Damn.

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Damn.

Postby shogun » April 17th, 2018, 12:00 am

Kendrick Lamar Wins Pulitzer Prize for ‘Damn’

Kendrick Lamar has won a Pulitzer Prize for music for his album “Damn.,” the organization announced Monday afternoon. It was the first win for a non-classical or jazz musician since the awards began including music some 75 years ago.

The Pulitzer board deemed the album “a virtuosic song collection unified by its vernacular authenticity and rhythmic dynamism that offers affecting vignettes capturing the complexity of modern African-American life.” While Lamar himself — who made two guest appearances at California’s Coachella festival over the weekend — did not immediately respond to requests for comment, Punch, head of Lamar’s label Top Dawg Entertainment, tweeted: “Pulitzer Prize winner Kdot from Compton. I [better] not ever hear one of you n—as speak with anything less than respect in your mouth for Kendrick Lamar. #TDE.”

Host Dana Canedy seemed quietly delighted when making the announcement, and in an interview with the New York Times on Monday said, ““We are very proud of this selection. It means that the jury and the board judging system worked as it’s supposed to — the best work was awarded a Pulitzer Prize. It shines a light on hip-hop in a completely different way. This is a big moment for hip-hop music and a big moment for the Pulitzers.”

Musically, his albums have challenged both himself and hip-hop’s standards: While “Good Kid” was a kaleidoscopic take on Lamar’s own life and upbringing in a thoroughly melodic yet hard-hitting musical context, his next album was a deep challenge to his audience: He enlisted a battery of Los Angeles jazz musicians to back him, and while songs like the Isley Brothers-sampling “Alright” — an unofficial anthem of the Black Lives Matter movement — were relatively straightforward musically, others were challenging even to jazz heads. And while “Damn.” is a return to more conventional hip-hop overall, it is not without its challenges: For example, the second half of “D.N.A.” features three different musical elements that barely seem to have anything to do with each other.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Damn.

Postby skylinechild » April 17th, 2018, 12:08 am

i just wanted to be 2nd post on this thread....

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » April 17th, 2018, 12:23 am

Huh...

MarlonSam
3NE 2NR for life

Postby MarlonSam » April 17th, 2018, 1:33 am

who ??....

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » April 17th, 2018, 6:39 am

Gave him a try. Can't deny it's more quality than most modern rap but the only thing I found interesting is how white people turn into ivy league social anthropologists to explain his work's importance.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 17th, 2018, 9:10 am

DAMNNN Daniel

Hawk26
Riding on 13's

Postby Hawk26 » April 17th, 2018, 9:37 am

Wow! I'm not a fan but I like his music.

dougla_boy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby dougla_boy » April 17th, 2018, 10:08 am

Les Bain wrote:Gave him a try. Can't deny it's more quality than most modern rap but the only thing I found interesting is how white people turn into ivy league social anthropologists to explain his work's importance.

the amount of truth in this eh!
didnt believe he was any good previously, however, I started hearing a few songs, an man, he is fire!

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » April 17th, 2018, 2:43 pm

K.Dot winning long time.

Average
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Average » April 17th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Another "oh hey I'm black look what I can do" scene.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » April 17th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Tried listening to his music. Still don’t see the appeal

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » April 17th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Les Bain wrote:Gave him a try. Can't deny it's more quality than most modern rap but the only thing I found interesting is how white people turn into ivy league social anthropologists to explain his work's importance.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Les Bain wrote:Can't deny it's more quality than most modern rap

Thaz mainly the commercial/charts sh!t

As usual with most genres, the lion's share of the good stuff is happening on the underground/indie scene.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”