TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Restored Stollmeyer's Castle is Restored...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Restored Stollmeyer's Castle is Restored...

Postby Monk BANzai » May 10th, 2018, 2:10 am

long live the COLONIZAHZ!!!

Local Stollmeyer’s Castle

Killarney, popularly known as Stollmeyer’s Castle was commissioned by Charles Fourier Stollmeyer in 1902 and was completed in 1904.

When construction was finished, Mrs. Stollmeyer found it too extravagant for her simple tastes and her husband gave it to their son, Conrad, as a wedding present.

It was the wife of the younger Stollmeyer who named the structure Killarney, after the place in Ireland she had hoped to spend her honeymoon.

Charles Stollmeyer never lived in the castle.

During the Second World War Killarney was occupied by US Forces and it is during this period it became known as Stollmeyer's Castle.

In 1979 the building was acquired by the Trinidad and Tobago Government.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Restored Stollmeyer's Castle is Restored...

Postby RedVEVO » May 10th, 2018, 4:14 am

Millions spent , tax money .

So what is the next move/use here PNMites ?

Rent for weddings, corporate meetings, tourist attraction, look and go " wheeeeee " ?

What ? :roll:

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » May 10th, 2018, 5:56 am

Hope it is maintained.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 10th, 2018, 8:56 am

RedVEVO wrote:Millions spent , tax money .

Rent for weddings, corporate meetings, tourist attraction, look and go " wheeeeee " ?

Hopefully market it as a tourist attraction with tours etc.
The end game should be that the entire stretch with Whitehall, Mille Fleurs etc be like an entire block of which we can show to tourists. At the pace the restorations are going, looks set to happen in 2040 or thereabouts.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 10th, 2018, 1:41 pm

De Dragon wrote:

Hopefully market it as a tourist attraction with tours etc.
The end game should be that the entire stretch with Whitehall, Mille Fleurs etc be like an entire block of which we can show to tourists. At the pace the restorations are going, looks set to happen in 2040 or thereabouts.

48 Million renovation and tours ?

Genius revenue income earner by PNM :!:

By 2040 :D ?

Rowlee will be 91 years ..

Dwarf will be 83

roadhog
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby roadhog » May 10th, 2018, 5:29 pm

I’m pretty sure you save up your money to go visit other countries and look at all the “pretty buildings”.

So why trinidad can’t have the same ??

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 10th, 2018, 5:51 pm

roadhog wrote:

I’m pretty sure you save up your money to go visit other countries and look at all the “pretty buildings”.

We need the 48 Million for Housing not 1 useless Castle :shock:

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 11th, 2018, 5:13 am

So this a HDC house now?

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 11th, 2018, 5:51 am

Excellent work done, the interior is beautiful. Like others I hope there can be tours and I look forward to other buildings being restored

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 11th, 2018, 12:04 pm

when poonmite pass they go say aaah boi is we pm who fix it back ......

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 11th, 2018, 11:51 pm

eliteauto wrote:Excellent work done, the interior is beautiful. Like others I hope there can be tours and I look forward to other buildings being restored

Restore TT people first - Building restorations can wait .

Waste of Tax money .

Private donations / funding OK.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » May 12th, 2018, 7:51 am

roadhog wrote:

Don't even bother. If those historic buildings were left to ruin, those same cyakers would criticize. Cyak/b!tch ad-nauseum, and pretend it's political discourse.

RedVEVO wrote:
eliteauto wrote:Excellent work done, the interior is beautiful. Like others I hope there can be tours and I look forward to other buildings being restored

Waste of Tax money .

Wait for what? The buildings to fall into further ruin just to give the Tuner peanut gallery another reason to complain? Wouldn't a restoration be more costly then?

It's called tourism marketing. The building will be used for historical guided tours, exhibitions, small events with a limited number of people all for a fee to be determined by NAPA.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2016-02- ... ge-tourism

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 12th, 2018, 2:49 pm

shogun wrote:
roadhog wrote:

Don't even bother. If those historic buildings were left to ruin, those same cyakers would criticize. Cyak/b!tch ad-nauseum, and pretend it's political discourse.

RedVEVO wrote:

Waste of Tax money .

Wait for what? The buildings to fall into further ruin just to give the Tuner peanut gallery another reason to complain? Wouldn't a restoration be more costly then?

It's called tourism marketing. The building will be used for historical guided tours, exhibitions, small events with a limited number of people all for a fee to be determined by NAPA.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2016-02- ... ge-tourism

Waiting for Red House and President Building .. 10 or 15 years ?

But SmC another white elephant in times of recession with $48 Million Tax Money :!:

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 12th, 2018, 3:45 pm

Yes, they should be rehabilitated.
No, that should not happen now. Hold off a Lil two years let the oil prices settle a bit higher, pay off some bills, then pay for the restoration with cash, not debt.

Pnm philosophy = owing the parlor, grocery not bought, yet buying kit to go escotion.

So, while those buildings getting upgraded, Ur child will have to time share laptops in schools,,, IF a teacher plans a lesson that could be done with laptops.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » May 12th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Dude, This is a restoration of old/historic structures inno? This isn't extension/reno to a modern structure. Those historic buildings tend to be built with higher-quality/rare materials such as rare hardwoods, that might be impossible to source?

Those buildings were also built by different standards. A building from that era might be a better long-term bet than modern counterparts/structures. It makes economical sense to not wait for those buildings to fall too far into disrepair. Also, their tourism attractiveness is only enhanced. Not to mention, that because work is very labour intensive, it actually ends up creating some jobs? So what's the problem? So don't jump een and pretend you care about wasted money? If that was so, we'd be having a long discussion about the benefits of the LifeSport program?

Nothing but partisan chatter and another ched to demonize and malign people as "mites" all ironically from the "UNC till ah dead" crew. Some people just glad to see the buildings restored, regardless of which administration does it.
Last edited by shogun on May 12th, 2018, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 12th, 2018, 4:36 pm

Again, when u bawling that u have no money, but spending on NON ESSENTIAL projects..

Is either ur dotish, or Ur lying.

Again, pnm, spending money going Clifton Hill escotion, but borrowing from the neighbor telling them u have no money.

Incompetence or deceit

Annnnd just wait two years... Then take on vanity projects..

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » May 12th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Restoration and preservation of our historic buildings is a good thing.
These properties must be opened to the public with the purpose being to inform everyone (in particular the children) of the relevance in our history.
They can certainly become venues for cultural shows which high-light our indigenous arts and culture.
There is a lot to be proud of in our history and some deliberate attention must be paid to same.
Use of these venues by a select privileged few is not endorsed.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » May 12th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Some might debate how "non essential" cultural/heritage structure preservation might actually be? Especially if those structures could actually enhance/bring in revenue through destination tourism? So, i'll chalk that up to opinion.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 12th, 2018, 9:27 pm

I'm Not saying don't do it... I'm saying don't do it just yet. Wait until 2019/20.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 12th, 2018, 9:28 pm

It not gong to bring in enough destination tourism to justify needing to dine now.

With every vanity project undertaken, each undermines the pnm motto, "unc raid the treasury"

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 12th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Saw an RFP out for Mille Fleurs.
Also why everything by the Gov't have to be political :? As soon as Steupsy start with "this administration" I lock he orf. Why not say by the GORTT?

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » May 12th, 2018, 10:19 pm

^^Yup. Just make the darn presentation.

Same thing I does be telling ZR with his "PNM Prime Minister" nonsense. I'd tell him the same if he said "UNC Prime Minister". Smh

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » May 12th, 2018, 10:52 pm

So..... why would tourists visit this building? Can someone please elaborate on its tourism potential...

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 13th, 2018, 12:07 am

Is more of a local tourism potential imo

This would be perfect for a lil school field trip

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 13th, 2018, 12:17 am

ProtonPowder wrote:Is more of a local tourism potential imo

Kids should take a LOCAL " field trip " to the " pitch lake " and show them how it is being wasted and not utilized via TT road maintenance .

Then take them to SmC and ask them what they think or how the $48 Million tax dollars should of been spent .

Kids may surprise you :D

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 13th, 2018, 12:45 am

RedVEVO wrote:

Kids should take a LOCAL " field trip " to the " pitch lake " and show them how it is being wasted and not utilized via TT road maintenance .

Then take them to SmC and ask them what they think or how the $48 Million tax dollars should of been spent .

Okay?
Is a good thing children usually go on more than 1 field trip in their life then.

Children, and trinis at large dont appreciate history, art or architecture. You could make them watch the castle and then watch the IQOR box on CRH and they wouldnt see a difference.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » May 13th, 2018, 1:04 am

RedVEVO wrote:

A man actually typed this then hit submit, yes. Lmao.

Yeah, lets just have an entire government's vision (any gov't PNM/UNC) and prioritization of it's numerous goals with respect to the significance/preservation of cultural/heritage assets, decided by children. The more you type, is the more I understand why you're bad at this. No wonder you're looking to the "kids" for surprises?

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » May 13th, 2018, 1:08 am

ProtonPowder wrote:Okay?
Is a good thing children usually go on more than 1 field trip in their life then.

Children, and trinis at large dont appreciate history, art or architecture. You could make them watch the castle and then watch the IQOR box on CRH and they wouldnt see a difference.

That.

In fact, international research shows that approximately 50% of all international tourists visit attractions that have to do with culture and heritage.

But this is tuner, where men believe because THEY have no interest in something, that rest of the entire world also shares their views.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » May 13th, 2018, 1:15 am

De Dragon wrote:Saw an RFP out for Mille Fleurs.
Also why everything by the Gov't have to be political :? As soon as Steupsy start with "this administration" I lock he orf. Why not say by the GORTT?

Agreed.

Ministers should not even be allowed to make those presentations, nuh. You just KNOW they can't WAIT to spin it into some kind of benevolence on the party's behalf, when they're just doing what is required of them with regard to assets like these properties.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 13th, 2018, 1:23 am

shogun wrote:
De Dragon wrote:Saw an RFP out for Mille Fleurs.

Agreed.

Ministers should not even be allowed to make those presentations, nuh. You just KNOW they can't WAIT to spin it into some kind of benevolence on the party's behalf, when they're just doing what is required of them with regard to assets like these properties.

Idk how benevolent you can seem when spending 48m to restore a building when its open market valuation is at 54m, and an insurance replacement value of just over 11m. If only the governments, past and present contracted transparently rather than layers of subcontracting.

The kind of nonsense I see years ago in waterfront complex when i was wukking there was astounding. If they did it right, things would cost fractions of what they do

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”