TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Acceptable lifespan for average car battery!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Re: Acceptable lifespan for average car battery!

Postby supercharged turbo » September 5th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Had one bosch battery last lest than a year with plenty run around from the dealer and another over 3 years comfortable.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » September 5th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Optima yellow top now hit 8 years.
Starts car normal, voltage drop to 12.1v with music loud, but realise with vehicle switched off the reserve capacity isn't there.
Considering a pricesmart redtop or wait till it finally caputs.

joe_d_boss
3NE 2NR for life

Postby joe_d_boss » September 6th, 2019, 8:14 am

src1983 wrote:My Bosch lasted 5 years before showing signs of failure

Yes, I find the Bosch S4 series to be really good. You can get a good 5 years with them, and I am constantly driving because of my job in sales.

As for what is acceptable, I would say 3 years solid for the average-priced battery, but the Bosch costs more and you truly get more for the extra that they cost.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 6th, 2019, 9:22 am

rollingstock wrote:Optima yellow top now hit 8 years.
Starts car normal, voltage drop to 12.1v with music loud, but realise with vehicle switched off the reserve capacity isn't there.
Considering a pricesmart redtop or wait till it finally caputs.

WOW.
That's some kind of record for a battery down here yes

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » September 6th, 2019, 9:42 am

joe_d_boss wrote:

Yes, I find the Bosch S4 series to be really good. You can get a good 5 years with them, and I am constantly driving because of my job in sales.

As for what is acceptable, I would say 3 years solid for the average-priced battery, but the Bosch costs more and you truly get more for the extra that they cost.

My one time I bought a bosch s4 it failed after just over a year. Got plenty run around about the warranty. Eventually had to shine them up on fb and go to consumer affairs then got it replaced :roll:

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » September 6th, 2019, 10:59 am

Meh Turbo 2001 making ah 5 years come November. No lazy tumble but resting voltage does be around 12.1 - 12.2v — will replace just to be on the safe side...:cool:

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 6th, 2019, 11:41 am

hydroep wrote:Meh Turbo 2001 making ah 5 years come November. No lazy tumble but resting voltage does be around 12.1 - 12.2v — will replace just to be on the safe side...:cool:
Your battery is at about 40%-50% of original capacity.

dan86
Street 2NR

Postby dan86 » September 6th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Musical Doc wrote:
joe_d_boss wrote:

My one time I bought a bosch s4 it failed after just over a year. Got plenty run around about the warranty. Eventually had to shine them up on fb and go to consumer affairs then got it replaced :roll:

I just changed a Bosch S4 after 5 years. It was still starting the car but gave a lazy tumble after being parked over the weekend. Had an S4 in another car that lasted 4 yrs. Left the car by painter and it ran down for a month and didnt last long after that. I replace it with another S4 and that going on 3 years.

That being said, the vibe i get from the seller after one issue makes me believe that any warranty claim will be a real pain and runaround.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » September 6th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Question, I see a battery seller change out batteries while the car running... Is this a no no or is it ok?? I never did it but I don't think that's a safe practice

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » September 6th, 2019, 2:44 pm

adnj wrote:
hydroep wrote:Meh Turbo 2001 making ah 5 years come November. No lazy tumble but resting voltage does be around 12.1 - 12.2v — will replace just to be on the safe side...:cool:
Your battery is at about 40%-50% of original capacity.

Thanks, I was checking my records and it's been stable around 12.22v since October last year and has since been slowly declining. It probably has life in it yet, but between the acid bath and potholes I don't trust the internal links to last much longer.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » September 6th, 2019, 2:59 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Question, I see a battery seller change out batteries while the car running... Is this a no no or is it ok?? I never did it but I don't think that's a safe practice

...In the old days of generators and magnetos their would be no problems. In a current car the charging circuits will be unstable. Meaning spikes in voltage and current. Circuit boards don’t handle either well. Damage will vary but ignition, fuel injection, and dash pods are good prospects for damage...

...Your battery does more than just provide electrical current. It also shorts AC, spikes and transients to ground. Removing the battery from the circuit allows those spikes and transients to travel around, potentially destroying every semiconductor circuit in your vehicle. The ECU, the speed sensitive steering, the memory seat adjustments, the cruise control, and the vehicle’s stereo as well. I’ve never been struck by a bus but I’ve never stepped out in front of one either. Some mechanics still do this little feat and some are lucky and some…not so much...

https://community.cartalk.com/t/what-happens-if-i-disconnect-the-battery-while-my-car-is-running/82462/2

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 6th, 2019, 6:52 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Question, I see a battery seller change out batteries while the car running... Is this a no no or is it ok?? I never did it but I don't think that's a safe practice

It's a no no... you at risk screwing over your electrical system. You could have gotten away with that in older vehicles that didn't have sensitive electronics.

Only time i recall doing that is to help a padna start his old ford laser. His battery died and we had no jumper cables. Took my battery out, put it in his vehicle, start, then switch back to the bad battery within 20 seconds with the engine running. Told him not to idle at all when stopping. If he has to, put the gear on neutral or park and rev up a bit so it would not cut off. He reached home safely.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » September 6th, 2019, 9:36 pm

The_Honourable wrote:

It's a no no... you at risk screwing over your electrical system. You could have gotten away with that in older vehicles that didn't have sensitive electronics.

in a perfect world, it's best to avoid the practice if at all possible. But this can be done safely, IF the person doing it knows what they doing, and what the vehicle is doing.
As long as extreme care is taken to ensure that at no time should the positive battery terminal contact any grounded part of the vehicle, it can be done. One can either hold the positive terminal in your hand as far as possible away from everything metal or electrical at all times during the swap (risky), or wrap it in a non-conductive material in case it might fall.
In most vehicles, even newer ones, the alternator is grounded (negative side) to the engine and chassis. So a negative battery terminal touching these areas while the alternator is generating current (engine runnig & alternator spinning) doesn't have much of an ill effect. But if the positive side is never connected to the chassis or engine, and if ever it did it'd create a short circuit that could damage an ECU, alternator, sensors & wiring.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » September 6th, 2019, 9:51 pm

as a side note
for those ona budget that can't afford those fancy mini jumpstarters or those multi purpose units with compressor/ light/charger/jumpstarter all in one, it's not a bad idea to keep a fully charged good 7-8AH battery handy in vehicle if you have one. last I priced them they were about 150-250 for one depending on brand and supplier, and it can help start a vehicle with a weak or even almost dead battery.

this is really aimed at them fellas that HATE asking for a jump start form yuh neighbor, or those just want to be a bit more self sufficient in emergency situations (imagine you being far from home and the last vehicle leaving an area with not much vehicular traffic and yuh realize yuh battery deader than yuh great-granpa's jimmy)

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » August 26th, 2020, 10:41 pm

Update:

Since I started tracking battery longevity, the longest I've gotten was 32 mths with an AC Delco as mentioned earlier ITT.

So we replaced that ACD with another one and thus far, 16 mths later, we have no issues.

We also have an Aurora battery made by Atlas. It's a Korean brand, a subsidiary of Hankook. 15 mths later and we're still good to go.

Tell us about the length of time your batteries are lasting so we can all form better opinions, thanks.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » August 26th, 2020, 11:22 pm

32 months is good, I usually change at about 36 months.

When I carry the car in for a servicing I let them check the battery as well and usually at about 36 months you begin to see the degradation.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » August 27th, 2020, 7:16 am

what's the average lifepsan allyuh getting off an Optima yellow top battery these days?
Considering getting one for a stock vehicle with no electrical heavy load

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » August 27th, 2020, 7:36 am

I have one 8 years and another 6 years.
The older one was showing signs of diminished capacity. Took out the vehicle and replaced with a lead acid and placed it on a charger with a desulfating mode and its back to 12.6v

I've heard of some persons only getting 2 years from theirs though.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » August 27th, 2020, 7:50 am

Nice, thnx is. Gonna pick one up today.
The current battery not failing yet, still reading 12..6-7, but it's about 24 months old so probably best to replace it before it fails.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 27th, 2020, 8:04 am

optima in pricesmart ?

G-DUB
3NE 2NR for life

Postby G-DUB » August 27th, 2020, 8:28 am

Have a Alphacell 5 1/2 years now in a hilux, tested it last week 1146 CA and load tested at 12v.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » August 27th, 2020, 10:47 am

pugboy wrote:optima in pricesmart ?

nah, going by Steve's. it closer to home anyway

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 27th, 2020, 10:58 am

i have 6 optima yellow bought 9yrs ago , had d made in mexico tag on them , doh take no chain up from competitive sellers bout optima using recycle lead or made in mexico - dise BS

most of d time they were in my music van which never really got much use & they ran down plenty times , only 1 died few mths ago so far probably got run down way more than d others , have 1 in my wagon 5yrs , 1 in a diesel pickup bout 3yrs , 1 in my L300 as a starter batt , 2 in my store to test products that get recharged now\then

all still running good so far ... had a pricesmart a time that lasted nearly 4yrs, but i guess overall its how often u use ur car & how many times a day u start up which determines how long they last, if u have more than stock music or other additional stuff well that too

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » August 27th, 2020, 11:27 am

9 years :shock: I guess my next battery is an Optima.

33 hertz
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 33 hertz » August 27th, 2020, 11:30 am

Optima now a has distributor in trinidad. They offer a full 2 year replacement warranty and have most of the models in stock. Give them a shout 498-1884. They also do delivery

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 27th, 2020, 11:43 am

battery lifespan has a lot to do with how many deep demands it gets
ie starts
a battery in a vehicle starting several times a day will last much longer than one starting twice a day

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » August 27th, 2020, 1:19 pm

pugboy wrote:battery lifespan has a lot to do with how many deep demands it gets
ie starts
a battery in a vehicle starting several times a day will last much longer than one starting twice a day

always thought it was the other way around

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » September 8th, 2020, 11:14 pm

Fellas, if ya had to get the cheapest battery you could, what would you opt for? It's for a regular old car and normal use. Not expecting it to last a full 2 years even, just need sumn cheap which won't blow up. Thanks.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 9th, 2020, 4:23 am

Oops yeah

NR8 wrote:
pugboy wrote:battery lifespan has a lot to do with how many deep demands it gets
ie starts

always thought it was the other way around

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » September 9th, 2020, 6:45 am

Soul Collector wrote:Fellas, if ya had to get the cheapest battery you could, what would you opt for? It's for a regular old car and normal use. Not expecting it to last a full 2 years even, just need sumn cheap which won't blow up. Thanks.

Unless the wiring in the vehicle has several serious problems any local made lead acid battery will work fine and not "blow up". All properly built batteries have vents to allow gases to escape so they don't explode from pressure buildup. If your wiring jacked up the car will faster ketch fire than anything.
Carry it by an electrician for a check through if you really concerned about possible problems.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”