Forums

Cheap and smelly leg and thigh chicken quarters

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

dogg
Riding on 17's

Cheap and smelly leg and thigh chicken quarters

Postby dogg » February 24th, 2016, 12:53 pm

Which agency is responsible for checking the safety of the dumped chicken quarters that are flooding the market?
Are these things safe for consumption? how long have they been in "storage" before being dumped here?

I notice now that most Chinese restaurants and bbq joints etc ar no longer offering breast/wing combos. It seems they are all on the dumped chicken wagon. The prices on these things are way lower than the local product.

Anyone has the inside scoop? I avoid buying chicken from certain places because of this.
Last edited by dogg on March 19th, 2019, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Cheap leg and thigh chicken quarters

Postby Dizzy28 » February 24th, 2016, 12:55 pm

How do you know they have been dumped??

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 24th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:How do you know they have been dumped??

Why only the concern for chicken parts? what about other imported meat?

Trini Hookah
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Trini Hookah » February 24th, 2016, 1:16 pm

cheapchickenpartstt.com

Check here OP

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » February 24th, 2016, 1:24 pm

bendsmallfarmanimals.com

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 24th, 2016, 1:42 pm

What I have noticed is that in some Chinese restaurants when you buy the chicken other than Chinese style (the ones in sauces that usually bone less) the chicken has the consistency of the subway's chicken i.e. highly processed. I have seen tens of empty Tyson's boxes outside one of those Chinese restaurants on SMR Curepe so I assume they buying some kind of processed meat.

daas
Shifting into 6th

Postby daas » February 24th, 2016, 1:43 pm

Vegetarian here.

Unaffected.

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » February 24th, 2016, 1:45 pm

Dogg...are you looking for bones?

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » February 24th, 2016, 1:48 pm

It's a dogg eat dogg world.

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » February 24th, 2016, 1:49 pm

But this dogg not eating chicken it seems.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » February 24th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Putin banned chicken imports from the U.S. a couple years ago. Russia was the main importer of US leg and thigh quarters its more popular there. The U.S. prefers breast so there's always an oversupply of leg and thigh quarters. Since then the US has been dumping them wherever there are willing takers.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » February 24th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Inside for deal on cheap chicken

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » February 24th, 2016, 2:10 pm

is it that Trinis are so accustomed to getting raped on prices that anytime something is cheaper they automatically assume something is wrong with it? What local chicken processor could compete with Tyson for sheer economies of scale? A case of Tyson Leg and thigh quarters is bet $99-130 depending on who you buy from retail, it comes with bet 28-34 quarters in it, compare that to local chicken, now I'd imagine it's even cheaper when bought wholesale as most food sellers would buy, so it's a no-brainer from a business perspective

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » February 24th, 2016, 2:16 pm

Everybody rushing for Stackhouse leg/thigh but ill stick to my home grown chickens

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 24th, 2016, 2:32 pm

dogg wrote:

Putin banned chicken imports from the U.S. a couple years ago. Russia was the main importer of US leg and thigh quarters its more popular there. The U.S. prefers breast so there's always an oversupply of leg and thigh quarters. Since then the US has been dumping them wherever there are willing takers.

If you have information that chicken is being dumped here i.e. being sold here cheaper than in the producer's home market or being sold here at lower than the cost of production and you feel really strongly about it I suggest you contact the -
The Fair Trading Unit
Ministry of Trade and Industry
Nicholas Tower, PoS
623-2931

Investigating dumping is their responsibility.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » February 24th, 2016, 2:49 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
dogg wrote:

If you have information that chicken is being dumped here i.e. being sold here cheaper than in the producer's home market or being sold here at lower than the cost of production and you feel really strongly about it I suggest you contact the -
The Fair Trading Unit
Nicholas Tower, PoS
623-2931

I'm all for cheaper food, my only concern is whether they are properly checked

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 24th, 2016, 3:09 pm

dogg wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
dogg wrote:

The Fair Trading Unit
Nicholas Tower, PoS
623-2931

I'm all for cheaper food, my only concern is whether they are properly checked

If its quality you concerned with you can contact -
The Office of the Chief Veterinary Officer
Animal Production and Health Division
Ministry of Food Production
80 Abercromby Street, Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Tel. (868) 625-5997/1473
Fax. (868) 625-5993
E-mail: aphmalmr@tstt.net.tt
Opening hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays

Chemistry, Food and Drug Division of the Ministry of Health.
Chemistry, Food and Drugs Division
Ministry of Health
92 Frederick Street
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Tel - (868) 624-5968 or (868) 623-5242
Fax - (868) 623-2477
E-mail - cfdd@carib-link.net

They are both responsible for the issuing of licences to import meat.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 24th, 2016, 3:25 pm

them chinese restaurant making a killing
you probably get maybe one piece of chicken in a container of
noodles and veggies, they chop up the chicken to spread it out

playerskrew
Riding on 17's

Postby playerskrew » February 24th, 2016, 3:50 pm

This thread is pointless.
Great is the PNM

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 24th, 2016, 4:14 pm

eliteauto wrote:is it that Trinis are so accustomed to getting raped on prices that anytime something is cheaper they automatically assume something is wrong with it? What local chicken processor could compete with Tyson for sheer economies of scale? A case of Tyson Leg and thigh quarters is bet $99-130 depending on who you buy from retail, it comes with bet 28-34 quarters in it, compare that to local chicken, now I'd imagine it's even cheaper when bought wholesale as most food sellers would buy, so it's a no-brainer from a business perspective

Only problem is that Tyson leg and thigh is incredibly disgusting smells like the rectum of a rotten hog in pool of sheit and piss. Makes you feel to vomit unless it is cooked by Chinese restaurants who attempt to put 1 ton of MSG and gutter oil to hide the smell and disgusting taste and still you can notice it.

It is for this reason I have stopped buying from all restaurants. Given the quality and health concerns between the imported and local I would say the price of local is fine even though it sells for twice the price. No issue paying $13 for a pack of calypso fine choice in the grocery with a breast and leg combo to make up a small cook.

OP you have made a very wise decision by not supporting this rotten leg and thigh only Chinese restaurants. But be careful there also exist breast and wing in this imported chicken, if you notice the pieces hard and bigger than normal, avoid at all cost. Your health is in great danger with this imported chicken.
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on February 24th, 2016, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » February 24th, 2016, 4:19 pm

Dogg have a bone to pick.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » February 24th, 2016, 4:22 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
eliteauto wrote:is it that Trinis are so accustomed to getting raped on prices that anytime something is cheaper they automatically assume something is wrong with it? What local chicken processor could compete with Tyson for sheer economies of scale? A case of Tyson Leg and thigh quarters is bet $99-130 depending on who you buy from retail, it comes with bet 28-34 quarters in it, compare that to local chicken, now I'd imagine it's even cheaper when bought wholesale as most food sellers would buy, so it's a no-brainer from a business perspective

Only problem is that Tyson leg and thigh is incredibly disgusting smells like the rectum of a rotten hog in pool of sheit and piss. Makes you feel to vomit unless it is cooked by Chinese restaurants who attempt to put 1 ton of MSG and gutter oil to hide the smell and disgusting taste and still you can notice it.

It is for this reason I have stopped buying from all restaurants. Given the quality and health concerns between the imported and local I would say the price of local is fine even though it sells for twice the price. No issue paying $13 for a pack of calypso fine choice in the grocery with a breast and leg combo to make up a small cook.

OP you have made a very wise decision by not supporting this rotten leg and thigh only Chinese restaurants. But be careful there also exist breast and wing in this imported chicken, if you notice the pieces hard and bigger than normal, avoid at all cost. Your health is in great danger with this imported chicken.

this!
it smells like it was thawed out, left out for a day at room temperature and then refrozen!

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » February 24th, 2016, 4:24 pm

RBphoto wrote:Dogg have a bone to pick.

dread, I just picky with food.
I don't even buy pricemart's frozen pork, and i'm a pork man.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 24th, 2016, 4:25 pm

dogg wrote:I'm all for cheaper food, my only concern is whether they are properly checked

There is noway to know this for certain, I do not trust people at all when it comes to food. People will do anything to "eat ah food" if they can cook rotten meat to the point where it won't make you sick they will do it instead of tossing it out.

Your only bet is to buy fresh chicken local from any of those poultry shops killing it on the spot. Or buy and kill it yourself. We have very good quality stuff locally and many people don't realize this our farmers do things in a more traditional way so its safer and healthier and well the best part don't taste like rotten hog ass.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 24th, 2016, 4:29 pm

dogg wrote:
this!
it smells like it was thawed out, left out for a day at room temperature and then refrozen!

Yup I bought $27 in that leg and thigh first time at Trini Style here in St Helena next to them is Ali's meat shop I believe same people own the 2. (They sell $27 worth minimum because they know you ain't coming back once you taste it)

Went home and clean it, smelling like rotten hog ass, so I say wow maybe I not using enough vinegar well I load it with vinegar same thing I then soak it again in LIME. SAME THING smell like ass, I put it to bake I say maybe it has to cook properly to get rid of the smell.

I make one bite and my god never have I eaten something so disgusting in my life. I spit it out and dump everything, never touched imported meat since that day. Infact is that what cause me to almost turn vegan. But I go buy my fine choice $13 calypso at the local mini mart when I wanna make a small cook or I buy a whole chicken at the local poultry shop. Atleast I know my health safe who dotish enough to support all them fast food outlets selling this nasty meat let them go right ahead padner.

amarmoonasar21
Street 2NR

Postby amarmoonasar21 » February 24th, 2016, 4:32 pm

I did buy a box of legs to bbq an its the worst dont want to see eat that for free i also read in the box there is an expiry date. An well the fresh chicken is the best sunday i buy ah chicken 4.5 lbs $55 its abit expensive

sharadu2
Street 2NR

Postby sharadu2 » February 24th, 2016, 5:12 pm

Yuh have to look at the PRODUCTION DATE on the foreign chicken. Have chicken with a 0-60 days and they taste just like local. These are basically more expensive so hardly anyone brings them.
Many school feeding kitchens use these chickens cause you can't depend on the local market to supply.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 24th, 2016, 5:14 pm

tbh tyson and those big meat processors are very heavily monitored in the US
chicken probably does have a different taste to local but
very likely the local handling is at fault to a large extent

thawing a case of meat pieces frozen together as a block is no easy matter
they probably leave it outside to melt overnight or something
which will have the outer pieces melted to room temp long before the inside pieces
all kind of spoilage happening.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » February 24th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Correct american chicken has a different smell is is more slimy. Tried the tyson leg and thigh seemed to be good value for money at $119 for 24 quarters. However its not for bbquin sizes are too big for gas or charcoal grills. Has to be steamed otherwise chicken will dry out and burn before the centre is cooked properly. Needs to be heavily seasoned and marninated to get the flavor into the meat. Has to be washed heavily with lime to get out most of the sliminess and smell. Even after all that the taste just wasnt there. Bottom line i will stick to buying my bbq quarters from arawak.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 24th, 2016, 6:05 pm

^ I try soaking in lime and vinegar, extra!! I try grilling it and I grill it down to the bone.

Still the nasty stink slimely rotten hog anus smell was still there. Will never touch that dog sheit ever again.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”