TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

More people using Regular gas in their cars since the price increase on Super

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Re: More people using Regular gas in their cars since the price increase on Super

Postby ADONI » October 16th, 2018, 3:22 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:^ using a lower octane than the manufacturer recommends can result in detonation and engine knock and eventual engine damage.

however I've heard from multiple sources, the refinery doesn't produce much Regular gasoline, so most times it's Super you are getting at the Regular pump, at Regular price too.

I've heard the same from a gas station owner.
Regular is Super (LOL). Still afraid to try it.

Like when they say Michelin does make Triangle tyres.... :mrgreen:

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: More people using Regular gas in their cars since the price increase on Super

Postby black start » October 16th, 2018, 3:23 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
black start wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:^ using a lower octane than the manufacturer recommends can result in detonation and engine knock and eventual engine damage.

however I've heard from multiple sources, the refinery doesn't produce much Regular gasoline, so most times it's Super you are getting at the Regular pump, at Regular price too.

I've heard the same from a gas station owner.
Regular is Super (LOL). Still afraid to try it.
The line to get regular gonna get longer now....
Line too long down there already. I get to cut the line for diesel, but for super I go somewhere else
Years now I heading couva and chaguanas to fill up

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 16th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Dave wrote:Many cheap ways to reduce your combustion chamber temps thus reducing your need for higher octane.
Enlighten me... This is not sarcasm; I honestly want to know.
Last edited by kamakazi on October 16th, 2018, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 16th, 2018, 3:27 pm

If anyone still have a carburettor... They set yes

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 16th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Had a b14 years ago attendant put regular in Chaguanas by mistake by the time I reached Grand Bazaar was real knock

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 16th, 2018, 3:38 pm

same thing with the pitch oil/kerosene
the kerosene being sold is supposedly the same high grade jet fuel for aircraft
not the yellow stuff from long time

Dizzy28 wrote:
pugboy wrote:I thought they stopped making this grade gas

They did.
Word is it is super gasoline coloured with a different dye. (So I was told by someone from NP).

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 16th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Most EFI engines have knock sensors that allow the ECM to retard timing and prevent premature detonation.

In most of the vehicles that we built and tested, it took about two tanks of fuel for the ECM to handle a lower octane rating.

We were testing 87/89/91/93 ratings. It worked for dropping down about 2 on the AKI scale.

That also assumes that your engine knock sensor works properly.

Last edited by adnj on October 16th, 2018, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » October 16th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:I believe the Regular fuel is unleaded

I thought it was leaded too. but according to http://www.np.co.tt/resources/emergencysafety-faqs/
The difference is based on the octane rating. Regular is 83, Super is 92 and Premium, 95.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » October 16th, 2018, 5:41 pm

I used regular in my old EG8 Civic for years and never had an issue, my brother does the same with his EK3 even to this day and never once had an issue.

By the time the engine is damaged and that is a big IF it gets damaged the amount of money you would have saved from using regular you could buy 5 engines with that money. Same way his EK3 has an oil leak for donkey years so he never bothered to change oil he just tops up and engine runs fine even to this day.

The amount of money he save with that car abusing it the way he does even if he had to buy a new engine for $5k he wouldn't mind, the abuse save way more than that. I am not sure about Nissan but it could also be a superior quality of Honda engines which Honda and Toyota are known for.
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on October 16th, 2018, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » October 16th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
toyolink wrote:Heard about this yesterday and was really surprised.
My belief was that we no longer wanted fuel with lead as a octane enhancer due to emission concerns.
If this is true maybe is a unleaded low octane fuel.
If its low octane lead type fuel vehicle sensors are going to take a licking.

I believe the Regular fuel is unleaded
And u still making car lengths on de sti

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » October 16th, 2018, 6:53 pm

hav a fella i does work with that does be using this regular in his carbed b13, no diff at all. same power, same everything.

i did some work on a voxy who used regular for a couple days to try a ting, idle get haywire, odd miss at 2300RPM, engine knock, throttle body get a kinda chalky residue that not removing with anything like carb spray, gas ect. notnx

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 16th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Fuel Octane, Choosing The Wrong Octane Will Cost You

This is more of a clarifying post, rather than advice or tips. It’s about fuel octane, when to choose what octane for your vehicle, and what the wrong octane will do.

Why? Because I’ve heard so many people talk about how they ‘threw some high octane’ in their car ‘to get more performance’.

First the basics. What is the octane rating you see on every fuel pump everywhere?

Without getting technical and beyond the scope of this article, octane is a measure of gasoline’s anti-knocking properties. What is anti-knocking? Well, simply put knocking is a condition in which fuel burns too early in the combustion process, also called pre-detonation or pinging. It’s the instability of gasoline that causes it to burn prematurely and unstably. The higher the octane, the more stable the gasoline.

IMPORTANT: Higher octane gasoline, which is more stable, has no more energy potential than lower octane gasoline. There is no more energy to be had from high octane gasoline, then from low octane gasoline.

What octane gasoline should I be using in my car?

Use only what the owner’s manual specifies. If your car is designed to run on regular gasoline, or 87 octane. If your manual specifies higher octane fuel, such as 89, 91, or 93 use the closest octane rating available at your gas station without going below the specified rating in your manual.

What will happen if I use higher octane gas than I’m supposed to?

A few things. For one, you will be wasting a huge amount of money paying for high octane gasoline. Second, your car will not run correctly, whether you notice it or not. Higher octane fuel requires more heat and more precision to burn correctly. If your car is designed to burn 87, it will not burn 93 correctly. Third, your gas mileage will suffer. The inability of your engine to burn the higher octane gas correctly will cause your engine to produce less power and thus will require more fuel to perform at the same level.

What about using lower octane gasoline in a high octane engine?

In this situation, you will see negative effects that could be even worse. Using low octane fuel in a high octane engine will result in severely reduced performance because the engine will attempt to adjust to the lower octane gasoline. In extreme cases, or with prolonged use of low octane gasoline in these engines, pinging or pre-detonation can occur and can eventually destroy your engine. Pre-detonation causes very hot conditions in your engine and can melt sparkplug and pistons.

What fuel you use in your vehicle is important. Make sure you always follow the manufacturers recommendations. Using a fuel other than what the manufacturer specifies will in no way help you save money, gain power, or do anything other than cost you money.

Did you accidentally fill up with 87 instead of 91 or 93? Were you in a pinch and had to fill up with lower octane fuel? Not a problem. If your tank is full, and adding high octane fuel is not an option, consider picking up a bottle of Lucas Octane Boost. One bottle will treat an entire tank of gas and help to bring your octane closer to where it should be. It’s not a fix all, and certainly shouldn’t be used in place of actually filling up with the correct fuel, but if you had to add some low octane fuel for one reason or another, it can help out in a pinch. Amazon has the lowest price I’ve seen on this, and purchasing through this affiliate link helps me keep this site going. Again, don’t go thinking that you can fill up with 87 and drop a bottle of this in to save money. That’s not how it works. But it can help to ease the effects of lower octane fuel in an engine that requires high octane.

http://www.whatcouldbegreener.com/142/fuel-octane-choosing-the-wrong-octane-will-cost-you/

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 16th, 2018, 7:13 pm

waitin on the octane booster crew to say the "octane booster" does increase RON

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 16th, 2018, 7:28 pm

Isn't regular gasoline RON83...I think np website has it at that value... But there website doesn't appear to be updated in the longest time

Advent
Riding on 17's

Postby Advent » October 16th, 2018, 7:32 pm

wagonrunner wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:I believe the Regular fuel is unleaded

I thought it was leaded too. but according to http://www.np.co.tt/resources/emergencysafety-faqs/
The difference is based on the octane rating. Regular is 83, Super is 92 and Premium, 95.

why are people saying regular is 87 when it is 83?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 16th, 2018, 8:12 pm

jess dont pressure the engine. run at low rpms. dont go to situation where there will induce preignition

antlind
Riding on 17's

Postby antlind » October 16th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Don’t some of the more modern engines have the ability to sense lower octane fuel and automatically retard the timing to prevent damage?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 16th, 2018, 8:31 pm

antlind wrote:Don’t some of the more modern engines have the ability to sense lower octane fuel and automatically retard the timing to prevent damage?
To a point, yes.

adnj wrote:Most EFI engines have knock sensors that allow the ECM to retard timing and prevent premature detonation.

In most of the vehicles that we built and tested, it took about two tanks of fuel for the ECM to handle a lower octane rating.

We were testing 87/89/91/93 ratings. It worked for dropping down about 2 on the AKI scale.

That also assumes that your engine knock sensor works properly.

Last edited by adnj on October 16th, 2018, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 16th, 2018, 8:44 pm

I know for a fact some of the local older nze corollas could not take super yet the foreign used ones/fielders could.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 16th, 2018, 10:27 pm

pugboy wrote:I know for a fact some of the local older nze corollas could not take super yet the foreign used ones/fielders could.

My nze pumping hard with super.....I read in the article where a guy was mixing super and regular...now paint this picture...when diesel reach close to that super price or even more...what would people do?? Not buy it?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 16th, 2018, 10:36 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
pugboy wrote:I know for a fact some of the local older nze corollas could not take super yet the foreign used ones/fielders could.

My nze pumping hard with super.....I read in the article where a guy was mixing super and regular...now paint this picture...when diesel reach close to that super price or even more...what would people do?? Not buy it?

some diesel men already running pure kerosene with a splash of trans fluid. not me sah

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 16th, 2018, 10:47 pm

kerosene was always a diesel trick. i wouldnt run pure kero, though, as it isnt and viscus, thus it wouldnt lubricate as well.

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » October 16th, 2018, 11:22 pm

If regular gas is Ron 87 Octane, I dont see a problem with people using it in their car .
Most times in the US they have 3 gas grades at the pump and the cheapest is 87 octane and most people fill up with that .
Even i put that in the rental car and i get extremely good mileage with it.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 16th, 2018, 11:55 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:

some diesel men already running pure kerosene with a splash of trans fluid. not me sah

cant diesel vehicles run wit just used vegetable oil??
vids on youtube showing you can substitute fuel for used cooking vegetable oil...
older diesel engines... not too sure how the modern ones will handle the cooking oil....

wickedtuna
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Regular gas can blow your engine ?

Postby wickedtuna » October 17th, 2018, 12:20 am

Mo­torists have been form­ing long queues at fu­el sta­tions in San Fer­nan­do, Cara­pichaima and Ch­agua­nas to fill their tanks with the low-grade fu­el re­cent­ly. Mo­torists with the stan­dard 45-litre tanks are record­ing up to $107 in sav­ings by switch­ing from su­per gaso­line to reg­u­lar.

They said with the cost of liv­ing in­creas­ing, they had to find ways to re­duce their ex­pen­di­ture. But a pump at­ten­dant said he has not seen any lux­u­ry ve­hi­cles switch­ing their fu­el from pre­mi­um gaso­line to su­per or reg­u­lar.
How­ev­er, BMW mo­tor ser­vices and tech­ni­cal man­ag­er Hugo Lock­hart says while some ve­hi­cles were de­signed to ac­com­mo­date reg­u­lar gaso­line, the new­er gen­er­a­tion of ve­hi­cles are not. For in­stance, Mit­subishi ve­hi­cles with gas en­gines re­quire fu­el with an oc­tane lev­el of 91 RON, which is one RON less than the qual­i­ty of su­per gaso­line. Reg­u­lar gaso­line has a lev­el of 87 RON while pre­mi­um is 95 RON.

“My ad­vice to dri­vers is to try to use the ap­proved fu­el that the man­u­fac­tur­er rec­om­mend­ed be­cause en­gines are de­signed to work with a spe­cif­ic grade of fu­el for a rea­son. The per­for­mance will be less if you use a dif­fer­ent fu­el and you might not get the ben­e­fit you are hop­ing and you risk dam­ag­ing your en­gine com­po­nents,” Lock­hart said.

“This can back­fire. What­ev­er you save now, at the end you might have to spend more to fix your car.”

Lock­hart ex­plained that reg­u­lar gas has more sed­i­men­tal par­ti­cles than su­per and pre­mi­um, which can clog and dam­age a ve­hi­cle’s fu­el in­jec­tors. When this hap­pens, the re­quired amount of fu­el will not be sup­plied to the com­bus­tion cham­ber, re­sult­ing in the ve­hi­cle mis­fir­ing or get­ting a “hard start” up­on ig­ni­tion. Be­sides hav­ing to spend mon­ey to clean or re­place the noz­zles, the ve­hi­cle’s fu­el fil­ter could al­so be blocked with the sed­i­ments, re­quir­ing the own­er to change it.

It gets worse, as Lock­hart said en­gine pink­ing or en­gine knock­ing is a symp­tom of us­ing low oc­tane fu­el.

“When you have a low oc­tane fu­el this will cause en­gine pink­ing, mean­ing when you press for gas there will be a knock­ing in the en­gine be­cause the oc­tane is low­er than what it was de­signed for.

“Al­so, be­cause of that en­gine knock­ing and low oc­tane, the en­gine tem­per­a­ture will rise above nor­mal to a point that if the fu­el is very bad you may dam­age your pis­tons. They will rup­ture, your links will work at a high tem­per­a­ture and cut short the life of your en­gine. Your most im­por­tant parts of an en­gine are the pis­tons, the crank­shaft and the con­nect­ing rods.”

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/expert-r ... bbfd86f2a7

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 17th, 2018, 6:57 am

skylinechild wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

vids on youtube showing you can substitute fuel for used cooking vegetable oil...
older diesel engines... not too sure how the modern ones will handle the cooking oil....

sadly some oil more expensive than diesel

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 17th, 2018, 7:01 am

skylinechild wrote:

sadly some oil more expensive than diesel

men selling USED vegetable oil more than fresh diesel..... ??
what d fork i hearin here boi shakes.....

what do they do with the used vegetable oil.???

can anyone say..??..alot of fast food places... KFC..royal castle.....churchs....wendys....ETC ....

thats ALOT of vegetable oil.....

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 17th, 2018, 7:09 am

I bought a Ssang Young Musso from a company called ecoimpact in Diego Martin that was converted to run on used cooking oil. They buy oil from all the above mentioned food outlets and filter and recycle and export. . You can read about the conversion online .I now seeing they are now under the Hadco group, so you know they on to something.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 17th, 2018, 7:26 am

hong kong phooey wrote:If regular gas is Ron 87 Octane, I dont see a problem with people using it in their car .
Most times in the US they have 3 gas grades at the pump and the cheapest is 87 octane and most people fill up with that .
Even i put that in the rental car and i get extremely good mileage with it.
The US doesn't use Ron rating they use AKI. Its not the same

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 17th, 2018, 7:45 am

that was originally Troy Hadeed company and I think his guinea pig vehicle

at the time I dont think it was capable of working with the current high pressure common rail diesel engines
or at least under the process they attempted to produce the biodiesel under.

it would be interesting to know the cost to convert cooking oil to high grade biodiesel capable of using in
a modern common rail diesel engine.

rspann wrote:I bought a Ssang Young Musso from a company called ecoimpact in Diego Martin that was converted to run on used cooking oil. They buy oil from all the above mentioned food outlets and filter and recycle and export. . You can read about the conversion online .I now seeing they are now under the Hadco group, so you know they on to something.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”