Forums

Big savings if methanol used as fuel additive—MHTL

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

wickedtuna
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Big savings if methanol used as fuel additive—MHTL

Postby wickedtuna » January 25th, 2019, 1:24 am

Gaso­line prices could go down if T&T de­cides to use methanol as five per cent its fu­el mix­ture.

This was re­vealed by Vishard Chan­dool, man­ag­er tech­ni­cal and cor­po­rate ser­vices Methanol Hold­ings Trinidad Ltd, who told a methanol con­fer­ence on Thurs­day that the coun­try could save as much as a quar­ter bil­lion dol­lars on an an­nu­al ba­sis if the coun­try de­cides to blend five per cent of its fu­el with methanol.

This sav­ings, he said, can then be passed on­to mo­torists.

Methanol Hold­ings along with its par­ent com­pa­ny Pro­man part­nered with the Methanol In­sti­tute to hold the con­fer­ence on Thurs­day at the Hy­att Re­gency.

The con­fer­ence was held to dis­cuss the po­ten­tial of the use of methanol as a fu­el in ve­hi­cles.

Pan­el­lists ex­plained that Trinidad and To­ba­go is one of the largest ex­porters of methanol in the world and ex­ports near­ly all of its methanol while it is now an im­porter of fu­el for both lo­cal con­sump­tion and ex­port to the Cari­com mar­ket.

The pan­el which in­clud­ed rep­re­sen­ta­tives from Chi­na, Is­rael and the Methanol In­sti­tute in­sist­ed that the mod­ern ve­hi­cles are al­ready man­u­fac­tured to al­low for al­co­hol mixed in the fu­el and point­ed to Chi­na in which as much as 15 per cent of its fu­el is methanol.

The con­fer­ence was told that methanol prices have al­ways trend­ed low­er than gaso­line and there was noth­ing that sug­gests the trend would change.

It is the low­er price for methanol that favours low­er gaso­line and diesel prices at the pump.

They al­so not­ed that the wor­ries about the cor­ro­sive­ness of methanol was not an is­sue and that it will be rel­a­tive­ly in­ex­pen­sive to make the switch at the pumps. The in­sti­tute plans to en­gage stake­hold­ers in­clud­ing the Gov­ern­ment and the wider pub­lic on the is­sue.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/big-savi ... 252f3d4b01

K_J_R
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Big savings if methanol used as fuel additive—MHTL - Trinidad Guardian

Postby K_J_R » January 25th, 2019, 6:46 am

it was an additive locally until petrotron shutdown. they used it in MTBE in premium gas.

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » January 25th, 2019, 7:29 am

K_J_R wrote:it was an additive locally until petrotron shutdown. they used it in MTBE in premium gas.

MTBE plant was shut down years before the refinery was closed bro. It had serious effects on groundwater. Get your facts straightforward next time.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » January 25th, 2019, 9:07 am

I using methanol years now as an additive

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 26th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Big savings usually eventually equate to big money to be made, but the question is who gets the savings and who makes the money.
Somewhere I read a study on the pros and cons of ethanol and methanol in internal combustion engines, with testing done with fuels containing different levls of ethanol, methanol and gasoline, from 10% ethanol or methanol added, all the way up to 85%.
Their findings were that up to a certain point about 10%, adding methanol or ethanol to fuel is fine, while higher mixtures tend to increase wear on pistons and cylinder walls with less carbon buildup as the percentage added is increased. No decrease in engine performance or mpg rates or emissions was noted at lower level mixtures, and higher mixtures had lower emissions.
nuttn wrong with using it as a fuel additive, as long as it's a consistent mix. but either way the 5% they talking about I don't think would be a bad idea.

I seriously doubt it go send the price at the pump down if it becomes available. Government will save a half cent on the dollar and Joe Public still gonna have his nutz in the vise

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » January 26th, 2019, 6:24 pm

88sins wrote:Big savings usually eventually equate to big money to be made, but the question is who gets the savings and who makes the money.
Somewhere I read a study on the pros and cons of ethanol and methanol in internal combustion engines, with testing done with fuels containing different levls of ethanol, methanol and gasoline, from 10% ethanol or methanol added, all the way up to 85%.
Their findings were that up to a certain point about 10%, adding methanol or ethanol to fuel is fine, while higher mixtures tend to increase wear on pistons and cylinder walls with less carbon buildup as the percentage added is increased. No decrease in engine performance or mpg rates or emissions was noted at lower level mixtures, and higher mixtures had lower emissions.
nuttn wrong with using it as a fuel additive, as long as it's a consistent mix. but either way the 5% they talking about I don't think would be a bad idea.

I seriously doubt it go send the price at the pump down if it becomes available. Government will save a half cent on the dollar and Joe Public still gonna have his nutz in the vise
Engineering explained had it a while ago, e85 is good high octane fuel.. however to get the same power output as gasoline, you have to use significantly more e85

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 26th, 2019, 8:05 pm

infinite_RPM wrote:
88sins wrote:Big savings usually eventually equate to big money to be made, but the question is who gets the savings and who makes the money.

Engineering explained had it a while ago, e85 is good high octane fuel.. however to get the same power output as gasoline, you have to use significantly more e85

Thats ethanol.
Methanol is something else.
From what I read methanol is something you dont want too much off in your tanks. Can corrode lines and damage seals.
There are methanol injection systems that inject it right before it enters the combustion chamber. Can use it to increase the octane number on pump gas and for cooling intake charge mixed 50:50 with water. After a moderately spirited run my engine bay is cooler than that of my turbo diesel. before the system install you couldnt put your face near that turbo after a run, it was hot as hell.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Big savings if methanol used as fuel additive—MHTL

Postby 88sins » January 26th, 2019, 11:04 pm

correct nerve
@infinite
ethanol is basically a form of alcohol with about 70-80% the energy equivalent of pure gasoline, think of methanol as its less efficient and badminded cousin.
using the 5% would be tolerable, but who's to say if the level would be increased without telling the consumer. too much methanol will shorten your engines lifespan due to corrosion of the tops of the cylinder walls. problem is not all blocks made the same, what would work for a long time in a Mitsubishi or Honda or Toyota engine might not work as well or as long in a Chevy or Ford engine

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » January 27th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Methanol in a high percentage would be destructive as an additive in fuel in older cars though.. It should be ok in small quantities though.. it helps keep parts of the engine clean..

we have a forester tuned with water meth in excess of 10 years.. and all we do in that car is fluid changes, no mechanical failure whatsoever..

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 27th, 2019, 1:13 pm

But the wm kit injects it after all the seals etc. Read that meth is corrosive to fuel lines etc hence the system having its own lines.
E85, widely used as fuel burns faster than traditional gasoline but its cheaper. Almost half the price and half the mileage per gallon. Comes up about the same but you can make more power with e85, its resistant to knock better than gasoline, runs cooler and cleans as it does so.
I say bring the damn corn fuel.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 28th, 2019, 9:12 pm

nervewrecker wrote:But the wm kit injects it after all the seals etc. Read that meth is corrosive to fuel lines etc hence the system having its own lines.
E85, widely used as fuel burns faster than traditional gasoline but its cheaper. Almost half the price and half the mileage per gallon. Comes up about the same but you can make more power with e85, its resistant to knock better than gasoline, runs cooler and cleans as it does so.

:lol:

the push to get ppl to run cng failed miserably, but ppl would come to terms with ethanol laced fuel easily enough if it's substantially cheaper at the pump. Problem is that to get it cheaper at the pump, the ratio of E:G gonna have to be high, & most trinis eh know or want to know nuttn about ethanol as a fuel.

I could hear the taxi drivers cussin now

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 28th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Cng coming, wait for it.

Ansa didnt bring all them cng city for style.
Cng kits being installed daily.

Its the fuel they gunna push. Ah hear ah talk from a guy who know a guy who know a guy. Feel I read the play already.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » January 28th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Just reminding people...Methanol is not Ethanol
One requires natural gas to make the other is processed from corn/wheat/sugarcane

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 29th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Methanol is corrosive and should only be used in small quantities, unless you're running a top fuel dragster or funny car.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 29th, 2019, 9:03 pm

kamakazi wrote:Just reminding people...Methanol is not Ethanol
One requires natural gas to make the other is processed from corn/wheat/sugarcane
Ethanol can also be produced from natural gas.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » January 30th, 2019, 1:14 am

adnj wrote:
kamakazi wrote:Just reminding people...Methanol is not Ethanol
Ethanol can also be produced from natural gas.
You are correct.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » January 30th, 2019, 5:46 am

My vehicle specifies no methanol blends can be used in the fuel system. Also by the gas tank shows E5 and E10 being allowed. (5 and 10% ethanol)

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » January 30th, 2019, 6:33 am

88sins wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:But the wm kit injects it after all the seals etc. Read that meth is corrosive to fuel lines etc hence the system having its own lines.

:lol:

the push to get ppl to run cng failed miserably, but ppl would come to terms with ethanol laced fuel easily enough if it's substantially cheaper at the pump. Problem is that to get it cheaper at the pump, the ratio of E:G gonna have to be high, & most trinis eh know or want to know nuttn about ethanol as a fuel.

I could hear the taxi drivers cussin now

And a whole different supply chain.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » January 30th, 2019, 9:30 am

:wink: All now short man muss be getting a hard-ON with the smell of Methanol-TAX to be engineered .

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » January 31st, 2019, 12:00 am

TurboSingh12 wrote:I using methanol years now as an additive

Stop lying you fool.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”