Food standards in Trinidad and Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Food standards in Trinidad and Tobago

Postby hong kong phooey » February 23rd, 2019, 2:17 am

See article below
I notice there are many BBQ, Curry Que etc to raise funds for various reasons, is this legal? are there any checks or standards to ensure what happened will not re-occur.
How often are food outlets inspected not only during working hours but at night to ensure that animals and insects do not contaminate utensils?

http://www.looptt.com/content/swrha-cus ... dical-help

SWRHA: Customers of ASJA Girls' College BBQ must seek medical help
The South West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is advising members of the public that 18 people went to the Emergency Department of the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH) complaining of vomiting and abdominal pains.

All of these people reportedly consumed food from the ASJA Girls’ College, San Fernando barbeque meal.

All patients received medical attention while most have been discharged.

Persons who have eaten food from the ASJA Girls’ College barbeque and present the following symptoms are urged to visit the nearest health facility or doctor:

- Abdominal pains

- Dizziness

- Nausea

- Vomiting

The SWRHA said the information is being shared to encourage affected persons to present themselves for treatment and to ensure the impact of this incident is contained as far as possible.

INHUMAN
Riding on 18's

Re: Food standards in Trinidad and Tobago

Postby INHUMAN » February 23rd, 2019, 2:38 am

I don't eat roadside food nor support this and that fund raiser bla bla bla because i know it'd be substandard wrt taste and preparation. I'd donate if i see fit tho and tell them donate the food too.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 23rd, 2019, 3:01 am

These events are excellent .

It is usually a community effort and lots of fun.

However sometimes education lacks in the preparation and handling of food.

RedVEVO approved .

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 23rd, 2019, 5:34 am

Street food is generally ok if you follow a few rules. Only eating food that cooking right there in front of me. Observe handling practices, hand sanitizer, gloves and most times a separate person handling money. There should be running water with soap or nearby toilet facilities. Anything else is asking for trouble. Even with a doublesman, I keep this strict. Happened a few times in my life already. I almost died last year in Tobago. Had to get 2 bags of drips. Emergency room at Tobago General was useless, had to rely on an off-duty doctor.

Bottom line is that food health inspection is as jokey as licensing office in Trinidad and most people selling food have no clue about microbiology. I'm sure they have to do a little lecture or something to get the food badge, but I suspect that level of education going right over their heads. Play it safe and be responsible for yourself. Trust me, food poisoning not nice, and you literally feel that death is better at that point.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 23rd, 2019, 5:50 am

aside from the regular hygiene issues(washing hands, clean prep etc)
fundraisers are often cooked offsite with long delays and many different persons involved.
Usually the side orders cooked hours before and subject to spoilage plus the side order dishes being exposed to the elements during dishing out.

Health inspectors actually do a good job when the visit places and when you get a food badge they make you sit through a very informative lecture, eg warm food(<140f) is highly dangerous

Having said that, a "normal" doubles bad roti food spoilage usually results in a day trip to the toilet

a real food poisoning with salmonella, e.coli etc can happen with contamination and the food looks and tastes perfectly fine.

the worst food poisoning I have ever gotten was in the plantations tobago, a week in the toilet.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » February 23rd, 2019, 6:12 am

When doing fund raisers most common items that can spoil quickly is the cooked rice and anything with mayo as it done ahead of time and many of these places are not equiped for volume storage of these items.

Bbq chicken for eg is cooked onsite and placed in coolers to keep hot until packed into boxes

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » February 23rd, 2019, 6:27 am

Nearly dead after an oyster and corn soup run one night. Allyuh know what it is to reach a stage where yuh vomiting and nothing, not even acid coming out...body exhaused from the emetic reflex and yuh feeling like yuh eyes go pop out yuh head? Couldn't be sure if it was the molluscs or the soup, both did taste good — but not me and that again.

However that was one instance. Never had a problem with outside food otherwise, fund raisers included.

Thing is there is only so much the authorities could do. Even with reputable establishments you're never sure what's going on day to day. For example, there was a food poisoning incident in Spain recently where a person died. Food inspectors found diddly-squat, but they suspect it was bad mushrooms...:|

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/22/europe/food-poisoning-valencia-scli-intl/index.html

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » February 23rd, 2019, 6:55 am

Any disciplinary action for the incident?

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 23rd, 2019, 6:58 am

hydroep wrote:Nearly dead after an oyster and corn soup run one night. Allyuh know what it is to reach a stage where yuh vomiting and nothing, not even acid coming out...body exhaused from the emetic reflex and yuh feeling like yuh eyes go pop out yuh head? Couldn't be sure if it was the molluscs or the soup, both did taste good — but not me and that again.

However that was one instance. Never had a problem with outside food otherwise, fund raisers included.

Thing is there is only so much the authorities could do. Even with reputable establishments you're never sure what's going on day to day. For example, there was a food poisoning incident in Spain recently where a person died. Food inspectors found diddly-squat, but they suspect it was bad mushrooms...:|

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/22/europe/food-poisoning-valencia-scli-intl/index.html
Dawggggg yesss
Vomit every few hrs or so and metallic aluminum taste when vomiting yes ... Marabella round a bout not me ever again with that anywhere in tt

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 23rd, 2019, 8:31 am

the rice for sure, tossed and mixed during cooking with plenty exposure to the air and any airborne particles

a big pot or deep food pan of rice sitting around 100-120f is prime environment for bacteria to proliferate
ppl will say "nah it warm" but warm can mean anything

only temps higher than 130f will start to kill bacteria

SR wrote:When doing fund raisers most common items that can spoil quickly is the cooked rice and anything with mayo as it done ahead of time and many of these places are not equiped for volume storage of these items.

Bbq chicken for eg is cooked onsite and placed in coolers to keep hot until packed into boxes

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 23rd, 2019, 8:43 am

The rice is a big deal. In most countries health inspectors specifically check the conditions of cooked rice and rice cookers in food places because of Bacillus cereus bacteria growth. The FDA has guidelines on rice because of this. https://www.foodsafety.gov/poisoning/ca ... index.html

There have been several outbreaks in the past. I have experienced this bacteria. 2 days of wishing death boy.

To prevent further outbreaks it is suggested that rice should be boiled in smaller quantities on several occasions during the day, thereby reducing the storage time before frying. After boiling the rice should either be kept hot (> 63° C.) or cooled quickly and transferred to a refrigerator within 2 hr. of cooking. Boiled or fried rice must not be stored under warm conditions especially in the range 15-50° C.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2130471/

Tell me how many places in Trinidad that serves food know this? Do they even inspect the places for this?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 23rd, 2019, 8:49 am

I recall last food badge lecture I did
The danger temp zone is between 40-140f
Them places that leave thawed chicken sitting hours violate this terribly

Of course the cooking temps would kill germs but still not ideal

maj. tom wrote:The rice is a big deal. In most countries health inspectors specifically check the conditions of cooked rice and rice cookers in food places because of Bacillus cereus bacteria growth. The FDA has guidelines on rice because of this. https://www.foodsafety.gov/poisoning/ca ... index.html

There have been several outbreaks in the past. I have experienced this bacteria. 2 days of wishing death boy.

To prevent further outbreaks it is suggested that rice should be boiled in smaller quantities on several occasions during the day, thereby reducing the storage time before frying. After boiling the rice should either be kept hot (> 63° C.) or cooled quickly and transferred to a refrigerator within 2 hr. of cooking. Boiled or fried rice must not be stored under warm conditions especially in the range 15-50° C.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2130471/

Tell me how many places in Trinidad that serves food know this? Do they even inspect the places for this?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 23rd, 2019, 10:22 am

Remember, most Trinidadians are extremely nasty people....be careful out there my friends.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » February 23rd, 2019, 1:31 pm

Damn. Knew I shouldn't have read through this ched. Good points for sure though.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 23rd, 2019, 2:13 pm

At least 93 people have died after drinking tainted liquor in India

At least 93 people have died and about 200 people have been hospitalized after drinking tainted liquor in two separate incidents in India's northeast, authorities said Saturday. The victims of one of the most deadly bootleg liquor-related incidents ever in India were mostly tea plantation workers, government official Julie Sonowal said.

The tainted liquor was laced with methyl alcohol, a chemical that attacks the central nervous system, on Thursday and started falling unconscious. They were rushed to nearby hospitals and the death toll rose to 93 by Saturday, according to Assam Home Commissioner Ashutosh Agnihotri.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/at-least-93-have-died-in-one-of-indias-deadliest-bootleg-liquor-related-incidents-ever/

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » February 23rd, 2019, 2:18 pm

hong kong phooey wrote:See article below
I notice there are many BBQ, Curry Que etc to raise funds for various reasons, is this legal? are there any checks or standards to ensure what happened will not re-occur.
How often are food outlets inspected not only during working hours but at night to ensure that animals and insects do not contaminate utensils?

http://www.looptt.com/content/swrha-cus ... dical-help

SWRHA: Customers of ASJA Girls' College BBQ must seek medical help
The South West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is advising members of the public that 18 people went to the Emergency Department of the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH) complaining of vomiting and abdominal pains.

All of these people reportedly consumed food from the ASJA Girls’ College, San Fernando barbeque meal.

All patients received medical attention while most have been discharged.

Persons who have eaten food from the ASJA Girls’ College barbeque and present the following symptoms are urged to visit the nearest health facility or doctor:

- Abdominal pains

- Dizziness

- Nausea

- Vomiting

The SWRHA said the information is being shared to encourage affected persons to present themselves for treatment and to ensure the impact of this incident is contained as far as possible.
Who supplied the bbq tho?

Monkey Man
Riding on 18's

Postby Monkey Man » February 23rd, 2019, 2:47 pm

gastly369 wrote:
hydroep wrote:Nearly dead after an oyster and corn soup run one night. Allyuh know what it is to reach a stage where yuh vomiting and nothing, not even acid coming out...body exhaused from the emetic reflex and yuh feeling like yuh eyes go pop out yuh head? Couldn't be sure if it was the molluscs or the soup, both did taste good — but not me and that again.

Dawggggg yesss
Vomit every few hrs or so and metallic aluminum taste when vomiting yes ... Marabella round a bout not me ever again with that anywhere in tt

Bruh you frigging get oysters from the guaracara hahah.

Its best you drank a cup of tank slops.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » February 23rd, 2019, 3:18 pm

It should be understood once you eating oyster that means food poisoning . I always remember when it used to have cholera described on the news in the early 90s that was right up on the list of risky things

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » February 23rd, 2019, 5:52 pm

Lewwe fry some barra :drinking:

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 23rd, 2019, 6:11 pm

^^^^ :shock: :shock: :shock: , hoss no words for dat nah

few yrs ago i myself went thru devious food poisoning , 2 bag of drips , really feeling like u rather dead than live when it hit u & d dog treatment at public health center etc.

after i got back good i learn of vinegar to help ease it though https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/try-t ... lly-775151

^^^luckily i always cautious & never had cause to try it but i hear it works

not only buy food from outside is food poisoning cause u can get it right at home , eating food that left out too long\going bad , mayonnaise , re heating food especially chinese food especially d next day u looking for sickness , consume it same day & dump d rest , anytime u buy ingredients to cook especially meat & it smelling offkey dont play dat nah ... cut ur losses & pelt it away , cause $ cyar help d feelings of sickness

INHUMAN
Riding on 18's

Postby INHUMAN » February 23rd, 2019, 7:34 pm

I does feel sorry for the vagabonds that partake in every nook and cranny chinese rest. and tom, dick and harry foodplace jus cus "ah hungry" , "it convenient", "i cyar cook"...

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 23rd, 2019, 7:41 pm

^ doh feel sorry, dem have goat belly and dont really get sick. But those vagabonds generally have a oily look, unhealthy skin, yellow eyes, poor physique, bad hygiene etc etc.....yuck

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » February 23rd, 2019, 8:08 pm

most likely the 'potato salad' 'cole slaw' 'garlic sauce' or other mayo-based side dish. unlikely to be the rice or the meat.

mayo is made from raw eggs. it is literally a culture medium for bacteria. it will go bad quickly once it is taken out of refrigeration.

rice, chicken, etc, will generally be fine sitting at room temperature for a few hours. mayo based stuff... very risky unless it is taken directly from a cold-box at time of serving.

KM_2NR
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby KM_2NR » February 23rd, 2019, 8:30 pm

My first job was in the food industry , was eye opening , only ate home cooked meals after that for some time , that was almost a decade ago . Not sure if things have gotten worst or improved.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 23rd, 2019, 8:49 pm

I have a friend who inspects those food outlets. The stories I hear.............

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » February 23rd, 2019, 10:20 pm

paid_influencer wrote:most likely the 'potato salad' 'cole slaw' 'garlic sauce' or other mayo-based side dish. unlikely to be the rice or the meat

mayo is made from raw eggs. it is literally a culture medium for bacteria. it will go bad quickly once it is taken out of refrigeration.

rice, chicken, etc, will generally be fine sitting at room temperature for a few hours. mayo based stuff... very risky unless it is taken directly from a cold-box at time of serving.

Mayo sides does go bad fast, but rice and pasta are prone to extremely fast growing bacteria (bacillus cereus) festering in them if left out for a couple hours at room temp, which is how day old chinese food does catch rell people.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 23rd, 2019, 10:30 pm

The mayo risk is slightly overrated though, all commercial mayo is pasteurized and acidic based(vinegar)
So out of the bottle it is sanitized, it's the temperature conditions and mixing with other ingredients in the dish which encourage bacteria.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 24th, 2019, 4:37 am

what about food at fetes & in carnival bands this carnival?

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » February 24th, 2019, 4:59 am

pugboy wrote:The mayo risk is slightly overrated though, all commercial mayo is pasteurized and acidic based(vinegar)
So out of the bottle it is sanitized, it's the temperature conditions and mixing with other ingredients in the dish which encourage bacteria.

very true Especially fruits and vegetables . E coli and other bacteria cannot be washed off easily and can rapidly multiply in warm climates

fatboy slim
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby fatboy slim » February 24th, 2019, 5:36 am

MaxPower wrote:^ doh feel sorry, dem have goat belly and dont really get sick. But those vagabonds generally have a oily look, unhealthy skin, yellow eyes, poor physique, bad hygiene etc etc.....yuck

:lol: :lol:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”