TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Massy Stores to charge 50 cents for plastic bags from July 4...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Massy Stores to charge 50 cents for plastic bags from July 4...

Postby skylinechild » May 1st, 2018, 9:04 pm

Rovin's Audio wrote:ah man walk with he crocus bag yes ....... :lol: :lol: :lol: https://www.facebook.com/angelo.marcell ... 1424248527

this reminding me if the sesame street clip of robin williams on what is alive....the eating part of the clip.... (fast fwd to 1:03)

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » May 1st, 2018, 10:08 pm

Skanky wrote:
MaxPower wrote:Sufferers affected.

100% correct.

Wealthy people become and stay wealthy because they don't pay 50c for something worth 5c that they can get for free elsewhere.

The poor and middle class remain poor and middle class because they see nothing wrong with paying 50c for something worth 5c that they can get for free elsewhere.

Wealthy people are the ones who buy things for 5c and sell it for 50c because 50c means nothing to poor and middle class people.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the story of how wealth accumulation works; how the poor remain poor, the middle class remain middle class or go back to being poor and the wealthy take little sums from both these groups and become even more wealthy.

And by extension that's why Republic Bank declared $650.4 million dollars in profit yesterday....ie an eye watering, mind blowing $3.6 million in profit a day.

Think about who that $3.6 million is coming from for a second. It's certainly not the wealthy people of this country.
Well said..

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Sunny Bling has a vid circulating....

Well he is a pest...and all the other pests following him looking for attention...

Nobody careeee if dey vex...just a matter of time for them to roll DF out for good and shop elsewhere....im looking forward to a ghetto free shopping experience...

Just like when they raise gas over and over...beat up beat up, cry cry cry....and then what??? Takeeeee it IYMC

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » May 2nd, 2018, 9:37 am

MaxPower wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Sunny Bling has a vid circulating....

Well he is a pest...and all the other pests following him looking for attention...

Nobody careeee if dey vex...just a matter of time for them to roll DF out for good and shop elsewhere....im looking forward to a ghetto free shopping experience...

Just like when they raise gas over and over...beat up beat up, cry cry cry....and then what??? Takeeeee it IYMC

how someone else shopping there affecting you exactly??

TriP
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TriP » May 3rd, 2018, 6:48 pm

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 3rd, 2018, 9:46 pm

nemisis wrote:how someone else shopping there affecting you exactly??

How some people choose to go movietown than caribbean cinemas?

How some people choose VIP over general?

How some people choose to go Prime restaurant than KFC?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 3rd, 2018, 10:10 pm

maj. tom wrote:So this would have inevitably happened and they will undo it. Ineffective just like everywhere else that tried to implement this. But Massy had to try a money scheme. The solution is to not offer any plastic bags at checkout, just reusable cloth bags. Buy once and use for months.

When allyuh go market, allyuh does buy a new bag from the bag vendor every week? btw, the crocus bag working right? He using a reusable bag. Next week nobody will care what statement he was trying to make. The point is he didn't use an extra plastic bag.
Quoted for sense

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » May 4th, 2018, 9:03 am

MaxPower wrote:
nemisis wrote:how someone else shopping there affecting you exactly??

How some people choose to go movietown than caribbean cinemas?
Location. Someone in the west not heading east to watch a movie when it have somewhere closer and more convenient. That being said some hood rat twerking by the entrance affecting your movie? they twerking in front of the screen?, your piggie hard so you can't focus on what iron man said??

How some people choose VIP over general?
Status. If individuals attending a party and the primary reason for choosing vip is so that they don't have to interact with ghetto individuals chances are they closet ghetto themselves. WTF YOU DOING ATTENDING A VIBES CARTEL FETE FOR WTF YOU EXPECTED????

How some people choose to go Prime restaurant than KFC?
Both "ghetto" and not ghetto partake of kfc. Not sure what you were trying to say. I assume you meant that if kfc was a ghetto free zone you would take wifey for her 12th year wedding anniversary there for a romantic two piece and fries as to remind her you haven't forgotten how you first got into those panties?

Hilo- you buy your sheit and leave, ghetto persons buy their sheit and leave how you affected?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Massy Stores to charge 50 cents for plastic bags from July 4...

Postby MaxPower » May 4th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Kant...which part you dont understand about respectable citizens NOT wanting ghetto ppl around them? Not wanting the obscene language in the car park around children...the ransacking of isles, the insults to cashiers whilst keeping back the lines and making the surroundings uncomfortable to other customers...

Soldier if u toting over paying for cheap little bags then run yuh faggity tail to the market...

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » May 4th, 2018, 3:30 pm

define respectable because i have seen all types do those things you mentioned. Then again where you does be shopping for your grocery to constantly have those problems dan....

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 4th, 2018, 5:16 pm

^ im sorry dearest Nemesis but if u must ask to define respectable then we may never see eye to eye..

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » May 5th, 2018, 7:06 am

Well you see I making assumptions and those could be why I am confused. The assumption I am making is that when you say respectable you mean opposite of ghetto. I also assume when you say ghetto you talking about lower income bracket individuals who ignorant. But when you see a woman in a cayenne carry on like a jackarse because she find her tire clamped in the handicap parking and don’t want to pay the release fee because she only had to run inside for two things. The guard don’t know who she or she husband is and decide to go back to the cashier to say she want she money back causing the individuals in the line to be inconvenienced well.....

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 5th, 2018, 7:25 am

nemisis wrote:Well you see I making assumptions and those could be why I am confused. The assumption I am making is that when you say respectable you mean opposite of ghetto. I also assume when you say ghetto you talking about lower income bracket individuals who ignorant. But when you see a woman in a cayenne carry on like a jackarse because she find her tire clamped in the handicap parking and don’t want to pay the release fee because she only had to run inside for two things. The guard don’t know who she or she husband is and decide to go back to the cashier to say she want she money back causing the individuals in the line to be inconvenienced well.....

Those tend to be in the minority though.

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » May 5th, 2018, 10:33 am

De Dragon wrote:
nemisis wrote:Well you see I making assumptions and those could be why I am confused. The assumption I am making is that when you say respectable you mean opposite of ghetto. I also assume when you say ghetto you talking about lower income bracket individuals who ignorant. But when you see a woman in a cayenne carry on like a jackarse because she find her tire clamped in the handicap parking and don’t want to pay the release fee because she only had to run inside for two things. The guard don’t know who she or she husband is and decide to go back to the cashier to say she want she money back causing the individuals in the line to be inconvenienced well.....

Minority yes but it still happens. And FYI the most ignorant and arrogant persons are wealthy, well except for Duane. So move along Drags

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » May 5th, 2018, 10:51 am

Max if this is what you meant then just say so but if you really want a ghetto free shopping experience then you can shop safely from home and buy almost everything you need.

This benefits you in the long run, if these places loose business because of ghetto people in their establishments keeping away respctable citizens such as yourself they will maybe have their security do a better job of taking care of these matters making it so that you can have your ideal.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 5th, 2018, 12:16 pm

MaxPower wrote:Kant...which part you dont understand about respectable citizens NOT wanting ghetto ppl around them? Not wanting the obscene language in the car park around children...the ransacking of isles, the insults to cashiers whilst keeping back the lines and making the surroundings uncomfortable to other customers...

Soldier if u toting over paying for cheap little bags then run yuh faggity tail to the market...

your response seems most "ghetto"

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 7th, 2018, 4:25 am

randolphinshan wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

Minority yes but it still happens. And FYI the most ignorant and arrogant persons are wealthy, well except for Duane. So move along Drags

Since they make man bulling legal, you real prowling Token........

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 7th, 2018, 8:28 am

Well this ched take ah turn

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 7th, 2018, 9:01 am

De Dragon wrote:
randolphinshan wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

Since they make man bulling legal, you real prowling Token........
De pong

TriP
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TriP » May 9th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Going Green: Massy Stores CEO says no profit in plastic bag sales

http://www.looptt.com/content/going-gre ... -bag-sales

ar from aiming to make a profit on the proposed 50-cent sale of plastic bags, Massy Stores CEO Derek Winford says he hopes they don’t sell any bags at all.

In an interview with LoopTT, Winford said the supermarket chain’s decision to charge 50 cents for plastic bags from July 4, 2018, is the ethical and responsible thing to do as the company cannot keep contributing to the country’s waste problem.

Winford said the company has always been environmentally conscious and began facilitating plastic recycling years ago by having Plastikeep collection centres at its branches.

“Three years ago I was first approached to help with the recycling of plastics and enquiries led us to Plastikeep, where we agreed to support them and have their bins in our stores. Then we communicated to customers to return their plastics in these bins. The response by customers was tremendous.

“When Plastikeep got into financial problems, we said to them that we would continue to fund all the bins, so we kept the bins and took over the payment for it."

Winford said the company, which pays millions in taxes to the Green Fund, continued to pay for the bins at their own cost.

e says therefore that the company has never sought to profit from its recycling initiatives.

“There’s so much information out there on what plastic is doing, especially to the marine environment because that’s where the plastic is ending up.

“A year ago we decided to make a statement on International Plastic Day which is in July, and the response was mixed, but we learned a lot from that. Customers were saying that it shouldn’t be for just one day, they wanted it to be permanent.

“So that led us to where we are now and it’s on International No Plastic Day that will be the last day we use plastic bags in the store (for free),” he said.

The company is also initiating a plastic bottle exchange programme in which Massy customers will be able to return plastic bottles in exchange for Massy points.

Claims of profiting from plastic bag sales: Ludicrous

Winford also dismissed claims on social media which alleged that the company would profit from deciding to sell plastic bags.

“There’s no money to be made there, especially if customers use the reusable bags, which we’ve been giving away. We gave away 10,000 already and we’re going to give away more.

“There have been a lot of calculations (on social media)…that math is completely wrong. I don’t think it deserves a response except to say it’s ludicrous.

“How many bags do I want to sell? Zero. I want to give away these reusable bags and encourage customers to continue using those bags. The aim is not to sell the bags at all,” he said.

He explained the company will still have plastic bags for sale for those customers who may have forgotten to bring a reusable bag, or similar scenarios - for example a tourist shopping at the store.

“If I sell seven percent of the 34 million bags at 50 cents, that I purchased for 35-40 cents, and then I paid for handling etc., where’s the money? There’s no profit there.”

Winford added that the profits from the sale of the bags will also go to environmental charities.

“If I make any money from the sale of those bags, they all go to charities,” he said.

The company presently donates to a list of charities including United Way, the Living Water Community, Rainbow Rescue, Cascade School for the Deaf and more.

He’s also encouraging other supermarkets and businesses to join them in this initiative.

“The more the merrier. If we have about 15 percent market share, this means there are many other supermarkets out there using plastic bags. So if we use 34 million, that’s about 175 million plastic bags being used a year, so if they all join, that would be great,” he said.

Winford said the company assessed how many plastic bags it contributes per year, and the number was staggering.

“In doing research on how much plastic we contribute, we found out that Massy Stores produces 34 million plastic bags per year. We said that we have to do something about it. We can’t keep promoting Plastikeep on the one hand and contributing to the problem on the other,” he said.

Winford said the company has so far given away over 10,000 reusable bags and plans to give away more to customers who shop at their stores.

And he said the reusable bags, which are made of a more durable material, will provide for many more uses and cost just $10 in their stores.

“The whole issue of the 50 cents is because we’re following the English model, they legislated five pence per bag and they thought it would reduce plastic bag usage by 80 percent, when in fact it was reduced by over 90 percent, so it has made an impact. Because of that initiative, there are less bags in the ocean.

“And I hope that the same thing will happen here,” he said.

The company also sorts and recycles its cardboard and plastic waste which is sent to SWMCOL for recycling and export.

‘Biodegradable’ bags creating dangerous microplastics

Winford added that the plastic bags which are currently used are biodegradable. However the company’s policy has changed as it was discovered that these bags break down into tinier plastic fragments or microplastics which do not degrade and create even more damage to the environment.

“It was a policy that we developed in the past when we weren’t aware (of the dangers of microplastics). The manufacturer suggested the biodegradable plastic bags and we agreed to pay a little more for it and started using it. But as time went on and we learned more about the bags and the environmentalist came on board we realised that this needs to change as well. At the time, we thought it was better than the non-biodegradable plastic bags, but now we know that’s not true.”

“If a supplier brings a better option to us we’ll definitely consider it, but right now we’re focusing on the reuse and recycle business,” he said.

Winford said the company is also aiming to cut down plastic usage within the store and is working on minimising its other plastic and Styrofoam packaging.

Winford said Massy Stores has already carried out its plastic bag initiative in Barbados and St Vincent and the Grenadines and said these islands are already ahead in terms of recycling legislation.

Barbados has already initiated the Returnable Containers Act which allows for customers to return plastic bottles. Meanwhile in St Vincent and the Grenadines, Styrofoam products have already been banned.

As for Trinbagonians who still don’t see the dangers of plastic? Winford had some additional advice.

“Watch ‘A Plastic Ocean’ and see the damage that plastic is having on our oceans, then let’s talk,” he said.
Attachments
ydvuhwfbFw.jpg
ydvuhwfbFw.jpg

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 10th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Tl;dr

All that song and dance is crap.

The man try to profit using green as the excuse.

Cho yuh frame!

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 10th, 2018, 7:53 pm

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 11th, 2018, 5:07 am

PNM should put a tax on plastic like the UK

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 11th, 2018, 3:02 pm

15c profit *1,000,000 = $150,000

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » May 11th, 2018, 3:40 pm

all allyuh massy haters take yuh frame and kindly throw it

http://www.looptt.com/content/massy-sto ... les-points

too much beatup about them wanting to make money, is clear they seem to have the only first world thinking, hope other groceries follow suit

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 11th, 2018, 6:49 pm

pricemart has the green initiative in a more realistic way, beneficial to the environment, with respect to tote bags, when compared to massey...

the plastic bottle trade in is a good concept..

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 11th, 2018, 6:52 pm

if u dont want to sell it, dont sell it.

TriP
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TriP » May 11th, 2018, 9:58 pm

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » May 12th, 2018, 12:05 am

Meanwhile...

Massy set to retrench staff

YVONNE WEBB

MASSY STORES says business is on the decline and it is now set to retrench workers. The supermarket chain served notice to some employees of its intention to redeploy them to lower-paying jobs or make their positions redundant. Still reeling from negative reactions to its decision to charge shoppers for plastic bags in its “going green” initiative, on April 27 letters sent to staff from the Home Care/Hire Purchase Department, Massy said the department suffered a loss in 2017 and would do so again in 2018.

The company said it tried to address the decline in business by focusing on controlling costs in other areas. However, the measures have not worked and the company is now reviewing its manpower requirements. Ainsley Matthews, president of the Contractors and General Workers Trade Union, which represents Massy’s monthly-paid employees, said the union is not prepared to accept this ultimatum.

Matthews said Massy embarked on this exercise without informing the union. He said it had requested meetings with the employer, but the requests have been ignored thus far. There is disagreement between the union and the employer over the status of the workers.

The union says they are part of the bargaining unit, but the company disagrees.

Newsday obtained a copy of one of the letters in which the ultimatum was outlined. Signed by Gwendoline McLaren, human resources director, and witnessed by operations manager Cyllan Charles, it referred to meetings held with the workers in January and March about the performance of the department, which sells household items, furniture and appliances. The 23 affected staff work at the Gulf View, San Fernando, Marabella and Trincity outlets.

“In this regard, we wish to inform you that your function has been reviewed and due to the steady loss/decline of sales in the Home Care Department, we have had to review and adjust the operations of the business. As a result, we have had to restructure/re-align functions within the organisation to reduce the operating cost of the business to address the situation,” the letter read. For employees who accept the offer, the company has promised to provide retraining, preserve their service, with no break in tenure or alteration of group employee benefits with the Massy Group.

However, McLaren’s letter said, “Should you accept the offer (of the alternative job), it is important for you to note that your position will fall under the bargaining unit of the company’s recognised majority union, the National Union of Government and Federated Workers (NUGFW). Should you reject the job offer, the company shall by formal notice, terminate your services for reasons of redundancy.”

The decision was supposed to have been made by May 3, but Matthews said he has told the employees to report for duty. Attempts to reach McLaren for comment were unsuccessful.

http://newsday.co.tt/2018/05/11/massy-set-to-retrench-staff/

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » May 14th, 2018, 9:04 am

Self checkout coming soon...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”