Forums

DIY restoration of weak led-acid car batteries

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

DIY restoration of weak led-acid car batteries

Postby 88sins » March 18th, 2018, 8:23 am

Well fellas I did a quick search & didn't find anything on this particular topic here, so I thought I'd make this post .
But first, a little back story.
Had a battery give up the ghost on me the other day. I was parked waiting for the wife at an appointment, playing a lil music in the car, subs amp turned off & volume low, while playing a game on the phone. After 20 minutes she called to say she'd be coming out in 10 minutes. So I decide to start the car in the meantime. Well all I got was a slow tumble, & the second try I got nuttn but clicks. Battery dead. Or so I thought. So, I closed up the car, & walked across the road & bought a new battery. Got back to the car, Pulled out the multimeter & tested the new battery & saw 12.7v. Good to go as per expectations. Decided to test the old battery one time, so I put the meter on it &it was reading 10.3 v. So voltage & amps were too low to start the car. No shocker here, so I put in the new one, started the car, checked to be sure alternator was charging & it was putting out 14.2v without load, & with total load that dropped to 13.1v & idle & went back up to 14.2v wit some revs. So all was good, I put the old battery on the back seat floor, got in the car with the madam & away we went.

That night, I remembered I still had the weak battery in the car & decided to see if it could be revived. After doing some thinking & a lil research I decided to give it a try, thinking if it works, cool & I'd just keep it charged on standby in storage in case someone needed a jump start or whatever, & if not I had to dispose of it anyway, so no real loss. But I wanted confirmations from a battery professional before I did anything, just to proof my results after the restoration attempt. Took it to them & they charged it over a weekend, & when they disconnected it from the charger & they tested it in front of me it was 12.4v & dropping fast, & load testing showed it was weak. They said probably a defective cell was the issue. So I thought I'd give the restoration attempt a go. Well the result is, the restoration actually worked, & this post is just to share what I did in case anyone want's to try it themselves.
DISCLAIMER: This will not work for all weak or dead batteries. If you accustomed to running a battery to nothing often & it was never properly maintained to begin with this may not work on your particular battery.

So I tried a method I found on a battery forum, where they used magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) to restore a dead battery.
Things you'll need:
Gloves
Goggles(optional if you are careful)
A funnel
A clean large bowl or bucket
1 gallon distilled water
1 large bag epsom salts
Coffee filter(optional)
a 12v power supply putting out anywhere between 2-8 amps, or jumper cables (if your car gas tank full & alternator & regulator working properly)

Mix & dissolve completely the epsom salts in the distilled water.
Then clean the top of the battery, & remove the covers & empty all the battery electrolyte in the bowl/bucket & set it safely aside. DO NOT throw it away, you will be putting it back shortly. It may come out looking grey or black depending on how much lead is dissolved in it.
Fill the battery with the dissolved epsom salts, making sure all the plates are submerged. For really big batteries if all the plates aren't submerged add distilled water till they are, shake to mix & leave standing for 15-30 minutes.
Safely drain the epsom salts solution from the battery & dispose of it. There will be some acid mixed in with it, so be careful.
Get your funnel, coffee filter & the bowl/bucket of electrolyte. No coffee filter? No problem, it isn't mandatory. Put a coffee filter in the funnel, place the funnel in the battery fill holes & filter the electolyte while putting it back into the battery. When all the cells are refilled, wipe up any spills & leave the battery uncovered.
Connect your trickle charger, ideally you want something putting out at most 14v & 2A, amps can be higher, but not more than 8A. Leave the battery to charge, the longer you can leave it the better but 12 hrs at 2 amps should be sufficient at least for testing purposes. If you don't have a trickle charger then one can be made very easily from an old pc power supply if you have one lying around or are willing to buy one. Steps on that to come later on for those interested.

After 12 hrs, disconnect the charger, & test the voltage & load capabilities of your reconditioned battery. When you disconnect, the voltage will drop but it should level out at no less than 12.4v & hold steady there. If it continues to drop but very slowly reconnect the charger & leave for another 12 hrs.

After my attempt I took it back to the battery pros for testing & they told me that electrolyte test shows good results, & it's holding a charge & performing well under load. In other words, battery performing properly as it should.

Just wanted to share the xp, & I hope this helps somebody.
Happy Sunday morning tuners

EDIT:
I drained the battery completely if all current before the restoration attempt. It isn't necessary, but I did it anyway in an effort to be as thorough as possible.
Last edited by 88sins on March 18th, 2018, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Re: DIY restoration of weak led-acid car batteries

Postby SR » March 18th, 2018, 8:29 am

I sell a battery charger/reconditioner that will desulphate the plates without even disconnecting the battery from the vehicle

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 18th, 2018, 7:00 pm

i eh goin thru all dat drama nah

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/BC1220A-12V-2 ... p_160.html

read up on how this charger works

i own 1 & its excellent ...

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » March 18th, 2018, 7:25 pm

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 18th, 2018, 8:30 pm

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » March 18th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Lithium charger will be around 2k max but do you really need a lithium the regular 50watt was $1400 can do 6 batteries in parallel. An installer bought the last 2 in stock last weekend new order doing next week when i meetup with the owner of the company

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » March 19th, 2018, 9:47 am

SR wrote:I sell a battery charger/reconditioner that will desulphate the plates without even disconnecting the battery from the vehicle

nuttn wrong with the product you're selling. gtk. but this thread & the method I used is geared more towards the DIYer that might want to rejuvenate a battery or two that they may have lying around, maybe just to keep in storage in case they need a jumpstart or to power a 12v device or something. isn't really directed for people looking to recharge multiple batteries all at once on regular basis or on a commercial level.
desulphating a battery with a charger requires a device that can put out approx 16.5 volts & 4 amps connected to the battery in order to break down & dissolve the sulphate so it goes back into the electrolyte. A pc power supply can supply this, once configured correctly, & it's actually very easy to do.

But as regards the cost:
A gallon of distilled water-$22.00
1lb bag of epsom salts-$9.00
2 gloves-approx $2.00
pc power supply-$90.00 to $125.00, depending on brand & power rating (anything rated over 700w will work fine)

Grand total-$158.00

I feel my method beat's your charger back in price by a lil bit. But like I said, it's really for those that like DIY projects.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » March 19th, 2018, 9:59 am

Actually my product is a much better way to rejuvinate the battery without having to deal with hazardous materials as well as proper disposal. The smallest unit retails for $750 and its fool proof. Question. How did you dispose of the materials when completed?. Your 12 volt pc power supply only provides a trickle charge method as opposed to pulse charging that is controlled by constant monitoring of the battery condition while charging.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » March 19th, 2018, 11:34 am

SR wrote:Actually my product is a much better way to rejuvinate the battery without having to deal with hazardous materials as well as proper disposal. The smallest unit retails for $750 and its fool proof. Question. How did you dispose of the materials when completed?. Your 12 volt pc power supply only provides a trickle charge method as opposed to pulse charging that is controlled by constant monitoring of the battery condition while charging.

I used a neutralizing agent in the magnesium sulphate solution after draining to bring the pH to 0, then filtered out the lead particulate, bottled & labeled the liquid & wrapped & labeled the fine particulate sediment & left for chemical waste disposal to pick up.
EDIT
I don't like the idea of lead-laced fluids leeching into the ground & potentially contaminating the groundwater sources or becoming airborne. I'm used to handling lead in it's various forms & know the potential hazards.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”