Forums

Customs in Trinidad really STUPID!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » January 26th, 2018, 11:56 am

How can you base duty charges on an item using ONLY list prices you find online?
What happens when people get sales or buy items USED, these f'king moronic officers only want to look up prices on their phones and want to use those as the prices.
When you have an item shipped WITH AN INVOICE that has a value,, you cant charge people based on what you find realtime on your browser.

f'king idiots ! :twisted: :twisted:

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Customs in Trinidad really STUPID!

Postby Rovin » January 26th, 2018, 12:06 pm

cause trinis does run racket by making false invoice , putting used \ refurb stickers , declaring as a gift etc so cant blame d customs officers too much ...

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 26th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:How can you base duty charges on an item using ONLY list prices you find online?
What happens when people get sales or buy items USED, these f'king moronic officers only want to look up prices on their phones and want to use those as the prices.
When you have an item shipped WITH AN INVOICE that has a value,, you cant charge people based on what you find realtime on your browser.

White a letter to the comptroller of customs also CC that to the Minster in charged, the prime minister, leader of the opposition and your MP showing your disgust . Make sure and note to the comptroller of customs that you have forwarded your letter to those above. Provide any evidence har you have

It my sound as wasting your time but you will get a response.

I have done this a few times when dealing with government bussiness and I have gotten results.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » January 26th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Rovin's Audio wrote:cause trinis does run racket by making false invoice , putting used \ refurb stickers , declaring as a gift etc so cant blame d customs officers too much ...

Fighting corruption with corruption only leads to more corruption

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » January 26th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Buys PS4 and a hdmi cable, declare it as a hdmi cable only for US$10 8-)

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » January 26th, 2018, 2:05 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:
Rovin's Audio wrote:cause trinis does run racket by making false invoice , putting used \ refurb stickers , declaring as a gift etc so cant blame d customs officers too much ...

so how do you propose customs handle suspect valuations?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » January 26th, 2018, 3:27 pm

paid_influencer wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:

what they are supposed to do is tax the goods based on their type and condition.

if condition cannot be ascertained due to refurbishment or mislabeling of goods - ie new labelled as refurbished

customs has the right to hold goods till the proper documentation can be produced for said item proving the item is refurbished and not new.

if said documentation cannot be provided then the item should be taxed at market value. which is to be determined by said officer.

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » January 26th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Don’t think you understand what the person is saying

When u buy a product in the USA it is typically priced as :
1) MSRP - manufacturer suggested retail price
2) discounted price

With the selling price being equivalent to the discounted price as a marketing strategy in most cases.
The selling price is only equivalent to MSRP in high end stores / products. E.g. Apple

What customs does is that they use MSRP ( before discounted price) to calculated import taxes as per your invoice.
Which is not the price you pay for the product thereby paying higher prices for your product.

This is a totally different issue from under invoicing. In that case your item will be referred to valuations if required.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 26th, 2018, 7:21 pm

is a double edged sword. some people come out good, some times u dont...

sometimes multiple units of the same item got shipped separately and had totally different customs fees...

the system is,,, 'ah man' hadda say, 'see this here, we putting this amount of tax on it'
the calculations are worked out by the squirrels running around in his brain compounded by the mood that he is in and if he eat lunch yet.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » January 26th, 2018, 8:25 pm

sMASH wrote:is a double edged sword. some people come out good, some times u dont...

sometimes multiple units of the same item got shipped separately and had totally different customs fees...

the system is,,, 'ah man' hadda say, 'see this here, we putting this amount of tax on it'
the calculations are worked out by the squirrels running around in his brain compounded by the mood that he is in and if he eat lunch yet.

LOL same goes for politicians I guess.....

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » January 26th, 2018, 8:53 pm

francis1979 wrote:Don’t think you understand what the person is saying

When u buy a product in the USA it is typically priced as :
1) MSRP - manufacturer suggested retail price
2) discounted price

With the selling price being equivalent to the discounted price as a marketing strategy in most cases.
The selling price is only equivalent to MSRP in high end stores / products. E.g. Apple

What customs does is that they use MSRP ( before discounted price) to calculated import taxes as per your invoice.
Which is not the price you pay for the product thereby paying higher prices for your product.

never seen this happen.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » January 26th, 2018, 9:26 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:How can you base duty charges on an item using ONLY list prices you find online?

Many Trinis, use pdf and edit invoices. Going on years now adding lines like

Used, discount etc

That being said, there are still custom offices clearing items for their friends with little of no vat/duty paid

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » January 26th, 2018, 9:56 pm

So if I want a clear a container of clothing for sale? How they gonna value that? I getting items for 1usd etc

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » January 26th, 2018, 10:23 pm

paid_influencer wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:

System hadda change first. Some protocol to cut out the customer interfering with the invoice. So it goes direct from source to destination.

No trickidadians involved.

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » January 26th, 2018, 11:57 pm

This pretty much

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » January 27th, 2018, 8:16 am

Redress10 wrote:So if I want a clear a container of clothing for sale? How they gonna value that? I getting items for 1usd etc
It's up to the officer. More than likely the clothes would be in boxes inside so they may randomly selected one, a few or make you bring out all to inspect. See if the clothes match the description on the invoice or packing list and if looking suspicious assign a value they see fit to the clothing.

If you dispute the value you may have to get the supplier to go to a notary public in the country of origin to certify the value and send that documentation for you to clear it.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 27th, 2018, 8:53 am

j.o.e wrote:

This pretty much
Yep but the 1% breeze through customs

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » January 27th, 2018, 8:59 am

Defending custom officers is like defending drug pushers. They are small men who are told which containers NOT to check.

But the worse corruption is in customs

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » January 27th, 2018, 9:13 am

Is it true that customs adds the cost of shipping and insurance to your total and charge you duties on that too ? If so, what sense that makes ?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 27th, 2018, 9:48 am

Premchand1976 wrote:Is it true that customs adds the cost of shipping and insurance to your total and charge you duties on that too ? If so, what sense that makes ?
Yes they have to by law.

You paid both duty and vat on your Landed cost

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » January 27th, 2018, 10:09 am

But does it make sense ???? You pay duties and vat on a physical item.......shipping and insurance isn't ........unless sea water and ship steel we using to pin it to......lol

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 27th, 2018, 10:22 am

Premchand1976 wrote:But does it make sense ???? You pay duties and vat on a physical item.......shipping and insurance isn't ........unless sea water and ship steel we using to pin it to......lol
It's done in other countries

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 27th, 2018, 10:42 am

pete wrote:
Redress10 wrote:So if I want a clear a container of clothing for sale? How they gonna value that? I getting items for 1usd etc
It's up to the officer. More than likely the clothes would be in boxes inside so they may randomly selected one, a few or make you bring out all to inspect. See if the clothes match the description on the invoice or packing list and if looking suspicious assign a value they see fit to the clothing.

If you dispute the value you may have to get the supplier to go to a notary public in the country of origin to certify the value and send that documentation for you to clear it.

if you GENUINELY paid a certain discounted price for an item,its easy to prove it

locally they will ask for credit card statement stamped by the bank or sometimes even a screenshot of a paypal payment will work (but people does edit that in paint....and they realize this now...so they does want a stamped credit card statement)

or you can show them copies of the wire transfer at a certain date, screenshots of email communication etc....

if you genuinely paid a discounted price and the head ache is worth it for the extra money they charge you......then you can go to customs head office and deal with it

i had get some items seized a few years back....in customs in piarco they hold the shipment and wanted to value it at 200k or 500k or some sheit so while the value was like 15 or 20k

threaten me with $250,000 fine and lock up and false declaration bla bla bla

in front of me they gone on a US website that valued the items at $500 to $1500 USD each...then wanted to base the value at that

i pull out my phone to show them the emails where i paid what i paid....they threaten me..no cellphones allowed in customs...thats a charge (the customs officers in the airport and PAS cargo is the most hoggish people in the world)

had to end up going down POS by customs head office and talk to whoever was in charge that day .

man tell me that those officers in the airport like to intimidate people and they not too bright and how not to worry
let me use a PC they had there in the office to show him the prices i does get the items for.
from their pc they print it out, he stamp each page and sign it and tell me go back the airport with that and show them

u hadda decide if the headache worth it

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » January 27th, 2018, 11:37 am

When people complain about government service, this is what we are talking about

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » January 27th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Phone Surgeon

Is manufacturers prices I paying from China etc. So how they gonna go online and see an item that I getting in bulk for 1usd being sold for 25usd etc and try to charge me for that. They must be mad. What's the point of business then? I don't mind paying the right rates but any chupidness and I'll tell the person to let them keep it but knowing how low they are I know they'll give it to their families' to wear etc.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » January 27th, 2018, 3:38 pm

never had a headache.
resupplied the invoice, (there are numbers on those that can be verified with the issuer).
in the few instances i experienced, it was the skybox company posing those values and charges.

one in particular years ago charged me duty on a US$75 value for an item i paid US$9 for. After a few back and forths, i told them it cheaper for me to absorb the loss of US$9, than pay their fees.
Charges were suddenly reworked tot he lower value and item delivered.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 27th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Redress10 wrote:Phone Surgeon

Is manufacturers prices I paying from China etc. So how they gonna go online and see an item that I getting in bulk for 1usd being sold for 25usd etc and try to charge me for that. They must be mad. What's the point of business then? I don't mind paying the right rates but any chupidness and I'll tell the person to let them keep it but knowing how low they are I know they'll give it to their families' to wear etc.

Them simply show then the bank transactions

bassotronics
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby bassotronics » January 28th, 2018, 12:30 am

had a package come in this week via a courier who offering free shipping for the month of january, i paid 33US for the item, and they charged me duty and taxes for 100US. They say they don't believe the item would drop so much....even when i have a valid invoice from amazon.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » January 28th, 2018, 7:23 am

And you followed up and told them what they doing is illegal right? Unless you happy with that corruption.

Threatened to what zr said and issues like this won't happen. If invoice is provided they cannot make claims like that.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 28th, 2018, 8:45 am

maj. tom wrote:And you followed up and told them what they doing is illegal right? Unless you happy with that corruption.

Threatened to what zr said and issues like this won't happen. If invoice is provided they cannot make claims like that.
I had on going battles with various government services. I always write letters and emails and do get positive outcomes once you have evidence to support your claim. It does take some time .

All make sure that they know you forwarded your letters to others above them.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”