TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Gas not lasting as long since fuel raised?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Gas not lasting as long since fuel raised?

Postby skylinechild » October 18th, 2018, 7:13 pm

actually knew about filling up early in the morning.... and not to fill up when there is an offloading truck in bay -
knew about evaporation too..

didnt know there was an internal floating roof in the fuel storage silo underground...

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 18th, 2018, 8:19 pm

SMc wrote:I avoid rush hour(s) whenever possible and that helps a lot.

^^Best advice that I have seen here.

Avoid heavy traffic, hard acceleration and hard braking.

The easiest way to immediately increase your fuel economy is to properly inflate your tires.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » October 19th, 2018, 1:48 am

MG Man wrote:op when condom price go up, yuh piggy does get shorter?
hahahahhaha

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » October 19th, 2018, 1:50 am

ftitan wrote:I noticed that since the last budget with the NP diesel near duncan village/cross crossing.
I watch the needle...and the needle would've barely budged for long distances but now I can lose close to a quarter tank a day for the same drive..on diesel eh
But if I fill up elsewhere I get better mileage..I dunno why but that's what I noticed for a while.
all u dont get it twisted with them gas stations n their scams. u know trinidad is d land of tricks .. i won't doubt if it have a scam with them gas station pumps

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » October 19th, 2018, 1:50 am

Mezeker wrote:
ftitan wrote:I noticed that since the last budget with the NP diesel near duncan village/cross crossing.
I watch the needle...and the needle would've barely budged for long distances but now I can lose close to a quarter tank a day for the same drive..on diesel eh
But if I fill up elsewhere I get better mileage..I dunno why but that's what I noticed for a while.

I think it is possible that individual gas stations have issues with their fuel quality as well.
ray charles could see that ..lol

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » October 19th, 2018, 1:51 am

RedVEVO wrote:OP, Gas prices up but your salary $$ same .

Hence it's your wallet/mind in panic mode . Take 2 Panadol.

Or maybe while you sleep your enemy neighbor siphoning your gas.
hahhaa i luv this thread

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » October 19th, 2018, 1:55 am

brainchild wrote:TIPS ON FILLING YOUR CAR(S) (Good information)

Petrol is becoming more and more expensive!

My line of work has been in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every litre. Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline where I work in Durban we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period through the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, LRP and Unleaded. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 litres.

Only buy or fill up your car or bakkie in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground.. The colder the ground the more dense the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A one degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL.

The reason for this is because the more fuel you have in your tank the less air is occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a fuel truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy, DO NOT fill up - most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.
yea i saw similar advice online n dont full to the brim .. leave space .. to be honest . i full night n early mornings. cause the lines shorter to wait . every tom dick n harry Does be out midday to full

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » October 19th, 2018, 8:34 am

Would wrapping your gas tank with radiant barrier help keep your tank cool during the day thus result in less evaporation?

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » October 19th, 2018, 9:39 am

Musical Doc wrote:Would wrapping your gas tank with radiant barrier help keep your tank cool during the day thus result in less evaporation?

How much fuel do you lose due to evaporation for every tank of fuel you fill up (guessing you have a 45 litre)?

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » October 19th, 2018, 10:15 am

The fuel system in a vehicle is a closed system, unlike older vehicles with a vented gas cap, modern vehicle have a sealed cap and a charcoal canister that recycles evaporated fuel.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 19th, 2018, 10:22 am

Are there actual studies comparing the difference in fuel volume between fulling up in the morning (when the fuel is denser) as opposed to the rest of the day? I understand the science, just not sure if disparity is material.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 19th, 2018, 10:27 am

Wasn't this debunked with newer tanks being installed? I still subscribe to early morning fills though.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » October 19th, 2018, 11:22 am

SMc wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:Would wrapping your gas tank with radiant barrier help keep your tank cool during the day thus result in less evaporation?

How much fuel do you lose due to evaporation for every tank of fuel you fill up (guessing you have a 45 litre)?

I'm not sure that is why I'm asking. I park my car out in the open in work and I've noticed that when i start my car on evenings the needle is slightly lower than the level I left at in the morning. Only explanation I could come up with is the daytime heat causing evaporation... I could be wrong

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » October 19th, 2018, 11:40 am

I've been zeroin my counter from empty on EVERY FILLUP SINCE 2009. EVERY SINGLE ONE. I use premium and the mileage has been more or less the same EVERY TIME. The only thing that affects the efficiency is fyaz, and highway vs traffic driving.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » October 19th, 2018, 11:51 am

crazybalhead wrote:I've been zeroin my counter from empty on EVERY FILLUP SINCE 2009. EVERY SINGLE ONE. I use premium and the mileage has been more or less the same EVERY TIME. The only thing that affects the efficiency is fyaz, and highway vs traffic driving.

you gee dem dan

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 19th, 2018, 12:20 pm

crazybalhead wrote:I've been zeroin my counter from empty on EVERY FILLUP SINCE 2009. EVERY SINGLE ONE. I use premium and the mileage has been more or less the same EVERY TIME. The only thing that affects the efficiency is fyaz, and highway vs traffic driving.
Ive had a spread sheet since 2008 to present with the same info (mainly for tax purposes). I also use premium and the mileage has been constant considering the variables - moving from a 1.6l to a 1.5l to a 2.0l engine.

I also moved from .5hr commute to +1hr commute one way in bumper to bumper to traffic.

In that time I went from $3 to $4 to $5.75 prices for fuel so I find it hard to sympathise with super and diesel crew.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 19th, 2018, 3:15 pm

rollingstock wrote:The fuel system in a vehicle is a closed system, unlike older vehicles with a vented gas cap, modern vehicle have a sealed cap and a charcoal canister that recycles evaporated fuel.
^^ Exactly.

Most vehicles with emissions controls have tanks that only vent in case of excessive pressure. When polyethylene tanks warm during the day, they typically expand and the fuel sender may drop.

Fuel gauge circuits have hysteresis built in and will likely show a different reading after you shut off the gauge circuit for a few minutes.

The density of gasoline changes about 0.25% when the temperature changes from 20°C to 30°C at atmospheric pressure.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » October 19th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Stop it with those big words!

The govahment too wicked!!! It bunning faster!!

bess almera
Sweet on this forum

Postby bess almera » October 19th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Men complaining bout gas not lasting but majority driving 100+ km/h....anywayz...carry on.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » October 19th, 2018, 4:07 pm

crazybalhead wrote:Stop it with those big words!

The govahment too wicked!!! It bunning faster!!
hahahahaha

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » October 19th, 2018, 8:49 pm

My brother says regular gas that he uses in his EK3 burns much slower than Super.

Any explanation as to why this is?

iDynamic
Riding on 18's

Postby iDynamic » October 23rd, 2018, 9:34 pm

brainchild wrote:TIPS ON FILLING YOUR CAR(S) (Good information)

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL.

The reason for this is because the more fuel you have in your tank the less air is occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a fuel truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy, DO NOT fill up - most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

Learnt something today thanks for the info!

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » October 23rd, 2018, 10:48 pm

Ah feel gas in certain places would definitely not last long after all this flood

whizzard
3NE 2NR for life

Postby whizzard » October 24th, 2018, 9:07 pm

So is it impossible that some stations may be adding some sort of filler?

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » October 24th, 2018, 11:34 pm

hopefully the imported gas will burn better.
it could also be that the station pump not calibrated correctly
good check is to walk with your gas container
if you run 10 liters and the price matches the per litre amount then the pump calibrated

whizzard
3NE 2NR for life

Postby whizzard » October 25th, 2018, 9:56 am

I don't think it's a calibration issue as the needle in the car would read full.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 25th, 2018, 2:12 pm

No one in this thread seems to know what kind of mileage they actually get.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » October 25th, 2018, 2:52 pm

adnj wrote:No one in this thread seems to know what kind of mileage they actually get.

Exactly.

If they think it's burning faster they need to record distance travelled between fill ups and how many litres to fill up.

I have been doing rough checks since I got my vehicle and I have been consistently averaging 11.9km/l (except when they wanted to enforce the 65kph on pickups and it went up to around 13)

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 25th, 2018, 3:36 pm

adnj wrote:No one in this thread seems to know what kind of mileage they actually get.

Challenge accepted [Goes back to 2009]

Capture.JPG

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 25th, 2018, 4:02 pm

pete wrote:

Exactly.

If they think it's burning faster they need to record distance travelled between fill ups and how many litres to fill up.

I have been doing rough checks since I got my vehicle and I have been consistently averaging 11.9km/l (except when they wanted to enforce the 65kph on pickups and it went up to around 13)
Dizzy28 wrote:

Challenge accepted [Goes back to 2009]

Capture.JPG
I stand corrected...

Only two people in this thread seem to know what kind of mileage they actually get.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”