Forums

Video games bringing violence to homes

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Re: Video games bringing violence to homes

Postby Coppershot » April 24th, 2018, 8:14 pm

There is something called the ESRB rating system, it was implemented decades ago. Similarly when you watch R rated shows on tv, there is a parental guidance display as well to inform you if its suitable for the intended audience.

A parent simply has to watch the rating of game and determine if its a suitable purchase for their children.
This reminds me of parents who carried their children to watch "Deadpool" then got upset because it was too violent, ignoring all the movie rating, ignoring the warning at the beginning of the movie etc.

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx

e.g.
Shadow of the Colossus Rated "T" on the case (bottom left).

Even if you can`t find the game case, its right there on the disc as well., God of War rated "M" (left).

On the online stores for digital downloads, it there as well
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0001-CUSA08600_00-THECREW2SCEA0000
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/rocket-league/c125w9bg2k0v?cid=msft_web_chart
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-switch

They make it very easy to determine the right game for your child.

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » April 24th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » April 24th, 2018, 8:27 pm

If you too lazy to read game rating, set the console parental controls. All modern consoles have these features.

fouljuice
Shifting into 6th

Postby fouljuice » April 24th, 2018, 10:10 pm

Next thing a parent set parental controls on Xbox/PS/TV and they lose a hand so they can't set it again? (too soon?)

If video games bringing violence, then they (ministry or govt) should utilize it as training to kill pests.
Let the people children play as much as they want, but keep the actual physical violence for when dealing with pests.
And since this is Trinidad, there is no shortage of pests. An overwhelming surplus actually.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 18th, 2020, 3:33 pm

searching for something here & came across this thread

cud imagine what parents wud say if they saw d finishing moves in todays mortal kombat with todays realistic technology .... compared to d violence in MK2 graphics in SNES days , look like cartoon to what it have now

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 18th, 2020, 9:37 pm

Rovin wrote:searching for something here & came across this thread

cud imagine what parents wud say if they saw d finishing moves in todays mortal kombat with todays realistic technology .... compared to d violence in MK2 graphics in SNES days , look like cartoon to what it have now

I don't care about the violence.
I'm more worried about the weird pedos stalking children's online gaming platforms,

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 19th, 2020, 9:34 pm

So, the theory is that video games depicting graphic violence causes the children that play said games to act violently. Interesting theory.

So can someone tell me what is the cause of violence in children that living in deprived and poverty stricken conditions that don't have access to these videos games yet still pulling weapons and fighting and killing people?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » January 20th, 2020, 7:24 am

That video game thing has been a scapegoat since the early 1980s for violence. It's been proven wrong every time by studies. Things heated up when DOOM came out in 1993 and nobody had seen that sort of amazing graphics and violence to date in games. Then the Columbine School shooting links with the game made it worse for the tv-educated parents. But that theory was proved wrong again. The theory will always be in the same circles of people who talk about NASA moon conspiracies, 9/11 conspiracies, vaccination conspiracies, etc.; i don't think it will ever disappear. Same with violent movies and music. Recently one educated man in TT made statements about local music and violence toward women... so you see it never goes away.

Rather than ask more difficult questions like you just did, and apply a solution that will take a lot of work and changing how our society works... it's just easier politics to blame a scapegoat with no relation to anything. And it's usually artistic expression under fire.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » January 20th, 2020, 8:37 am

Coppershot wrote:e.g.
Shadow of the Colossus Rated "T" on the case (bottom left).

ways - i have his to start....got a copy and forgot i had it...tx

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 20th, 2020, 9:09 am

Anyone else here used to play mario and randomly punch bricks and turtles?
Or is it just me?

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » January 20th, 2020, 9:20 am

only makes sense if you're a plumber^

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » January 20th, 2020, 9:33 am

maj. tom wrote:Same with violent movies and music. Recently one educated man in TT made statements about local music and violence toward women... so you see it never goes away.

Rather than ask more difficult questions like you just did, and apply a solution that will take a lot of work and changing how our society works... it's just easier politics to blame a scapegoat with no relation to anything. And it's usually artistic expression under fire.

it's really difficult to accept that artistic expression under fire theory when it comes to them tenth rate music performers eh.

You don't see Robert DeNiro engaging in mobster activities or Hideo Kojima crawling into military posts in a cardboard box. They participate in entertainment that is the result of a mass collaboration and they honest about their roles in productions.

The music people use the 'it's all entertainment' defense when one of their idiot followers goes out and does something stupid.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » January 20th, 2020, 9:54 am

Lack of Punishment in schooling system.

Removal of Corporal Punishment was one of the worse things Trinidad could have done.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 20th, 2020, 10:04 am

Ben_spanna wrote:Lack of Punishment in schooling system.

Removal of Corporal Punishment was one of the worse things Trinidad could have done.
No it is not. Stop taking bullchit

It is the parents and their society that are responsible for unruly kids and their behaviour

The school is not a care taker and not use to bring kids up. That is for the parents to do and not teachers.

You bring up your kids as thugs and expect teachers to do your work?

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » January 20th, 2020, 10:08 am

Partly agree, cause in the corporal punishment days, some fellas was afraid of licks then others was responding to licks like it was sunlight. And even then, some teachers used to take a sadistic delight in punishment. The real problem was that nothing of consequence replaced corporal punishment. There was a program that placed suspended students into government offices but even so, it didn't last long.

The 2 most memorable placements at my workplace were a boy who left excited to apply himself to get a long sleeve AC office desk wuk. His mother followed up after he left, boy was sticking to his promise and doing well.

The next boy got assigned to a slacker and left just as much of a jackass.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 20th, 2020, 10:42 am

Les Bain wrote:
maj. tom wrote:Same with violent movies and music. Recently one educated man in TT made statements about local music and violence toward women... so you see it never goes away.

it's really difficult to accept that artistic expression under fire theory when it comes to them tenth rate music performers eh.

You don't see Robert DeNiro engaging in mobster activities or Hideo Kojima crawling into military posts in a cardboard box. They participate in entertainment that is the result of a mass collaboration and they honest about their roles in productions.

The music people use the 'it's all entertainment' defense when one of their idiot followers goes out and does something stupid.

it's actually a valid defense
because of the 10 million albums sold, only one mentally deranged nimrod decided to take the lyrics literally & act them out, thus he is the exception that proves the rule, not the standard.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 20th, 2020, 11:03 am

zoom rader wrote:

No it is not. Stop taking bullchit

It is the parents and their society that are responsible for unruly kids and their behaviour

The school is not a care taker and not use to bring kids up. That is for the parents to do and not teachers.

You bring up your kids as thugs and expect teachers to do your work?

daz a real good hammer yuh ha dey boi zoomie, hittin nail on head str8 & hard.
Problem is, there are too many irresponsible idiot ppl makin chirren that they have no clue how to raise, so they spoil them rotten, neglect them, expose them to all kinda corruption, then wonder how the children turn out the way they do. That s why I does say, yuh make a child, he turn out a menace & you not doing nothing to straighten him out? lock up both child & parents.

as regards corporal punishment, that was the right move to abolish it. that is not for some random teacher to do, that is one of your responsibilities as parent. I have seen first hand quite a bit of the abuse some so-called "teachers" meted out to their charges, where in some instances after the teacher "disciplines" a child said child requires medical attention. Saw one minor some years ago, kid couldn't be more than about 7 y.o., mother brought him in with two extremely swollen hands after "miss" beat him on the back of his hands with a hard plastic hand duster. He had collapsed veins and fractures on both hands . His mother was livid. No random idiot gets to vent their career/home/ life problems by abusing my kid cuz dey man hornin dem or whatever other bs they going thru at home where they impotent.

anyway, this is Trini. plenty too many old ass ppl does act & think like lil friggin chirren here, so like they need licks too.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » January 20th, 2020, 11:04 am

88sins wrote:
Les Bain wrote:

it's actually a valid defense
because of the 10 million albums sold, only one mentally deranged nimrod decided to take the lyrics literally & act them out, thus he is the exception that proves the rule, not the standard.

Put deranged behaviour aside and there's still behaviour emulation to deal with. Wiggas, wannabe gangstas, mallgoths, conscious music hypocrites, conservative country music fans, hypebeasts etc. Most artists hope to reach the point they could move to, then isolate themselves in a fancy gated community and pretend that common sense is a common thing in the homes that produce the people they inspire.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 20th, 2020, 11:19 am

can't put the deranged behavior aside when it's the behavior of the deranged person that is the root of the question.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » January 20th, 2020, 11:28 am

Maybe this current gubbment should look into a One chile policy for certain households and areas based on peoples financial support capabilities.
id fully support this... the entire ghettos of Trinidad would never be allowed to legally reproduce... Stopping it at the sauce right therrrrr.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » January 20th, 2020, 12:10 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:

I'm more worried about the weird pedos stalking children's online gaming platforms,

Small man neck deep in GTA 5- I had the weird experience of him and his padner going to rob gas stations for fun.

While I regret getting the game for him he has not displayed any negative effects and knows that if he slip there will be hell to pay.

Due to the same concern of pedos etc I spend as much time as I can in ear shot of him while he is playing-sometimes I log on as him to see what happens.

His main crew is from his class...and you would be surprised what you can learn by listening to them play together.

I was able to figure out which of his friends are arseholes,which are instigators and which he can trust.
When stuff went down in school-we have a better handle on it.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » January 20th, 2020, 12:13 pm

^ a senator jumped out in 07 with similar sentiments - still incendiary to link here @ Ben_spanna...

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » January 20th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Well if our small island seems incapable of dealing with crime and our police force cannot seem to put a proper handle on it, whats to happen in the coming years again?
population is growing more and more, the only reasonable solution seems to be stopping the criminals at the source! and im sure some people would argue against this. but then again they are all good boys until drugs and other criminal elements influence them negatively :roll: -RIGHT?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 20th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Redman wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

Small man neck deep in GTA 5- I had the weird experience of him and his padner going to rob gas stations for fun.

While I regret getting the game for him he has not displayed any negative effects and knows that if he slip there will be hell to pay.

Due to the same concern of pedos etc I spend as much time as I can in ear shot of him while he is playing-sometimes I log on as him to see what happens.

His main crew is from his class...and you would be surprised what you can learn by listening to them play together.

I was able to figure out which of his friends are arseholes,which are instigators and which he can trust.
When stuff went down in school-we have a better handle on it.

good strategy.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 20th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:Well if our small island seems incapable of dealing with crime and our police force cannot seem to put a proper handle on it, whats to happen in the coming years again?
population is growing more and more, the only reasonable solution seems to be stopping the criminals at the source! and im sure some people would argue against this. but then again they are all good boys until drugs and other criminal elements influence them negatively :roll: -RIGHT?

Are you aware that there are criminals in Moka, Westmoorigs, HaleLand Park with one or two kids & in some cases none, criminals that wear tailored suits & starched pink shirts ?
What's your plan for them?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 20th, 2020, 1:09 pm

88sins wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:Well if our small island seems incapable of dealing with crime and our police force cannot seem to put a proper handle on it, whats to happen in the coming years again?

Are you aware that there are criminals in Moka, Westmoorigs, HaleLand Park with one or two kids & in some cases none, criminals that wear tailored suits & starched pink shirts ?
Most of them look like inbred arabs

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » January 20th, 2020, 3:23 pm

88sins wrote:

And here we go- yes because they are the ones who are responsible for stalking out innocent people as they drive into their driveway, they are the ones who are killing and robbing people daily, they are the ones running around stabbing people, getting involved in gang wars and so forth.
Im not disagreeing with you 88sins, but surely these are not the individuals that are responsible for the current crime that it plaguing Trinidad.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » January 20th, 2020, 3:41 pm

^ not directly but they support it

the video game issue is just like movies & music- it won't affect most ppl, but for certain high risk youth who grow up in a gang area only knowing gun and gunshots, it could just reinforce that 'violence is good' belief, same for mentally ill ppl.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 20th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:
And here we go- yes because they are the ones who are responsible for stalking out innocent people as they drive into their driveway, they are the ones who are killing and robbing people daily, they are the ones running around stabbing people, getting involved in gang wars and so forth.
Im not disagreeing with you 88sins, but surely these are not the individuals that are responsible for the current crime that it plaguing Trinidad.

You'd be surprised how intertwined these well dressed criminals are with the lower level wannabe gangsters that are the cause of all this chaos, both directly and indirectly, and exactly who is running and in charge of who and what.
To give you a little insight into what I'm talking about, think about this.

When was the last time you ever heard about any of those well dressed persons business places that make so much money on a daily basis get robbed at gunpoint by bandits? Don't forget, Trini bandits run into and hold up practically anywhere at gunpoint, as single robbers or in teams, all over the place, day or night, no matter the location.
Also, keep in mind these persons own and operate electronics stores, clothing stores, restaurants, bars, and pretty much any other type of business that can be operated in Trinidad. But you will be hard pressed to list 10 businesses owned by them that got robbed at gunpoint within the last decade.
This is not a coincidence.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » January 20th, 2020, 8:44 pm

88sins wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:

You'd be surprised how intertwined these well dressed criminals are with the lower level wannabe gangsters that are the cause of all this chaos, both directly and indirectly, and exactly who is running and in charge of who and what.
To give you a little insight into what I'm talking about, think about this.

When was the last time you ever heard about any of those well dressed persons business places that make so much money on a daily basis get robbed at gunpoint by bandits? Don't forget, Trini bandits run into and hold up practically anywhere at gunpoint, as single robbers or in teams, all over the place, day or night, no matter the location.
Also, keep in mind these persons own and operate electronics stores, clothing stores, restaurants, bars, and pretty much any other type of business that can be operated in Trinidad. But you will be hard pressed to list 10 businesses owned by them that got robbed at gunpoint within the last decade.
This is not a coincidence.

Many years ago when the kidnapping thing was now getting lucrative one or two members of the 1% community got kidnapped and although I can't remember the names I do remember that the alleged kidnappers showed up dead. I think from since after that criminals simply realized that there are people you just don't mess with rather than being in direct 'partnership' with them. And while yes white collar crime is a huge concern in the long run it's the short term problems with gaza youths and zessers willing to kill you for cash to go the next boat ride is what truly scares me

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”