Forums

Social Media Affecting Court ?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Social Media Affecting Court ?

Postby RedVEVO » May 20th, 2018, 7:26 am

" ..Industrial Court president Deborah Thomas-Felix says social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook have an impact on the court .. "

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2018-05- ... fect-court

What exactly is she saying ?

“ ..Perhaps one of the most transformative impacts is how social media has amplified the right to be heard, creating new avenues fro expression not only for workers, but for all social partners...”

People do not have the right to be heard in Trinidad & Tobago ?

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Social Media Affecting Court ?

Postby RedVEVO » May 20th, 2018, 7:49 am

Her views are ancient since it's not a problem World Wide .

She is attacking Facebook and Twitter ?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 20th, 2018, 7:55 am

Judges live in ivory towers
Them and police hate the fact that social media brings all their backroom bobol to light

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 20th, 2018, 9:34 am

both interviewed statements dont seem opposed to social media in that they iterated that the right to be heard was 'amplified'.
cumberbatch mentioned that most countries do have freedom of speech in some form of the other, but officers in court are limited as to how much THEY can say so as to remain impartial, or at least to maintain that appearance. then cited the trinidad law that restricts local court people from being publicly critical of the system. while i disagree that that law should remain, i understand what it is meant to achieve, so some middle ground must be sought.. in a civilized manner... but a progressive functional manner.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 22nd, 2018, 1:27 pm

pugboy wrote:Judges live in ivory towers
Them and police hate the fact that social media brings all their backroom bobol to light

they all rue the day that somebody figured out a way to put cameras in cell phones & connect those phones to each other via d interwebz

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 22nd, 2018, 1:31 pm

sMASH wrote:both interviewed statements dont seem opposed to social media in that they iterated that the right to be heard was 'amplified'.
cumberbatch mentioned that most countries do have freedom of speech in some form of the other, but officers in court are limited as to how much THEY can say so as to remain impartial, or at least to maintain that appearance. then cited the trinidad law that restricts local court people from being publicly critical of the system. while i disagree that that law should remain, i understand what it is meant to achieve, so some middle ground must be sought.. in a civilized manner... but a progressive functional manner.

not only that.
when one word from an officer giving testimony can make or break a case, it behooves said officer to choose his words very carefully & limit his responses

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » May 22nd, 2018, 6:08 pm

RedVEVO wrote:What exactly is she saying ?

in the past, "unbiased opinions" were formed when ONLY the subject matter presented during the trial was used for deliberation.
exposure to "radio / television / print" on same were enough excuse you due to "any preconceived bias".
harder to avoid said exposure now with social media.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 22nd, 2018, 6:13 pm

sMASH wrote:both interviewed statements dont seem opposed to social media in that they iterated that the right to be heard was 'amplified'.

By stating it affects the Court, the impression is Court is bias :shock:

Freedom of speech is not really the issue .

In the article Felix is confused .

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 23rd, 2018, 3:55 pm

88sins wrote:

not only that.
when one word from an officer giving testimony can make or break a case, it behooves said officer to choose his words very carefully & limit his responses

Long ago before Moses, Police officers were held in high regard and their testimony was considered sterling .

Today 2018 it "behooves" some Judges not to believe TTPS on anything .

If social media behooves the Judges not to believe a PoPo then you have serious updating to do with the judiciary .

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”