TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

why have so many cars caught on fire lately?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Re: why have so many cars caught on fire lately?

Postby nick639v2 » March 20th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Just see another car on fire. Rivulet road :/

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 20th, 2019, 2:17 pm

I tell allyuh the new imported fuel too volatile for our climate
The temps causing massive evaporation and spontaneous combustion

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » March 20th, 2019, 2:36 pm

^^ I put a about cup of water directly in the gas tank for every 15 litres of gas I put in- that helping in keeping the spontaneous combustion in check and it also means it costing less to fill the tank

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 20th, 2019, 2:51 pm

I hear men say to use the blue waters alkaline water

the higher volatility is why ppl saying the gas not lasting,
it drying out in no time
all them fishermen with open tank must expect it to run out fast
if you drop a cup of gas on hot concrete, it disappears within seconds

SMc wrote:^^ I put a about cup of water directly in the gas tank for every 15 litres of gas I put in- that helping in keeping the spontaneous combustion in check and it also means it costing less to fill the tank

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » March 20th, 2019, 3:34 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Just see another car on fire. Rivulet road :/
What kind of car?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 20th, 2019, 3:35 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Can wrong refrigerant gas in a car cause fires? Or anything related to ac? Behind the dash??

Paging nerve
Some new cars come with r290, not 134a. Iirc chevy is one.

Saw for a fact the one that lit up by gasparillo had a power wire for an aftermarket sound system under the bonnet after it was opened. The copper remained. Look like it was just resting there like its nobody business..
Real cars have no fuse and real cars just shift the factory harness and squeeze the wire under there on the bare metal.
What I seen under the hood of some cars does have me questioning why so little fires? God does be with some of them yes.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 20th, 2019, 3:38 pm

If you have a leak with r290 it can go boom real easy. So keep topping up and dont fix.

Also if the lines werent evacuated its a bomb. Fuel and air mixing and being compressed in the presence of heat.

I understand some idiot tried lpg in cars some years back.

R600 and r290 should be handled by people trained and certified to work with it..

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 20th, 2019, 4:29 pm

yuh never see how some fellas does splice by just slicing off the insulation on a hot wire
and wrapping another around it and then electrical tape ?

very commonly done with rear reverse sensors, they splice onto the reverse light like that

Bound to get slack and arc off later on

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 20th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Reverse sensors? Does have that all over the engine bay.
I fixed an auto system in a honda city, donno who wire that but they need to be shot.
Circuits wired with live converted to ground and ground converted to live. The ac compressor was wired with a ground wire going to ground. Basically is one wire that make a loop and has a switch on it. The clutch wasnt engaging and electricians cant figure out why.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » March 20th, 2019, 7:07 pm

aaron17 wrote:
What kind of car?
Toyota Fielder wagon.. NOT hybrid model

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » March 20th, 2019, 8:10 pm

pugboy wrote:yuh never see how some fellas does splice by just slicing off the insulation on a hot wire
and wrapping another around it and then electrical tape ?

very commonly done with rear reverse sensors, they splice onto the reverse light like that

Bound to get slack and arc off later on

boi if u see some wiring chaos that does come in some cars from the factory you would never buy another vehicle.
nothing inherently dangerous in tapping into a constant +12v accessory line, but some things need to be accounted for. like what the fuse on the line is rated for, and more importantly how much current the line you tap into can safely handle, and lastly how you secure the tap in. not all electrical tapes are the same. some get old and unravel or slip, creating a hazard. others stay put and remain secure for years.

ppl really don't know the madness they doing sometimes. I personally seen a lunatic attach high draw accessories to some thin ass wires looking like 18g, could be smaller, wires that can handle a max 10 amps, and the line being expected to handle loads as high as 70 amps, and all the mad ppl do is change the fuse to a 70 amp fuse. mad ppl business. dem so never see a wire melt the sheath.

now, I gonna post sumn I know plenty ppl don't usually play attention to.
every couple years it's a good practice to switch out car audio wires. not entirely necessary to change signal source cables, but its a good practice to change power, grounding, remote, and output lines to speakers and fuses. I personally do this every 3-5 years. Seen more than a few systems with output lines that took so much heat over years of abuse that they literally fused in sections. they were no longer wires in those sections, just solid copper or aluminum. particularly lines to subwoofers from very powerful mono amplifiers if they get a lot of long full power play time. and if that's the end result of the stress a speaker wire taking, imagine the pressure that the power cable connected directly to the battery is under and what can happen eventually.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » April 6th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Well yesterday my cousin fell victim to this spontaneous combustion...

Mt Hope student car park, he park up normal no issues and just started to smell something burning, popped the hood and well entire car eventually caught up.

Not sure what caused it but I wanna believe it's the cng system they installed a couple years back, cuz other than that it's dead showroom stock.

Edit: Grand Vitara
Last edited by nick639v2 on April 6th, 2019, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » April 6th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Just pass this one as well.
IMG_20190406_115931.jpeg

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » April 6th, 2019, 12:35 pm

@nick639v2: What kind of car did your cousin drive?

This is a serious question.

Long ago, if you heard about one car catching afire in 1 year, it was plenty.

Now, we are seeing all different makes of vehicles and trucks 'spontaneously combusting."

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » April 6th, 2019, 1:20 pm

nick639v2 wrote:
aaron17 wrote:
What kind of car?

More than likely a sabotage.

Toyotas dont burn down

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » April 6th, 2019, 1:35 pm

bluefete wrote:@nick639v2: What kind of car did your cousin drive?

This is a serious question.

Long ago, if you heard about one car catching afire in 1 year, it was plenty.

Now, we are seeing all different makes of vehicles and trucks 'spontaneously combusting."
Grand Vitara pcf series

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 6th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Ent cng wears out engine faster?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 6th, 2019, 3:43 pm

TOKYO— Toyota Motor Corp. TM 0.38% is recalling over one million Prius and C-HR crossover sport-utility vehicles globally to repair a portion of the electrical system that could cause a fire.

The recall affects certain 2016-2018 model-year Prius vehicles, Prius Prime plug-in hybrids and hybrid gas-electric versions of the C-HRs. In the U.S., the recall covers about 192,000 Prius vehicles. Toyota doesn’t sell a hybrid version of the C-HR in the U.S. The bulk of the vehicles covered by the recall were sold in Japan.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/toyota-recalls-more-than-1-million-vehicles-over-fire-risk-1536132145
MaxPower wrote:
nick639v2 wrote:
aaron17 wrote:
What kind of car?

More than likely a sabotage.

Toyotas dont burn down

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » April 6th, 2019, 4:22 pm

^ fake news

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » April 6th, 2019, 6:33 pm

While it may be useful to find out the causes of these fires for our personal safety and precaution I’m still of the opinion that more sharing of vids and pics on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp etc is making the problem seem like a new phenomenon

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » April 6th, 2019, 7:28 pm

too much bullin going on in them cars. dat blighting d cars.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 6th, 2019, 9:48 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Well yesterday my cousin fell victim to this spontaneous combustion...

Mt Hope student car park, he park up normal no issues and just started to smell something burning, popped the hood and well entire car eventually caught up.

Not sure what caused it but I wanna believe it's the cng system they installed a couple years back, cuz other than that it's dead showroom stock.

Probably Burmac.

I dont see a CNG system catching fire from in the engine bay though. Very open to correction.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » April 6th, 2019, 10:18 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
nick639v2 wrote:Well yesterday my cousin fell victim to this spontaneous combustion...

Probably Burmac.

I dont see a CNG system catching fire from in the engine bay though. Very open to correction.
Nerve it was done at automotive something in arima. My cousin say initially when he opened the hood it was a small flame around injector area by the time he went by the guard booth to see if they had an extinguisher, it spread

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » April 7th, 2019, 8:28 am

Oh, don't bring science and real testable experiments and observations into this. It's feelings that random facebook people without a clue that really matters... blaming Paria inferior fuel and ... and... it's PNM fault!!! :roll:

Wide­ly shared so­cial me­dia posts blam­ing im­port­ed fu­el for at least six in­ci­dents in re­cent months in which cars caught fire have been dis­pelled by me­chan­ics who be­lieve poor main­te­nance and shod­dy mod­i­fi­ca­tions were done to the ve­hi­cles were like­ly the cause of the fires.

Ever since the first ship­ments of im­port­ed fu­el ar­rived in the coun­try on Oc­to­ber 27 last year, a de­bate has raged over the qual­i­ty. With the clo­sure of Petrotrin, the Pointe-a-Pierre re­fin­ery which sup­plied the na­tion’s fu­el has been moth­balled. In the months since then, sev­er­al videos have popped up on Face­book show­ing cars on fire and blam­ing those ac­ci­dents on the im­port­ed fu­el.

Last De­cem­ber 26, a short video of a burn­ing car on the north­bound lane of the Sir Solomon Ho­choy High­way was post­ed on Face­book. One day lat­er, a video show­ing a Nis­san X-Trail on fire on South Quay, Port of Spain, was post­ed and since then there have been four oth­er videos of burn­ing ve­hi­cles.

The most re­cent was on March 20, when a car caught fire along the Rivulet Road in Cou­va.

The videos have at­tract­ed thou­sands of views and com­ments, with so­cial me­dia users spec­u­lat­ing about the cause of this ap­par­ent in­crease in ve­hi­cle fires.

On a video of a burn­ing Toy­ota Axio, one man wrote: “Next car on fire again this is about 17 ve­hi­cles I saw post­ed on fb on fire...this nev­er use to hap­pen un­der Petrotrin watch... now this new gas the gov­ern­ment is im­port­ing is a night­mare to these dri­vers...”

On the March 20 fire, an­oth­er user com­ment­ed: “It’s d fu­el peo­ple. Look at cars just burn­ing down as we start­ed im­port­ing fu­el.”

An­oth­er plead­ed for an in­ves­ti­ga­tion in­to the qual­i­ty of the fu­el, writ­ing: “Some­one needs to in­ves­ti­gate the type of fu­el we are re­ceiv­ing and if these cars were CNG al­so. Some­thing not adding up too many ve­hi­cles on fire.”

How­ev­er, An­dre Toolsie, a me­chan­ic and the own­er of Striv­er’s Au­to Garage in Princes Town be­lieves the re­al cause of the car fires are me­chan­ics us­ing out­dat­ed tools and ser­vic­ing meth­ods on mod­ern cars.

“Any­time I see a ve­hi­cle on fire, it is most like­ly be­cause of work re­cent­ly done on a ve­hi­cle. For in­stance, there are me­chan­ics who do en­gine changes but they don’t have the cor­rect tools to work on the ve­hi­cle so when they cut the fu­el lines, they are just join­ing it and that can lead to fu­el leak­age which can start a fire,” Toolsie said.

“I have come across sev­er­al cars where wires are left ex­posed when mu­sic sys­tems are set up, where bat­tery ter­mi­nals are not ground­ed prop­er­ly and these cause mi­nor fires to start.”

He al­so dis­missed claims that the im­port­ed fu­el is in­fe­ri­or to the fu­el that Petrotrin used to pro­duce.

“Cus­tomers are com­plain­ing that fu­el is burn­ing out faster than be­fore but that de­pends on the main­te­nance of the ve­hi­cle. I be­lieve the fu­el qual­i­ty now is of bet­ter qual­i­ty than what we were pro­duc­ing, I have per­son­al­ly seen it in the im­prove­ment of the mileage of my per­son­al ve­hi­cle,” he said.

Own­er of Chunks Au­to Ser­vice, Kr­ish­na Sub­ratie, said af­ter hear­ing sim­i­lar com­plaints, he of­fered three of his clients free ser­vice for their ve­hi­cles as part of a project to mon­i­tor fu­el ef­fi­cien­cy. Af­ter post­ing the of­fer on his Face­book page, Sub­ratie se­lect­ed one cus­tomer for the ser­vice. He al­so test­ed his the­o­ry that the ser­vic­ing and main­te­nance of the ve­hi­cle are di­rect­ly re­lat­ed to its fu­el con­sump­tion on his own car.

“I did see a dif­fer­ence in the num­ber of miles per tank of gas af­ter the ser­vice. I used to get 270 km’s per tank and af­ter the ser­vice the first time I filled up my tank, I got 305 km from that tank,” Sub­ratie said. “Since then, I have been get­ting even more miles per tank.”

He ex­plained that when ve­hi­cle man­u­fac­tur­ers test a ve­hi­cle’s fu­el ef­fi­cien­cy, that ve­hi­cle is usu­al­ly brand new.

“The ve­hi­cle needs to be main­tained in a cer­tain way in or­der for it to work the way it’s sup­posed to. When man­u­fac­tur­ers are do­ing their tests those ve­hi­cles are 100 per cent clean for them to be able to get those type of num­bers and when you have a ve­hi­cle and you don’t keep up on main­te­nance—keep­ing the in­take man­i­fold clean, free of dust or what­ev­er residue—all that con­tributes to poor fu­el econ­o­my.”

Sub­ratie be­lieves the qual­i­ty of im­port­ed fu­el is the same as the fu­el Petrotrin used to pro­duce.

“From us­ing the lo­cal fu­el to the one they are bring­ing in now, my mileage has re­mained about the same, I’m 100 per cent sure of that. I have been try­ing to ad­vise cus­tomers that cer­tain con­di­tions, along with the main­te­nance, will cause them to burn more fu­el.

“For ex­am­ple, you have two same types of ve­hi­cles, they take the same amount of fu­el, one per­son goes from San Fer­nan­do to Port of Spain and the oth­er goes from Mara­cas to Port of Spain every day. Let’s say they are both do­ing the same mileage but one per­son’s gas is fin­ish­ing faster and that per­son would be the one from Mara­cas, sim­ply be­cause there are more hills on that side and the ve­hi­cle would use more gas to get more pow­er to climb those hills.”

Sub­ratie, a me­chan­ic for about 13 years, does not be­lieve that the im­port­ed fu­el is caus­ing fires.

“Un­less it is a man­u­fac­tur­ing de­fect, a lot of it is hu­man er­ror. Peo­ple are do­ing work on ve­hi­cles that they are not qual­i­fied to do. Sim­ple things like the bat­tery clamp, if it is not prop­er­ly se­cured and it moves and the pos­i­tive touch­es any part of your ve­hi­cle, that can cause a fire,” he said.

He said a ve­hi­cle can catch fire be­cause of fu­el but on­ly in spe­cif­ic cir­cum­stances.

“If you get in­to an ac­ci­dent and the fu­el tank bursts and at that time some­thing sparks and ig­nites it, then you will have a fire. To my knowl­edge and ex­pe­ri­ence cars don’t just catch fire be­cause of fu­el. It could be a faulty fu­el line or the bat­tery or wire not ground­ed prop­er­ly but once every­thing is work­ing how it’s sup­posed too in the ve­hi­cle, the fu­el will not cause a fire.”

In a state­ment yes­ter­day, Paria Fu­el Trad­ing Com­pa­ny Lim­it­ed said all the re­fined fu­els it im­ports meets or ex­ceeds mar­ket spec­i­fi­ca­tions.

The com­pa­ny en­sures all car­goes/prod­ucts are ful­ly test­ed at the load port and the tests are wit­nessed by an in­de­pen­dent in­spec­tor. The re­sults are pro­vid­ed to Paria for re­view and pri­or to dis­charge, the prod­ucts are again test­ed at the Guaracara lab­o­ra­to­ry, with tests again be­ing wit­nessed by an in­de­pen­dent in­spec­tor.

“To date, all the prod­ucts im­port­ed have met and, in many cas­es, ex­ceed­ed the con­trac­tu­al spec­i­fi­ca­tions par­tic­u­lar­ly in re­la­tion to sul­phur con­tent. These spec­i­fi­ca­tions are in keep­ing with the Trinidad and To­ba­go Bu­reau of Stan­dards (TTBS) spec­i­fi­ca­tion for mo­tor ve­hi­cles.

“We are bring­ing in a much bet­ter qual­i­ty prod­uct than was pro­duced at the Pointe-a-Pierre re­fin­ery in re­cent times.”

Al­so weigh­ing in on the qual­i­ty of the fu­el was Unipet chair­man, Dr Afraz Ali, who de­scribed the so­cial me­dia claims about im­port­ed fu­el caus­ing fires as noth­ing more than anec­dotes.

Ali said to date, no one has been able to pro­vide any ev­i­dence that there is some­thing wrong with the qual­i­ty of the im­port­ed fu­el.

“We at Unipet have not had that ex­pe­ri­ence. I’m not sure where that is com­ing from. As far as the com­ments are con­cerned, those are anec­do­tal, I don’t think any­one has come out and proven those al­le­ga­tions that are be­ing made on so­cial me­dia,” he said.

Ali said Unipet has been us­ing a dou­ble fil­tra­tion sys­tem for the past eight years which has been proven to im­prove the qual­i­ty of fu­el de­liv­ered to cus­tomers.

“That is some­thing that we have in­de­pen­dent­ly test­ed and we have cer­tifi­cates that can sub­stan­ti­ate the fact that our dou­ble fil­tra­tion ac­tu­al­ly im­proves the qual­i­ty of fu­el to the cus­tomer,” he said.
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/car-fire ... 739ed5dd87

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » April 18th, 2019, 12:42 am

Another one... saved tho

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 18th, 2019, 6:50 am

Kudos to the extinguisher dude

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » June 12th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Car catches fire in Woodbrook
Ryan Hamilton-Davis

Police and Fire Services are investigating a fire which destroyed a Frontier in Woodbrook earlier today.

Police and emergency services responded to a report of what was first thought to be a house fire on Alberto Street, but when they got there they found the fire had consumed a white Nissan Frontier with the licence plate TDK 3148.

The fire was doused and the car removed. No one was hurt.

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/06/12/car-catches-fire-in-woodbrook/

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”