Forums

Wonder rust remover on steel beams

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Wonder rust remover on steel beams

Postby SNIPER 3000 » October 22nd, 2018, 3:30 pm

Anyone used Wonder rust remover on steel beams? I am planning to use it on my steel structure, not a lot of information on it and i have asked builders who used it on roofs. Was wondering what the learned guys think about it, Rory, rspann all the structural guys share your experiences. Basically is it safe to use on steel structures mainly the post?
Thanks.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Wonder rust remover on steel beams

Postby rspann » October 22nd, 2018, 4:30 pm

Buff it and use red oxide. No need for wonder.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 22nd, 2018, 4:30 pm

wonder is phosphric acid which eats the metal oxide/rust as well as etches the raw steel surface slightly to give a little surface prep protection
its good for light surface rust as it will eat it off

if the rust is deeply embedded it will form a black layer over the embedded rust
however I have found that eventually the rust under may come alive later even if primed and painted.

Better to use angle grinder and grind off deep rust and paint with the wonder then wash off
because it also sometimes leaves a crusty residue which can flake off with the primer/paint

if you wash it off after it letting it act for a few hours the surface will be kinda matt and primer adheres well.

Eagle View Enterprises
Street 2NR

Postby Eagle View Enterprises » October 22nd, 2018, 6:25 pm

I always use it. Put in a spray bottle and spray it on. Let dry as it forms an oxidized primed surface. then i paint red oxide. Been doing it for years now.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 22nd, 2018, 7:27 pm

+1 on answers above. It will not harm a steel beam.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 22nd, 2018, 10:32 pm

Use a spray bottle or can (depending on the amount of steel that you have to treat) let it dry, rub/brush off the oxide formed, and paint with red/gray oxide.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 22nd, 2018, 10:50 pm

SNIPER 3000 wrote:Anyone used Wonder rust remover on steel beams? I am planning to use it on my steel structure, not a lot of information on it and i have asked builders who used it on roofs. Was wondering what the learned guys think about it, Rory, rspann all the structural guys share your experiences. Basically is it safe to use on steel structures mainly the post?
Thanks.

What’s the condition of the steel beams? I just buff the beams, wipe with gas and prime.

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » October 23rd, 2018, 8:48 am

OP, I also use Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. It seems to hold real good to rusty metal thus far.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » October 23rd, 2018, 7:07 pm

matix wrote:
SNIPER 3000 wrote:Anyone used Wonder rust remover on steel beams? I am planning to use it on my steel structure, not a lot of information on it and i have asked builders who used it on roofs. Was wondering what the learned guys think about it, Rory, rspann all the structural guys share your experiences. Basically is it safe to use on steel structures mainly the post?
Thanks.

What’s the condition of the steel beams? I just buff the beams, wipe with gas and prime.

Its surface rust, in pretty good condition. Was going to use it as a precaution.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » October 23rd, 2018, 7:08 pm

ADONI wrote:OP, I also use Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. It seems to hold real good to rusty metal thus far.

Will look into it. thanks.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » October 23rd, 2018, 7:10 pm

rspann wrote:Buff it and use red oxide. No need for wonder.

Its painted with grey primer, has some small rust on the surface. Too much to buff, the building is up just wanted to add some sort of protector on the steel before painting again.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » October 23rd, 2018, 7:12 pm

De Dragon wrote:Use a spray bottle or can (depending on the amount of steel that you have to treat) let it dry, rub/brush off the oxide formed, and paint with red/gray oxide.
Eagle View Enterprises wrote:I always use it. Put in a spray bottle and spray it on. Let dry as it forms an oxidized primed surface. then i paint red oxide. Been doing it for years now.

Yes will try this method, might have to wash the beams down before spraying the wonder.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 23rd, 2018, 7:19 pm

Wonder leaves a phosphate coating if left to dry. A sort of whitish powdery coating. You can just paint it back with some more grey oxide if you choose. A very good rust treatment is magic rust seal. Most hardwares has it ,the dealer is on O'Meara rd opposite ACL. It dries as a black primer ,in half an hour. Just wipe it on the beams with a cloth or brush ,it will treat the rust, then paint with zinc chromate red or grey.

4kin4kar
Sweet on this forum

Postby 4kin4kar » October 24th, 2018, 7:40 am

Pressure was the beams first.... Remember to wear eye protection.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 24th, 2018, 4:18 pm

rspann wrote:Wonder leaves a phosphate coating if left to dry. A sort of whitish powdery coating. You can just paint it back with some more grey oxide if you choose. A very good rust treatment is magic rust seal. Most hardwares has it ,the dealer is on O'Meara rd opposite ACL. It dries as a black primer ,in half an hour. Just wipe it on the beams with a cloth or brush ,it will treat the rust, then paint with zinc chromate red or grey.

Any idea of the prices? Those small spray bottles in hardwares/tile places are around $75.
I'm looking for like 5 gallons.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 24th, 2018, 8:45 pm

The dealer is on O'Meara rd, but I can't remember the name. Probably someone who is in that area can help.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » October 24th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Just use a steel brush , remove the rust then red oxide .

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » October 25th, 2018, 1:18 pm

De Dragon wrote:
rspann wrote:Wonder leaves a phosphate coating if left to dry. A sort of whitish powdery coating. You can just paint it back with some more grey oxide if you choose. A very good rust treatment is magic rust seal. Most hardwares has it ,the dealer is on O'Meara rd opposite ACL. It dries as a black primer ,in half an hour. Just wipe it on the beams with a cloth or brush ,it will treat the rust, then paint with zinc chromate red or grey.

Any idea of the prices? Those small spray bottles in hardwares/tile places are around $75.
I'm looking for like 5 gallons.

Much more expensive than wonder, the magic rust is around 500tt a gallon, more or less depends where you go.

AbuUwais
Riding on 13's

Postby AbuUwais » January 15th, 2021, 8:40 am

Eagle View Enterprises wrote:I always use it. Put in a spray bottle and spray it on. Let dry as it forms an oxidized primed surface. then i paint red oxide. Been doing it for years now.

Does the whitish and black foam residue from wonder plus rust remover prevent paint adhesion? If yes, whats the best way to remove, wiping, brushing off, washing?

I used it on a piece of new c channel with some mill scale left after wire brushing and sanding , no rust was really there but i wanted the chemical coat as a primer before i put grey oxide.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » January 15th, 2021, 8:59 am

Any paint remover/metal cleaner must be removed throughly before any paint is applied.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » January 15th, 2021, 9:33 am

whatever you use to clean the metal, ensure that after cleaning that you clean it thoroughly and allow ample time to dry with the least amount of residue possible then, coat with Red oxide or universal metal primer, or if you an afford then go for a 2 part epoxy metal primer......

AbuUwais
Riding on 13's

Postby AbuUwais » January 15th, 2021, 10:26 am

20210115_102922.jpg

I cleaned the steel with wire brush and sandpaper
Then applied wonder plus
The next day i checked it and it had a black coating (which i expected) but it was rough and uneven like foam but hard and crispy like a crust and can come off, some parts easy to scrape with finger nails and other spots not so easy. The whitish residue can wash off its not difficult to remove. I tried scrubbing with a scrubbing brush but not much help.
I dont think this black crust shud get coated with grey oxide primer because im sure it'll just flake off with gentle rubs nocks or grasping firmly with hands.

Any idea what to do about this crust and how to remove?

Below it is a dull light grey finish on the bare steel.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 15th, 2021, 12:20 pm

steel brush should take it off

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”