Forums

WTK DRIVING TIPS

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

cracker
3NE 2NR for life

WTK DRIVING TIPS

Postby cracker » November 19th, 2018, 10:29 am

Hi peeps, every now and then I go to Maracas bay since i am not accustomed to this area i drive very cautiously. However, i often find myself in situations concerning the brakes issue. Eg the brakes would get really hot and when i park i have to pump the foot brake to get brakes again
Do you all have any suggestions how to prevent these issues? Thanks

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Re: WTK DRIVING TIPS

Postby Slartibartfast » November 19th, 2018, 10:38 am

Use your gears when going downhill. If in an automatic you can go down to 2nd gear for most of the downhill parts. It will assist a lot with braking and keep the brakes from getting too hot.

If you drive a bit slower you can coast down most of the hills. Also avoid applying brakes constantly. Apply amd slow down, coast in 2nd gear until it speeds up a bit and apply brakes to slow down again. Rinse and repeat. Doing this gives your brakes time to cool down.

I onced reached maracas bay with my brakes still cool enough to touch by just doing that.

cracker
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cracker » November 19th, 2018, 10:47 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Use your gears when going downhill. If in an automatic you can go down to 2nd gear for most of the downhill parts. It will assist a lot with braking and keep the brakes from getting too hot.

If you drive a bit slower you can coast down most of the hills. Also avoid applying brakes constantly. Apply amd slow down, coast in 2nd gear until it speeds up a bit and apply brakes to slow down again. Rinse and repeat. Doing this gives your brakes time to cool down.

I onced reached maracas bay with my brakes still cool enough to touch by just doing that.
Hi thanks i have an auto, so use 2nd gear for downhill?

Dragist
punchin NOS

Postby Dragist » November 19th, 2018, 11:09 am

Also its MaracAs .

Good Advice other wise .

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 19th, 2018, 11:24 am

i dont know where macacus is, but maracas beach is nice.

cracker
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cracker » November 19th, 2018, 11:29 am

TheBoostLord wrote:i dont know where macacus is, but maracas beach is nice.
Typo sorry

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » November 19th, 2018, 1:50 pm

cracker wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Use your gears when going downhill. If in an automatic you can go down to 2nd gear for most of the downhill parts. It will assist a lot with braking and keep the brakes from getting too hot.

Hi thanks i have an auto, so use 2nd gear for downhill?
Yeah. It would limit the car speed to about 40km/hr in most of the downhill sections with only little to no use of the brakes.

Eagle View Enterprises
Street 2NR

Postby Eagle View Enterprises » November 19th, 2018, 5:42 pm

The manual for all vehicles under gear selections explain the lower gears for engine breaking. Even in automatic transmission. The phenomenon you witnessed is brake fade.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 19th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Engine braking helps considerably. 2nd gear is fine for most of these hills. Don't use L or 1.

Also remember that a braking system requires regular maintenance, and brake fluid should be checked and changed at least annually IMHO.

DOT4 or 5.1 fluid can help with a higher boiling point and reduce fade to some extent. Heavy braking downhill will boil fluid regardless.

pad fade can be caused by gas buildup between pad and rotor, and crosdrilled/slotted can help with this somewhat, but again, these are for extreme conditions during racing, not constant downhill stress.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » November 19th, 2018, 11:25 pm

Mash brakes as needed OP,

Let the rental company sort out any issues.

Keyser Soze
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Keyser Soze » November 20th, 2018, 6:27 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:Engine braking helps considerably. 2nd gear is fine for most of these hills. Don't use L or 1.

Also remember that a braking system requires regular maintenance, and brake fluid should be checked and changed at least annually IMHO.

DOT4 or 5.1 fluid can help with a higher boiling point and reduce fade to some extent. Heavy braking downhill will boil fluid regardless.

pad fade can be caused by gas buildup between pad and rotor, and crosdrilled/slotted can help with this somewhat, but again, these are for extreme conditions during racing, not constant downhill stress.

Info bolded and in red will assist you greatly along with the other info posted.
The boiling point of brake fluid is hardly ever considered by the average mechanic, and you should look into changing it once you have experienced brake fade.
Motorcycles specify that DOT 4 or higher be used due to its higher boiling point, which minimizes the chances of brake fade. And remember, the upgraded fluids that will be compatible with your ABS system are DOT 4 and 5.1, not DOT 5.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”