Forums

TTOC: You can't take photos of mas costumes without our permission

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

TTOC: You can't take photos of mas costumes without our permission

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 14th, 2019, 7:26 pm

$250,000 or a ten-year im­pris­on­ment if caught.

Video­g­ra­phers, pho­tog­ra­phers, broad­cast­ers and so­cial me­dia users (in­clud­ing mem­bers of the pub­lic) who in­tend to cap­ture any as­pect of work of mas use in any form of com­mer­cial in­tent di­rect­ly or in­di­rect­ly with­out prop­er ac­cred­i­ta­tion for this year’s Car­ni­val can face a hefty fine of $250,000 or a ten-year im­pris­on­ment.

This was the warn­ing sent yes­ter­day dur­ing a me­dia con­fer­ence by pres­i­dent of the T&T Copy­right Col­lec­tion Or­gan­i­sa­tion Dr Vi­jay Ram­lal.

The me­dia con­fer­ence was held at the Queen’s Park Sa­van­nah. Al­so, present was pres­i­dent of the T&T Car­ni­val Bands As­so­ci­a­tion (TTC­BA) Ger­ard Weekes.

Ram­lal ex­plained that for many years there has been three dis­tinct ar­eas of In­tel­lec­tu­al Prop­er­ty Pro­tec­tion: Copy­right, La­belling right and works of mas.

Weekes said over the years there has been a lot of dis­re­spect for this as­pect of copy­right and added that the in­ten­tion of the TTC­BA from this year on is to right the wrong.

He said, “Mem­bers of the mas fra­ter­ni­ty have not been able to ben­e­fit from copy­right is­sues that plague the fra­ter­ni­ty. For too long it has been a sit­u­a­tion where we see all of our art­work, de­signs be­ing pro­duced in mag­a­zines and be­ing pho­tographed and streamed and the stake­hold­ers or the mas prac­ti­tion­ers have not been ben­e­fit­ting.”

“The TTOC is the on­ly au­tho­rised body in T&T ca­pa­ble of deal­ing with Works of Mas and col­lect­ing the rights for same. It is im­por­tant for mem­bers of the pub­lic both for­eign and lo­cal who are com­ing of have the in­ten­tions of cap­tur­ing any form of pho­tog­ra­phy, videog­ra­phy doc­u­men­tary get ac­cred­it­ed be­come ac­cred­it­ed so we can as­sist in hav­ing mas prac­ti­tion­ers ben­e­fit­ting,” he added.

Ram­lal said there is a se­ri­ous in­fringe­ment of rights and added that he is hop­ing for en­force­ment from this year.

Ram­lal al­so used the op­por­tu­ni­ty to dis­close that the Na­tion­al Car­ni­val Com­mis­sion (NCC) still owes them over $475,000 from last year’s sea­son.

- by Rhondor Dowlat

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/don ... ssion-ttoc

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Re: TTOC: You can't take photos of mas costumes without our permission

Postby paid_influencer » February 14th, 2019, 7:41 pm

if you are a lawyer without a lucrative job, start your own "copyright authority"

this carnival, it have at least 3 "copyright authority" to pay: COTT, TTCO, and Awesome Copyright.

next year there may be more, depending on how much lawyers jump up in the dance.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 14th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Every year it’s the same proclaimations
I wonder how much they charge soca artistes to register with them

On the other hand every single masqueraded should be paid royalties from these so-called authorities

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » February 14th, 2019, 8:11 pm

i like how he threatens foreigners with legal action.

go to america and tell the judge you own "rights to works of mas". they will laugh you out the building with that garbage.

only in trinidad "works of mas" is a thing with legally protected status.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 14th, 2019, 9:22 pm

They just out to make a lil end and happy to get the soca artistes to pay annual fees
Plus any threat fees collected from fetes etc
One year one of them threaten to shutdown Fatima all inclusive

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » February 14th, 2019, 9:31 pm

TTOC on some malarkey...ent they used to charge $2500 for the license but not much ppl applied for it so in 2017 they dropped it to $500 with hope to get more "social media" bloggers etc to pay for it?

I don't know what they planning to charge this year, but every year this topic comes up, they had meetings etc. I remember in 2015 NCC had a similar license if you wanted to shoot on the stage. FototakeOuters say "Oh? OK!.." and promptly went and shoot on the road.

At this rate...who’s to stop them from saying you can’t take pics of Maracas Bay - cause the government owns it??

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » February 15th, 2019, 12:31 am

So for a layman like myself could someone clarify
does this mean i cannot take pictures of the king and queen of the band ?
or i cant take pictures of people in the band in their costume, ? including myself or family members ?

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » February 15th, 2019, 3:29 am

99% of bandmembers unphotogenic anyhow

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 15th, 2019, 4:40 am

Correct, once the picture contains content of carnival
E.g. Costumes, kings, queens, beads, bikini

You can take the pic , just need to go pay them their extortion fee

hong kong phooey wrote:So for a layman like myself could someone clarify
or i cant take pictures of people in the band in their costume, ? including myself or family members ?

justheretoreadthecomments
Street 2NR

Postby justheretoreadthecomments » February 15th, 2019, 6:45 am

hong kong phooey wrote:So for a layman like myself could someone clarify

well the article says " com­mer­cial in­tent di­rect­ly or in­di­rect­ly" so its a matter of defining what is same :shock:

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » February 15th, 2019, 7:07 am

dem mas men s rest hud pay the foreigners to take pictures of they lil jokey mas an carnival and showing it to therest of the world cause clearly ministy of tourism doh do one fork to showcase trinidad. the rest of world like new orleans or rio have bigger and better carnival. everyone shud stop supporting the mas and the soca and just let carnival turn to two days ah rum drinking before lent.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » February 15th, 2019, 8:12 am

Steups...every year is the same ol' talk. IIRC after the public beatup last year they backtrack and say you can take pictures so long as you don't profit from it which is just common sense...:|

FordeG
3NE 2NR for life

Postby FordeG » February 15th, 2019, 8:39 am

screwbash wrote:dem mas men s rest hud pay the foreigners to take pictures of they lil jokey mas an carnival and showing it to therest of the world cause clearly ministy of tourism doh do one fork to showcase trinidad. the rest of world like new orleans or rio have bigger and better carnival. everyone shud stop supporting the mas and the soca and just let carnival turn to two days ah rum drinking before lent.

Exactly, why do even bother. Our carnival is a Pappy show for people wanting to play stush and parade around drink and half naked. I cannot see the appeal of this and it really must be for stupid people. I can't see any sane person willing to spend 5000 for this!! And we shut down the entire country for this. Such madness.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » February 15th, 2019, 9:03 am

Take pics --> Upload to Imgur --> Reference Imgur as the source of the pics and carry on with business as usual.

How are they going to prove that the person taking the picture benefited from it?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 15th, 2019, 9:13 am

They don’t care about that
These folks have other jobs and this is just an annual thug hustle to make some quick change out of local photogs who coward and bend to their threats

Slartibartfast wrote:Take pics --> Upload to Imgur --> Reference Imgur as the source of the pics and carry on with business as usual.

How are they going to prove that the person taking the picture benefited from it?

justheretoreadthecomments
Street 2NR

Postby justheretoreadthecomments » February 15th, 2019, 10:39 am

FordeG wrote:
screwbash wrote:dem mas men s rest hud pay the foreigners to take pictures of they lil jokey mas an carnival and showing it to therest of the world cause clearly ministy of tourism doh do one fork to showcase trinidad. the rest of world like new orleans or rio have bigger and better carnival. everyone shud stop supporting the mas and the soca and just let carnival turn to two days ah rum drinking before lent.

Exactly, why do even bother. Our carnival is a Pappy show for people wanting to play stush and parade around drink and half naked. I cannot see the appeal of this and it really must be for stupid people. I can't see any sane person willing to spend 5000 for this!! And we shut down the entire country for this. Such madness.

There's a ched to unleash your better -than-thou complex here.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=738562

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » February 15th, 2019, 11:04 am

like someone have indigestion

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » February 15th, 2019, 11:08 am

FordeG wrote:

Tdad Cval iz far and away better than Norleans Mardi Gras...

COTT and the rest are gangstas...looking to eat-ah-food.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » February 15th, 2019, 11:10 am

Monk BANzai wrote:TTOC on some malarkey...ent they used to charge $2500 for the license but not much ppl applied for it so in 2017 they dropped it to $500 with hope to get more "social media" bloggers etc to pay for it?

I don't know what they planning to charge this year, but every year this topic comes up, they had meetings etc. I remember in 2015 NCC had a similar license if you wanted to shoot on the stage. FototakeOuters say "Oh? OK!.." and promptly went and shoot on the road.

At this rate...who’s to stop them from saying you can’t take pics of Maracas Bay - cause the government owns it??

If you're planning to use the pics/video for commercial use to make money, then you would require a license similar to how the US has their filming permits.

If it's personal pics for your family vacation album you don't need a permit.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » February 15th, 2019, 11:45 am

Under all seriousness the idea of collecting royalties on carnival is not a bad idea by itself. But what is being done with the royalties collected?

That punishment kinda steep though. You really going to throw a man in jail for taking pics?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 15th, 2019, 12:16 pm

justheretoreadthecomments wrote:
FordeG wrote:

There's a ched to unleash your better -than-thou complex here.

http://www.trinituner.com/v4/forums/vie ... 4&t=738562

nope, he eh wanted there either :lol:

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 15th, 2019, 12:45 pm

teems1 wrote:
Monk BANzai wrote:TTOC on some malarkey...ent they used to charge $2500 for the license but not much ppl applied for it so in 2017 they dropped it to $500 with hope to get more "social media" bloggers etc to pay for it?

If you're planning to use the pics/video for commercial use to make money, then you would require a license similar to how the US has their filming permits.

If a photographer pays for a permit, takes a photo of mas and then sells that photo to Maco Magazine (another commercial entity) to publish. What are the legal ramifications there?

lalloboy101
Sweet on this forum

Postby lalloboy101 » February 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm

so if I playing mass and take a selfie, I could get charge for taking photo of myself if I choose to sell it

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » February 15th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
teems1 wrote:

If a photographer pays for a permit, takes a photo of mas and then sells that photo to Maco Magazine (another commercial entity) to publish. What are the legal ramifications there?

No idea.

IANAL but I do know there is a permit system in place in the US if you're to film in public areas. Film scouts usually do this grunt work but it has to be done otherwise there may be consequences.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » February 15th, 2019, 7:13 pm

COTT yearly license is another racket....

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » February 15th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Corrupted Organisation of Trinidad and Tobago

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » February 15th, 2019, 11:48 pm

teems1 wrote:If you're planning to use the pics/video for commercial use to make money, then you would require a license similar to how the US has their filming permits.

this isn't the case. A filming permit is used for logistics of actual filming, such as blocking the sidewalk, obstructing traffic, displaying fake weapons or uniforms, etc. 1 A film permit isn't related at all to intellectual property rights.

What's being claimed by TTCO is that they own the rights to "works of mas". Now that term "works of mas" is purposefully vague, misguiding the average man to think that TTCO owns rights to all images of mas costumes and revellers regardless of venue or circumstance.

But the legislation has a specific definition.2

"work of mas” is an original production intended to be performed by a person or a group of persons in which an artistic work ... intended to be performed on stage, platform, street or other venue.

The key parts here:

1. The costumes themselves are not "works of mas". They are only considered "works of mas" when used as part of the bandleader's intended performance.

2. The key phrase here is "original production intended to be performed," meaning the scope is limited only to events organized by the bandleaders (official street routes, stages, etc). If you are outside of the official band events, lewwe say you are at Maracas bay eating a shake and bake, you are not part of their "work of mas".

so feel free to take pictures of your costume, commercial use or otherwise, but not during the "official" bandleader events.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”