TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

$$Engineer Vs Medicine (PROS AND CONS)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: $$Engineer Vs Medicine (PROS AND CONS)

Postby nervewrecker » April 20th, 2018, 9:52 pm

rspann wrote:Somebody has to let her know that's not the way for a young woman of her age and aspirations to carry on.
Pms

kinnie
Street 2NR

Postby kinnie » April 20th, 2018, 10:19 pm

The_Honourable wrote:
kinnie wrote:Thank you so much, you've been the most helpful (among others) ill ask a friend whose currently studying to get into medicine and who knows if I get the opportunity to meet a doctor I'll ask them too

Thanks

Not a problem. I have a serious outta timing question to ask you, but there is a reason i'm asking because it may impact you to a degree in the health sector.

I'm basing on your profile photo but want to be sure, are you afro-trinidadian (black)?
Yeah lmao, I dont think that's gonna be a issue because trinidad need doctors lmao and its not about the color of my skin or my hair type either way I will get employed

kinnie
Street 2NR

Postby kinnie » April 20th, 2018, 10:21 pm

rspann wrote:Somebody has to let her know that's not the way for a young woman of her age and aspirations to carry on.
Lol leave me alone, tbh you expect me to be soft?
And by the way im very mature for my age, not because I told you to mind your damn business doesnt means otherwise

kinnie
Street 2NR

Postby kinnie » April 20th, 2018, 10:27 pm

steverandolph wrote:
rspann wrote:15 yrs old ,wants to be a doctor,and all that attitude and language ?

This. Our youth gone yea, no manners.Kinnie you 15, check me in 3 years I go teach you a thing or 2.
You guys dont understand, im asking early because Its a time consuming career and I wanna start early, as soon as im out of secondary so stop saying I should go to church and walk my dog lmao

I have NESC in a month or so and the reason im asking is because I wanna choose science.
So obviously I gotta set my mind straight so that when I come out of CXC ill be pumping 1's
If I chose another field then I might not be as motivated, and I wont really work hard enough, probably get 2's

Moobs
Street 2NR

Postby Moobs » April 21st, 2018, 8:28 am

De older you get, the more you will realize that school is pointless...

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » April 21st, 2018, 4:31 pm

kinnie wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:
kinnie wrote:Thank you so much, you've been the most helpful (among others) ill ask a friend whose currently studying to get into medicine and who knows if I get the opportunity to meet a doctor I'll ask them too

Thanks

Not a problem. I have a serious outta timing question to ask you, but there is a reason i'm asking because it may impact you to a degree in the health sector.

I'm basing on your profile photo but want to be sure, are you afro-trinidadian (black)?
Yeah lmao, I dont think that's gonna be a issue because trinidad need doctors lmao and its not about the color of my skin or my hair type either way I will get employed

Cool. The reason I asked, there are allegations for over a decade that the St Augustine medical faculty accepting mostly Indo-Trinidadians while Afro-Trinidadians get blank and forced to go St George's University in Grenada or UWI Mona Campus in Jamaica to do their studies... even though they score the same marks or better. . I personally know of 2-3 afro-trini students who got all distinctions in 8-9-10 subjects even scholarships but get blank because of some lame excuse. Then those same docs will say to get into the faculty is "highly competitive". These students after getting their degree sometimes come back Trinidad while others stay or work in other islands.

When you do get your degree and start to practice, there will be occasions where the public would think that you are a nurse or a clerk and not the doctor. Usually in the health service, doctors are mostly indos, mixed and some foreigners here and there while afros are found in other areas such as nursing.

You might encounter an all out racist senior doctor but students are sometimes scared to complain or they just go somewhere else. Other than to that, you would not experience direct racism but you will realize that something is off. Keep in mind that because you are black, many will not take you dream seriously especially if you didn't come from a "prestige" school.

Letting you know all of this so you (and others like you) will be aware what you may be up against.

kinnie
Street 2NR

Postby kinnie » April 21st, 2018, 7:17 pm

The_Honourable wrote:
kinnie wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:

Thanks

Cool. The reason I asked, there are allegations for over a decade that the St Augustine medical faculty accepting mostly Indo-Trinidadians while Afro-Trinidadians get blank and forced to go St George's University in Grenada or UWI Mona Campus in Jamaica to do their studies... even though they score the same marks or better. . I personally know of 2-3 afro-trini students who got all distinctions in 8-9-10 subjects even scholarships but get blank because of some lame excuse. Then those same docs will say to get into the faculty is "highly competitive". These students after getting their degree sometimes come back Trinidad while others stay or work in other islands.

When you do get your degree and start to practice, there will be occasions where the public would think that you are a nurse or a clerk and not the doctor. Usually in the health service, doctors are mostly indos, mixed and some foreigners here and there while afros are found in other areas such as nursing.

You might encounter an all out racist senior doctor but students are sometimes scared to complain or they just go somewhere else. Other than to that, you would not experience direct racism but you will realize that something is off. Keep in mind that because you are black, many will not take you dream seriously especially if you didn't come from a "prestige" school.

Letting you know all of this so you (and others like you) will be aware what you may be up against.
Thanks, I appeciate your honesty but that won't stop me, if my country won't have me even tho I have the a levels and the education requirements then I might as well serve another country, Its true, indians, high color people are getting all the good jobs, but it is what it is I guess ill cross that bridge when I reach it and I also wanna empower my fellow africans, let them know that they can be anything they set their mind too

Lots of talk for a 15 year old right? Your probably just watching this and saying " ha lol I remember when I wanted to be a engineer, guess somethings doesn't work out how we plan them "
I don't care what they throw at me, ill volunteer at hospitals so that they can accept me, ill do what it takes
Here I am talking and I haven't even started NCSE yet lol but don't worry I got this
And im sure ill meet some good people along the way, that'll motivate me and help me through it

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » April 22nd, 2018, 3:58 pm

Cool... well good luck!

Mark007
Street 2NR

Postby Mark007 » April 23rd, 2018, 9:15 am

zaboca wrote:You can still be an engineer, but just steer clear of the oil and gas industry.
Why not aim for the clean energy sector? An engineer specializing in solar/wind/hydroelectric power, since that seems to be the emerging industry.

Great idea, but do we have anything like that right now in Trinidad? If so which companies..

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » April 23rd, 2018, 9:25 am

Your form 4 subjects should not limit you right now ensure you choice the add maths, physics, chem and bio. This will open up your selection. A levels will make the difference again you want maths and physics. Stick with science subjects as that will allow you to go into either Med, Eng, or Business. You are very young still and you still have the world at your feet so try and select subjects that give you the wisest choices.

kinnie
Street 2NR

Postby kinnie » April 23rd, 2018, 12:56 pm

triniboi49 wrote:Your form 4 subjects should not limit you right now ensure you choice the add maths, physics, chem and bio. This will open up your selection. A levels will make the difference again you want maths and physics. Stick with science subjects as that will allow you to go into either Med, Eng, or Business. You are very young still and you still have the world at your feet so try and select subjects that give you the wisest choices.
Thankss

R3TROB3N
Ricer

Postby R3TROB3N » May 30th, 2018, 12:58 am

RBphoto wrote:Dis sheit again? Long story short, if you don't know how to invest your money and make both passive and active income apart from your professional work, you will be doomed to a life of abject failure no matter your career route. Study hard and reach the top o your career in both education and experience, but try to let the goal be for your other sources of income to surpass your primary professional salary.

lmao man hit the facts, but bmt how do ppl go about making that, cause for trinidad that concept of passive income still seem super alien here.

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » June 4th, 2018, 10:25 pm

R3TROB3N wrote:
RBphoto wrote:Dis sheit again? Long story short, if you don't know how to invest your money and make both passive and active income apart from your professional work, you will be doomed to a life of abject failure no matter your career route. Study hard and reach the top o your career in both education and experience, but try to let the goal be for your other sources of income to surpass your primary professional salary.

lmao man hit the facts, but bmt how do ppl go about making that, cause for trinidad that concept of passive income still seem super alien here.

Hoss, I have heard doctors bad talk other doctors who rent out their personal mansion grounds and swimming pools for parties and fete and swimming class, aqua aerobics etc as lacking class and bringing down the profession. Like WTF.. money in your pocket is money in your pocket.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » June 4th, 2018, 11:58 pm

RBphoto wrote:
Hoss, I have heard doctors bad talk other doctors who rent out their personal mansion grounds and swimming pools for parties and fete and swimming class, aqua aerobics etc as lacking class and bringing down the profession. Like WTF.. money in your pocket is money in your pocket.

crabs in a bucket

Namca
Riding on 13's

Postby Namca » November 27th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Excuse me? Atleast i know what I want and im trying to get there, unlike other "young women" in secondary school, you should have more respect for me, as I did nothing wrong but ask some simple questions

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » November 28th, 2018, 10:16 am

You cannot compare the mental and psychological hurricane of being a doctor to anything else. So if you have to think about one or the other, go to the other, imho doctors are specially made up mentally and psychologically for that job, I know many doctors who couldn't take it after a few years. It's a job you cannot really pay enough for, ie for good docs

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”