education vs experience

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

hassanvoyeau
Street 2NR

education vs experience

Postby hassanvoyeau » December 4th, 2018, 10:29 am

For me -

Context matters. Eg. Some persons are natural problem solvers while others have to be taught. Some persons get better with experience and some get worse. A person can have much experience at being a bad boss, for example.

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: education vs experience

Postby sMASH » December 4th, 2018, 10:44 am

each has their merit, and by themselves, can be very problematic. they enhance each other

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » December 4th, 2018, 12:05 pm

They complement each other but you have to know the ratio according to what you want to do otherwise one can end up being a disadvantage where you will regret wasting money and time. One set of degrees with less than 2 years experience is a problem. 10 years experience with only 2 CXC subjects is also a problem. If you are self employed and make good money, you can get away from most of these problems

I'm at a point now that Bachelor's is enough. Experience is where I am at and certifications will give me the edge.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » December 4th, 2018, 12:28 pm

The_Honourable wrote:They complement each other but you have to know the ratio according to what you want to do otherwise one can end up being a disadvantage where you will regret wasting money and time. One set of degrees with less than 2 years experience is a problem. 10 years experience with only 2 CXC subjects is also a problem. If you are self employed and make good money, you can get away from most of these problems

I'm at a point now that Bachelor's is enough. Experience is where I am at and certifications will give me the edge.

correct, after 20 years I finally got a degree in my field... and that bachelor's is indeed enough

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » December 4th, 2018, 1:28 pm

tr1ad wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:They complement each other but you have to know the ratio according to what you want to do otherwise one can end up being a disadvantage where you will regret wasting money and time. One set of degrees with less than 2 years experience is a problem. 10 years experience with only 2 CXC subjects is also a problem. If you are self employed and make good money, you can get away from most of these problems

correct, after 20 years I finally got a degree in my field... and that bachelor's is indeed enough

Same here- I have a Bachelor's which I got some time ago, it is completely unrelated to what I do now but having a degree was a necessity when applying for job. I have always been a natural problem solver and have to figure things out on a daily basis for both work and in my personal life- most of these 'problems/situations' you wont find in a book as some can be quite complex or some can be so stupid you wonder why people even bother ask, with this in mind I need to learn as I go along. As tr1ad said its about finding a balance and keeping up to date with whats going on in your industry and moving with it.

( I forget to mention I poor so dont listen to me)

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » December 4th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Think of both education and experience as part of a continuum and your aim is to balance in the middle.
Education does not necessarily stop at academic qualifications, but also ongoing professional training and development.
If you're close to either end of the continuum, some adjustments need to be made to balance the scale.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”