Forums

TATT wants to regulate Android boxes

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: TATT wants to regulate Android boxes

Postby supernedd » June 16th, 2018, 2:27 am

i hate this country .. smh . let me go buy a new box b4 d price go up .. . pirates will win

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Tatt weighing android box ban

Postby supernedd » June 16th, 2018, 2:28 am

wickedtuna wrote:Approximately $300,000 worth of possible tax revenue to the Government is being lost on a yearly basis because customers are buying Android boxes instead of becoming paid television subscribers, DirecTV general manager Bernard Pantin says. He estimates there could be as many as 80,000 Android boxes currently in the country.

Pantin made the claim at a conference titled “Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement: Video Content Piracy” hosted by Alianza at the Hyatt Regency, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.

Android boxes allow users to stream content from the Internet and are sold with pre-installed software which sometimes allow content to be streamed illegally. And this piracy is where the problem lies. The boxes can be purchased at some retail stores around the country and their prevalence is said to be impacting the revenue for subscription television, which has been dwindling in recent times.

Annie Baldeo, of the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT), said revenue for paid television fell from $183 million in the last quarter of 2016 to $164 million in the first quarter of 2017. One of the reasons for the declining revenue was the increase in Android box usage, Baldeo said.

“There is a new free kid in town - the Android boxes, you never have to pay another monthly fee in your life, you are getting something fully loaded, all red flags if somebody is offering you that,” Pantin pointed out.

Corporate Vice President of HB Latin America Group Javier Figueras agreed with Pantin about the rise of the Android boxes and the new frontier being explored by pirates.

“People are paying for services and not knowing how long it will last. It is true there are many Android boxes, there are many people paying for that but they don’t know how long it will last and for which distributors are not even paying a penny, such as companies like Novo, in this country pushing the Android box and pushing services that are totally illegal,” Figueras said.

Figueras said piracy is a very serious topic which affects all.

“Piracy oftentimes goes hand in hand with illegal activities such as drug trafficking, weapons, money laundering that affects the country,” he said, adding piracy is not the “victimless crime” that many believe it is.

TATT’s Karel Douglas said the authority will begin consultations for the regulation of Android boxes next week.

“We have persons in the industry question the importation and the sale of these devices and how it threatens the livelihood of many providers, we have had small cable tv broadcasters indicate that Android boxes have destroyed their business and they are opting out of the subscription television market,” Douglas said.

“We have been asked time and time again what is TATT the regulator doing about these devices and why is it that we the regulator is allowing Android boxes to be openly imported and sold to the public at the expense of the industry. Well, we have heard you and the authority will soon begin the process of holding consultations on the issue of Android boxes.”

One avenue that is being proposed to address the issue is the possible banning of Android boxes being imported into the country. TATT has already drafted a consultation paper which is to be published by June 25.
he sound like a kid who snitch to d teacher ... lol

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » June 16th, 2018, 2:29 am

timothymcdavid wrote:They might as well ban internet, computers and cellphones as well cause TV is for geriatrics and I am almost one myself.

Honestly I can't remember watching a TV program from start to finish even the news and I dont own an android box either. My experience trying to stream F1 via Kodi on a 15Mb connection didnt impress me at all.

Peoples tastes are changing TATT is going to have find new ways to get those revenue streams in which probably means to be ahead of the game we are going to have to VPN up in Trinidad soon.

That said Youtube channels are far more interesting than what you get on TV or even cable these days.
youtube is what i watch most of d time. lol

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » June 16th, 2018, 2:30 am

MYVEC wrote:Trust me, TATT who is an institution separate from the government will succeed in squeezing the Android box users... They don't need to tax the boxes heavily... All they need to do I allow the sanctions that tell internet providers that these sites on the android boxes are pirate and can be stopped, and the internet providers will simply block the sites in their back-ends... Job done!

Similar to when digicel blocked whatsapp I believe it was for an entire day... The blocking is very easy to accomplish, rendering all the android boxes in the field useless.

Yes new sites will pop up to use on the boxes after the sanctions are in place, but would one buy a box for $700 with the hope that they will get it to work... No!

And that's what TATT will try to accomplish i.e. stifle the android box market into submission. And there is nothing illegal about them doing this because no one can truly stand up officially for illegal content, which is what Android boxes really are.
we will find a way around that

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » June 16th, 2018, 2:31 am

88sins wrote:“There is a new free kid in town - the Android boxes, you never have to pay another monthly fee in your life, you are getting something fully loaded, all red flags if somebody is offering you that,” Pantin pointed out.
“Piracy oftentimes goes hand in hand with illegal activities such as drug trafficking, weapons, money laundering that affects the country,” he said, adding piracy is not the “victimless crime” that many believe it is.

First issue tho, funny thing , watching movies on android boxes isnt piracy, it actually more like sharing.
Because one thing that MUST occur for an action to be labeled piracy is that consideration must be exchanged, the supplier of the content must receive gain from the sale of the content to the buyer without having legally bought the content or obtaining permission to redistribute it for such gains. So if I stream a movie by connecting to a host that allows me to freely do so, if piracy has occurred it's at the host side of the equation. Let them try to stop that first.

so, dem vex ppl get smart & no longer wiling to pay for TV & vex about lost revenue? hard luck. The answer to their problems is they hadda both up their game, & lower their rates. $3000/yr is too much to pay to watch d same sheit over & over & over on flow/dtvTV.

So, lewwe say they ban android boxes, then what next? Hadda ban smart TV's too, because they can have apps installed to do the same as an android box. ok, next, ban tablets, cell phones, computers, laptops, notebooks, etc. Ban anything with a screen & an android os or that can be made to use an android app.
Then we would have nothing to watch cable on or surf d web on anyway, so they could now rent us a tv & a computer, in addition to their cable box & assorted packages. Score the ultimate dream for the local tv cartel.
More crime.. cause People will be bored

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » June 16th, 2018, 2:34 am

pete wrote:If the cable companies are losing money to broadband then why not... raise the price of broadband?
aye aye ..stop giving them ideas. flow price done raise for d year

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » June 16th, 2018, 2:34 am

when flow was stealing hbo n cinemax all them years .. where was tatt

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 16th, 2018, 6:09 am

supernedd wrote:i hate this country .. smh . let me go buy a new box b4 d price go up .. . pirates will win

Why you hate this country ?

What country do to you ?

If you play , you gotta pay :D

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 16th, 2018, 6:49 am

what about the people who have paid subscriptions for Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu and Youtube and actually gets their content straight from these sources in HD? What is the plan for that? Internet regulation now? I swear if old people knew how to get ZeeTV on demand through the internet, Flow's cable business gone through.

Btw, the net neutrality fight in USA is all about cable companies losing cable and knowing that they have to regulate the internet to get a fee so people could watch all this content that they are already getting for "free." People would have to pay different internet bills for various "Media Streaming Packages." eg. a (Netflix+Amazon Prime bundle) so they won't throttle your bandwidth for this usage.

This is what will happen here too if we don't fight it.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 16th, 2018, 7:20 am

maj. tom wrote:what about the people who have paid subscriptions for Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu and Youtube and actually gets their content straight from these sources in HD? What is the plan for that? Internet regulation now? I swear if old people knew how to get ZeeTV on demand through the internet, Flow's cable business gone through.

Btw, the net neutrality fight in USA is all about cable companies losing cable and knowing that they have to regulate the internet to get a fee so people could watch all this content that they are already getting for "free." People would have to pay different internet bills for various "Media Streaming Packages." eg. a (Netflix+Amazon Prime bundle) so they won't throttle your bandwidth for this usage.

This is what will happen here too if we don't fight it.

TATT not banning nutting :roll:

Prince just want publicity .

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 16th, 2018, 10:45 am

kstt
Riding on 16's

Postby kstt » June 16th, 2018, 5:27 pm

They could also be testing the waters to see how much opposition to the idea they are getting and then say they never had the intention of doing that or TATT would come out and say they don't agree to the idea and look like a hero, just like what the government often does.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 16th, 2018, 8:49 pm

kstt wrote:They could also be testing the waters to see how much opposition to the idea they are getting and then say they never had the intention of doing that or TATT would come out and say they don't agree to the idea and look like a hero, just like what the government often does.

True you know. Maybe they waiting to see if anyone decide to riot first :|

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 16th, 2018, 9:06 pm

I thinking if the isp's getting bright enough to block sites intentionally...

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » June 17th, 2018, 9:14 am

Ok TATT on madness.
1. Android boxed(stock) are not violating any laws.
2. "Fully loaded" android boxes i.e. the ones that came preloaded with software plugins(custom free plugins added) or sideloaded android apps. This is where it might be illegal Btw fully loaded boxes already banned on amazon. However you can still buy it stock and do whatever modifications you want after. Technically you own the device.
3. Also any device can be made into a fully loaded box/device. You can use any android phone, tablet, some smart tvs etc. So banning android boxes ain't stopping anything.
4. The cordcutters movement is continuing to grow, ppl are dropping cable and opting to just have internet only or optionally have a streaming service like netflix. The cost of doing this is way less that having cable.
5. Lastly almost every electronic device ps4, xbox, nintendo switch(coming soon), smart tv comes with streaming services builtin. Streaming services killing cable not piracy. Ppl want to watch stuff on demand, when they want.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 17th, 2018, 9:28 am

Why was the local novo company targeted ?
Do they provide internet and android boxes explicitly as a service?

VinaiS
Street 2NR

Postby VinaiS » June 17th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Real third world

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » June 17th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Now allyuh go realize why I does say we aspire to banana republic status, we are a greenfig nation.

kstt
Riding on 16's

Postby kstt » June 17th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Where do I sign the petition? 80,000 android box users are a lot of signatures.

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » June 18th, 2018, 6:19 am

Trinis are truly simple minded and selfish.

With all that is wrong in this country(which is almost everything) the only two things we can find to unite to stand up for are the right to drive fast and to watch tv.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 7th, 2018, 8:54 pm

they may start with the android boxes, but they may want to carry it further, like what europe is doing and africa is doing.

TIMESTAMPS
1:45 Wikipedia protest EU copyright reform
2:58 EU internet copyright bill rejected
12:02 Elon Musk to assist Thailand cave rescue
20:00 In Uganda, social media now a taxable activity
23:53 Strict new internet laws in Tanzania
30:09 Sponsors
37:39 Facebook takes town Declaration of Independence
42:42 Google AdSense Bans Innocent page
45:12 AMD B450 boards coming out
47:36 Sonos Files for Initial Public Offering
49:50 Seagate announces a mainstream SSD drive
50:06 Valve leaks Steam game player counts

rondellakacrash
3NE 2NR for life

Postby rondellakacrash » July 19th, 2018, 8:29 am

sMASH wrote:I thinking if the isp's getting bright enough to block sites intentionally...
Vpn for that.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 19th, 2018, 4:01 pm

some countries blocking vpn too.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » July 19th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Say it with me

Backward ever forward never!

Just like the new galleons passage going back to panorama travel times great is de..say it say it !

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » July 19th, 2018, 6:44 pm

kstt wrote:They could also be testing the waters to see how much opposition to the idea they are getting and then say they never had the intention of doing that or TATT would come out and say they don't agree to the idea and look like a hero, just like what the government often does.

Like what they did with the vehicle inspection just before local government elections!

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » July 20th, 2018, 5:09 pm

not sure if posted earlier

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/kod ... ox-3508886

The owner of a “major” pirate streaming service that enabled customers to watch Premier League football matches, as well as films and TV shows, for free has been jailed for five years and three months.

John Haggerty sold more than 8000 illicit streaming devices that had been pre-loaded with pirate addons between March 2013 and July 2015, making over £750,000 in the process. He sold them, and access to his own illegal streaming service infusum.tv, through a company called Evolution Trading, which he ran with his wife Mary Gilfillan.

Related: Best Kodi addons

They both appeared at Newcastle Crown Court this week, where Haggerty pled guilty to conspiracy to defraud and dishonestly obtaining services for another, and Gilfillan was handed a two-year suspended sentence for fraud.

So-called “fully loaded” Kodi boxes are illegal, and Judge Simon Batiste told Haggerty that he put all of his thousands of customers “at risk of prosecution” by selling the devices to them.

“This case demonstrates how seriously the Courts are dealing with criminals involved in the supply of illicit streaming devices and services that provide illegal access to Premier League football and other popular content,” said Kevin Plumb, the Premier League’s director of legal services.

Related: Best Kodi box

Latest
Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 14
New Bluetooth standard could enable surround sound with existing speakers
Amazon Easter Sale
Credit: Amazon
Amazon’s new Part Finder feature helps shoppers with a screw loose

Sony Xperia XZ3 render leak shows another design stuck in 2015
He added: “The Premier League is currently engaged in one of the biggest and most successful anti-piracy programmes in the World and its own investigations, along with those by Northumberland Trading Standards and FACT, have helped bring these criminals to justice.

“The ability that Premier League clubs have to develop and acquire talented players, to build and improve stadiums and to support communities and schools, is predicated on being able to market, sell and protect commercial rights. This makes the protection of our copyright hugely important to the future health of English football and beyond, something we are pleased the Courts continue to recognise with judgments like this one.”

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » July 21st, 2018, 10:27 am

el o el

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 12th, 2018, 12:54 am

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 12th, 2018, 6:28 am

Do they realize that you could run KODI on a PC and have your tv on as a dual monitor? Do they realize that Smart TVs come with apps already installed? Do they realize that people PAY for legal services like Netflix, Hulu, etc. ? What will banning the Android boxes do? That won't affect anyone!

These people need to catch up with how the technology works before going to the press to bray about their incompetence in basic knowledge, far less for trying to make and implement technology laws.

You ever realize that the business models of Trinidad seems to be to punish the consumer, rather than adapt to the way the world works wrt to technology? Because of greedy shareholders' corrupt reach into the Government. They see Amazon and want to tax people more for skybox, rather than adapting their local businesses to compete with Amazon products and shipping times. Nevermind the tremendous local shipping business and employment Amazon shopping had created. Another mark of 3rd world thinking.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”