TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Cost of 600sq ft Green Heart or Mahogany Wood?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Cost of 600sq ft Green Heart or Mahogany Wood?

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 15th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Flooring is 600 square foot that is 30 feet long and 20 feet wide

What wood would be termite resistant and very dense?

Any other recommended wood? or recommendation for flooring besides concrete? the structure of the house while is concrete was originally designed for wood flooring

Another thing to consider is refurbishing the flooring isn't needed right now, so planting my own trees is also a consideration depending on how long the trees will take to grow
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on December 15th, 2018, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roadhog
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Cost of 600sq ft Green Heart or Mahogany Wood?

Postby roadhog » December 15th, 2018, 3:37 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 15th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Thanks but they not answering their phone I sent them a fb message.

Anybody here ever bought Green Heart wood in this country? how much you paid? i just need to know an average price and what wood is best for our climate for indoor flooring that won't be eaten by mites etc

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » December 15th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Bought greenheart at the beginning of this year for a gate, 1x6 @ $11 per foot or $132 per 12 foot length at Saran Sampath.

Greenheart is great but Teak is much easier to work with if that is a consideration.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 15th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:Bought greenheart at the beginning of this year for a gate, 1x6 @ $11 per foot or $132 per 12 foot length at Saran Sampath.

Greenheart is great but Teak is much easier to work with if that is a consideration.

hmm so thats approx $6600 for 600 square foot

I had no idea Green heart was so Cheap WTF

I say that price would be in the range of $30,000 and thing yes. I does hear man saying they concrete their flooring cause it cheaper than wood.......

And yes Teak is a consideration but honestly why buy teak when green heart is immune to termites etc
Teak might get destroyed by wood ants and stuff

So is Green Heart considered cheaper or more expensive than Purple Heart and Mahogany?

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 15th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Out of curiosity anybody ever bought purple heart? if so what price? and is it as durable to mites like Green Heart?

I remember years ago when my father bought teak posts from tanteak to fence a 2 acre land with barbed wire and that crap got destroyed so easily.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 15th, 2018, 5:38 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
Strugglerzinc wrote:Bought greenheart at the beginning of this year for a gate, 1x6 @ $11 per foot or $132 per 12 foot length at Saran Sampath.

I say that price would be in the range of $30,000 and thing yes.

You miscalculated. That is $11 per linear foot at $22 per sq ft for structural 1×6×12.

Although structural lumber can be used for rustic flooring, it is not a floor board. Additionally, a suspended wood floor requires joists, bridging, a subfloor, and then the flooring is installed.

You can also install wood flooring on top of concrete with a foam insulator sheet, subfloor and flooring.

There are some engineered floors that allow you to use only a foam insulator sheet and the flooring itself.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » December 15th, 2018, 5:46 pm

adnj wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:

I say that price would be in the range of $30,000 and thing yes.

You miscalculated. That is $11 per linear foot at $22 per sq ft for structural 1×6×12.

Although structural lumber can be used for rustic flooring, it is not a floor board. Additionally, a suspended wood floor requires joists, bridging, a subfloor, and then the flooring is installed.

You can also install wood flooring on top of concrete with a foam insulator sheet, subfloor and flooring.

There are some engineered floors that allow you to use only a foam insulator sheet and the flooring itself.

Yes that's linear foot at 1" x 6". That's $13200 for your size not counting any of the above. Groove and tongue flood boards are slightly more.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 15th, 2018, 6:18 pm

You guys need a class in lumber board foot pricing
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_foot

As mentioned a wooden floor needs proper sub structure joists etc
Otherwise it will shift and get creaky with moisture changes.
Forget Purpleheart, it is a real beyotch to work with
And may be dark for a floor.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » December 15th, 2018, 7:39 pm

If you planting your trees thats abt a 25-30 yrs.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 16th, 2018, 11:50 am

Yeah that planting trees is failure, the $13,000 approx sounds pretty good in all honesty I was expecting it to be way more. How the house was designed it wouldn't hold up a concrete decking, the posts and stuff while concrete only has 2 piece of steel and some posts has cracks in the concrete. Plus the beams are all wood aswell amazingly, the structure is a mix between wood and concrete and steel. So best bet is spend lets say $14K on average for green heart, the tongue and grove sounds great.

The floor already has great joists and all the structure in place, its just the current mora wood covering it has is old and broken up in certain places so is just to replace with the long rectangle 1 inch thick ones. My brother installed some white pine version in certain places where mites ate the original mora but when you walk you could see how badly it sinking. The density of that white pine is real crap compared to what they use to build the original floor.

This looks like a nice Green Heart flooring, any idea how they got it to look so glossy and nice?

that is airbrush vanish or something? look how nice that do.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 16th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Abraham’s lumber in Paramin usually has tongue and groove greenheart
629-2579

What’s the thickness of the existing mora boards?
Mora supposed to be fairly termite resistant
You need to sand the greenheart well before finishing
It is a wood with fine splinters and a kinda irritant chemical in it
The tiniest splinter with cause some irritation pain.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 16th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Sand, seal, and two coats of polyurethane. You can use a sprayer but brush application is more common.

More than likely that photo is of a pre-finished floorboard installation.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:This looks like a nice Green Heart flooring, any idea how they got it to look so glossy and nice?

that is airbrush vanish or something? look how nice that do.

ftitan
Street 2NR

Postby ftitan » December 16th, 2018, 12:54 pm

I went saransampath 2 weeks ago to get some greenheart/purpleheart for some projects. When I worked it out I believe the greenheart was $26 per board foot and purpleheart was $30 per board foot kiln dried.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Out of curiosity anybody ever bought purple heart? if so what price? and is it as durable to mites like Green Heart?

https://www.wood-database.com/purpleheart/

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:This looks like a nice Green Heart flooring, any idea how they got it to look so glossy and nice?

Several coats of a high-gloss finish followed by a buff/polish will get you the wet glassy look. I'm not too knowledgeable about wood flooring but I believe polyurethane finishes are the go-to finisher for it. Can get water poly which dries clearer and faster or oil poly will tend to yellow over time, dries longer, bad fumes but more durable. Might want to make sure it's a scratch resistant and flexible finish though..and also consider how easy it will be to repair/recoat the finish you're using.

Also, white pine is the softest wood we have..so yeah.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 16th, 2018, 1:25 pm

pugboy wrote:Abraham’s lumber in Paramin usually has tongue and groove greenheart
629-2579

What’s the thickness of the existing mora boards?
Mora supposed to be fairly termite resistant
You need to sand the greenheart well before finishing
It is a wood with fine splinters and a kinda irritant chemical in it
The tiniest splinter with cause some irritation pain.

I will ask my brother the thickness of the mora he pulled out of this flooring.

But from what i know its 1/2 inch thick and insanely hard.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 16th, 2018, 1:28 pm

ftitan wrote:I went saransampath 2 weeks ago to get some greenheart/purpleheart for some projects. When I worked it out I believe the greenheart was $26 per board foot and purpleheart was $30 per board foot kiln dried.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Out of curiosity anybody ever bought purple heart? if so what price? and is it as durable to mites like Green Heart?

https://www.wood-database.com/purpleheart/

Several coats of a high-gloss finish followed by a buff/polish will get you the wet glassy look. I'm not too knowledgeable about wood flooring but I believe polyurethane finishes are the go-to finisher for it. Can get water poly which dries clearer and faster or oil poly will tend to yellow over time, dries longer, bad fumes but more durable. Might want to make sure it's a scratch resistant and flexible finish though..and also consider how easy it will be to repair/recoat the finish you're using.

Also, white pine is the softest wood we have..so yeah.

WOW thanks you sure know your stuff, this will be very handy info for me.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 16th, 2018, 1:48 pm

I would suggest testing the finish, I have seen in more than one occasion where the finish eventually peels off

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 16th, 2018, 2:46 pm

I have heard of this. I would guess that the finisher didn't strip the wood oils prior to applying the finish. Tropical woods tend to be oily.
pugboy wrote:I would suggest testing the finish, I have seen in more than one occasion where the finish eventually peels off

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » December 16th, 2018, 3:54 pm

ED, just put some concrete board and tile it. Why spend all that money if the columns and beams not good? If it was me ,I would fix the foundation properly and then think about the floor.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 16th, 2018, 7:16 pm

rspann wrote:ED, just put some concrete board and tile it. Why spend all that money if the columns and beams not good? If it was me ,I would fix the foundation properly and then think about the floor.

What my father did in his house was put up new posts and beams well he build over an entire new house when he done he build the house over the old house and then break down the old house.

You saying with the current structure I could just put cement on this floor and tile it? don't think I ever seen something like that done but you may have a point.

Honestly nearly all the beams and columms is near perfect is only on the western side the wood beam there termite ate it so if anything had to change would just be that.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » December 16th, 2018, 7:26 pm

ED, there are options with the vinyl tiles, laminate, etc. Check thread, and do a forum search: viewtopic.php?t=607998

Wood flooring is complicated and expensive.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 16th, 2018, 8:06 pm

maj. tom wrote:ED, there are options with the vinyl tiles, laminate, etc. Check thread, and do a forum search: viewtopic.php?t=607998

Wood flooring is complicated and expensive.

Interesting, didn't know quality vinyl was even a thing, let alone tiles. Always hated even the idea of vinyl cause the ones everybody has is those cheap roll out ones

Will check it out.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » December 16th, 2018, 8:47 pm

I bought a house that had a wood floor and concrete posts just like yours, and a guy who does work for me cut right around the edge of the floor, cut through the joists ,everything, dropped it four inches then propped the whole thing with bamboo props. He dug out the wood from in the walls, made holes in the walls ,tied a steel mat and cast the whole floor. If you saw it you would think that the house was built with a concrete floor.

Underneath was so good that only the creases between the wood showed as faint lines. I just used some textured coating on it ,no need for ceiling. Best thing about that job was that the roof was removed as it was bad ,so we used a boom pump through the open top to cast.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » December 17th, 2018, 5:47 am

I did a piece of my floor in Teak, (700'+) came out real nice. I used 1X4 slabs and attach it to the concrete.

Right now it needs a coat of varnish. I used a water based varnish from FT Farfan, real easy to put on with the applicator mop.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 17th, 2018, 8:16 am

Rspann is suggesting using concrete board (also known as cement board or ply-cem) as an underlayment for tile.

This is an excellent and economical option for covering a damaged floor that has a solid substructure. I have used the same method for replacing vinyl flooring with marble tile.

The same method works very well for replacing countertops.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
rspann wrote:ED, just put some concrete board and tile it. Why spend all that money if the columns and beams not good? If it was me ,I would fix the foundation properly and then think about the floor.

What my father did in his house was put up new posts and beams well he build over an entire new house when he done he build the house over the old house and then break down the old house.

You saying with the current structure I could just put cement on this floor and tile it? don't think I ever seen something like that done but you may have a point.

Honestly nearly all the beams and columms is near perfect is only on the western side the wood beam there termite ate it so if anything had to change would just be that.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » December 17th, 2018, 11:22 am

jackal wrote:I did a piece of my floor in Teak, (700'+) came out real nice. I used 1X4 slabs and attach it to the concrete.

Right now it needs a coat of varnish. I used a water based varnish from FT Farfan, real easy to put on with the applicator mop.

How did you secure it to the floor? did you place support under the teaks or nailed it straight onto the concrete?

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » December 17th, 2018, 8:33 pm

SNIPER 3000 wrote:
jackal wrote:I did a piece of my floor in Teak, (700'+) came out real nice. I used 1X4 slabs and attach it to the concrete.

How did you secure it to the floor? did you place support under the teaks or nailed it straight onto the concrete?

When I was leveling the floor, I crabbed in 2" strips throughout the floor and then attached the floor to it.

Another option is to float the floor using the same technique.

There is another option, cut the Teak into 2" strips and glue them directly to the concrete floor, then sand it smooth. This is one the best option, usually you would cut the strips into 0.5" thick pieces.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”