Forums

Ebony 104.1FM closes its doors

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

K74T
TunerGod

Ebony 104.1FM closes its doors

Postby K74T » February 17th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Adult urban radio station Ebony 104.1FM has shut down its operations.

Popular radio announcer Fabrice Francois was in studio when he along with five other radio announcers were called to an emergency meeting where they were of the management’s decision on Friday.

At the end of the meeting, however, Francois was not allowed to return to studio to wrap up his “Drive Time Ebony with Fabrice” segment or to inform listeners of the sudden decision.

This year would have been 16 years for Francois at the Newtown, Port-of-Spain-based station, which had thousands of listeners locally and internationally via an online feed as far as Dubai. He along with six other radio announcers, who were the only ones employed at the radio station, are now left without a job.

Ebony 104.1FM was one of four radio stations locally owned and incorporated by its parent company, Caribbean Lifestyle Communications. The organisation also owns a film and video production company and a diverse event production and management company, according to its website. Its owner, executive chairman and CEO is Anthony Maharaj, fondly called Tony Maharaj.

The only written correspondence on the issue was given on Friday to employees during a meeting called by management to announce the termination of its operations. Maharaj’s daughter, Karishma Maharaj, administrative manager/director, signed the letter, which indicated a decision was taken to cease operations from February 16. The letter also said there was no practicability of placing any of them in another format, “as to do so would result in an impractical incompatibility.”

Karishma then thanked employees, including freelancer announcers, and wished them success in their future endeavours.

Some employees yesterday recalled being called to a meeting over a year ago and being told the station was not making money. Rumours also surfaced thereafter of a possible buy-out by another popular media company.

One former employee, who wished not to be identified, said: “In January, we were given notice to turn around the station in one month till after Carnival, but it was not possible because everyone’s focus would have been on fetes. Management said they tried everything but we saw that they didn’t…we always felt like the outside child in the network.”

Contacted yesterday via email on the decision, Karishma Maharaj would only say that “the format was no longer viable in the current market.”

“We have decided to discontinue the Ebony format as of 1st March 2018, as our findings indicated that this format was no longer viable in the current market. While this decision was difficult, we must keep up with market changes (as do many other companies in our local and global economic climate). We thank our listeners, clients and our exceptional on-air crew for their support. Stay tuned for what’s coming to 104.1FM,” Maharaj said.

Francois yesterday described Ebony as “part of his life,” having been there from inception in 2002.

“It leaves a void in my life right now,” Francois said.

Another radio announcer and staff member Adrian Don Mora was packing up his belongings at the station when he was contacted yesterday.

“I just want to relax as this is all still soaking in…It’s been a good ride…an excellent ride over the few years with the organisation,” Don Mora said.

“Unfortunately, it wasn’t viable, in at least management’s opinion, and they have made the decision to close down the brand or re-brand or do something.”

An ardent listener to the station was so shocked on the news that she took to her Facebook page and wrote: “I came back on my FB page just for a little while to catch up, not knowing that I will see the news of my favourite radio station Ebony 104.1 FM is no more…Music is one of my lifelines…The crew at Ebony keeps me sane with the music and I have grown to love them…”

Another loyal listener, Dominic Hosein, described the programming as “perfect while on the go.”

“The announcers were there for years so a connection was made with listeners and presenters. I wish management could have done more to keep them around. The quality was way better than many of the urban stations in TT. I will miss each and everyone of them,” Hosein said.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2018-02-17/ebony-1041fm-closes-its-doors

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Ebony 104.1FM closes its doors

Postby Dizzy28 » February 17th, 2018, 11:41 pm

Wasn't even aware this station existed still.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 17th, 2018, 11:54 pm

legacy media. people chose what they listen to specifically now.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » February 18th, 2018, 12:03 am

when you really check it, it doh make sense to have so many fm radio stations in a market as small as ours. We have the same number of fm stations as most major cities in the USA, which doh make sense given our tiny population.

the future is these radio announcers transitioning into live work and online media personalities. They have twitter, people can follow them. no need for this archaic fm transmission equipment in the year of our lord 2018.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 18th, 2018, 7:12 am

Management move real cold there boi. could have at least allowed them a minute to wrap up the broadcast & inform the listening public.
I curious as to the why behind their now for now decision & implementation.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » February 18th, 2018, 8:29 am

88sins wrote:Management move real cold there boi. could have at least allowed them a minute to wrap up the broadcast & inform the listening public.
I curious as to the why behind their now for now decision & implementation.

simple.. tony cud make more money with he grocery.... ppl cud do without radio but yuh cant do without eating... :!:

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 18th, 2018, 10:40 am

That answers the decision aspect.
But the implementation could have been done a little differently is all I'm saying. I doubt that a 2 minute farewell sign off would burn that much current and time to make it impractical.

But then again I don't really listen to local stations much, other than 100.1

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » February 18th, 2018, 11:58 am

88sins wrote:That answers the decision aspect.
But the implementation could have been done a little differently is all I'm saying. I doubt that a 2 minute farewell sign off would burn that much current and time to make it impractical.

we all have to face the reality.. .times are changing and everyone wants the modern age.
you going to hardly find ppl who know about real music and such..everyone want the vybes cartel and soca and etc etc ...essentially the more "in music"

when was the last time you heard paul davis - i go crazy or stephen bishops' on and on -on the radio ???

face the reality... stations need to modernize or close its doors. no sense wasting cash operating a station that hardly persons listen to.....when that same cash can be used to generate more cash... << this is how business men think..

reality as it stands.... 95.1 went "urban" due to whatever reasons...
ebony 104 is closing doors....

more may be soon to come.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 18th, 2018, 1:27 pm

paid_influencer wrote:when you really check it, it doh make sense to have so many fm radio stations in a market as small as ours. We have the same number of fm stations as most major cities in the USA, which doh make sense given our tiny population.

the future is these radio announcers transitioning into live work and online media personalities. They have twitter, people can follow them. no need for this archaic fm transmission equipment in the year of our lord 2018.

Exactly.

With USB and smartphone tech, you don't need so much of music format radio stations anymore. That just leaves spoken/talk radio format where it is on borrowed time once talk show hosts begin to embrace podcasting and/or live streaming.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » February 18th, 2018, 2:25 pm

The_Honourable wrote:
paid_influencer wrote:when you really check it, it doh make sense to have so many fm radio stations in a market as small as ours. We have the same number of fm stations as most major cities in the USA, which doh make sense given our tiny population.

Exactly.

With USB and smartphone tech, you don't need so much of music format radio stations anymore. That just leaves spoken/talk radio format where it is on borrowed time once talk show hosts begin to embrace podcasting and/or live streaming.

I would definitely support local podcasts..especially like the 95 talk on a Thursday evenings is it.

Tho i have to admit its refreshing sometimes on a morning to listen to some stations like 105 for their mixed nuts segment. Classic trini comess and voices from the old heads really does open your mind of how brilliant and patriotic our country's people can be

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 18th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Probably don't want them to say anything out of timing to all the listeners when they find out they fired

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » February 18th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:

Probably don't want them to say anything out of timing to all the listeners when they find out they fired

not only that, but the radio station would be legally liable for anything said during that 2-minutes of glory

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 18th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Once Tony doesn't close down 90.5 then I good, I does listen to plain talk at nights, every now and then I does hear that one UNC fella from south who always saying he go drink gramoxone under PNM then he does cuss on air and they does have to cut him off and apologize for the language used.

Never a dull moment on that talk show

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 18th, 2018, 8:08 pm

seems like the same moment repeating

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 18th, 2018, 8:29 pm

skylinechild wrote:

we all have to face the reality.. .times are changing and everyone wants the modern age.
you going to hardly find ppl who know about real music and such..everyone want the vybes cartel and soca and etc etc ...essentially the more "in music"

when was the last time you heard paul davis - i go crazy or stephen bishops' on and on -on the radio ???

face the reality... stations need to modernize or close its doors. no sense wasting cash operating a station that hardly persons listen to.....when that same cash can be used to generate more cash... << this is how business men think..

reality as it stands.... 95.1 went "urban" due to whatever reasons...
ebony 104 is closing doors....

more may be soon to come.

try listening to 97.1 especially on a sunday afternoon [even on 103.5fm] , u guaranteed to hear stuff like that with very little ads ......

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 18th, 2018, 8:32 pm

look at how many stations are available , i probably only listen to a handful ...

http://www.trinidadradiostations.net

steverandolph
3NE 2NR for life

Postby steverandolph » February 18th, 2018, 10:47 pm

No 1 oh 3 no care #notaffectedrumtillidie

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » February 19th, 2018, 9:13 am

Ebony 104 Press Release

In a follow up to the news on Saturday of the change in format at the Ebony Radio station which resulted in the sending home of the station's announcers.

Kiran Maharaj, Managing Director at Caribbean Lifestyles Communications the group under which the radio station falls issued a statement to CNews late on Saturday evening to clear up any misconceptions about the change in format of the radio station.

The statement's exact words were.

"We have decided to discontinue the Ebony format as of 1st March 2018, as our findings indicated that this format was no longer viable in the current market.

While this decision was difficult, we must keep up with market changes as do many other companies in our local and global economic climate.

We thank our listeners, clients and our exceptional on-air crew for their support."

http://ctvtt.com/ctv/index.php/c-news/news/item/54362-ebony-104-press-release

Mercenary
Riding on 18's

Postby Mercenary » February 24th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Good riddance

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 2nd, 2018, 6:51 pm

so only today i put on my radio & heard that from yesterday march 1st that heartbeat 103.5fm is now also on 104.1fm

like they making a gradual transition on d fm band & eventually will close off 103.5 but it look like ebony is now fully extinct ...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 2nd, 2018, 10:33 pm

who cares?
if enough people did, they would not need to close.

95.1 trying to keep up, their wednesdays are amazballs.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » March 3rd, 2018, 3:15 pm

sMASH wrote:who cares?
if enough people did, they would not need to close.

95.1 trying to keep up, their wednesdays are amazballs.

since they did that remix crap....i stopped tuning in.. my cd player prob never see soo much work -....and yes meh deck cud play flash drive too eah.... doh get disrespectful...

i will TRY to tune in for the mike ross shows.... but boi... it hard to stand those annoying radio hosts..

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 3rd, 2018, 6:08 pm

wednesday is totally awesome, realll 90's with some 80's
the hosts are the only problem. in the evenings, i feel they pay them to talk so that they would not have to pay royalty/copyright fees for running tracks.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » March 3rd, 2018, 8:48 pm

Morning shift even more annoying buy wed mix is quite good but again d yappin in the mornjng does make u change stations

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » March 11th, 2018, 10:05 am

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » March 11th, 2018, 11:28 am

Yeah noticed that 104.1 currently simulcasting 103.5 since last week.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 13th, 2018, 2:30 pm

well i posted that on march 2nd , it began on march 1st & they said from april it will be fully 104.1fm .... like i said b4 : doh mind they market it to women but its good music everybody can listen to with not as much ads like others

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”