this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Panday evicted from Rienzi Complex ....

Postby Rovin » February 21st, 2019, 4:16 pm

:|

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/lo ... bot5R7OzsM

AFTER more than 40 years, Basdeo Panday has been evicted from his office at the Rienzi Complex, Couva.

The eviction order was served by the All Trinidad General Workers Trade Union (ATGWU), which owns the property.

Panday allegedly owes more than $500,000 in rent. He is disputing this.

The former prime minister and former political leader of the United National Congress intends taking legal action.

The eviction was confirmed on Thursday by President General of the ATGWTU Nirvan Maharaj on Thursday.

According to Maharaj, since 2012, the union has been attempting to renegotiate the lease with Panday,

But Maharaj said Panday ignored and failed to respond any of the letters sent every month requesting the rental arrears and the current rent.

Maharaj said Panday owes for two offices and a storage room.

“Since 2012 to date Mr Panday never responded and I thought he would have appreciated and shown gratitude to the Union for allowing him to stay even while we were trying to get our rent…he has been here since 2012 not paying electricity, not paying water, no air-conditioning, even the toiletries he used that would have been provided by the union,” he said.

Maharaj said Panday has a lease and on February 6 he wrote to Panday indicating that, “certainly the relationship has broken down because the Union has to do what it has to do to survive and like all other Unions we use our assets in order to have an additionally income. Out membership fee is $10 a week and we would have lost 15,000 members.”

Since the 1970s, Panday has occupied the location in a building that became the home and head office of the UNC party.

It also served as Panday’s constituency office. Since Panday demitted active politics, the office is used as the Basdeo Panday Foundation.

The Express was told that Panday does not regularly visit the office and his secretary visits at least three times per week.

Maharaj said the Union is undertaking a new business venture, a supermarket, with a new tenant for rental of part of the property.

No emotion involved, it was a financial decision.

Maharaj said that as president of the All Trinidad General workers Trade Union, he owed it to the membership.

“I have absolutely no apologies for doing that, it was the only thing I could do, because when I sit as President General my job is to seek the interest of the Union. Mr Panday does not own Rienzi Complex, Nirvan Maharaj does not own Rienzi Complex, Rudranath Indarsingh does not own Rienzi Complex, the membership does and it has to be used in such a manner.

I cannot run a Union based on sentiment and emotion. We all come and play our parts and move on…I don’t think Mr Panday has a divine right to own an office in Rienzi Complex. And this is a landlord-tenant matter,” said Maharaj.

He said the first amount was $3,000 a month, and then the assumed renegotiated lease amount was $6,500 a month. And this was up for negotiation, he said.

Maharaj said he did have a conversation with Panday, explaining that the union wanted to utilise the ground floor.

He said Panday told him that no one could put him (Panday) out of Rienzi Complex.

He is my hero

“There was no emotion, no sentiment, no politics. It was a landlord-tenant relationship. I have a financial duty to the Union….At the end of the day, I love and respect Mr Panday with my heart and soul. Mr Panday is my hero, he has always been but at the end of the day I cannot allow love and respect to get in the way of the good of the Union and the undermining of the Union.

I have no personal animosity against Mr Panday,” he said.

Maharaj said he is fully aware of the consequences of his actions and has also spoken with his lawyer who is on standby for any legal action.

The eviction letter was served to Panday’s secretary on February 6. Maharaj said the two weeks’ notice deadline ended on Wednesday and a lock and chain was placed on the door with a notice.

Maharaj said the Union has extended a courtesy to allow Panday, his secretary of his representation to collect his personal belongings.

Legal action

The former Prime Minister said he had been at the building since the 1970s when he was President General of the union.

Panday, who said he now conducts a voluntary organisation from Rienzi Complex, said up until Wednesday he had attended to people’s problems. He said however that on Thursday morning his secretary arrived to find the gates to the office locked.

“She couldn’t get in. There are peoples very valuable documents in there and we are valuable equipment in there as well,” Panday said.

He said the matter has been placed in the hands of his lawyer.

Panday admitted that there were letters and calls “for a long time” concerning rent but these calls were ignored. “We are not tenants … There’s no tenancy agreement between us as far as I’m aware. In any case the president (general of the All Trinidad General Workers' Trade Union) was not there when I built that building and occupied it as trade union leader and then occupied it as a person with a voluntary organization. He was nowhere around.”

Told that the Union said he was owing $500,000 in rent Panday said, “What is happened is that the union has become very money hungry. I’m surprised it’s not a million (dollars).”

He also said that there was no question of negotiation concerning any rent as there was no tenancy.

Asked how he felt about the situation, Panday said, “In life, there are some of us who were born to create and there are others who were born to destroy. You cannot have change unless you have creation and destruction.”

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Panday evicted from Rienzi Complex ....

Postby De Dragon » February 21st, 2019, 4:26 pm

He coulda ax Oma to ax Dupes................

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » February 21st, 2019, 4:38 pm

Unfortunate. Unions on their older legacy buildings only charge token amounts on rent. I've seen the agreements for some government and private offices occupying OWTU compounds for instance, and it kinda sad that somebody would advantage that.

Hopefully the court case can shine some light on who telling the truth.
Last edited by ProtonPowder on February 21st, 2019, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 21st, 2019, 4:42 pm

So... all these decades UNC never purchased a property for themselves? Or offer to buy Rienzi and call it home?

Nah man...

It sounds like the older heads in Panday's time allowed him to stay there for free out of appreciation for all what he did especially if it is true that he did build the building for the Union. Times changed and the newer ones all about business especially since they are cash strapped.
Last edited by The_Honourable on February 21st, 2019, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » February 21st, 2019, 4:43 pm

This one goes out to Nirvan.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 21st, 2019, 5:30 pm

^^^ hoss like u is about 70-80yrs old .... :lol:

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 21st, 2019, 5:35 pm

The_Honourable wrote:So... all these decades UNC never purchased a property for themselves? Or offer to buy Rienzi and call it home?

Nah man...

It sounds like the older heads in Panday's time allowed him to stay there for free out of appreciation for all what he did especially if it is true that he did build the building for the Union. Times changed and the newer ones all about business especially since they are cash strapped.

it kinda shameless eh , maybe they tort we go continue to ride d union , sugar workers & injun backs so why bother to establish a permanent home

ent iirc b4 last election unc party itself get put out , i believe they renting somewhere still .... correct meh if ah wrong

like d lil bit ah marriage remaining now totally break up so is like pack allyuh jahaji bundle & go ....

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » February 21st, 2019, 5:55 pm

Rovin wrote:^^^ hoss like u is about 70-80yrs old .... :lol:

lol Nirvan used to sing this in class when he was teaching history in Hillview.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » February 21st, 2019, 6:11 pm

Rovin wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:So... all these decades UNC never purchased a property for themselves? Or offer to buy Rienzi and call it home?

Nah man...

it kinda shameless eh , maybe they tort we go continue to ride d union , sugar workers & injun backs so why bother to establish a permanent home

ent iirc b4 last election unc party itself get put out , i believe they renting somewhere still .... correct meh if ah wrong

like d lil bit ah marriage remaining now totally break up so is like pack allyuh jahaji bundle & go ....

Exactly, they should've done like the PNM and built a magnificent HQ solely on BBQ and raffle tickets :roll:

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » February 21st, 2019, 6:20 pm

Buh ent the London bank accunt have plenty more dan dat? :lol: :lol:

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » February 21st, 2019, 6:27 pm

Lol, will ramesh give a helping hand?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 21st, 2019, 8:29 pm

What he doing dey?

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » February 21st, 2019, 10:06 pm

^^^^Holding on to the past with dear life!

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 21st, 2019, 10:23 pm

Panday still important?

Oh ok

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » February 21st, 2019, 10:59 pm

ent mickela need a mascot?

orangelancer
Sweet on this forum

Postby orangelancer » February 21st, 2019, 11:25 pm

De Dragon wrote:
Rovin wrote:

Nah man...

Exactly, they should've done like the PNM and built a magnificent HQ solely on BBQ and raffle tickets :roll:

Or they can jus have AV drilling who maybe “buy” out all the bbq An raffle tickets.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » February 22nd, 2019, 6:41 am

Panday admitted to ignoring the 72 letters he received on the matter of rental.

He looking for the embarrassment-probably intentionally

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 22nd, 2019, 9:08 am

What is the Basdeo Panday Foundation??

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 22nd, 2019, 9:13 am

Dizzy28 wrote:What is the Busday Pandeo Foundation??

An institute to guide on how one can acquire property in foreign soil, specializing in the UK.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 22nd, 2019, 9:16 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:What is the Busday Pandeo Foundation??

An institute to guide on how one can acquire property in foreign soil, specializing in the UK.

A daughter comes with it?

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 22nd, 2019, 9:56 am

Rovin wrote:^^^ hoss like u is about 70-80yrs old .... :lol:

Funny ..

70 - 90 years :D :D

And " tusty "

BTW

Panday is an icon.
My hero.
They F with him they F with me.

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » February 22nd, 2019, 10:14 am

is squat Panday squatting dey?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 22nd, 2019, 10:30 am

^^ :lol:

72 letter notice - panday be like : like u eh kno who iz me orrr ....... :lol:

Infamouz
Street 2NR

Postby Infamouz » February 22nd, 2019, 10:35 am

Pay yuh munnn kneeeeee

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » February 22nd, 2019, 12:02 pm

that 72 reference....hmmmm....

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » February 22nd, 2019, 12:09 pm

Rovin wrote:^^ :lol:

72 letter notice - panday be like : like u eh kno who iz me orrr ....... :lol:

*in Santana old man puppet voice* "I fight in de war yunno!" :lol:

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » May 23rd, 2020, 11:44 am

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 25th, 2020, 6:16 pm

jes a btw : today is Bas budday , 87yrs old ...

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 25th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Rovin wrote:jes a btw : today is Bas budday , 87yrs old ...
Jah bless that Rasta and curse PNM MC

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”