TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

How much gas per hour does your car burn on Idle with AC on?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

How much gas per hour does your car burn on Idle with AC on?

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » May 25th, 2018, 11:02 pm

What model is your car and how much gas do you burn with the Engine running and AC turned on?

For diesel there is no need to answer the question since the huge amount of Torque put out by a diesel engine wouldn't make a difference with AC on or Off.

But a Gas Engine tends to rev up when the AC is turned on and well it burns some amount of gas when on idle. How long would it generally take to burn a liter of super gasoline with engine on Idle and AC on? anybody ever measured this?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: How much gas per hour does your car burn on Idle with AC on?

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 25th, 2018, 11:08 pm

things real bad cuz, because that's prob pinching pennies.

For a fair amount of time I was without AC in meh civic when the compressor spoil and driving is so varied, it was negligible compared when it was working.

firetruck that, I rolling with cold breeze right thru

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » May 25th, 2018, 11:46 pm

ED you get a car ?
or you planning to put an air condition in/on the bicycle ?

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » May 26th, 2018, 4:56 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:For diesel there is no need to answer the question since the huge amount of Torque put out by a diesel engine wouldn't make a difference with AC on or Off.

I have a diesel and I can tell you it definitely makes a difference to fuel consumption, when I go out later ill run the AC tell you how exactly how much fuel it uses

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » May 26th, 2018, 6:48 am

A/C is another load on the engine therefore it will affect fuel economy. Unless we can design a electric motor that could run the compressor..... Hmmmmm. Could a 12v motor spin the a/c compressor?

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » May 26th, 2018, 7:17 am

Electric Aircon like what’s in a Prius

There is even electric superchargers coming.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 26th, 2018, 7:21 am

hong kong phooey wrote:ED you get a car ?

since he ass almost get run over he looking to buy a tiida and he want the look of an impul tiida too..... :lol:

Sundar wrote:A/C is another load on the engine therefore it will affect fuel economy. Unless we can design a electric motor that could run the compressor..... Hmmmmm. Could a 12v motor spin the a/c compressor?

they actually have those - 12 volt electric compressor. so instead of it being belt driven its driven by a motor- the actual compressor is built right into the motor itself.

a high amperage alternator will take care of most of not all the vehicle electric needs including that electric compressor.

bear in mind cars of yester year 1960-1980 used to come with a 40A alt
1980-2000 was 80A -100A now from 2010 -present seems to be 120A-160A

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » May 26th, 2018, 7:27 am

I would ah buy a RORO Toyota Aqua eh but the battery replacement cost would be failure, compared to something like CNG which is much cheaper in the long run

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » May 26th, 2018, 8:11 am

skylinechild wrote:
hong kong phooey wrote:ED you get a car ?

since he ass almost get run over he looking to buy a tiida and he want the look of an impul tiida too.....

Sundar wrote:A/C is another load on the engine therefore it will affect fuel economy. Unless we can design a electric motor that could run the compressor..... Hmmmmm. Could a 12v motor spin the a/c compressor?

they actually have those - 12 volt electric compressor. so instead of it being belt driven its driven by a motor- the actual compressor is built right into the motor itself.

a high amperage alternator will take care of most of not all the vehicle electric needs including that electric compressor.

bear in mind cars of yester year 1960-1980 used to come with a 40A alt
1980-2000 was 80A -100A now from 2010 -present seems to be 120A-160A

These are universal or just brand specific as the prius one ? Thinking if it's worth it to invest in one.

fallen_angel
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby fallen_angel » May 26th, 2018, 9:31 am

Using an electric ac compressor may not give any benefit over a mechanical one since your alternator would then use more energy from the engine to recharge the battery. The details of the numbers would need to be worked out to see which is better. Your alternator would have an efficiency factor in converting the engine power to electrical energy, then you would have power losses in the charging circuit, then your compressor would have an efficiency factor also, these 3 efficiency factors would need to be compared to the single efficiency factor of a mechanical compressor which converts the engine mechanical energy directly into compressing the gas. Mechanical efficiency may be roughly 70%, compared with the compound efficiency of roughly 85%, 95% and possibly 70% for the alternator, charging circuit and electric compressor respectively. So it may sound nice but the actual benefit in cost saving and simplification may be negative or negligible

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 26th, 2018, 12:03 pm

like said above tings hadda rel tight with u OP if u huttin ur head studying how much pennies bunnin out for some cold breeze :lol:

u rather be chinksin a few $ than sweating down like ah dog & being uncomfortable especially in very hot weather when driving a considerable distance

if u driving to a location say less than 5 mins then u cud take some fresh breeze & save a few shillings

as for highway , glass up ac on might kinda balance out glass down aero dynamics drag ...

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 26th, 2018, 12:14 pm

spend a $700 and 80% uv tint down the whole front glass and all around and yuh eh need no ac dan

foots
3NE 2NR for life

Postby foots » May 26th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Not much, maybe a litre for every 2 or 3 hours of idling. Idling does seem to kill your gas mileage though. My pops car does mostly idling and short trips, and a tank will last about 200km, maybe a little more. Mine is hardly in traffic and does mostly highway runs, and a tank will last around 500km. Both vehicles have 1.6l engines and fuel injection.

I suppose hybrid vehicles have the big advantage when it comes to being fuel efficient in conditions (slow, congested traffic) where a normal car is mostly at idle.

Some countries discourage allowing your car to idle for more than a couple mins though, due to the wasting of gas and pollution etc etc. Fuel is also way more expensive in those countries (anywhere in europe for example).

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » May 26th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Rovin's Audio wrote:like said above tings hadda rel tight with u OP if u huttin ur head studying how much pennies bunnin out for some cold breeze :lol:

u rather be chinksin a few $ than sweating down like ah dog & being uncomfortable especially in very hot weather when driving a considerable distance

if u driving to a location say less than 5 mins then u cud take some fresh breeze & save a few shillings

as for highway , glass up ac on might kinda balance out glass down aero dynamics drag ...

No it is for Taxi work, so was calculating how much extra I would spend running the car 12 hours a day with AC on.

There would be a big difference in running it on idle with AC on for over an hour waiting for a trip during the slow hours Versus turning off the car and just pushing it up or back on neutral everytime a car is full.
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on May 26th, 2018, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 26th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Sundar wrote:These are universal or just brand specific as the prius one ? Thinking if it's worth it to invest in one.

there are universal ones that are available if you have to retrofit an ac system into a car that did not have that option from factory.

both electric and mechanical ones. the mechanical ones also come with the necessary pulley - v band or 4/6 groove. you just have to specify when ordering what you want.

fallen_angel wrote:Using an electric ac compressor may not give any benefit over a mechanical one since your alternator would then use more energy from the engine to recharge the battery. The details of the numbers would need to be worked out to see which is better. Your alternator would have an efficiency factor in converting the engine power to electrical energy, then you would have power losses in the charging circuit, then your compressor would have an efficiency factor also, these 3 efficiency factors would need to be compared to the single efficiency factor of a mechanical compressor which converts the engine mechanical energy directly into compressing the gas. Mechanical efficiency may be roughly 70%, compared with the compound efficiency of roughly 85%, 95% and possibly 70% for the alternator, charging circuit and electric compressor respectively. So it may sound nice but the actual benefit in cost saving and simplification may be negative or negligible

noted but with all this "efficiency" talk.... why does electronic power steering now come standard on cars?
why do cars now come with high amperage alternators as opposed to regular 40-60 -80A from cars of yester year??

true you may not find its very efficient but if you have a high efficiency output alternator than can generate move amperes from the same amount of rpms from the crankshaft....as opposed to a regular alternator that does the standard 30-40A..... why not utilize the extra amperes to power additional electrics ???

doing it like this will provide less parasitic draw from traditional things like power steering pump & Ac compressor as the engine will only need to drive the alternator & water pump and possibly an idler pulley... :!:

i aint no engineer but 2 is less than 4..and driving 2 things off an engine provides less parasitic drain than driving 4 things off it....

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » May 26th, 2018, 1:42 pm

So I did some research and it seems the average 1.6 L car burns about 1 liter of Gas on Idle with AC on for every Hour.

That isn't too bad in all honesty, not like I will be working taxi whole day, I could afford to run it idle for an hour which is probably how long it takes reach up first in the line for a trip. I mean some people hustle passengers outside the taxi stand they park up closer to where the maxi drops off passengers in hope to steal it away from those waiting their turn in the line but I think that is a douche bag thing to do so I will wait in the line.

Again I just calculating my gas consumption for the Engine to be on Idle with AC turned on, sometimes it can take nearly an hour and a half to get a trip in dead hours, I could always just switch off the car if the place not so hot and just turn it back on when passengers start to enter the vehicle. What some people do is they go to the bar across the road and just sit on the bench and breeze out in arouca there and when the car reach up to the start of the line to full they turn it back on and turn on AC. This offcourse requires you to pay attention to the cars fulling and backing up so the smart thing to do is put it on N and push back the car to save on the starter

IMO it is always good to research these things to reduce wear and tear on your vehicle and gas consumption etc.
I intend to drive it with AC on right through once passengers are in the car, I believe in comfort for your customers. Because as a person who travels I know what it is to be punished in a 280c datsun in the hot sun.
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on May 26th, 2018, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » May 26th, 2018, 1:46 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:So I did some research and it seems the average 1.6 L car burns about 1 liter of Gas on Idle with AC on for every Hour.

That isn't too bad in all honesty, not like I will be working taxi whole day, I could afford to run it idle for an hour which is probably how long it takes reach up first in the line for a trip. I mean some people hustle passengers outside the taxi stand they park up closer to where the maxi drops off passengers in hope to steal it away from those waiting their turn in the line but I think that is a douche bag thing to do so I will wait in the line.

Again I just calculating my gas consumption for the Engine to be on Idle with AC turned on, sometimes it can take nearly an hour and a half to get a trip in dead hours, I could always just switch off the car if the place not so hot and just turn it back on when passengers start to enter the vehicle. What some people do is they go to the bar across the road and just sit on the bench and breeze out in arouca there and when the car reach up to the start of the line to full they turn it back on and turn on AC.

This is at idle with AC set to 19 degrees on auto - so when with a diesel it does make a difference
20180526_184158.jpg

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » May 26th, 2018, 1:48 pm

^ interesting, I read an article that said the high torque of diesel wouldn't make a difference, maybe they are talking about those V8 and V12 Truck engines etc perhaps.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 26th, 2018, 1:53 pm

oho ED u now explaining

for highway taxis is ac - ppl doh like their hair\clothes to blow up & to not hear road noise

most other short distance ph\taxis is fresh breeze , passengers feel more safe with all ur glass down especially if u new on scene & d way crime is , as a driver u need to use ur hand signals to d passengers on d road like u going long or short or rong d road etc

right in front my store have taxis\ph working st marys short to couva california , lil higher up d road is sando highway taxis & maxis all d way to sando too so i see how they operate ...

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » May 26th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Rovin's Audio wrote:oho ED u now explaining

for highway taxis is ac - ppl doh like their hair\clothes to blow up & to not hear road noise

most other short distance ph\taxis is fresh breeze , passengers feel more safe with all ur glass down especially if u new on scene & d way crime is , as a driver u need to use ur hand signals to d passengers on d road like u going long or short or rong d road etc

right in front my store have taxis\ph working st marys short to couva california , lil higher up d road is sando highway taxis & maxis all d way to sando too so i see how they operate ...

Ok thanks, I plan to work Arouca to Airport / St Helena, so that route its usually just AC on and high beam flash with the exception of dropping off in the airport that would require some hand signal to let them know if I going back Arouca or going St Helena.

Since it has a Bar opposite the Taxi stand there I will breeze out there until I reach close to the fulling point then turn on the AC, I observe something once you close enough to the end of the stand and you have AC turned on the passengers generally tend to jump in your car over other people. So I eh go beat up about that gas it go pay back for itself since I go full faster and make more trips cause most cars there don't like to run AC :)

I am also considering providing the FREE WIFI service for passengers aswell. It have some 7 seaters Curepe to St helena doing that now I notice

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 26th, 2018, 2:14 pm

with d wifi gimmick it may give u a added edge but whats d cost to do that ?

i have seen some ph cars with a lil hard pong attracting some school children , kinda like long time when maxi had pong in it

attractive rides draw school kids , adults like d nicer cars too , whatever u drive try to have it clean & presentable ....

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » May 26th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Rovin's Audio wrote:with d wifi gimmick it may give u a added edge but whats d cost to do that ?

i have seen some ph cars with a lil hard pong attracting some school children , kinda like long time when maxi had pong in it

attractive rides draw school kids , adults like d nicer cars too , whatever u drive try to have it clean & presentable ....

Yeah was considering something nice like this once I could get parts for it easily I fine.

http://www.trinicarsforsale.com/databas ... #topofpage

Definitely will be a nice looking car, I guess the free WIFI could be a hit or miss but only one way to find out, I assume its a typical 4G Modem with unlimited access, would even be great for me when I park up etc waiting for a trip cause I like my youtube, will work it without the wifi for a lil bit then will install it and see if it makes a difference.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 26th, 2018, 3:38 pm

taxi wuk is wear\tear on ur car eh & toyota parts for some reason rel pricey

go nissan for taxi cause like ppl say by every parlor have parts & cost is wayyyyyy cheaper than toyota

if was a private use ride then toyota ftw .....

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 26th, 2018, 4:00 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:I would ah buy a RORO Toyota Aqua eh but the battery replacement cost would be failure, compared to something like CNG which is much cheaper in the long run

Hybrid disposable like Bic Razor .

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » May 26th, 2018, 4:27 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
Rovin's Audio wrote:with d wifi gimmick it may give u a added edge but whats d cost to do that ?

Yeah was considering something nice like this once I could get parts for it easily I fine.

http://www.trinicarsforsale.com/databas ... #topofpage

Definitely will be a nice looking car, I guess the free WIFI could be a hit or miss but only one way to find out, I assume its a typical 4G Modem with unlimited access, would even be great for me when I park up etc waiting for a trip cause I like my youtube, will work it without the wifi for a lil bit then will install it and see if it makes a difference.
Bmobile have the car Wi-Fi package.u cud always check em

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » May 26th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Ed more info for u
Document%205_2.jpg

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » May 26th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Rovin's Audio wrote:taxi wuk is wear\tear on ur car eh & toyota parts for some reason rel pricey

go nissan for taxi cause like ppl say by every parlor have parts & cost is wayyyyyy cheaper than toyota

if was a private use ride then toyota ftw .....

Yeah this may be why so many people drive Nissan for Taxi, parts are significantly cheaper and can be found literally anywhere. My father has a fielder toyota and the part he needs he can't find it in Trinidad just imagine that.

jabs
Street 2NR

Postby jabs » May 27th, 2018, 3:59 am

About 2lb

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 27th, 2018, 4:29 am

U have a fielder available?
Hoss use it and handle the maintenance/upkeep.

Is tiida Y12 and fielder that running things in the non 7 seater category.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » May 27th, 2018, 7:24 am

sMASH wrote:U have a fielder available?
Hoss use it and handle the maintenance/upkeep.

Is tiida Y12 and fielder that running things in the non 7 seater category.

Nah that is my father fielder he does use that to go to work, I plan on buying my own car and turning it H and working Taxi with it.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”