TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Why are Trinis afraid of CVT transmission?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Re: Why are Trinis afraid of CVT transmission?

Postby Strugglerzinc » June 10th, 2018, 10:47 am

wingnut wrote:Is it safe to use substitute oils instead of the genuine as they are quite expensive

I saw Castrol claim their cvt fluid is suitable for use where Nissan Ns1/Ns2 and toyota TC/FE etc.

Anyone with experience using these substitutes in their Nissan or Toyota CVT

Yes, quite safe. If there is ever an issue however, the first thing everyone going to latch on to is the oil, even though it's not the case.

You will hear level prayers about you shoulda use the oem oil.

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » June 10th, 2018, 12:52 pm

rollingstock wrote:Cvt suffering from the same thing as gdi engines.
Backward ass mechanics who fail to keep up with technology and any new innovation to them is trouble and to stay away.

And the worst are those that are totally ignorant and believe or portray they know and apply old antiquated knowledge techniques wrt maintenance and service and blame the manufacturer when there is a failure.

Combined with the trini unwarranted ego..... this is definitely an industry to regularize since we are second in the Caribbean with respect to number of vehicles per capita

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » June 10th, 2018, 1:35 pm

I'm confused though. My bro 5year old Fielder, no issues. My 4 year old fielder no issues, and 3.5 year old CVT Tiida, no issues.
Like everything you use everyday it require care and maintenance. Just saying...

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » June 10th, 2018, 1:58 pm

All TIIDA cars come with CVT?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 10th, 2018, 2:45 pm

I had a cs3 lancer wit cvt. I found it very annoying to drive to the point I couldn't wait to rid myself of that car. My brother has the new qashqai with the Nissan xtronic CVT. Difference between the two is like chalk and cheese. Wouldn't mind driving those daily.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » June 10th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:CVT nice once its working properly, costly to repair, costly to replace but all trans expensive.
NS2 oil is a pricey thing vs regular trans oil. and on some vehicles like tiidas, y12 ect you honestly wont know the diff from driving them.
Well u know how I does drive my cvt lol and wokin...as say proper maintenance and correct oils and drive as any other car

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 10th, 2018, 9:07 pm

I agree , they all using similar type metal belt which is the main friction item inside

Strugglerzinc wrote:
wingnut wrote:Is it safe to use substitute oils instead of the genuine as they are quite expensive

I saw Castrol claim their cvt fluid is suitable for use where Nissan Ns1/Ns2 and toyota TC/FE etc.

Yes, quite safe. If there is ever an issue however, the first thing everyone going to latch on to is the oil, even though it's not the case.

You will hear level prayers about you shoulda use the oem oil.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 10th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Toyota got a bad rap because many shops were selling g regular Toyota oil and saying it could work

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » June 11th, 2018, 6:22 am

CVTs are generally a hit or a miss really with many manufacturers. It’s the same with torque converter automatics and dual clutch transmissions. The first time I heard of the fear of CVTs was in reference to the local CS Lancer which came with the 4G18 engine and INVECS 111 CVT. Another one we heard of was the P11 and P12 Primera with the Hypertronic CVT. Nissan later moved on to the Xtronic CVT as an improvement to the Hypertronic with several versions and updates across the Nissan lineup. Similarly, the INVECS 111 CVT found in the CY Lancer GT with the 4B11 engine has proven to be more reliable than the CY units of yesteryears. Many manufacturers are seeing the value of CVTs because it pairs well to deliver good fuel economy and now when you engage sport mode (if so equipped), the CVT mimics fixed gear or shift points as in a torque converter automatic. The current 2.0 Rav 4 has a CVT, both new Civic and CRV turbos have CVT, including all Xtrails from T31 to T32 and a plethora of roro Nissan Tiida/Wingroad/Sylphy etc. Make sure to change your fluid as per manufacturer recommendations and quit thinking that there is no such thing as rollback odometers. Most if not all roro vehicles have rolled back odometers, it’s a big racket also in our used car market. The mass deception in T&T is perpetuated by false information. You must not put what the mechanic feel is best for your transmission. Only the manufacturer specified fluid. No mix and matching and no substitute brands! Our Rav 4 as indicated by Toyota does not require a CVT fluid change until 80,000kms. We are far below that mark and would be proactively changing the fluid soon to play it safe.

For those on tight budgets and require a used car and probably narrowed your search down to a CS Lancer or P11 primera as an example, just make sure and do your due diligence please. Chances are those cars probably passed through multiple hands in terms of ownership and garages with mechanics tinkering with stuff. Avoid those cars like a plague or go brave and prepare to spend money. Last thing, names on a certified copy does not show the amount of owners previously. You could be the 3rd owner based on the appearance of names on the CC but so much hustling went on in between the first and second names since there are quite a lot of people hustling cars and not actually legally transferring them.

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » June 11th, 2018, 12:42 pm

I am truly surprised at the fact that cvt transmissions continue to be a source of real fear for possible owners.
Around 2010 and with respect to the Fielders and Axios appropriate operating and maintenance guidelines were given in the Toyota forum and if followed things were put to bed.
Those who peddle fear and mis-information just seem to get levels of attention which continue to surprise me.
BTW, the kind of foolishness people have come to me with at times requires me to exercise levels of mental restraint I never knew I was capable of.
…..Oh Well, fear is sometimes used by the unscrupulous to extort!

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » June 11th, 2018, 12:49 pm

I can't say for CVT but I had done research in the past and found that Nissan buys its tranny oil from Castrol and repackages it as nissan oil. Since that I using castrol in place of nissan matic j. Saving me $40 per quart

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » June 11th, 2018, 12:55 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:All TIIDA cars come with CVT?

I believe is from 2008 upward come with cvt

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » June 11th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Musical Doc wrote:

Roro Tiidas with HR15DE came CVT. Local Tiidas with HR16DE came 4AT, at least that is what I understand.

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » June 12th, 2018, 1:37 am

Just a note... Lady driven does not refer to maintenance. It indicates more delicate treatment of the vehicle as well as the statistic that women get into fewer accidents.

To me... Female driven... Really means... Female maintained.. Heh

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » June 12th, 2018, 8:56 am

agent007 wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:

Roro Tiidas with HR15DE came CVT. Local Tiidas with HR16DE came 4AT, at least that is what I understand.

MIne is 2007 roro an it is 4AT. My coworker's 2008 roro is cvt

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”