Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

stikid09
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Garcia: 1,486 TT students got zero CSEC passes

Postby stikid09 » August 14th, 2018, 6:33 pm

19 Hrs Ago Andrew Gioannetti
Garcia: 1,486 TT students got zero CSEC passes
Education Minister Anthony Garcia

NEARLY 1,500 students who wrote the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) exam in May and June from government and government-assisted secondary schools in TT received no passes.

This was revealed by Minister of Education Anthony Garcia who, in a brief interview with Newsday yesterday, said he was satisfied with the candidates’ performance when compared to the past eight years. He said his findings were based on basic details he has received.

“I can tell you that the performance of our students this year has been better than in previous years,” Garcia said.

In total, 21,520 TT candidates wrote the exam, out of which 16,042 were from government and government-assisted schools.

Of this figure, 1,486 scored no pass marks. Garcia said the rest of candidates sat the exam privately and, as such, fall out of the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education.

On Saturday, a function was hosted by the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) at St George’s University Campus in Grenada to officially announce the overall performance of candidates in the region.

CXC registrar Glenroy Cumberbatch expressed concern over the 11,000 students who failed to secure the passing grade between I-III.

When contacted yesterday, Garcia said he was not yet able to share certain details which include the pass rates in their respective subjects, but assured that this was the best performing year for TT since 2010.

“We have not yet done a detailed analysis and when that detailed analysis has been completed, it will be taken to cabinet. What I can say is, I have been pleased with the performance of our students because in almost every subject area there has been an increase in their performance.

Students in TT received their results for CAPE exams from CXC’s online portal on Sunday. On Thursday, students will be able to access their CSEC results online.

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2018/08/13/garcia ... ec-passes/

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Garcia: 1,486 TT students got zero CSEC passes

Postby sMASH » August 14th, 2018, 9:20 pm

9.2% of the tt children failed utterly.

9.2% of children are practically unemployable

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » August 14th, 2018, 10:49 pm

sMASH wrote:9.2% of the tt children failed utterly.

You don't need education to be a successful person.. stop indoctrinating.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 14th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Zetski wrote:

vision 2030?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 14th, 2018, 10:58 pm

You don't need basic Math and English to be successful in 2018 and the future? That means they cannot even communicate with other humans on the most fundamental level of exchanging ideas. Most successful vagrant then?

But lemme guess, you know somebody...

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » August 14th, 2018, 11:30 pm

I am inclined to think that the failure rate of TT students has been known all along, since probably the 80's and not limited to CSEC but the Common Entrance exam as well as at CXC.

Why say this now??? Don't know, when it's probably well know within the industry (among teachers anyway) and maybe some students.

Are there statistics for the Common Entrance and CXC though? Would be good to see.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » August 15th, 2018, 12:36 am

Zetski wrote:
sMASH wrote:9.2% of the tt children failed utterly.

This is basic functional literacy we talking about here though.
You dont need a BSc or even CAPE to be successful, of course. But we pay too much attention to the outliers than the average. A tiny percentage of people that have zero subjects might turn out successful, but what happening to the bulk of them?

This is called survivorship bias.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » August 15th, 2018, 12:45 am

Numb3r4 wrote:I am inclined to think that the failure rate of TT students has been known all along, since probably the 80's and not limited to CSEC but the Common Entrance exam as well as at CXC.

Why say this now??? Don't know, when it's probably well know within the industry (among teachers anyway) and maybe some students.

Are there statistics for the Common Entrance and CXC though? Would be good to see.
All schools are privy to the failure rates across the country/region. CXC sends out a little booklet every year.

TT is around 50% pass rate in English A and 45% pass rate in Mathematics

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » August 15th, 2018, 3:40 am

To pass exams is all about memory retention.
Tradesmen probably dont have one o level but make more money than you and don't pay income taxes.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » August 15th, 2018, 6:44 am

zoom rader wrote:To pass exams is all about memory retention.
Tradesmen probably dont have one o level but make more money than you and don't pay income taxes.

To be a drain on society is not something to brag about

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 15th, 2018, 7:09 am

u still need to read the tape measure, u still need to understand the instructions on the bottle...
and that is what passes in english and maths would have indicated.

i mean, u cant even put them to cash in kfc or become security guard cause the cant count and can write up diary

lalloboy101
Sweet on this forum

Postby lalloboy101 » August 15th, 2018, 7:12 am

How exactly is success measured by you all?, is it the big paying jobs, fancy house , cars, etc

bess almera
Sweet on this forum

Postby bess almera » August 15th, 2018, 7:20 am

sMASH wrote:

u still need to read the tape measure, u still need to understand the instructions on the bottle...
and that is what passes in english and maths would have indicated.

i mean, u cant even put them to cash in kfc or become security guard cause the cant count and can write up diary

Smash, you don’t learn to read and write in secondary school. These basic elements are taught at the primary level. I understand ZR’s point.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 15th, 2018, 7:25 am

Nobody define success yet.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 15th, 2018, 7:41 am

Those who did not pass should have some form of assistance with a Career school programme, or be eyeballed for training into a form of Trade, there is a serious lack of good tradesmen these days.... forget all the fortnight and xbox sh1t- keep those young people busy...……………… train them....

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » August 15th, 2018, 8:10 am

rspann wrote:Nobody define success yet.
Shirt and tie and having to take loan for everything is success.

Dirty hands and clothes but could walk in Toyota and buy a hilux cash or buy house and land without worrying bout APR - failure.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » August 15th, 2018, 9:00 am

They really need to remove the stigma of learning a trade. I real saving money blanking barbers, wacker and power wash men since I start doing it myself.
I wish I coulda plumb, put up a wall or do some basic auto maintenance too.

bess almera
Sweet on this forum

Postby bess almera » August 15th, 2018, 9:05 am

Les Bain wrote:They really need to remove the stigma of learning a trade. I real saving money blanking barbers, wacker and power wash men since I start doing it myself.
I wish I coulda plumb, put up a wall or do some basic auto maintenance too.

Agreed...I’m actually venturing into Air conditioning and refrigeration as a trade despite completing tertiary level.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 15th, 2018, 9:47 am

^^correct. and if 5 years after that u still cant do it well enough to pass each exam, that is troubling.

nivek
Sweet on this forum

Postby nivek » August 15th, 2018, 10:01 am

in this life u need to do what makes u happy...left oil and gas industry...skin for a couple yrs and following my passion of car detailing now..

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » August 15th, 2018, 10:56 am

Dizzy28 wrote:

Dirty hands and clothes but could walk in Toyota and buy a hilux cash or buy house and land without worrying bout APR - failure.
Thats about right....

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 15th, 2018, 12:32 pm

maj. tom wrote:You don't need basic Math and English to be successful in 2018 and the future? That means they cannot even communicate with other humans on the most fundamental level of exchanging ideas. Most successful vagrant then?

But lemme guess, you know somebody...

you don't need o-level math and english to be functional y'know
SEA basic reading and 'rithmatic can get you very far if you apply yourself
Just ask any building contractor who can line up a house, read blueprints and do a materials estimate, all with nothing more than a primary school education

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » August 15th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:

Nobody here saying that white collar job = successful though. Men does get so defensive about this kind of thing. We not talking about needing 8 CSEC 1s or even bare passes. We talking about 1486 students that failed to meet the minimum standards of a secondary school education.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 15th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Some of these students have no interest in school and studying. They go to school, lime ,disrupt classes, and graduate into the life that they are suited for. There are others who cannot take academics ,but might be suited for other jobs/careers. I don't see having education as the only form of success because there are uneducated people who have a very comfortable life, and educated people who cannot handle their stories. I tend to view success as being happy with whatever you do, and being able to find satisfaction with your life.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » August 15th, 2018, 6:50 pm

rspann wrote:Some of these students have no interest in school and studying. They go to school, lime ,disrupt classes, and graduate into the life that they are suited for. There are others who cannot take academics ,but might be suited for other jobs/careers. I don't see having education as the only form of success because there are uneducated people who have a very comfortable life, and educated people who cannot handle their stories. I tend to view success as being happy with whatever you do, and being able to find satisfaction with your life.

The above statement is absolute greasy monkey diabolic BS .

ALL children have the constitutional right to an education .

It's the ONLY method that is universally accepted to bring about a civilized society and removal from poverty.

These students have no interest since they follow their ignorant parents, who are themselves uneducated .

Happy and Education are 2 different discussions DA.

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » August 15th, 2018, 6:54 pm

I want to see the schools they attended!

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 15th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Having a right, and using it are two different things and has no thing to do with being successful. You claim to have education, but everbody sees you as a big fool on trinituner because of your behaviour. Tell us what school you went to, how much education you have and where you work. You know that I know the real facts and that is why you are so salty.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 15th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Barataria senior sec and a clerical job could be success, depends on how you look at it. You could build a house in Kelly Village, doesn't have to be in the west, buy a Hilux on loan from the bank. Nothing much, but still content.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » August 15th, 2018, 7:17 pm

rspann wrote:Having a right, and using it are two different things and has no thing to do with being successful. You claim to have education, but everbody sees you as a big fool on trinituner because of your behaviour. Tell us what school you went to, how much education you have and where you work. You know that I know the real facts and that is why you are so salty.

Wrong again .. like a common yard fowl :!:

Education and success are 2 different subjects .

Education is a right but it must enshrined within a child's or person's environment .

A good example is what happened in Beetham Gardens with Minster Hinds .

Mr Hinds for all the criticism , is an educated man who does not live in his constituency .

Who is suffering ? Mr Hinds ?

How and Why did this area develop and why ? No education . Not lazy people, you DA.

The distinction is people like Hinds makes repeatedly is that he is racial but not racist.

He divides people.

Education solves this dilemma .

You taking notes , you greasy monkey man.

If you know the "real facts " ( you such a DA .. real facts ? A fact is a fact ) preach brother !

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 15th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Somebody get RedHEN vex? Why he ranting so?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”