this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Crime - How FOREIGNERS see T&T!

Postby bluefete » September 15th, 2018, 4:19 pm

The Comments are BRUTAL and sobering.

Crime in Trinidad & Tobago: How to Stay Safe
Trinidad and Tobago has some pretty disturbing crime statistics, and frightening stories when it comes to attacks on tourists. But, there are ways to stay safe, so don’t cross it off your travel wish-list just yet.

Attacks on tourists are increasing on both islands, with crime being a major issue all year round, not just in peak tourist season around Carnival and Christmas.

If you are traveling to Trinidad and Tobago, travel there with someone you trust, never do things alone, do all sightseeing during daylight hours, and always carry a mobile phone in case of an emergency.

Many incidents involving firearms occur in tourist populated sites such as Fort George, the Pitch Lake, Las Cuevas beach, shopping malls, nightclubs and restaurants, which are primarily targets for robberies.

There are a few regions known to be more dangerous in the capital, Port of Spain on Trinidad, including; Laventille, Morvant, Sea Lots, South Belmont, and the inside of the Queen’s Park Savannah. At night steer clear of scenic rest stops and downtown Port of Spain.

Try to resist the temptation to seek out remote beaches far away from other tourists and crowds. Crowds are actually what you need to stay safe here.

Isolated beaches known for high crime rates are Englishman's Bay, Las Cuevas, just beyond Maracas Bay, and King Peter's Bay.

Accommodation Safety in Trinidad and Tobago

Accommodation is also something you need to be cautious about. In October 2008, a Swedish couple were chopped to death in their hotel room in Tobago. Just 10 days later in Tobago, two British females were robbed and sexually assaulted by a bandit who forced his way into their holiday apartment.

These stories and statistics are frightening, but when it comes to accommodation such as renting a villa, make sure you have tight security measures in place. This includes bars on windows, outdoor security lighting, and 24-hour security guards.

Airport Safety in Trinidad and Tobago

Airports are always a hotspot for criminals who are waiting to take advantage of tired, and potentially ignorant tourists.

If you are traveling after dark from Trinidad’s Piarco Airport, be cautious of who may be following you. Incidents have been reported of armed robbers trailing passengers from the airport, and confronting them in remote areas. People have been followed and attacked in the airport car park, the highway leading from the airport to downtown Port of Spain, and as far as the outside of residences.

Highway Robbery in Trinidad and Tobago

When it comes to traveling on roads in Trinidad and Tobago, some are more dangerous than others.

The Beetham Highway, a main road used to get in and out of the city, has regular incidents, with people running out onto the road, and people throwing masonry bricks or other debris at cars in order to cause an accident. When the car is forced to stop, a group of people will appear, and rob the victims of their valuables – and in some cases, violently assault them.

If you happen to have car trouble while traveling on this stretch of road, if the car is still able to drive, get out of the area before seeking help.

Thieves will try almost anything to get you to stop your vehicle. Many ‘bump and rob’ incidents have been reported, especially in Laventille. This is where the culprit rear-ends the victim, usually only causing minor damage. Naturally the driver will stop and get out of the car, only to be robbed.

Some of these incidents have turned fatal, even if the victim hasn’t tried to fight off their robber.

These kinds of attacks are common, and smash and grab style theft from cars occurs frequently too. Always keep valuables hidden, especially near tourist attractions. This goes for both Trinidad and Tobago.

ATM Scam in Trinidad and Tobago

This ATM scam is common for thieves – Trinidad in particular.

The thief uses X-ray film to construct a pocket, which is placed in the card slot of the ATM. When you insert your card, you won’t be able to withdraw money, nor will you be able to eject your card.

While you're standing there in a state of stress, a bystander will approach with advice to enter in your PIN number backwards. This sinister ‘good Samaritan’ will be watching to see what your PIN number is.

As you leave without your card, the thief will then be able to remove the x-ray film, which has captured your card, and will also know your PIN number. Some more savvy thieves will have installed a nearby camera to hopefully catch you entering your PIN.

If this does happen to you, don’t enter your PIN when you're approached by a stranger. Or if you can, inspect the ATM and see if you can detect if it’s been tampered with. If you are lucky, you will be able to pull out the film yourself. If not, cancel your card as soon as possible.

Other Crime Issues in Trinidad and Tobago

Other little things to know about Trinidad and Tobago is that there are a lot of hawkers. This gets annoying, but you’ll soon learn to be stern but polite, and they will leave you alone.

Women may also feel hassled by male attention. Again be firm but polite – a ‘good morning’ is the first step to befriending a local, and can usually be better than ignoring someone completely.

By Phil Sylvester,
World Nomads Contributor - Tue, 23 Jan 2018 - 92801 views

66 Comments

Anne said 5 years ago
Also, the U.S dollar is worth about 6x to T&T's dollar. Thus, tourists should be aware of the difference in currency values as they sometimes pay in US dollars.

Anon said 3 years ago
germany couple killed on the beach in bacolet tobago 22.11.2014 .goverment tends to cover all isssues

Colin McKenzie said 3 years ago
I agree with you Anne. Since our money is 6.00TTD to 1.00USD some people would take advantage of tourist by robbing them. Not only by violent means, for example- a taxi driver would charge exorbitant fare to a certain destination.
The German couple who was murdered leaves a bitter taste in future tourist to Tobago. Also the Greens from England is seeking compensation for damages to them while they were in Tobago.

avines said 3 years ago
the attacks on tourists will take years in dollar terms for TNT to live down, why take a chance on being maimned, the greens were brutality attacked, leaving Mr Green Blind with difficullty walking fro long periods, his wife sustained wounds to her face of a very severe nature, resulting in many surgical procedures,one part of these horrendous attack, Mrs Green dragged her self to the road begging for help, several people in cars laughed took photos and drove away, mans inhumanity to man,

ken said 3 years ago
It grieves my heart to read such things about my home land...such a shame....what have we come to. TnT is still a beautiful place and as with ever economically developing nation there is a need for safety when visiting. Yes the crime has risen but so to has the economy, the education system and together we stand together we achieve discipline, tolerance and profuction

Akankwasa Albert said 2 years ago
I was planning to emigrate to Trinidad but Am scared now

Trini gyal said 2 years ago
This article is nothing but sensationalism. Yes, Trinidad and Tobago as a worsening crime situation. But most of the so called tips here apply to any person reasonable concerned about their safety in their day to day lives. The information on the Beetham highway is the only Trini-specific useful piece of information I see here, and those incidents do not occur nearly as often as implied here. Neither do the atm scams (which happen all over the world) nor incidents at the airport! And I know this because I live here. It's not perfect, and there is so much to be improved in terms of crime- but this doomsday article just really pissed me off. Common sense will tell you to be careful wherever you go- which means not going to abandoned beaches or walking down dark alleyways at night or myriad other precautions we all take daily. Damn.

Ben Langridge said 2 years ago
I'm an Australian married to a TT local, we now live in Australia. I've been to TT many times and enjoyed it's rich culture and have many great friends and family here. My partners family does not live in a rich area, rather right next to a ghetto names Gaza Strip, you can probably figure out why it's called that. As a white guy I never feel safe, I'm constantly being reminded by locals not go here or there, don't travel alone to the shops, stick to busy beaches, don't go driving in the country, don't go out in the city at night too late, etc. Nothing has ever happened to me but over the years I've heard many stories of tourists getting assaulted or worse. Sometimes I feel it's just a matter of time before its me. I could not live in TT because I would feel I have no freedom to explore the countryside and go surfing on remote beaches, like I can do anywhere in Australia and never feel unsafe or threatened. The locals can say what they like to defend their country but at the end of the day it's a risk to visit and for me I don't like to be in a place where I can't have the same freedom as I enjoy in my own safe country.

Michael Abraham said 2 years ago
Hi I am a Trinidadian 100% I have been all over Trinidad even to some of the worst parts in laventille, morvant, sea lots, and enterprise during the day of course mostly because of work. I am also kind of 'white' and many times other uneducated Trinis assume I am a tourist. It is so annoying how they approach me trying to hustle me until I open my mouth and put them in their place. In other words I have seen both sides of the spectrum. Trinidad and Tobago is a paradise to me. I have never been robbed at gunpoint but I have definitely seen bandits eye me down twice in my 35 yrs. I dress in rags most of the time so that helps a lot. My car was broken into 4 times, 3 while surfing (since I stoped locking the doors it has stopped). Long story short, if u are a tourist, just stick with good friends who know the country and you will have the best time guaranteed. Otherwise, don't come here. Too many blasted vultures looking for a hustle

Meghan said 2 years ago
I'm a white girl who lived in Trinidad and visited at least 17 times in last 20 years. I lived in NYC, now in Hong Kong, previously Australia. I think there's a lot of truth to the varied comments. In all my time in Trinidad, nothing too bad happened directly to me. (Someone did poison the dog with intentions to rob the house. I have friends who were carjacked & family member murdered.) But I also do hang with locals, generally know where I'm going and where not to go and can put on an accent if needed. I also lived in ghetto Brooklyn back in the 90s and nothing happened to me there either. A lot of the safety factor is how you carry yourself - anywhere in the world. You get a lot of what you put out. If you walk around worried and nervous, you're a target. Know where you're going (or at least act like you do) and be smart. But yes, fundamentally, in Trinidad, you need to watch yourself, especially as an obvious foreigner. In Hong Kong, you could drop your wallet and someone will run after you to hand it back. In Australia, they'll likely pocket it. In Trinidad, you're better off carrying your 'vex money' in your bra ;) If you're an experienced, adventurous traveller or have some good trustworthy friends in T&T that you're going to stay with, you'll be fine.

Margo Zak said 2 years ago
My husband and I lived in Tobago for close to five years, from 2003 to 1007. I used to run on beaches alone and have fond memories of our time there.
I am so deeply saddened to hear of the murders, rapes and robberies which have become commonplace.
During our time there we tried to be extra cautious but at the end of the day we were just lucky; there has always been an undercurrent of strong dislike for whites. I know several individuals who have since been murdered.
Until there is a massive crack down on violent behavior by government and law enforcement it will continue to escalate.
Jane Paner said 2 years ago
I live in TRinidad and see and experience that it is a dangerous place, corrupt, and little opportunity, the weather is terrible, the beaches have become very polluted, the people are mostly rude, uneducated, mean, nosey ( maco), expensive almost everything. I tried to see it as an island paradise, but it's just not anymore...actually it never was, maybe back in the 1920's or something. Some of the most TRickiest people i ever met are from here. I and this whole country needs to seek refugee status in 1st world countries such as usa, canada and uk. This country should be listed as a country that people need to get out of. Example: pmn government are gangsters, bribes are a way of life, lots of kids cant even go to school, no jobs, crime, crime, pollution and more...save us please someone, help us trinis that have 1/2 a brain to get away by seeking refugee status.

Peter said 2 years ago
To those who claim this advice could apply to anywhere:
Really? I've never had to worry about visiting an "abandoned" beach before. In normal countries you can go to any beach without reasonable worry. Apparently in Trinidad there is a long list of beaches not to go to; I've never heard that one before.

Ralph Oswick said 2 years ago
We went on holiday to Tobago a couple of years ago. About the 5th time I've been there. No problems. Very friendly everywhere. I cycled to lonely beaches on my own, all I got was cheery hellos. I live in Bath, England. Very beautiful historic city, very well off place. Girl was raped just around the corner from my house. So there you are, happens everywhere.

Aeon said 2 years ago
As a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago, I strongly discourage any tourists from visiting. The crime situation is much more serious than the government and tourism ministries would have you believe. There are far better and safer countries out there.

ART said 2 years ago
All those people who always say things like oh crime happens everywhere are totally missing the point. T&T does have a crime problem, plain and simple! You cant compare it to a lot of other places. When I was in my 20's, I did lots of solo travelling throughout the world. I travelled around Australia and New Zealand by myself, never felt threatened or was the victim of any crime. Would I recommend anyone travel around Trinidad alone? Absolutely not! A few years back I travelled around India alone, and I even felt far safer there than in Trinidad.....and this is a country with 1.2 billion people. Lets face it, Trinidad's crime rate is through the roof, whether people want to admit it or not.

Edward said 2 years ago
I left Trinidad about 46 years ago. My experience growing up in a mixed neighbourhood was the racism and crime. Living in Canada is a paradise compared to Trinidad. I would never go back to Tobago. Stayed in a hotel and lined up at the breakfast bar, the cleaning staff just went ahead of everyone and got served by the cook who was their friend, to make matters worst they were very rude and obnoxious. I have travelled a lot and like to tip the servers but these I refused.
Clint Charles said 2 years ago
The people of Trinidad and Tobago are not ready for the tourist trade.
Say what you want about Jamaica,but they
know how to show their guests ,a good time!

Cody said 2 years ago
I'm a white guy from Vancouver and have booked a flight to TnT for February 2017 for 2 weeks. mostly in tobago and a few days in trinidad for carnivale. This article and comments definitely have me concerned to say the least. My girlfriend who is also white will be with me. We are going with a friend of mine who was born in Trinidad but has lived in Canada almost his whole life and his gf originally from Bermuda. Any more tips and your overall thoughts on my trip would be appreciated. Thanks.

Toms said 2 years ago
Just came back from Tobago, spending 10 awsome days there. Everything was just fine, no problems. Yet, just by accident I stumbled upon articles about crime in TT and it made me very worried through out the whole stay there. We stayed close to Bacolet bay and Minister bay. Once you google the last one, you will understand the worry.

At the same time, i have to admit no problems what so ever. Yes, locals are somewhat arrogant but once you great them in morning you get smile and welcome back. I jogged every second morning. First in more remote places ie Ministers bay, then ibto more live places. Second feels better.

All in all, as I said, I was keeping one eye open all the time, we didn't go much off "tourist roads" and beaches are WOW!

Would I go there having all the info upfront. Perhaps no. The main concern in our case was Zika virus and those damn mosquitos. Yes another issues in the whole Caribbeans

Patty Alexander said 2 years ago
Hello Jane Paner not everyone in Trinidad and Tobago deserve your criticism . There are good people there, and as for tricks , have you gone or dealt with most Nigerians Trinidadians is at the bottom of the list in tricks. And the literacy rate is 86%.

Marvin Roberts said 23 months ago
As a white person living in Trinidad, I can only say that the level of racism and anti white xenophobia in this country has risen a lot in recent years. I used to visit Trincity Mall a lot, to get groceries, buy various items etc. But I have recently had to stop going there, because of the overt racism of the taxi drivers. I choose not to buy a car in Trinidad, due to the criminal extortionist nature of the local insurance industry, and the exorbitant cost of maintenance. I therefore use the taxi services to get from point A to point B. Within recent times the Trincity Mall taxi drivers have begun openly insulting me, alleging that I stink, and that if I want them to transport me I will have to pay for the entire car.
These taxi drivers are all black, or Afro Trinidadian if you prefer to call them that.
As the only caucasian person using the taxi system, I admit I do stand out. But my experience should be a warning to anybody who thinks that black people are not racist, and are innocent little angels who can only be the victims of racism. Living in a majority black country as a white person is like wearing a sign on your back that says "Rob Me".

David De Verteuil said 22 months ago
I was born (Feb 41) and bred in Port of Spain, grew up in San Juan of mixed race
(a calaloo person). French descent on fathers side, South american Indian and europeen Spanish on mothers side (Venezuela) and had a great auntie of Afican descent who died before I was born. My uncles always spoke about Auntie Masie. Love Pan. Used to roam all the major pan yards in the build up to carnival. (Despers, Renegades, Trinidad All Stars, Starlift, Silverstars etc. etc.) In San Juan lived just 150 yards away from San Juan All Stars Pan Yard. After the riots in the seventies I could see the "writing on the wall" so I left and came to live in Australia in Nov 79. Have been back twice, last time was about 84.
However I find it very sad to hear of all the terrible things taking place there and my heart goes out to all the good law abiding folk of all different races that live there. Not that similar things dont happen in Auz but definitely not on that scale. Being just a small island certainly does make it a lot more concentrated.

Well all I can say is that it is up to the Authorities that be to try their best to bring the situation under control for the good of the country and all the good folk that make up its population.

For those good folk that believe in Bible prophecy just take into consideration the accounts of what Jesus said in Matthew Chapter 24. Luke Chap 21 and Mark chapter 13., as well as 2nd Peter Chapter 3.
These passages of scripture will help you to understand why these things are happening worldwide. It also gives hope for what is just ahead in terms of God intervening in human affairs and setting matters straight.
There are many dedicated men and women who are doing there best by alerting as many as possible about this. If you have not as yet just give the local Jehovah's Witnesses a hearing ear when they knock on your door.

Just remember, by loving your neighbor as yourself you immitate the Almighty God and his Son Jesus Christ.

Dave D.V.
jack junior said 22 months ago
most of the crimes in Trinidad have a migration background. (Venezuelan, Colombian, Dominican, etc.) Through them out quickly, or Trinidad & Tobago will get the same situation like Venezuela.

THROUGH THEM OUT. This people brought the crime to T&T.
Trini said 22 months ago
I live in Trinidad. I wish I didn't have to say this but Trinidad and Tobago is not safe at all. If you plan to visit then
I must warn you. The police service is corrupt. They do not solve any murders and many are linked to drug dealers.
I am thinking strongly about getting my kids out of here. Its True crime occurs all over the world but in Trinidad and Tobago you're at high risk. I am doing my duty to warn women especially who visit. HUMAN TRAFFICKING is real here as well. We're a transshipment point for drugs and people. The authorities do nothing to solve crime. If you have kids don't put them at risk. I speak from my heart.

Shelia Ramrattan said 22 months ago
i wold love to visit my family in TNT , but they keep saying don't come here ..Because the crime , is too much , and the police and government more scared than citizens .
Honestly i always go Home for XMAS .but this it not happening , because the crime is just to much .. and there are some gruesome ones as well .. I read the Trinidad Express everyday
and its always some crime of kidnapping or robbery and there must be 1 or 2 murders ..
Unless there is some sort of corporal punishment is place i don't see this country ever being a safe for anyone ... Trini xmas is the best ,it was the best , its now the worst ...

ROSEY said 22 months ago
TNT was the land of paradise where you can enjoy life
And time of any hour ..
Now that’s NOT the situation
Crime has grown numerously from 2006 until now
Yuh see the government not doing enough to stop crime ..
They rather make extreme budgets .Increase the cost of living ,
But refuses to anything about crime ..
They only studying how to make money to FULL their own pockets .
Mean they walking around with body guards ..
TNT is a dog eat dog world .everyone is hustlers
And talk about drug addicts and prostitution ..
All these missing women and children are abducted for this
Its shame that neither UNC OR PNM choose to bring the hang back
Maybe if they stared this like MR Panday crime would be very little
And WE Trini can be Trini’s again
BUT IN SHORT DO NOT COME TO THIS COUNTRY NO TIME SOON

Stephen Broadbridge said 21 months ago
The article and the comments are rediculous!
I have been running Caribbean Tours for 25 years without a single incident simply by avoiding a handful of bad areas.
Most of Trinidad have very little crime. The are dozens of rural farming and fishing communities where you will meet some of the friendliest people I have met in any of my travels.
My tours go to rural beaches and communities plus natural environments so we are alone yet still no incidents.
The malls are safe! An incident happened outside one over ten years ago.
People don't follow you from the airport. That was one group of thieves who were arrested 11 years ago.
This article is completely sensationalized and draws on crimes that may have happened over a 20 year period and make isolated incidents in some areas sound like regular occurrences.
Shame on you writer. File under fiction.

ashton said 21 months ago
Stephen- you are wrong. Travellers arriving at the Airport are exposed to grave danger. You are merely trying to protect your business at the expense of their safety.
Last year, I flew in with WestJet. I arrived shortly before 6 a.m. I have travelled a lot and have gotten used to a practice of walking through the plane casually looking at the passengers- mostly to see if I recognize anyone.
I had made arrangement for my son to meet me at the airport. While waiting, a man approached me and asked if I had a ride. I said yes. He said that he is a policeman and had just come from a training session in Canada and was also waiting for a ride to his home not too far from the airport. I asked why not take a taxi or call the police department or his house and get a ride. He said that it was too early to wake up anyone and that the taxi fare would be too high. He asked if I could just drop him off when my ride comes.
I looked at him. He was NOT anyone I recognize on the plane. He had no luggage beside him.
Luckily for me, my son didn't show up until after 9. The man kept asking me- when is you son coming.. After 8.30 or so, he disappeared. Lesson learnt. The man was setting me up to rob/kill/- both of us ( me and my son.)
Trinidad is now infiltrated by individuals emptied of any moral, intellectual and social values.
There are a lot good folks still around. They mostly belong to the older generation.

Larry said 21 months ago
I am an American citizen visiting my Trinidadian wife. It was an attempted kidnapping of my wife. I was robbed of a very expensive gold chain and money. I am African-American. The police were dressed in police uniforms. This happened on October 3, 2016.
I am very angry about corruption in the trinidadian Government. As a US veteran I hope the U.S. Ambassador will Complain to the Prime Minister to look into this crime. I as will try to bring legal action to Trinidad and
Tobago.

Caroline said 20 months ago
I sailed to Trinidad about 6 months ago and stayed for about 3 weeks. I am a 20 year old American with long blonde hair and blue eyes. I can definaitly say this country is beautiful and full of culture. While I personally never had anything happen to me, I would have never gone if I had know what the crime was like.

I had previously sailed to over 30 Caribbean islands, so I knew how to deal with aggressive local men perusing me. But I'd nEver experienced anything like Trinidad. Men slowing down cars and grabbing my wrists from there windows pulling me at them "just for a look" it was rediculous. There were so many places I just didn't feel safe. Even walking from my boat to the grocery store around the curve of the bay. All cociane traffected up to the Caribbean goes through here also.

It is a beautiful country. And if your smart I'm not saying you shouldn't go, just be careful. We also met super friendly locals that we hung out with the whole trip, who took us out for drinks and to the beach. Two of them were helicopter pilots in Trinidad and one owned the yacht next to ours on the dock. we (three white people) went clubbing one night by ourselves and we're fine on the strip.

One word of advise. When your standing waiting for the bus, do not get in the cars that stop and offer to give you a ride. You may see locals get in cars that stop at the bus stops. Don't do this as a tourist or white person. Know the bus scedual know the price know where it goes.

Jan said 20 months ago
I am polish citizen and I have been working in Trinidad and Tobago for the past two years in Oil and Gas industry.
When I am onshore I always wander around my apartment in Marabella, I take long walks both during the day and nights, I walk to San Fernando, I go by public transport to POS and often stay there till late hours, I always take rides with local drivers, nothing has happend to me so far. My work mates and local friends on every step advise me not go here and there, not to walk alone at night etc. Having read all previous comments I would say I am lucky.

I would never advise anybody against coming to TT. Only local food itself is worth coming here! Take normal precautions, use common sense and if you dont find yourself in bad time in bad place you should(which can happen anywhere in the world) you should be fine.

One more thing regarding the airport - I have travelled plenty times to Piarco Airport both during day and late night hours. Most of the times there are company's drivers to pick me up, but few times I travelled with local transport all the way to Marabella in the South and I never experienced anything suspicious within the airport.

R.Kalip. said 20 months ago
As a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago I would not advise any tourist to visit Trinidad & Tobago.
Crime is out of control, with a detection rate of below 3% and the authorities seems clueless about
crime detection and convictions.
Fed-up Trini said 19 months ago
Whoever thinks Trinidad and Tobago is a safe place to live is delusional! I grew up in port of Spain and I am scared! I am east Indian and experiencd racism my whole life here. The crime is no longer concentrated in one area because the criminals are spread out around the country through hdc. Corruption, scandal, human trafficking, drugs, ammunition, guns, bribery, cons, racism, hognorance, etc. all live here. Terrible place to live and visit.

ann marie said 19 months ago
i have two one bedroom studio apartments for rent .located in the upper middle class neighbourhood of union hall gardens.closd to palmiste park.quiet but walking distance to all shopping etc.taxis in front house.you can also park on property.long term or short renters.contact annmarie.degannes@gmail.com. about trinidad--- beautiful and very relaxed.upto date with eveything and lots of things to do.the crime situation has increased but this has happened all over the world.mostly you have to go to relatively safe places and not known hot crime areas.follow standard safety rules and guidelines .trinidad is so beautiful! if you are coming to work here or for vacation then my lodgings will be perfect.

Clarence said 19 months ago
If you value your life stay away from visiting Trinidad. There is no telling when you would become a victim. I recently got mug by a group of teenagers in POS. I was beaten and nobody came to my rescue for fear for their safety.

Clint said 18 months ago
My wife and I just got back from Trinidad/ Tobago first week of February. What was supposed to be a 6 week vacation turned into an 8 day experience that I would wish on no one. We spent the first evening at the Hyant, a very reputable hotel with everything you would expect from a top hotel. The first comment we received from some of the staff were to not go walking because it's not safe. We were informed to remove all jewelry and anything of value. We were close to the botanical gardens so wanted to check it out. Again we were told that even though it was the middle of the day that it wouldn't be safe as we would be targeted as we were white people. Several people told us to go to tobago asap it was more directed to tourists and would be safer. We followed the advice but met with the same issues on the island. Again told that being white made us easy targets. It took a 22 hour day and 4 planes later to get back to Canada but never regretted the decision to leave Trinidad tobago. Just an added note, we have been to places like China, South Korea, Italy, England, Greece and a few other countries and never ever felt as unsafe as we did in trinidad. Save your money and stay away from Trinidad/tobago. This is only my opinion but even the beaches are not safe.

Samuel brown said 18 months ago
Let us face it--Trinidad and Tobago appears to be the most racist and dangerous countries on planet earth. The murder statstics reveal that the countries are inhabited by savages and it appears to observers that the true facts are hidden by the present government. Imagine that the guy called the minister of defense would lie about the crime rate and declare that carnival 2017 was crime free. Luckily, someone told him that he is a satanic liar. It is clear that satanic rituals are still practiced in these islands --the reflections of satanic worship are reflected in the faces and lifestyles of.these savages. The present government is like a pack of hungry jackals ready to kill and maim the innocent. Stay away from these islands. The people are no lon\ger wanted even in other parts of the Caribbean--they are so nasty and racist that they mock the East Indian religion and people and call it carnival.

Samuel brown said 18 months ago
Let us face it--Trinidad and Tobago appears to be the most racist and dangerous countries on planet earth. The murder statstics reveal that the countries are inhabited by savages and it appears to observers that the true facts are hidden by the present government. Imagine that the guy called the minister of defense would lie about the crime rate and declare that carnival 2017 was crime free. Luckily, someone told him that he is a satanic liar. It is clear that satanic rituals are still practiced in these islands --the reflections of satanic worship are reflected in the faces and lifestyles of.these savages. The present government is like a pack of hungry jackals ready to kill and maim the innocent. Stay away from these islands. The people are no lon\ger wanted even in other parts of the Caribbean--they are so nasty and racist that they mock the East Indian religion and people and call it carnival.

Debby Martin said 16 months ago
I was thinking about vacationing in Trinidad but NO MORE! I'm so glad that I came across this website! Thank all of you for the postings and warnings. I'm going to Jamaica!!!

cher said 15 months ago
Samuel Brown is correct in the depiction of Trinidad and Tobago--all the nice words stated by those delusional people trying to paint a pretty picture are as satanic and savage as the criminals themselves. When a non-East Indian can don the garments that are meant for religious purposes, periods of prayer and fasting and foolishly deem it Carnival,then T&T is now a modern version of morons. I am waiting to see if that masquerader will don the garments of the Shouter Baptists, Shango/Orisha --garments that I also equally respect because I grew up amongst them.

To me, it is the most racist place in the world--some people do not even know why they're racist. Evidently, most people are afraid of the negro/black/African people while the 'victims' are finding ways to deal with them. Sociology will teach you that when an ethnic group "feels inferior" that group could resort to hatred and savagery.
I await to see the world ban of travelers from Trinidad and Tobago--the golf is a joke! Cervantes was probably thinking about such behaviour when he as writing 'Don Quijote.' What am I saying? 98 percent of the folks in T&T do not have the fainest idea about this great writer and his message through his works.
PRAY T&T--your end is nigh.

ashton said 14 months ago
I was born, educated and worked in Trinidad until I was 19. I left Trinidad in 1973 and has been back every year ( sometime twice in 1 year). However, over the past 4 years, I have not been 'home.' While over the years I saw a gradual change in the behaviours of the citizens and their disdain for accepting, tolerance, concern and general warmness, I was too blind to see how fast the country's social, health, legal/judicial, medical, educational and economic fabrics were being unravelled.
I have many relatives who still live on the island and I honestly want to visit them again.
I am now very scared. My last visit was not good as I was almost held up by a person impersonating a detective at the Airport as I awaiting my ride. I was very fortunate that my ride was very late and I stayed within the walls of the airport.
Unless you know someone you can trust in visiting the island- I would say- NO- don't go.

Rachel said 14 months ago
All these comments about don't visit Trinidad that's fine by me but if you have family living there what you gonna do.I'm not afraid of visiting anywhere I was born there and even if I'm not living there I visit all the time and never had a problem people are just racist anywhere you go USA,Canada,and England is not any better than Trinidad there are rude and obnoxious people every where and crime rate is high everywhere so as I say don't visit if you don't want too and then complain about being white because it have all ethnicity people living there.

Zen said 13 months ago
Well, I am a 29 year old White Canadian man. And I have heard so much negativity around T&T, and sure it's true but these crimes are trini on trini usually. The odd time some demon takes it out on the tourists. Anger stems from Fear. I have made about 30 great friends in trinidad, and these are the type of people I was told would kill me hahaha. They live in the "hoods" of trinidad for the most part and are great friends and make music together. Advice for anyone travelling to/moving to/living in trinidad, whether local or not. Be careful who you look at and talk to. Stay away from drugs, dont get too drunk at clubs, don 't carry too much money on you and certainly do NOT run your mouth. Avoid anywhere on the island besides resorts after 10pm and before 7am unless you really have to, then i suggest having a machete or better yet, a gun on you just in case. Once locals see that you arent a tourist, they will slowly respect you. Before visiting Trinidad, go on facebook and find a local who is nice and chat em up, befriend them than after some time let them know you want to move there. See what they say, and if they say they will watch over you, trust them. If you are a single female though, trust no one cept local females. just a fair warning. Also knowing self defense is a bonus. As I said, I have never had issues, but I can also rap very well and that gets respect more times than not

Colleen said 11 months ago
Samuel Brown and Cher two commenters that are truly racist and nasty at the core. Their comments are not fueled by concern but pure unadulterated racism. Please stay where you are and do not travel, as a matter of fact you both sound like you never been outside of whatever godforsaken, unfortunate country you call home. You are close minded and disgusting.

Elise with Grace said 11 months ago
To expect to go any random place in the world and expect to feel safe is a selfish, self-centered and egotistical position. The world has problems, problems you don't understand, problems you should respect and instead, appreciate the culture for what is being delivered in that time and place.

Move without expectation and see the situation for what it is - the beauty and the ugly. There is always both - your moral compass and attitude will dictate which you experience.

Stay home Becky Sue...white supremacy doesn't grip the world as it once did. I will take the risk of TnT just to avoid my son being shot by the police because he is black - nothing trumps that!!

Åsa said 11 months ago
Hi

Are high crime true for Trinidad and Tobago both? We would like to travel to Tobago with no intention to visit Trinidad. Is Tobago safe to bring a 4 Year old child?

Jonathan said 11 months ago
Trinidad & Tobago isn't for the faint-hearted. Firstly, if you are a pet lover you will have a hard time dealing with the way animals are treated here: lots of lost, scared feral dogs in the streets, regularly being run over by the local "maxi taxis". There is always a decent number of cadavers on the bus roads... they stay on the roads to rot; and they rot quickly and badly, given the temperatures down here. Not a pretty sight... Often, dogs being kept as pets aren't being treated the right way either: they are seen as tools to keep would-be robbers at bay, not as family companions. And you can forget about finding a decent veterinary here... do not being your own pet either, or Customs will ask you to pay some VAT tax on it as you enter the country!
As far as administration goes, TnT is Soviet Union-like: whether it is to solve an immigration issue or a fiscal one, you will have to stay in a waiting line for several hours (sometimes close to an entire day) before you have a chance to have access to an arrogant civil servant who will make you understand that you are not welcome here.
Life is extremely expensive, you have to pay here twice what you'd be charged in the U.S., Canada or Europe for the same item (example: bottle of sparkling water = more than US$3.00). Most food items are coming from the U.S., so you can imagine that their price, once the various taxes are added, just goes through the roof.
People drive like nuts, blowing their car's horn as a way of life. The streets, during the day, are more noisy than in Manhattan, especially once you factor in all the police and SWAT cars passing by with their sirens blasting. Little consideration is given to pedestrians, even when you cross at the crossings...
As far as crime goes, I would advise against walking outside past 6:00pm (i.e., in the dark). I work on a campus until 8:00pm and I have to get a police escort to go home, ...even though I just live 10mns away from campus.
Let's not forget about the Customs officials, most likely the worst I ever had to deal with - and I have lived in quite a few countries before coming to TnT, including developing countries like Congo. The last time I ordered something online and had it shipped to TnT, the item I had ordered was sliced open with a cutter by a customs officer, with no regard for its value. This is vandalism, there is no other words for it.
Last but not least, here you have to live behind bars: as the police is unable to lock up the criminals, the population is left with no other choice than locking themselves behind bars - I am talking about the steel bars you find on all the houses: on the doors, on the windows... if you are a little claustrophobic, you may have a hard time adjusting to this state of affair.
All in all, this is a place to avoid. Yes, some locals are friendly, and feel heart-broken when visitors cannot find anything positive to say about their country; but the fact is that TnT is a developing country, with a high crime rate, a certain degree of allergy for white folks, an arrogance problem, and one of the worst administrations in the world.
Oh, have I mentioned the open sewers, and the garbage piling up in the middle of the streets, even in "decent" places like St. Augustine or Tunapuna, and smelling like rotten carcasses, given the heat and humidity? I guess it will be for another time, if another time there is: I am done with this place and planning on leaving soon, and forever.

SaveTnT said 10 months ago
I was born in Trinidad lived there till I was 21 years old and only been back there in 2010, 2012 and 2015 when my aunt passed away. As for crime against tourist its a real problem and for those that say crime is everywhere while this is true Trinidad crime rate is extremely high given the population. before it was gang sheit now its petty crimes because guys want sheit the easy way rather than working resulting in senseless killings. For e.g. Toronto is the population is 6.4 million and only had 26 homicides so far for 2017 compared to 390 in Trinidad. I can walk around any part of Canada with as much jewelry as I please and not fear being robbed or worst killed for my sheit I worked hard for. I love Trinidad but when local family tell you to stay away there's a serious problem. I had a friend that was robbed in the parking lot of Hyatt Regency POS. Luckily he wasn't seriously injured seriously and the dumb criminal got his wallet with nothing in it but cancelled cards. I've travelled all over the world including Egypt and Turkey and felt a lot safer than when I travel to my home country. Trinidad is beautiful and its sucks that others won't be able to explore its beauty because of the crime situation that's never gonna get dealt with because of all the corruption in this country. Budget is more important for the government of this country than crime. And for a country of its size too many murders go unsolved. Canada as a whole the population is 36 million and when a crime occurs you will get found and prosecuted for it even if its 3 months later. Trinidad population as of 2017 is 1.4mil and most crimes go unsolved in this tiny island. WTF!!!

SaveTnT said 10 months ago
And to the persons saying they're going to Jamaica its no different. there crime rate is higher than Trinidad for 2017 and they have violent crimes just like Trinidad against tourist. You also stand a chance of drugs being found in your luggage when you get back to your home country because smugglers go to extremes to get there products distributed. Don't make it a political thing but facts. The only difference is the government in Jamaica will spare no expense trying to keep tourist areas safe because tourism is one of there biggest profit on that island other than remittance.

JACK said 9 months ago
I notice most of the defenders of TnT do not actually REFUTE any of the valid comments about the horrific crime rates there, but simply attack those who tell the truth about it as "racists" and "white supremacists." They are the same pious, sanctimonious, name-calling, bleeding-heart Liberals who are apologists for Black crime all over the world. They refuse to accept reality, and insist the Emperor's New Clothes are very fashionable.

SegunSavingTnT said 8 months ago
Took my time to read through all the comments and one thing I discovered is that TnT needs Jesus.
Jesus is the answer for the world today,,apart from Him there's NO answer to the crime rate, rape,racism and corruption in TnT.
By God's grace we are racing consistent prayer of revival for TnT.
Salvation is coming to TnT, only the preaching of the gospel- Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God who took our place and became the Son of man, so that we, sons of men ( including TnT's) may become the sons of God through Him- that can change and transform the sinful, wicked nature in man. JESUS IS COMING TO TRININAD AND TOBAGO, Watch Out!

Harry said 8 months ago
The government needs to invest in their people so they can have meaningful jobs that are in demand. Job creation is the way to avoid people from getting lazy and reverting to unlawful means of attaining purchasing power. Trinidad is an oil rich nation and this money has to be shared with the i.4 million people who live here which would create a somewhat even playing field. The tourism sector needs to be strengthened with upgrades to beaches with increased security and proper hospitality training from world class schools. Finally if the struggling and incompetent citizens in the Police force cannot protect and serve then Elite Law Enforcement Professionals from the north should be employed to train and lead the force. Going forward all new recruits in the police force should have a degree in criminology or similar. Because of the bad bad bad situation at this time the dormant army should be put into action with some heavy machinery to create some degree of hope and comfort to all. What would you do when they come for you BAD BOYS BAD BOYS AND GIRLS.

Morris said 7 months ago
Trinidad and Tobago is a dangerous place. It has evil and darkness below all the carnival and tricks and clowns. It has gangsters, in the form of business owners. Anyone that chooses to live there is small minded, corrupt, getting a lot of money from bridging their accountants not to pay vat, and importing goods illegally into the country. Anyone that really wants to live here is not a nice person. Rudeness is rampant it's a part of their culture is to be rude. I couldn't believe the things people would say to me. I stayed there for 3 years due to having to settle an inheritance I received. I was paying respects to my grandparents wishes. I tried to mix and fit in and just couldn't. I am Indian, born in Trinidad however left as a baby. I just don't look like the normal Indian there. The people there are really backwards, rude, and pure evil. Like I said anyone that really likes it and wants to stay is also rude and evil or just dumb and scared.

Shelly said 7 months ago
Honestly, you guys maybe overreacting. I came across this site looking for Information for a friend and it is appalling. 1) I live here in Trinidad, yes the crime is bad in terms of gang relations and drugs. The majority of the time it is fine.
Honestly, as some Trini's would say, white people come here and trust the little black boys :/ like it reminds them of something. Serious though, you guys need to stop that. That is a serious security issue.
2) Who has been robbed by the PitchLake.. Like who?? :/ The pitch lake is part of South Trinidad, (most crime here is domestic (abuse, family matters) maybe you guys should stay out of north..seeing as that is the "hot" area
.. Tourists confuse me..you come to Trinidad and stay port of Spain...did u come to Trinidad to watch the port :/... If you are touring the island then you need to branch out.. Where in north are you getting a good roti? Some real local food? A little doubles or cascadu? Smh go to a beach, see local flora and fauna? Etc etc Read the papers..crime is 95% north Trinidad
...3) we have Uber.. Use it! 4) keep your US on you, unless u really don't need to because the banks won't change your money back to US when you are ready to return. 5) Trinidad by and large sleeps fr around 10 pm.. Stop walking around port of Spain that hour please???? If locals aren't doing it.. Hint hint ;) 6) honestly I wished the rest of the Caribbean hated us..then maybe they would stop migrating to Trinidad... And they are the main fore runners for crime.

7) if you need more advice you can email me at centraltrini098@gmail.com

Mr. Pootis said 7 months ago
Poot poot

G.A.Marques said 7 months ago
My advice is to stay clear of Trinidad. This island is a hellhole or a den of iniquity. The ordinary citizens are living in fear of their lives because of the high daily and annual murder rates. There is little true justice on this island the police offer very little protection to the ordinary citizens.The nation is corrupt to its core and this is noticeable by how many here in positions of authority are regularly caught in the criminal act of corruption.The good name of this once peaceful paradise is now badly tarnished by the presence of a worldwide renowned crook wanted by the FBI for alleged corruption whilst in the employment of FIFA . This individual is also now on the wanted Interpol list. The chances of any tourist being robbed or assaulted whilst visting this island is very high in deed despite what anyone may say .Keep away.

ricardo said 7 months ago
do a check on trinidad express website, we have over 60 something murders in 5 weeks, save yourself the dramas, dont come to this hell! most of us are trying to get out lol.

Santiago said 6 months ago
Smh. I am from BK Ny and my wife is from POS Trinidad Levantille Jon Jon Picton Road a so called bad area. I go to Trinidad for one month every year and have never been robbed or swindled. Idk wtf you people are talking about. Yes crime is everywhere. America is the crime capitol of the world with the most gun violence ( the make guns here). I have never seen a gun or heard a gun shot while I was in Trinidad. Yes I know theres crime and like someone said in an earlier post crime is everywhere and there are certain precautions you must take. Maybe its the NYC in me but I am always on point always plus I have a high street smart IQ lol. Trinidad is a paradise for me and I will be living in both NYC and Trinidad in the future. I have the time of my life in Trinidad.

Dave said 6 months ago
I am half Trini and have visited many times. I really must be honest and say that it is not a safe place. Every time I have been I have heard horror stories. I witnessed some pretty bad events as well. If you have to be in Trinidad, be very careful and be aware of your surroundings. Otherwise, don't visit, at least not now.

Teddy said 4 months ago
This article is a great way to scare away any tourists who want to come to Trinidad. Of course if you put together a collection of crimes that have happened in a country, things will seem horrid. If you want to come to Trinidad or Tobago (Tobago is more tourist oriented), COME RIGHT AHEAD! Be careful as you would in any other place and know where you're going. Still a great place to visit. :)

Samantha L. said 2 months ago
Trinidad's island is a beautiful one, but the crime really does ruin its beauty. Staying under 3 months is not a good, accurate gauge at how the island really is. As someone who lives here for onwards of 23 years, I have had to deal with everyday aggressive cat calling, constant racism to me and to others and massive homophobia. There is always a race battle between the Afro-Trinis and Indi-Trinis. They hide the racism usually, but it is there. It shows up publicly around election time. Police cant solve murders and only provide speeding tickets and tow illegally parked vehicles, as they get money back into their pockets/government by doing this. Most murders go unsolved. So far, its 248 murders for 2018 and a lot of people spend time worrying if they will reach home safetly. They refuse to provide LGBTQ+ rights and actually met to prohibit them from gaining equal rights.

Tobago is a much safer place. It is tourist centric and is much calmer for vacationing, but there is alot of hustlers who target white persons, since they look like tourists more (as we do not have much whites in trinidad).

The island has such great potential but citizens are being raised without morals and are thus committing crimes.

My advice, the island, itself, is great. Great food, great landscape, flora. If you are coming, know the risks and have guides, travel in groups and be aware it is a bit risky. But dont come in expecting a safe place to paradise and explore. Grenada is a safer bet.

mpule11 said 2 months ago
I would always encourage persons to visit my country. Crime is mainly gang, drugs related. I'm 19 years of age! Born and raised trini and I love meeting and talking to foreigners!.. Met a couple of them for carnival! We are friendly! and once you meet the right ones they will guide you! Please dont let this article and the comments discourage you. Take it from a true PATRIOT! I love my country..our vibe.. our culture! I also love the caribbean as a whole. Crime or no crime. Ps-I am a huge coward, and knowing the crime situation in trinidad.. i travel late at night ( avoiding areas of pos.. and suspicious drivers and so on) Its all about common sense and avoidance!!

frank hosein said 7 weeks ago
I left tnt when it was a joy to live in Trinidad people used to leave their doors open I wish to back home and live but keep hearing all about the crime is keeping me away I have been in the USA for the past 50 years so hard to understand beside all my friends are old or pass away I am 71 I will love to st.marys village but who is left

peggy lovell said 5 weeks ago
Hi Frank I was reading the blogs, I also grew up in trinidad never been to st mary's village but it's heartbreaking to read all this there are glimmers of hope but mostly daunting, I would love to go back after retiring but concerned about the fear that spreading it maybe bad but I think living amongst people who live in so much fear is worst.

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safe ... high-crime

eurotuner
12 pounds of Boost

Re: Crime - How THEY see us.!

Postby eurotuner » September 15th, 2018, 4:22 pm

download.jpeg
download.jpeg (16.06 KiB) Viewed 3630 times

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » September 15th, 2018, 4:49 pm

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 15th, 2018, 5:00 pm

LOL. Yes, sometimes you have to read.

The comments are sobering.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » September 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Tldr.

But lemme summarize it for the browsing tourist..DONT COME TRINIDAD IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE!

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » September 15th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Wasnt all this posted before.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » September 15th, 2018, 6:28 pm

At least we aren't being randomly shot at school,church,movies,restaurant,concerts( not even dancehall!!),in traffic,workplace,the mall,traffic stop etc.

As bad as it is,I'll take my chances navigating T&T's crime,you never know where you gonna end up dead or who's gonna be your killer in the States,could be a cop,a doctor,any number of University graduates,the bus driver,millionaire property owners,a judge,fellow student,even the nanny or the neighbor's A student son in suburbia..

In T&T you just have to practice basic precautions as you would anywhere else and try to avoid a couple muffler bearings in certain areas and you should be ok...

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » September 15th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Even factoring in the rare mass shootings and police violence, TnT's murder rate is much higher than the USA

Just remember that TnT police shoot and kill a man almost once to twice a week. You might hear about the same frequency in the US, but remember the difference in our population sizes.

Trinidad not safe

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » September 15th, 2018, 6:50 pm

K

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » September 15th, 2018, 7:25 pm

VII yuh that dotish?

You fell for the hype didn't you. Of course americans like to exaggerate the impact of the incidents.

In trinidad we're used to it because we have more, we;re desensitized.

Also there is a HUGE difference in crime per population size. Do some basic maths and stop believing everything you see on the news. It's all sensationalism now.

"I rather get my car stolen in the mall and robbed for a gold chain on the corner than to experience all the terrorism they have in the bush in Alabama"-VII probably

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 15th, 2018, 7:28 pm

imagine a man spend he Saturday doing all this "research."

WarrLordd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby WarrLordd » September 15th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Growley paid you to create this bs or wha. Just like it would fall on deaf ears on the local I doubt outsiders are retarded. Notice other countries would earn better revenue cause crime is lower

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Re: Crime - How FOREIGNERS see T&T!

Postby Ben_spanna » September 16th, 2018, 7:24 pm

You’d have to be a really stupid Kent to wanna visit Trinidad .......... there are so many islands where people are friendly, you can walk anywhere safely, and enjoy clear blue waters on the beach rather our nasty looking green wata.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » September 16th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Even the hyatt in POS overlooking a mc dump .....and also the beetham landfill.

Such a wonderful sight to behold for tourists.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 16th, 2018, 11:36 pm

Only when it reach home ya does feel it.

I have been running Caribbean Tours for 25 years without a single incident simply by avoiding a handful of bad areas.
Most of Trinidad have very little crime. The are dozens of rural farming and fishing communities where you will meet some of the friendliest people I have met in any of my travels.
My tours go to rural beaches and communities plus natural environments so we are alone yet still no incidents.
People don't follow you from the airport. That was one group of thieves who were arrested 11 years ago.
This article is completely sensationalized and draws on crimes that may have happened over a 20 year period and make isolated incidents in some areas sound like regular occurrences.

http://www.looptt.com/content/stephen-b ... despicable

Among the persons who suffered inconvenience by today’s set backs was Stephen Broadbridge, who was there awaiting the autopsy results for his mother, 79-year-old Dr Claire Broadbridge, who had been killed on Saturday evening at her St Ann's home.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 16th, 2018, 11:38 pm

I'm guessing he meant to say the kidnappers were dressed in Police uniforms. Interesting considering what we now know about the Polliinais kidnapping.

Larry said 21 months ago
I am an American citizen visiting my Trinidadian wife. It was an attempted kidnapping of my wife. I was robbed of a very expensive gold chain and money. I am African-American. The police were dressed in police uniforms. This happened on October 3, 2016.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » September 17th, 2018, 6:55 am

The Broadbridge name did sound familiar

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 17th, 2018, 8:04 am

Ouch

my sister runs an airbnb apt
americans coming to stay do have a preconceived notion that it is unsafe here.

Redress10 wrote:Only when it reach home ya does feel it.

http://www.looptt.com/content/stephen-b ... despicable

Among the persons who suffered inconvenience by today’s set backs was Stephen Broadbridge, who was there awaiting the autopsy results for his mother, 79-year-old Dr Claire Broadbridge, who had been killed on Saturday evening at her St Ann's home.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 17th, 2018, 8:38 am

pugboy wrote:americans coming to stay do have a preconceived notion that it is unsafe here.

Courtesy of the US State Department:

Exercise increased caution in Trinidad and Tobago due to crime and terrorism. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory. 

Do not travel to Laventille, Beetham, Sea Lots, Cocorite, and the interior of Queen's Park Savannah in Port of Spain due to crime.  

Port of Spain

Violence and shootings occur regularly in some areas of Port of Spain.  U.S. government personnel are prohibited from travelling to the following areas:  Laventille, Beetham, Sea Lots, Cocorite, and the interior of Queens’ Park Savannah.  After dark, U.S. government personnel are prohibited from travelling to downtown Port of Spain, Fort George overlook, and all beaches. 

Violent crime, such as murder, robbery, assault, sexual assault, home invasion, and kidnapping, is common. 

Gang activity, such as narcotics trafficking, is common.  A significant portion of violent crime is gang-related.

Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Trinidad and Tobago:

Use caution when walking or driving at night.

Be aware of your surroundings.

Do not display overt signs of wealth, such as expensive watches or jewelry.

Be extra vigilant when visiting ATMs. 

Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.

Follow the instructions of local authorities.

Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.

Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.

Review the Crime and Safety Report for Trinidad and Tobago.

U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations.

Review the Traveler’s Checklist.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/TrinidadandTobago.html
Last edited by adnj on September 17th, 2018, 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 17th, 2018, 8:42 am

that's like a South Africa kind of advisory yes.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 17th, 2018, 9:00 am

maj. tom wrote:that's like a South Africa kind of advisory yes.
Much the same except for the drought warning in S Africa.
Last edited by adnj on September 17th, 2018, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » September 17th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Yes certain parts of T&T are dangerous. Most people have know for decades that downtown POS, Laventy, Sealots, Cororite, the Beetham, some beaches and the interior of the Savannah are not safe...esp after dark.

Why iz thiz news?

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » September 17th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Now reading this very old article?

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » September 17th, 2018, 4:48 pm

It’s bluefete, what do you expect?

Advertisement