this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

California fires: At least 42 die in state's deadliest wildfire

Postby redmanjp » November 13th, 2018, 9:56 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46190118

California fires: At least 42 die in state's deadliest wildfire

Thirteen more bodies have been recovered in California, bringing the death toll in the US state's deadliest wildfire to 42, officials say.

The remains were found in and around the largely incinerated town of Paradise, in the north of the state.

At least 228 people are missing as the Camp Fire continues to rage. Nearly 7,200 structures have been destroyed, and another 15,500 are at risk.

The fire has now surpassed the 1933 Griffith Park disaster that killed 31.

Speaking at a news conference on Monday evening, Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea confirmed the number of dead, and the official number of missing.

Many more people are said to be unaccounted for.

In pictures: Wildfire rages in Malibu
Watch: Aerial footage shows devastation
'Three minutes separated me from death'
In the south of the state, other wildfires are menacing lives and property. The Woolsey Fire has so far killed two people as it damaged beach resorts, including Malibu.

More than 300,000 locals have been forced to flee their homes across California.

President Trump has declared a "major disaster" in the state, making federal aid available to affected residents.

How did people die?
Paradise and its surrounding areas bore the brunt of the Camp Fire - the largest blaze - which started in nearby forest on Thursday.

Some bodies were found in gutted cars that were overrun by the fast-moving fire, as residents scrambled to evacuate overnight.

Sorrell Bobrink, a Paradise resident who managed to drive away with her child, told BBC World Service radio she was first woken up and alerted by a phone call from a friend.

She described the scene as "exactly like any apocalyptic movie I have ever seen" and said she did not know if she was driving towards death or out of harm's way as the sky blackened.

"I had to drive through the fire - it was awful. It was probably the most awful experience I will have in my life," she told the Newsday programme.

"It was traumatising, we will be traumatised for a long time. My whole community was traumatised - I can't watch the videos anymore because I actually went through it."

Many of the victims are believed to be elderly residents or people with mobility issues who would find evacuating more difficult.

Media captionFleeing through flames: "I'm so scared right now... so terrified"
Forensic experts are stepping up their search in the ruins of Paradise, but officials warn that finding the bodies could take weeks.

Cadaver dogs are being brought in by local police to try and locate the dead, and two mobile army morgues will be used to help identify them.

The fire has burned more than 111,000 acres (45,000 hectares) and is nearly 25% contained, fire officials said.

What about further south?
The separate Woosley Blaze started on Thursday near Thousand Oaks, about 40 miles (64km) north-west of central Los Angeles.

It has consumed at least 85,500 acres and destroyed at least 177 buildings, officials said. It is only 10% contained. The smaller Hill Fire, nearby, has scorched 4,530 acres and is 75% contained.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: California fires: At least 42 die in state's deadliest wildfire

Postby rspann » November 13th, 2018, 10:13 am

The wind is fanning it ,so it's spreading even more. Yesterday I was driving on I 10 and had to slow down to control my car.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » November 13th, 2018, 10:34 am

rspann wrote:The wind is fanning it ,so it's spreading even more. Yesterday I was driving on I 10 and had to slow down to control my car.
Coulda carry Red Revo with you. She here spamming up every single thread.

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » November 13th, 2018, 1:17 pm

I saw some videos on NBC taken by persons trying to drive out, raging fire on both sides, low visibility on roadway...... that must have been a very scary experience. Some celebs lost their homes, Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke....

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » November 13th, 2018, 3:10 pm

https://lhc.ca.gov/sites/lhc.ca.gov/fil ... ort242.pdf
https://lhc.ca.gov/sites/lhc.ca.gov/fil ... ary242.pdf
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/349/6254/1280
While there's measures that need to implemented more frequently, it's opposed by tree huggers who don't understand the natural role of fires in forests and thus controlled burning has been handicapped since the current policies there reflect that attitude. There's a need for more thinning and all round fuel management which requires more funding. There's also the idea that recent flooding taught us, not building homes in flood prone areas. Many homes are built far too close to the treeline and alot of homeowners don't practice their own management of fuel that literally surrounds their homes.

cueball1990
Trinituner Peong

Postby cueball1990 » November 14th, 2018, 8:38 am

meccalli wrote:https://lhc.ca.gov/sites/lhc.ca.gov/files/Reports/242/Report242.pdf
https://lhc.ca.gov/sites/lhc.ca.gov/fil ... ary242.pdf
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/349/6254/1280
While there's measures that need to implemented more frequently, it's opposed by tree huggers who don't understand the natural role of fires in forests and thus controlled burning has been handicapped since the current policies there reflect that attitude. There's a need for more thinning and all round fuel management which requires more funding. There's also the idea that recent flooding taught us, not building homes in flood prone areas. Many homes are built far too close to the treeline and alot of homeowners don't practice their own management of fuel that literally surrounds their homes.

yep. smaller fires once in a while help keep the undergrowth down thus not allowing larger fires to spread. Since they started the anti forest fire campaigns there has been a significant increase in major forest fires. Conservation is fine and all but thinning the forest actually works out in favor since fires happen naturally too

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”