TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
aaron17
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 802
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby aaron17 » October 15th, 2018, 6:27 am

I tested it in both 'built up areas'… one there were no houses, just grass and sky(1) ; the other where there were actual buildings(2). The roads were long and winding. Both used the same speed.

What I found out was (2) felt as if you were making actual progress in driving since the perception of buildings are closer to the road. You can feel the speed.

In (1) , I felt the opposite. No sense of speed, feeling that you are going slow. That is why people speed here to go faster.

Any thoughts of this?

Advertisement
User avatar
MaxPower
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2027
Joined: October 31st, 2010, 2:37 pm

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby MaxPower » October 15th, 2018, 6:35 am

No thoughts on it bro

User avatar
ismithx
punchin NOS
Posts: 4080
Joined: August 12th, 2010, 11:46 am
Location: riding till the wheels fall off

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby ismithx » October 15th, 2018, 7:25 am

Maybe it is slow because it is? Considering I can get up to 40km/h on a mountain bicycle using legpower alone

User avatar
ProtonPowder
Chronic TriniTuner
Posts: 556
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 1:15 pm

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby ProtonPowder » October 15th, 2018, 7:47 am

It would explain why 50 does feel slow on the M1, M2 and Daisey Road

User avatar
maj. tom
punchin NOS
Posts: 3868
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: Zoo Station

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby maj. tom » October 15th, 2018, 8:25 am

Very good OP, good to see that you have a scientist's mind. Perception of speed involves at least 3 systems in your brain: visual fields (static points visual references), proprioception (feel and touch - airspeed), and the vestibular system (inner ear - acceleration).

Try different experiments to allow you to experience each of these systems individually, and you will begin to appreciate just how complex a mammal's brain is and that it is constantly doing this at all times, and why it actually uses a tremendous amount of energy all the time.

antlind
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 984
Joined: May 8th, 2007, 2:17 pm

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby antlind » October 15th, 2018, 9:03 am

Is OP Kanye?

User avatar
aaron17
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 802
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby aaron17 » October 15th, 2018, 9:47 am


redmanjp
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6009
Joined: September 22nd, 2009, 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby redmanjp » October 15th, 2018, 12:00 pm

what are the speeds in 'built up' areas in the US?

User avatar
tardissubie
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 182
Joined: September 22nd, 2009, 7:59 pm
Location: Trincity

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby tardissubie » October 15th, 2018, 12:14 pm

antlind wrote:Is OP Kanye?
Possibly Jaden Smith

User avatar
Les Bain
30 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2634
Joined: May 17th, 2012, 9:46 pm
Location: Cruising for chicks

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby Les Bain » October 15th, 2018, 2:04 pm

ismithx wrote:Maybe it is slow because it is? Considering I can get up to 40km/h on a mountain bicycle using legpower alone


You must have some real nice legs.

User avatar
cornfused
12 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2288
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 9:09 am
Location: utilizing FIFA rules in small goal

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby cornfused » October 16th, 2018, 5:32 am

40/50kmph is slow, many average cyclists ride in the 25kmph to 30kmph zone, a reasonably fit cyclist can reach 40kmph on a flat surface. A horse, not a racehorse gallops at 40-48kmph.

Rivulet Road, Sangre Grande bypass road, M1, M2, Southern main road and others need to be revised urgently

User avatar
Soul Collector
Riding on 17's
Posts: 1496
Joined: July 16th, 2009, 1:42 am

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby Soul Collector » October 16th, 2018, 8:57 am

Since speed limit went up to the 100km, police just like to wait in the 50km zones to ambush people. Don't ever see them on the highway again. Ever.

And 50km is facking ridiculous. Especially on some roads I saw that limit on.

User avatar
Ryan123
Street 2NR
Posts: 44
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 3:00 pm
Location: Central

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby Ryan123 » October 16th, 2018, 9:46 am

The limit on main roads should be 65-70km/h they just left it @ the 50km/h to harass motorists.

User avatar
sMASH
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10767
Joined: January 11th, 2005, 4:30 am

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby sMASH » October 16th, 2018, 10:05 am

that perception may be true.

but does the road design influence the safe speed one can drive? such as bends, inclines, width, etc?

User avatar
foots
Street 2NR
Posts: 83
Joined: November 24th, 2004, 8:13 pm
Location: Chaguanas

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby foots » October 16th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Ryan123 wrote:The limit on main roads should be 65-70km/h they just left it @ the 50km/h to harass motorists.


I don't think it is purely to harass motorists. The speed limit has to be lower in densely populated areas. Would you prefer to have to cross a road with a speed limit of 70km/h? Or would it be easier/safer to cross with a limit of 50km/h?

If speed limits are increased on all the main roads, it becomes much harder and much more dangerous to get around unless you are in a car. This in turn means that everyone is forced to drive everywhere, even for short, walkable/rideable distances. If everyone is forced to drive everywhere, we end up with always having too many cars on the road, and terrible traffic jams all the time.

As it is now in parts of Trinidad, even if u going one mile down the road, you may be risking your life by deciding to walk or ride. So we drive instead for safety reasons and sit in bumper to bumper traffic at every bottleneck. We walk less and less, drive more and more (often in congested traffic)....and our rates of diabetes, hypertension and obesity keep climbing as a result.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/11/16/the-people-left-behind-by-car-centric-planning

User avatar
Ryan123
Street 2NR
Posts: 44
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 3:00 pm
Location: Central

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby Ryan123 » October 18th, 2018, 8:51 am

foots wrote:
Ryan123 wrote:The limit on main roads should be 65-70km/h they just left it @ the 50km/h to harass motorists.


I don't think it is purely to harass motorists. The speed limit has to be lower in densely populated areas. Would you prefer to have to cross a road with a speed limit of 70km/h? Or would it be easier/safer to cross with a limit of 50km/h?

If speed limits are increased on all the main roads, it becomes much harder and much more dangerous to get around unless you are in a car. This in turn means that everyone is forced to drive everywhere, even for short, walkable/rideable distances. If everyone is forced to drive everywhere, we end up with always having too many cars on the road, and terrible traffic jams all the time.

As it is now in parts of Trinidad, even if u going one mile down the road, you may be risking your life by deciding to walk or ride. So we drive instead for safety reasons and sit in bumper to bumper traffic at every bottleneck. We walk less and less, drive more and more (often in congested traffic)....and our rates of diabetes, hypertension and obesity keep climbing as a result.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/11/16/the-people-left-behind-by-car-centric-planning


Actually, I live on a straight stretch of the main road where cars usually travel around 60km/h and PH vehicles are probably around 80km/h it is pretty easy to cross the road once you pay attention, only had one incident where someone got knocked down (they are fine by the way) in the 20 something years I have lived there, and when I say 65-70 65kph could be in a built up areas and 70kph could be in areas like Caroni's dual carriageway also it is a limit i.e the maximum speed that can be driven, so there is always the option to drive a little slower. And yes the speed limits are most welcomed but it is only a money-making tool that the government abuses.

Defiant
Riding on 13's
Posts: 3
Joined: September 7th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby Defiant » October 18th, 2018, 3:03 pm

The limits are there for safety of everyone, respect them and all is well. You should try stopping from 50KPH to zero suddenly and then put it in perspective as to why there are limits, but you can drive faster pay your tickets and then with the demerit system you can travel :wink: .

supernedd
Trinituner Peong
Posts: 494
Joined: April 14th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby supernedd » October 19th, 2018, 2:01 am

doh worry them trinis designed potholes does slow us down

User avatar
aaron17
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 802
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Now I know why 50Km/h seems slow.

Postby aaron17 » October 19th, 2018, 4:33 am

Defiant wrote:The limits are there for safety of everyone, respect them and all is well. You should try stopping from 50KPH to zero suddenly and then put it in perspective as to why there are limits, but you can drive faster pay your tickets and then with the demerit system you can travel :wink: .
I tried this test before with the traffic light ....it was easy to stop on a red with the 50 ..I think the light accounts for the speed (who obeying the numbers) of the cars , stopping distance and so on. If you are going faster , you have a greater chance breaking the lights and causing accidents. I agree to certain lengths can be labelled as more than 60/65 and when you are coming to a light you can label that as 50 instead of labelling the entire road as one number alone. I think US does different numbers. I know trini would say that is too much work to implement...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apole69, Duane 3NE 2NR, Rovin's Audio, shake d livin wake d dead, VexXx Dogg and 71 guests