Forums

More people using Regular gas in their cars since the price increase on Super

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

More people using Regular gas in their cars since the price increase on Super

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 16th, 2018, 10:04 am

Feel­ing the pinch from the in­creased cost of Su­per gaso­line, scores of mo­torists are flock­ing to the Carousel Ser­vice Sta­tion in San Fer­nan­do to fill their tanks with Reg­u­lar gaso­line, com­mon­ly sold as fu­el for fish­ing boats.

Reg­u­lar gas, which has an 87 Re­search Oc­tane Num­ber (RON), is a low­er grade than Su­per gaso­line (92 RON) and Pre­mi­um gaso­line (95 RON).

Not many mo­torists fill­ing their tanks seem to be con­cerned with the oc­tane lev­els of the fu­el but rather the dras­tic price dif­fer­ence.

A litre of Su­per gaso­line now costs $4.97, up by one dol­lar since the read­ing of the Bud­get on Oc­to­ber, in com­par­i­son to $2.60 for a litre of Reg­u­lar gaso­line.

Over the past two weeks, there has been an in­creased de­mand for the cheap­er fu­el.

Every night from 9 pm un­til 9 am, with mo­torists cre­at­ing a traf­fic pile up along the Na­pari­ma/Ma­yaro Road, Co­coyea Vil­lage to fill their tanks. The queue in­cludes many taxi dri­vers who utilise sig­nif­i­cant litres of fu­el in ply­ing their trade.

Mo­torists said that the in­creased cost of Su­per gaso­line was a bur­den to their pock­ets as the cost of liv­ing con­tin­ues to rise. While it takes about $224 to fill a 45-litre tank with Su­per gaso­line, at $2.60 per litre of Reg­u­lar gas, it cost mo­torists $117, a sav­ings of $107 at the pump.

Cur­rent­ly, Reg­u­lar gaso­line is avail­able in Co­coyea Vil­lage, Or­ange Val­ley and Ch­agua­nas Main Road.

A pump at­ten­dant at the Co­coyea Vil­lage gas sta­tion said that for the past two weeks, there has in­crease of cus­tomers fill­ing up their tanks with the cheap­er fu­el.

“I guess every­body putting Reg­u­lar gas be­cause it is cost­ing cheap­er so they are not putting the Su­per. The hike in Su­per has a ma­jor ef­fect on peo­ple so every night from 9 to 9 am, the lines are long,” the at­ten­dant said.

But re­search has shown that us­ing the wrong fu­el can dam­age en­gines as oc­tane lev­els de­ter­mine the amount of com­pres­sion the fu­el and air mix­ture can han­dle.

Adding high com­pres­sion to low oc­tane fu­el and air means that the fu­el could ig­nite on its own, which is bad. If a Reg­u­lar gaso­line goes in­to an en­gine with a com­pres­sion lev­el that re­quires Su­per or Pre­mi­um gaso­line, the ve­hi­cles will ex­pe­ri­ence en­gine knock­ing, which sig­ni­fies pre­ma­ture ig­ni­tion. If con­tin­ued, this would even­tu­al­ly lead to per­ma­nent en­gine dam­age.

De­spite the ill-ef­fects, pres­i­dent of the Pe­tro­le­um Deal­ers As­so­ci­a­tion Robindranath Narayns­ingh said once there is a de­mand for fu­el, the fu­el sta­tion op­er­a­tors would re­quest the prod­uct from its sup­pli­er Na­tion­al Pe­tro­le­um. He said there was noth­ing stop­ping mo­torists from us­ing the prod­uct, even if it is to their ve­hi­cles’ detri­ment.

“If the per­son who is per­sist­ing with Reg­u­lar did not do re­search for the ve­hi­cle, they are to be held re­spon­si­ble for the con­se­quences that will flow from their ac­tion. It’s all dri­ven by mar­ket forces; if there is a de­mand, the op­er­a­tor will pro­vide,” Narayns­ingh said.

Dri­ver Otis John, who was fill­ing his Hyundai Tra­jet SUV, said the trick was to fill half of the tank with Reg­u­lar gaso­line and the oth­er half with Su­per gaso­line so that the en­gine will not be dam­aged.

Some dri­vers pur­chase oc­tane boost­ers as a fu­el ad­di­tive but most of the brands that of­fer high­er oc­tane lev­els and an­ti-knock ad­di­tives would be too ex­pen­sive to make sav­ings when used with Reg­u­lar gas.

One cus­tomer said that de­spite the warn­ing against us­ing Reg­u­lar gaso­line, it was one of the few choic­es poor peo­ple have.

“This is a re­al detri­men­tal sit­u­a­tion for hu­man be­ings in this coun­try. Peo­ple have to look for oth­er means of get­ting fu­el at a cheap­er rate be­cause they have their chil­dren to mind. That is how it is out here be­cause these big­ger heads don’t care about poor peo­ple. Poor peo­ple just have to re­main and see trou­ble.”

An­oth­er cus­tomer said, “That is how it does work, it is a re­al­i­ty. If you have a good car, you have to put reg­u­lar in it.”

Trin­ba­go Uni­fied Fish­er­Folk pres­i­dent Kishore Boodram said Reg­u­lar gaso­line is the fu­el used in the en­gines of their fish­ing pirogues.

Boodram said fish­er­men have been lob­by­ing for more sta­tions to be al­lo­cat­ed the cheap­er gas to sup­ply fish­er­folk. He said that peo­ple were suf­fer­ing from the in­creased cost of Su­per gaso­line and had to find cre­ative ways to re­duce their ex­pens­es.

Kevon Felmine
15 hours ago
Mon Oct 15 2018

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/drivers- ... 46f2cc3196

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Re: More people using Regular gas in their cars since the price increase on Super

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 16th, 2018, 10:07 am

What are the negative effects of using regular? I see my neighbor making the journey to Mayaro to use the regular...he threw in ah treatment as well

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: More people using Regular gas in their cars since the price increase on Super

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 16th, 2018, 10:10 am

^ using a lower octane than the manufacturer recommends can result in detonation and engine knock and eventual engine damage.

however I've heard from multiple sources, the refinery doesn't produce much Regular gasoline, so most times it's Super you are getting at the Regular pump, at Regular price too.

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » October 16th, 2018, 10:17 am

Men using regular in their cars a while now. I cud remember a while back i went to mayaro gas station to full up and the attendant asked me if i using super or regular... i didn't even know it had something like 'regular ' gasoline.... she said some people does use that in their cars cuz it cheaper...

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » October 16th, 2018, 10:20 am

Too soon for knock knock jokes?

roadhog
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby roadhog » October 16th, 2018, 10:20 am

Some people just shouldn’t have cars if that’s what they doing just imagine the road worthiness of their vehicles. What else they skimming on

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 16th, 2018, 10:27 am

Penny-wise and pound-foolish...:|

not_a_monkey
Street 2NR

Postby not_a_monkey » October 16th, 2018, 10:34 am

So, does mixing 87RON with 92RON (regular & super petrol) as the one guy mentioned in the piece, help? If the manufacturer specs say at least 87RON, will I benefit from mixing at the pump? I've only ever used super, and wasn't even aware that we have 87ron available

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » October 16th, 2018, 10:36 am

well he said it snickering " ah raise gas prices and nobody aint riot yet" so why not

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 16th, 2018, 10:37 am

Imagine you paying a taxi driver more for a trip now but he really paying less for gas than before the budget.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 16th, 2018, 10:41 am

last wk when i read of ppl using regular i was like eh they still making regular i tort dat phase out long time .......

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 16th, 2018, 10:41 am

ppl feel dey smart but jes now impsbutt go raise d price of regular too ....

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » October 16th, 2018, 10:42 am

to understand "knock"

GVTrini07
3NE 2NR for life

Postby GVTrini07 » October 16th, 2018, 10:46 am

Interesting! All yuh, wah ah Tiida (wetman) requirements are?

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » October 16th, 2018, 10:51 am

Some men seeing regular written on their gas lids and thinking yea, they gt but driving a foreign used

Japan regular (90 iirc) > trinidad regular (87)

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 16th, 2018, 10:52 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:^ using a lower octane than the manufacturer recommends can result in detonation and engine knock and eventual engine damage.

however I've heard from multiple sources, the refinery doesn't produce much Regular gasoline, so most times it's Super you are getting at the Regular pump, at Regular price too.

I've heard the same from a gas station owner.
Regular is Super (LOL). Still afraid to try it.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » October 16th, 2018, 10:52 am

GVTrini07 wrote:Interesting! All yuh, wah ah Tiida (wetman) requirements are?

Kill it with fire.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 16th, 2018, 11:39 am

Dizzy28 wrote:Imagine you paying a taxi driver more for a trip now but he really paying less for gas than before the budget.

sad

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 16th, 2018, 11:42 am

could just add a spacer head gasket and decrease the compression a bit.... next engine rebuild.
regalar fuh lifeeeeee!!!!

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 16th, 2018, 11:45 am

Many cheap ways to reduce your combustion chamber temps thus reducing your need for higher octane.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 16th, 2018, 12:20 pm

I thought they stopped making this grade gas

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » October 16th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Heard about this yesterday and was really surprised.
My belief was that we no longer wanted fuel with lead as a octane enhancer due to emission concerns.
If this is true maybe is a unleaded low octane fuel.
If its low octane lead type fuel vehicle sensors are going to take a licking.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 16th, 2018, 1:03 pm

pugboy wrote:I thought they stopped making this grade gas

if they do...carite would reach hunjed ah lb......plenty fishermen in Mayaro rely heavily on this gas

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » October 16th, 2018, 1:29 pm

@ unipet Santa flora they removed all the super pumps. Only regular and premium. Attendant said is what people asking for. Don’t be surprised to see more black pumps in gas stations now

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 16th, 2018, 1:36 pm

pugboy wrote:I thought they stopped making this grade gas

They did.
Word is it is super gasoline coloured with a different dye. (So I was told by someone from NP).

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 16th, 2018, 2:02 pm

toyolink wrote:Heard about this yesterday and was really surprised.
My belief was that we no longer wanted fuel with lead as a octane enhancer due to emission concerns.

I believe the Regular fuel is unleaded

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » October 16th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
toyolink wrote:Heard about this yesterday and was really surprised.

I believe the Regular fuel is unleaded

If it is unleaded, owners who have very conservative/docile operating requirements may survive on this fuel.
Certainly the fuel injected engine from early 2000's wont work optimaly and tuning condition would be unstable but when better cant be done what do you do.

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » October 16th, 2018, 3:19 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:^ using a lower octane than the manufacturer recommends can result in detonation and engine knock and eventual engine damage.

The line to get regular gonna get longer now....

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » October 16th, 2018, 3:19 pm

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 16th, 2018, 3:21 pm

black start wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

The line to get regular gonna get longer now....
Line too long down there already. I get to cut the line for diesel, but for super I go somewhere else

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”