TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Restored Stollmeyer's Castle is Restored...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Restored Stollmeyer's Castle is Restored...

Postby RedVEVO » May 20th, 2018, 12:06 am

^^

So back to Stollmeyers Castle.

Anybody have any business ideas how to re-generate the $48 Million TT tax $$$ ?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 20th, 2018, 12:34 am

Tourism to recoup the money spent will obviously not come from entrance/tour fees of the site. However, while here, the tourist will need a room, food, drinks, transport etc. and cumulatively these will be much higher than any entrance fee.
I think the entire stretch, restored to its former glory would be a huge draw.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 20th, 2018, 1:50 am

Level the entire stretch and build "40 Storey buildings" - Leave Castle for Opposition Office.

Invite the Chinese & ZTE & Amazon & Microsoft & Oracle to set up shop.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » May 20th, 2018, 11:52 am

RedVEVO wrote:. . . Invite the Chinese & ZTE & Amazon & Microsoft & Oracle to set up shop.

:| That's the purpose of the Tamana InTech Park at Wallerfield, but I guess that they are not doing a proper job (i.e., marketing, incentives, etc.) to invite companies to set up shop at the technology park.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 21st, 2018, 5:01 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:. . . Invite the Chinese & ZTE & Amazon & Microsoft & Oracle to set up shop.

:| That's the purpose of the Tamana InTech Park at Wallerfield, but I guess that they are not doing a proper job (i.e., marketing, incentives, etc.) to invite companies to set up shop at the technology park.

Agree :(

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » May 22nd, 2018, 9:38 am

I am okay with a fixed percentage of the fiscal budget allocated to heritage restoration. Heritage sites value aren’t easily to quantify or peg against a ROI so it sinks into a level of debate that’s takes on a political hue. The only requirement is that once restored it goes into a productive cycle and it’s continuously maintained

Let’s say about .05% annually of the fiscal package is allocated. So for a budget of 45 billion, that is about 225 million which should cover 2-3 projects every year and upkeep for the others. Government should put out their list of heritage sites, beyond the Magnificent 7, and even allow the public to have a say on the priority sequence and just work the list and showcase progress.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 22nd, 2018, 9:47 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Amazon is having what is essentially a competition to host their HQ2 and the short list is cities we can never compete against.
Google and Facebook are also courted by nations and sub national entities (states and provinces) to host facilities of theirs.
Trinidad still believes that if you build a park without changing or amending any of the enabling environment you will attract business i.e. investment laws, incentives regimes etc.
Government still operates with 1950's mindset but want 2018 technology firms. And this goes for all administrations and not directed to an particular one.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 22nd, 2018, 1:01 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Amazon is having what is essentially a competition to host their HQ2 and the short list is cities we can never compete against.
Google and Facebook are also courted by nations and sub national entities (states and provinces) to host facilities of theirs.
Trinidad still believes that if you build a park without changing or amending any of the enabling environment you will attract business i.e. investment laws, incentives regimes etc.
Government still operates with 1950's mindset but want 2018 technology firms. And this goes for all administrations and not directed to an particular one.

So how do you suggest we attract technology businesses ?

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » May 22nd, 2018, 2:03 pm

RedVEVO wrote:^^

So back to Stollmeyers Castle.

Anybody have any business ideas how to re-generate the $48 Million TT tax $$$ ?

Castle should have been left to rot and fall down ent. Yet many people gawk like little girls at the beauty of Windsor Castle when they watched the Royal Wedding. Trinidad really backward yea.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 22nd, 2018, 2:26 pm

RedVEVO wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Don't!!!!
Jack Welch, former CEO and Chairman of GE once said "If you don't have a competitive advantage don't compete"
Trinidad at this point does not have a comparative advantage in Technology. We wasted 13 years of free tertiary education and are in no better position to compete for the tech jobs than we were in 2005.
Amazon, Google etc not coming here for 20 programmers etc. They want hundreds.
Look at who is here - Microsoft, Cisco. They are essentially sales offices.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 22nd, 2018, 3:50 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Don't!!!!
Jack Welch, former CEO and Chairman of GE once said "If you don't have a competitive advantage don't compete"
Trinidad at this point does not have a comparative advantage in Technology. We wasted 13 years of free tertiary education and are in no better position to compete for the tech jobs than we were in 2005.

Technology is not a resource commodity where you need to have competitive advantage.

Trini have a "pitch lake " so we have the competitive advantage . We do not utilize .

Outsourcing technology was and is still huge.

So we cannot have it in T&T ?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 22nd, 2018, 4:08 pm

RedVEVO wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Don't!!!!

Technology is not a resource commodity where you need to have competitive advantage.

Trini have a "pitch lake " so we have the competitive advantage . We do not utilize .

In Technology Humans are the resource - go ask Singapore!!

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 22nd, 2018, 5:53 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Don't!!!!

In Technology Humans are the resource - go ask Singapore!!

So why is cannot happen in T&T ?

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » May 23rd, 2018, 11:36 am

De Dragon wrote:Tourism to recoup the money spent will obviously not come from entrance/tour fees of the site. However, while here, the tourist will need a room, food, drinks, transport etc. and cumulatively these will be much higher than any entrance fee.
That one word says it all. Anyone that expects the restoration to pay back for itself to be deemed a success is both small minded and short-sighted.

Fixing up Maracas bay might not pay back for itself alone
Paving roads will not pay back for itself alone
Building nice hotels and tourists spots may not pay back for itself alone (any time soon at least)
Fixing up nature trails and promoting our eco-tourism may not pay back for itself alone.
I could go on but I don't feel like putting in the effort....

Those of you that think that a tourist will not fly halfway across the world just to come and look at some small "castle" are fully correct. Trinidad and Tobago needs to be promoted as a tourist destination on the whole if they want to make any significant revenue from it. By significant I mean on par with oil and gas (which seems laughable right?).

We need to restore and maintain historical sites to promote cultural tourism, reduce crime to make tourists feel safe enough to want to venture here, promote our eco-tourism in a way that people that know nothing about nature can be made interested, entertained and educated (guided tours with well maintained nature sites), build areas to promote entertainment (beyond soca fetes and bars), improve the public transport system so foreigners on a budget can look at it as a viable option etc. etc. etc.

Again, I could go on but not feeling to right now.

Long story short, if we want to make serious money off of tourism we need to make T&T a place that somebody will want to visit again and again. That means having a wide array of interesting activities to offer them that promise new experiences . They should be able to spend 2 weeks here and still want to come back again because they didn't get to do it all. Right now we have a beach, some littered rivers and carnival. All of which you can get in other places with a much smaller risk of being robbed or murdered. I don't blame tourists that come here just to say they did and never return. Tourism needs to be a holistic approach and the restoration was a step in the right direction.

Edit: We also have a rich history which I am guilty of knowing very little about. Cultural tourism is a big thing because it shows you how a country ties into the world. How the histories are different and how they are similar or how cultures were differently affected by similar events (like WW2) are all very interesting and should be promoted not just for tourists but for ourselves.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 23rd, 2018, 2:35 pm

^^^ a thinking man's response

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 23rd, 2018, 2:46 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
De Dragon wrote:Tourism to recoup the money spent will obviously not come from entrance/tour fees of the site. However, while here, the tourist will need a room, food, drinks, transport etc. and cumulatively these will be much higher than any entrance fee.
That one word says it all. Anyone that expects the restoration to pay back for itself to be deemed a success is both small minded and short-sighted.

Building nice hotels and tourists spots may not pay back for itself alone (any time soon at least)
Fixing up nature trails and promoting our eco-tourism may not pay back for itself alone.

Those of you that think that a tourist will not fly halfway across the world just to come and look at some small "castle" are fully correct. Trinidad and Tobago needs to be promoted as a tourist destination on the whole if they want to make any significant revenue from it. By significant I mean on par with oil and gas (which seems laughable right?).

We need to restore and maintain historical sites to promote cultural tourism, reduce crime to make tourists feel safe enough to want to venture here, promote our eco-tourism in a way that people that know nothing about nature can be made interested, entertained and educated (guided tours with well maintained nature sites), build areas to promote entertainment (beyond soca fetes and bars), improve the public transport system so foreigners on a budget can look at it as a viable option etc. etc. etc.

Long story short, if we want to make serious money off of tourism we need to make T&T a place that somebody will want to visit again and again. That means having a wide array of interesting activities to offer them that promise new experiences . They should be able to spend 2 weeks here and still want to come back again because they didn't get to do it all. Right now we have a beach, some littered rivers and carnival. All of which you can get in other places with a much smaller risk of being robbed or murdered. I don't blame tourists that come here just to say they did and never return. Tourism needs to be a holistic approach and the restoration was a step in the right direction.

Edit: We also have a rich history which I am guilty of knowing very little about. Cultural tourism is a big thing because it shows you how a country ties into the world. How the histories are different and how they are similar or how cultures were differently affected by similar events (like WW2) are all very interesting and should be promoted not just for tourists but for ourselves.

^^

Can I get back the last 3 minutes of my life after reading the above BS ?

You think tourists want to hear about our history ?

The museums in T&T must be a billion $$ dollar revenue industry .

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » May 23rd, 2018, 3:36 pm

RedVEVO wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

^^

Am I to understand that you speak for all tourists everywhere? Why must the museums be a multi-billion dollar industry by itself? Did you read my response? The implications of my response state the exact opposite. Can your read?

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 23rd, 2018, 3:42 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

^^

Am I to understand that you speak for all tourists everywhere? Why must the museums be a multi-billion dollar industry by itself? Did you read my response? The implications of my response state the exact opposite. Can your read?

^^

Send the Cliffs notes .

Just do not agree with your long boring thesis like statement .

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » May 23rd, 2018, 4:49 pm

Send the Cliffs notes .

Then reply with something to refute what I said or at the very least, read what I wrote.

What do you not agree with?
Why do you not agree with it?
What do you believe to be the truth (or what better alternative points of view do you offer)?

I do not believe myself to be perfect and there may very well be errors in what I have said. I am open to all reasonable criticism.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 23rd, 2018, 6:34 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:

Send the Cliffs notes .

Then reply with something to refute what I said or at the very least, read what I wrote.

What do you believe to be the truth (or what better alternative points of view do you offer)?

I do not believe myself to be perfect and there may very well be errors in what I have said. I am open to all reasonable criticism.

vevo doesnt operate that way, he just dances around, changes the topic, dodges points and calls everyone a PNM

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 24th, 2018, 1:45 am

Slartibartfast wrote:

Send the Cliffs notes .

Tourism in Trinidad is a myth . If you want to "restore " @ $48 M find private funding.

To restore and sell pastries as Protein Head suggests and promote Tourism like a Jamaican is

going back in time and not embracing the future .

We are on a path of Industrialization and Manufacturing .

We have plans to embrace Technology .

Young people like myself who are professionals want to see serious diversity , increased

opportunities and serious money in our pockets .

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » May 24th, 2018, 4:57 am

RedVEVO wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Send the Cliffs notes .

Tourism in Trinidad is a myth . If you want to "restore " @ $48 M find private funding.

To restore and sell pastries as Protein Head suggests and promote Tourism like a Jamaican is

Young people like myself who are professionals want to see serious diversity , increased

YET! when young professionals like yourself go to vacation...where do you go?...to Rome to see (insert historical site) to France to see (insert historical site) To a (insert south American country) to see (insert historical site) you only go to the US to shop and shop and eat and shop. There's minimal US history you would want to see.

While i agree with your path to Industries and Manufacturing..we've very well proven that with our own talent (oil) we've properly fcuked it up...

and I give your opinion as much merit as Startiblast's.... but again... if those in charge wont see the need for it...or prefer to fatten thier own coffers for a 5 years instead of actually dusting off some excellent proposals over the past decade and start to implement....then any idea for tourism is like fodder at a restaurant.

And i agree with others.... you don't speak for the majority of young ppl who are clearly only interested in collecting a $30k plus paycheck at the end of the month.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 24th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Monk BANzai wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Send the Cliffs notes .

YET! when young professionals like yourself go to vacation...where do you go?...to Rome to see (insert historical site) to France to see (insert historical site) To a (insert south American country) to see (insert historical site) you only go to the US to shop and shop and eat and shop. There's minimal US history you would want to see.

While i agree with your path to Industries and Manufacturing..we've very well proven that with our own talent (oil) we've properly fcuked it up...

and I give your opinion as much merit as Startiblast's.... but again... if those in charge wont see the need for it...or prefer to fatten thier own coffers for a 5 years instead of actually dusting off some excellent proposals over the past decade and start to implement....then any idea for tourism is like fodder at a restaurant.

And i agree with others.... you don't speak for the majority of young ppl who are clearly only interested in collecting a $30k plus paycheck at the end of the month.

As a young person on vacation - visit family - cars, boat, tech, NAM shows - and short refresher educational courses etc.

There is no need for historical sites visits .

Why ? What is the benefit ?

$30K plus is approximately $4,000 US or 3K Pounds - Plumbers, Electricians, Mechanics , Hairdresser make more in US and UK.

In TT looks around and see the cars, houses and businesses - $30K is not that huge a sum of money as you may think .

Point Lisas Development is not messed up as you may think, it's still the backbone of our economy.

Not restoration of historical sites .

It's reminds us that we as a people have not moved on - but reminisce in the past .

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » May 24th, 2018, 4:16 pm

I don't understand the need for the "either/or" approach. All I am saying is that restoration and preservation of our historical sites is a step in the right direction. Please re-read what I initially wrote. I specifically stated that historical preservation would not be a money maker by itself. You would make more sense if you read before you replied.

You just like all those politicians talking about diversifying but can only talk about point lisas. What diversification do you want exactly? Is our supply of oil limitless? What will happen when it runs out or if world demand for oil drop as renewable energy continues to gain traction?

Also, I don't understand your last line. Are you just against history or something? How is preserving our local history stopping us from moving forward?

If you want to argue that the money could have been better spent elsewhere or at a better time then I will agree, because it always can. Now I never said that the restoration was the best idea. I just think that it was not a bad idea. A bad idea would be spending $100mil + to refurbish the Tarouba stadium whereas a better idea may have been spending the money to open the Couva children's hospital.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 24th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:I don't understand the need for the "either/or" approach. All I am saying is that restoration and preservation of our historical sites is a step in the right direction. Please re-read what I initially wrote. I specifically stated that historical preservation would not be a money maker by itself. You would make more sense if you read before you replied.

You just like all those politicians talking about diversifying but can only talk about point lisas. What diversification do you want exactly? Is our supply of oil limitless? What will happen when it runs out or if world demand for oil drop as renewable energy continues to gain traction?

Also, I don't understand your last line. Are you just against history or something? How is preserving our local history stopping us from moving forward?

If you want to argue that the money could have been better spent elsewhere or at a better time then I will agree, because it always can. Now I never said that the restoration was the best idea. I just think that it was not a bad idea. A bad idea would be spending $100mil + to refurbish the Tarouba stadium whereas a better idea may have been spending the money to open the Couva children's hospital.

The above paragraph is so confusing . You should re-write and assimilate your arguments. It makes no sense. None.
You agree and disagree with your own statement . It show you very young in mind. You went to wrong school :cry:

Tarouba Stadium is progress for sports.

Couva Children Hospital is progress for Trinidad.

They are basically social goods. Government with tax payers - money well spent .

History with a rich german landowner who had plantations and spending $48 M tax payers to reminisce . No, no, no.

We do not need.

We need to move forward.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » May 25th, 2018, 7:18 am

RedVEVO wrote:
Monk BANzai wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Send the Cliffs notes .

As a young person on vacation - visit family - cars, boat, tech, NAM shows - and short refresher educational courses etc.

$30K plus is approximately $4,000 US or 3K Pounds - Plumbers, Electricians, Mechanics , Hairdresser make more in US and UK.

In TT looks around and see the cars, houses and businesses - $30K is not that huge a sum of money as you may think .

Point Lisas Development is not messed up as you may think, it's still the backbone of our economy.

It's reminds us that we as a people have not moved on - but reminisce in the past .

Differing position. And whilst you have a stance you've failed to understand or even relate to other positions becuz...well you think the world is only made up of 30 yr olds.

Carry on....You're extremely mʌɪˈɒpɪk in view tho.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 25th, 2018, 11:49 am

Monk BANzai wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:
Monk BANzai wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Send the Cliffs notes .

Differing position. And whilst you have a stance you've failed to understand or even relate to other positions becuz...well you think the world is only made up of 30 yr olds.

Carry on....You're extremely mʌɪˈɒpɪk in view tho.

Success is geared towards the brave and young today .

Old men have old ideas - What is the benefit to relate to old failed ideas ?

Look around TT - Where have the old ideas gotten us ?

Little progress and no real development for many youths.

Meanwhile money is wasted on projects we do not need and no need to remember .

If you are old ( over 30 ) you will not understand .

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » August 9th, 2018, 11:31 pm

" .. CHAIRMAN of the National Trust Margaret McDowall says the historic buildings at the St James Barracks will be listed to be protected, after a report that the site is rapidly deteriorating ..

https://newsday.co.tt/2018/08/09/deteri ... be-listed/

Why why why ?

These people have OLD ideas :roll: :roll:

Break it down and put up a NEW St James Police Building ..

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”