LF advice on vehicle fraudulent registration

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

5fwd
Street 2NR

LF advice on vehicle fraudulent registration

Postby 5fwd » November 28th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Guys,

I’m looking for advice from anyone who passed through a similar situation. The scenario is as follow:

I bought a vehicle from a company B in July, who had bought it from a company A. At the time of purchase it was not working and I am still working on the repairs. I was shown a photo copy of a certify copy showing the correct chassis number and number plate, showing the vehicle registered to company A.

Before I bought it I contacted the guy who acted on behalf of the original company A who advised me that as soon as I am ready to transfer they would support me to get it transferred to my name.

I paid company B and collected my receipt stating the vehicle ID and chassis numbers.

I now contacted company A a few weeks ago to follow up on getting the transfer done, but his story now changed and he said he would not be able to support me to get it transferred then subsequently stopped answering my calls.

I then went LO, both POS and Caroni to get an updated certify copy and they advised me that the document I have is fraudulent and the vehicle is not registered in the system and the number plate is actually used by a different vehicle.

I contacted company B and A and I am trying to get my money back.

I went to the police who told me I need to get a lawyer and contact fraud squad.

My contact person at company B also stopped taking my calls.

At this time I am looking for a good lawyer to get involved.

Anyone have any insight or recommendations on good lawyers or persons to involve?

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Re: LF advice on vehicle fraudulent registration

Postby ProtonPowder » November 28th, 2018, 9:41 pm

Sorry I cant be of any direct help, but in the future, always use this when verifying certified copy.
https://apps.mowt.gov.tt/apps/

Best of luck going forward

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 28th, 2018, 9:42 pm

damn, that sucks. i cant offer any advice on the issue but going forward, please use the online verification system to check the current owner and registration details before making a purchase.

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » November 28th, 2018, 10:04 pm

sorry to hear this story....go to the fraud squad! Any lawyer should be able to assist you...please shed some light on company A & B so we would not do business with them!

Btw this happened to someone i know...he bought a sports car and when he applied for a new c/c it showed up as a bike...he however sold it as parts and cut his losses

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 28th, 2018, 11:20 pm

if you have paperwork, like receipts with names/signatures go to fraud squad

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 29th, 2018, 6:45 am

this vehicle sounding like a "rights" thing went bad before OP got involved....OP what type of vehicle if you don't mind asking?? evo, S something or skyline

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » November 29th, 2018, 6:53 am

Next time verify BEFORE you buy

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » November 29th, 2018, 8:19 am

sell d vehicle fast an move on. check d man on caroni savanna road.

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » November 29th, 2018, 8:50 am

Sad you had to go through that man, just be a bit more careful next time

For me personally, If the vehicle cant reach license office, or cant be transferred without a bribe, I'm not buying. I only handing over the cheque to the person selling after I pay the transfer fee at the cashier

You see that "we guh organise to owner to come transfer next week" is failure. Let the seller organise that so you wouldnt have to fight up to find anybody

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 29th, 2018, 9:24 am

black start wrote:Sad you had to go through that man, just be a bit more careful next time

For me personally, If the vehicle cant reach license office, or cant be transferred without a bribe, I'm not buying. I only handing over the cheque to the person selling after I pay the transfer fee at the cashier

You see that "we guh organise to owner to come transfer next week" is failure. Let the seller organise that so you wouldnt have to fight up to find anybody

yep. I had to learn this the hard way, but cheque handover will be done at LO when we transfer. Doh like that, doh buy

5fwd
Street 2NR

Postby 5fwd » November 29th, 2018, 9:24 am

No sports cars involved... I held a copy of a certify copy in my hand at purchase and matched the chassis number to what was on the document, apparently that’s not enough now.

link
18 pounds of Boost

Postby link » November 29th, 2018, 11:38 am

5fwd wrote:No sports cars involved... I held a copy of a certify copy in my hand at purchase and matched the chassis number to what was on the document, apparently that’s not enough now.

but u still have not named 'company 'B' or 'A' ..............

H.S.E GuY
Street 2NR

Postby H.S.E GuY » November 29th, 2018, 12:40 pm

I deeply understand your your plight - many years ago I found myself wanting a really attractive Toyota Starlet. I did my due diligence and ran a search on it - turned out to be registered as a trailer. Long story it ended being sold for parts by the owner who in fact had purchased same from a dealer within the Freeport area :2gunfire:

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 29th, 2018, 2:43 pm

link wrote:
5fwd wrote:No sports cars involved... I held a copy of a certify copy in my hand at purchase and matched the chassis number to what was on the document, apparently that’s not enough now.

but u still have not named 'company 'B' or 'A' ..............

some men on caroni savannah road...shrugs shoulders

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » November 29th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Well that's just unfortunate. Lot's of people would get caught with a fake CC just because they no expecting it. The online MOWT tool is the way to go now. Also good to verify that a car you sold has been tranfered from you as well.

Like others said, cheque hand over at licensing office during transfer is safest. I also prepare a sales receipt, sales agreement and get a copy of the other person's DP or ID (and provide them with a copy of mine).

Any problems and well... walking away shoukd always be an option.

Oh well, lesson learned. Time to get a lawyer and head to fraud sqaud. Try to hit them for six. No mercy for scammers.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » November 29th, 2018, 4:19 pm

public embarrassment does help inno.... jus sayin...

since you have receipts go to fraud squad.... an let dem take over.... copy ur originals and store the originals in a safe place....always walk with copies....

sometimes things does jus go missing....in police hands....

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » November 29th, 2018, 4:23 pm

You can also verify their driver's permit using the online verification. It's not limited to vehicles alone

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » November 29th, 2018, 4:29 pm

black start wrote:You can also verify their driver's permit using the online verification. It's not limited to vehicles alone

ay i really really appreciate the list of fittings needed eah.... thanks for sending the list via pm

/end of sarcasm :lol: :lol:

*awaits inevitable phone call

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » November 29th, 2018, 4:30 pm

H.S.E GuY wrote:I deeply understand your your plight - many years ago I found myself wanting a really attractive Toyota Starlet. I did my due diligence and ran a search on it - turned out to be registered as a trailer. Long story it ended being sold for parts by the owner who in fact had purchased same from a dealer within the Freeport area :2gunfire:
I have always wanted a honda civic hatchback (eg or ek) as a project. I have had seven civic sedans (5 ek* and 2 es*) but never a hatchback

I have checked quite a few and you wouldnt believe the kind of shot men hitting you with these cars.

Men running without registration, firewall tampered with, running on sedan plates and claiming license office make a mistake

I too pretty for jail yes

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » November 29th, 2018, 4:32 pm

skylinechild wrote:
black start wrote:You can also verify their driver's permit using the online verification. It's not limited to vehicles alone

ay i really really appreciate the list of fittings needed eah.... thanks for sending the list via pm

/end of sarcasm

I eh see no pm...hard luck dey fada

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » November 29th, 2018, 4:35 pm

black start wrote:
skylinechild wrote:

/end of sarcasm

I eh see no pm...hard luck dey fada

see pm dated --- Sent: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:22 pm

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » November 29th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Nah

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 29th, 2018, 8:28 pm

dat tuff boi OP , sometimes u still do things by d book & get taken cause men out here so sick wid it & have their tracks well covered

like other said : lawyer & fraud squad

hopefully police allow to u keep it & u can parts it out , yes u lose some $ but something better than nothing

this is why alot of ppl buy f\used or new cars than risk buying from stink smartman individuals ....

5fwd
Street 2NR

Postby 5fwd » February 8th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I got a lawyer engaged and sent a pre action protocol letter, I also took my documents to fraud squad and they have started a criminal investigation. I am hoping they get to the bottom of it and I want to support the process to help get some of these dishonest persons to stop ripping people off.

Both companies are land developers, one is from princes town and the other is from sangre grande. I won’t call names on a public forum to prevent any legal issues on my part.

I really think we all have to do our part in reporting and engaging police to deter people from doing this type of activity. I can only imagine how many other people were ripped off by these guys if this is they way they operate. Land developers already have such a bad reputation for underhand behavior. Apparently someone forged a certify copy.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » February 8th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Bro, check yuh pm

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 8th, 2019, 8:45 pm

5fwd wrote:I got a lawyer engaged and sent a pre action protocol letter, I also took my documents to fraud squad and they have started a criminal investigation. I am hoping they get to the bottom of it and I want to support the process to help get some of these dishonest persons to stop ripping people off.

Both companies are land developers, one is from princes town and the other is from sangre grande. I won’t call names on a public forum to prevent any legal issues on my part.

I really think we all have to do our part in reporting and engaging police to deter people from doing this type of activity. I can only imagine how many other people were ripped off by these guys if this is they way they operate. Land developers already have such a bad reputation for underhand behavior. Apparently someone forged a certify copy.

would a criminal case result in compensation, or a civil case?

No_Name
Sweet on this forum

Postby No_Name » February 8th, 2019, 9:00 pm

I'm inna similar situation with a vehicle bought to be restored...
C/C inna reputable company name, but been sold & sold over n over...
Bought it, restoring presently, costing approx $30k inclusive of cost of the vehicle...
Coincidentally I shorted the seller some cash, to be paid upon completion&/or sale...
Hard times hit he rass jus b4 Xmas & calling me up for $$$ or some even, one seta sad stories...
Aaam Fella, NUTTIN fuh you until car is transferred in my name...!!!
Especially since my expenses way surpassed wat he had indicated to be fixed...

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 8th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Any written agreement^?

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » February 8th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Next thing after you finished it he makes a claim and has the car seized its legally his. Allyuh brave oui

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » February 8th, 2019, 11:01 pm

Damn, that's a mess. Hope you get this resolved OP. I can't even begin to imagine the headache involved.

5fwd wrote:I bought a vehicle from a company B in July, who had bought it from a company A. At the time of purchase it was not working and I am still working on the repairs. I was shown a photo copy of a certify copy showing the correct chassis number and number plate, showing the vehicle registered to company A.

I contacted company B and A and I am trying to get my money back.

I went to the police who told me I need to get a lawyer and contact fraud squad.

My contact person at company B also stopped taking my calls.

At this time I am looking for a good lawyer to get involved.

Anyone have any insight or recommendations on good lawyers or persons to involve?

Putting a whole new/Trini spin on "watching the company you keep."

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”