TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Digicel's cheapest broadband home internet package has been increased to $300 TT

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Digicel's cheapest broadband home internet package has been increased to $300 TT

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 1st, 2019, 5:41 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW I get that Digicel is superior to flow with regards to better international ISP peering agreement

Meaning "lower ping to Canada and Europe".

But $300 a month for 40mbps is really quite expensive, it was advertised as $250 a month on their website just last week and prior to this it only cost $199 a month when they first came out with it.

https://www.digicelgroup.com/tt/en/home ... ernet.html

The cheapest package from flow starts at $142 a month and 98% of Flow's network is Fiber Optic, I guess for Digicel to be able to increase their prices like this they must be providing really top notch service.

https://discoverflow.co/trinidad/broadband/overview

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Re: Digicel's cheapest broadband home internet package has been increased to $300 TT

Postby dean_spleen09 » April 1st, 2019, 5:58 pm

it already have a digicel internet thread
:|

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Digicel's cheapest broadband home internet package has been increased to $300 TT

Postby redmanjp » April 1st, 2019, 8:06 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW I get that Digicel is superior to flow with regards to better international ISP peering agreement

Meaning "lower ping to Canada and Europe".

But $300 a month for 40mbps is really quite expensive, it was advertised as $250 a month on their website just last week and prior to this it only cost $199 a month when they first came out with it.

https://www.digicelgroup.com/tt/en/home ... ernet.html

The cheapest package from flow starts at $142 a month and 98% of Flow's network is Fiber Optic, I guess for Digicel to be able to increase their prices like this they must be providing really top notch service.

https://discoverflow.co/trinidad/broadband/overview

might as well take the $350 bundle and done, unless they plan on increasing that too

the comparable package from Flow is the same 40mb for $234/mth but yeah still considerably less than $299
the $142 package is just 5mb

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 1st, 2019, 8:27 pm

^ for poor families that $142 a month for 5MB is actually just fine for the kids to get a bit of youtube, movie streaming and their homework even play games especially games like Fortnite where that is all you will be playing for years so only have minor things like updates to deal with. And this is not considering the fact that a lot of people are still paying big money for 2MB DSL from TSTT and making that do.

How unfortunate that Digicel has gone this route, they will just alienate the poorer class.

And well Amplia was doomed ever since TSTT got their tentacles on them. Them have no coverage just like TSTT fiber has no coverage

What ah go say jed is a good thing Flow exist yes cause Digicel behaving like a Monopoly with them prices. I know why they doing it tho they capitalizing on the fact that they have massive coverage because they know TSTT is a non entity now and no longer a threat.
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on April 1st, 2019, 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 1st, 2019, 8:34 pm

digicel is master of bait and switch.
From prepaid cell packages, to mdata, to calls.

Expected differently from internet?
lol, they could htmc with that.

I'll stay with the cell tho, too lazy to port number

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 1st, 2019, 8:38 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:digicel is master of bait and switch.
From prepaid cell packages, to mdata, to calls.

Expected differently from internet?
lol, they could htmc with that.

I'll stay with the cell tho, too lazy to port number

Yeah remember when Mobile Data was $150 a month and now it is $250 for 3GB?. LMAO so much for breaking TSTT monopoly.

But they wicked with that $300 a month package, even Amplia has a $175 a month package for 15MB Fiber. The unfortunate reality is many in rural areas will only have a choice between Digicel and TSTT DSL which happens to be like 2MB for crazy man price.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 1st, 2019, 8:45 pm

Yeah digicel is always bait and switch

Amplia only went after higher density higher income areas

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » April 1st, 2019, 9:04 pm

where is the telecommunications authority of T&T in all these forced increases?
and since they're absent / unhelpful, which ministry is responsible for them?

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 1st, 2019, 9:20 pm

wagonrunner wrote:where is the telecommunications authority of T&T in all these forced increases?
and since they're absent / unhelpful, which ministry is responsible for them?

Usually when PNM in power everybody does be extremely lazy and nobody tends to give a sh!t about anything because they know that they won't be held accountable.

How long now we supposed to have a 3rd phone company? we never got one to this day if anything the TATT seems to be aiding and abetting these phone companies. This whole country is beyond corrupt

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » April 2nd, 2019, 10:57 am

I started off paying $199 and then it increased to $229 which I'm currently paying still. That's for the net/phone/cable of which I only use the net.

If that jumps to $300 then what the actual fk...

killercow
Riding on 17's

Postby killercow » April 2nd, 2019, 11:05 am

Soul Collector wrote:I started off paying $199 and then it increased to $229 which I'm currently paying still. That's for the net/phone/cable of which I only use the net.

Spoke to a rep today and she said that Digicel is phasing out all old packages. The base bundle will start at $350. If you are on an old package (like me) and don't convert yourself they'll eventually just convert you to the nearest priced package.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » April 2nd, 2019, 11:07 am

Thing is, broadband is practically a necessity now. Add to that, they're doing "strategic" increases periodically in an amount that is just at the edge of what people are willing to tolerate...until the next increase.

Banks doing the same thing.

Anyways, it's a free market...switch packages, change providers etc. if the current arrangement isn't good value for money...:|

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » April 2nd, 2019, 11:19 am

$229 to $300? lol yikes

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » April 2nd, 2019, 11:20 am

killercow wrote:
Soul Collector wrote:I started off paying $199 and then it increased to $229 which I'm currently paying still. That's for the net/phone/cable of which I only use the net.

Spoke to a rep today and she said that Digicel is phasing out all old packages. The base bundle will start at $350. If you are on an old package (like me) and don't convert yourself they'll eventually just convert you to the nearest priced package.

Wow man, just wow. It's $350 you telling me there know, from $200...

I may need an internet connection, yes, but this to me is total fackery and I just won't stand for it. I will switch to whatever is the cheapest most reliable option without too much beat up just so I could tell digicel hdmc and come for their sheit on the road.

blitz83
Street 2NR

Postby blitz83 » April 2nd, 2019, 11:29 am

OP stick with Digicel na.

If not we go hear rant about ping, playing game and trace routes.

Who else agree?

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » April 2nd, 2019, 11:36 am

blitz83 wrote:OP stick with Digicel na.

If not we go hear rant about ping, playing game and trace routes.

Who else agree?

They've proven much more reliable so far in terms of gaming from my Flow days but don't spit on my face and expect me to still pay you for that sheit. I could like to game how much but see advantageous people, in this case a company, they could hdmc, my money will go elsewhere.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » April 2nd, 2019, 12:17 pm

oh yes, ED make this thread nah. Once again you can't bother to read, Digicel offers a symmetrical connection, unlike any other provider in TT. It's way better performance both ways. Unlike the 5Mbps upload that FLOW offers, and when that gets saturated with a torrent or Youtube video upload, the download suffers as well.

Asymmetrical connections are mostly fine, but modern demands from the ordinary internet user can actually take advantage of a symmetrical connection. Used to be in the past that only businesses could afford and actually utilize these kind of connections. But for a lot of people this option is worth it today. More small businesses and web development companies are run from home actually.

Digicel is offering something better for a higher price (on paper), don't complain if you cannot afford it.

https://www.wiline.com/blog/what-is-sym ... ternet.php

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » April 2nd, 2019, 3:46 pm

based on the site Digicel package of 300 for a Minimum 40mb download.

i have had digicel service for just over 3 years and have barely restarted the router or have had downtime.
with my previous Flow service restarting the router was a daily routine and back them i was paying for 30 mb and was getting 15ish mb download.

currently have the 75 mb Variety bundle:
at home- 2 laptops, 4 cells, 2 tablets, 2 TV for Netflix , and security CCTV. no issues whatsoever. even when i had 40mb same devices no issues.

Digicel Play service no regrets

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » April 3rd, 2019, 2:39 pm

maj. tom wrote:oh yes, ED make this thread nah. Once again you can't bother to read, Digicel offers a symmetrical connection, unlike any other provider in TT. It's way better performance both ways. Unlike the 5Mbps upload that FLOW offers, and when that gets saturated with a torrent or Youtube video upload, the download suffers as well.

Asymmetrical connections are mostly fine, but modern demands from the ordinary internet user can actually take advantage of a symmetrical connection. Used to be in the past that only businesses could afford and actually utilize these kind of connections. But for a lot of people this option is worth it today. More small businesses and web development companies are run from home actually.

Digicel is offering something better for a higher price (on paper), don't complain if you cannot afford it.

https://www.wiline.com/blog/what-is-sym ... ternet.php
How exactly does the symmetrical connection benefit the average user. Most people don't require fast upload speeds as they hardly spend time doing what you said. How much time every day do you spend uploading youtube videos? Even if you were uploading 1 video per day (unrealistic for even most top youtubers globally) you could still make do with 5Mbps. And don't get me started on torrenting. You clearly speaking out of your a$$ on that one.

I've had torrents running (5 active downloading with over 100 active seeding) and still been able to stream netflix on the TV and youtube on my phone. Of course the speed of the torrent dropped a little bit but leaving torrents active overnight is a very simple and easy solution.

The truth is that the majority of users will not notice any difference between a symmetrical or asymmetrical connection. I'm sure the reason for the asymmetrical connection in the first place was because somebody noticed that a symmetrical one was not needed for the majority of users and decided to offer it as a way to keep costs down for the consumer.

Tell me, is Digicel offering asymmetrical connections as well at a reduced price or is it forcing ALL customers to pay for a symmetrical connection that they will never utilise, far less notice?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » April 3rd, 2019, 2:47 pm

Ok well if you don't require that service... Don't pay for it. Use FLOW. Digicel not forcing anybody to do anything. People who know what they want a symmetrical connection for and still pay residential prices, they're happy. I'm not affected.

But the point was that Digicel's service was not the same as FLOW's and hence cannot be compared by price.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » April 3rd, 2019, 4:38 pm

maj. tom wrote:But the point was that Digicel's service was not the same as FLOW's and hence cannot be compared by price.

It's only being compared now because of these increases over time. I mean, when exactly will that stop? If I decide to take the hit (again) and just pay the extra based on my needs, what's to say a next increase not around the bloody corner? They seem to be coming rather steady over the years.

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » April 3rd, 2019, 5:18 pm

Would have mentioned it before, Digi seems to be in financial trouble. Prices may continue to increase.

Digicel’s riskiest new bonds start trading at 50% discount
Moody’s says Denis O’Brien-owned group’s high-debt capital structure ‘untenable’
Thu, Jan 17, 2019, 05:50

‘Junk’ territory

Moody’s, one of the world’s main credit ratings firms, has said that it’s Caa1 rating for the Digicel group, which is seven levels deep into “junk” territory, “reflects its high leverage and untenable capital structure, with the company still facing large debt maturities in the coming years and a weakening liquidity profile”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tec ... -1.3760460

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 3rd, 2019, 5:42 pm

mitch1980 wrote:based on the site Digicel package of 300 for a Minimum 40mb download.

i have had digicel service for just over 3 years and have barely restarted the router or have had downtime.
with my previous Flow service restarting the router was a daily routine and back them i was paying for 30 mb and was getting 15ish mb download.

currently have the 75 mb Variety bundle:
at home- 2 laptops, 4 cells, 2 tablets, 2 TV for Netflix , and security CCTV. no issues whatsoever. even when i had 40mb same devices no issues.

Digicel Play service no regrets

I used to have major issues with Flow then when I upgraded to 100mbps every disconnect issue was completely solved and it works 99.9% perfect now.

I have a friend from Central and he claims his Digicel gives him a lot of issue. So if you were to ask me I would say like everything technology wise it is a hit or miss when it comes to reliability.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 3rd, 2019, 5:49 pm

maj. tom wrote:Ok well if you don't require that service... Don't pay for it. Use FLOW. Digicel not forcing anybody to do anything. People who know what they want a symmetrical connection for and still pay residential prices, they're happy. I'm not affected.

But the point was that Digicel's service was not the same as FLOW's and hence cannot be compared by price.

To me the upload speed and symmetrical connection is kinda worthless tho I might use it for uploading some fighting game streams as I do feel it with Flow when trying to upload recordings to youtube. However I do value Digicel's ISP peering agreement and extremely efficient international routing which they actually do go out of their way and pay a premium to obtain. Where as Flow uses the cheapest routes possible so latency with Digicel is miles better than Flow.

For now I will stick with Flow as I am on a special deal they offered me years ago in the agreement I won't switch to Digicel. I do Hope digicel sorts out their debt and stuff they seem to be in huge financial problems so in all fairness I can sort of understand why they are increasing pricing. It sucks for those who can't switch to flow but Digicel did run fibre in the bush behind god back, something no other company was willing to do.

Perhaps in some ways we could look at it from that point of view. Trinidad is a country such that there is so many rural areas and the land mass is so huge that it really was very expensive for Digicel to run those fiber lines in squatting areas and thing where only a handful of people would take internet but they did it anyways

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » April 3rd, 2019, 6:27 pm

Competition is always a good thing. But nobody forcing you to use a service because there are more than 3 providers for the entire country. And all offer different things. Depends on what the customer wants. You may ask why some people would pay for TSTT's ridiculous broadband prices and they seem to be offering much less than the other Big 2. But yet people are still purchasing their services and being loyal customers. They cater for their market and demographics. They hire people to decide these plans after much research that you and I have no clue about.

If you all think Digicel's prices are getting too high, then Flow can hook you up in less than 5 working days. But there are people who will stick with them because of what they offer, and at a reasonable price. If market forces are against them, then Digicel will fail, that's all.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » April 3rd, 2019, 7:30 pm

if the bundle price is $350 that good, perhaps having internet alone at minimum speed for just $50 less they trying to push ppl toward the bundle?

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 3rd, 2019, 7:52 pm

redmanjp wrote:if the bundle price is $350 that good, perhaps having internet alone at minimum speed for just $50 less they trying to push ppl toward the bundle?

^ this could be it I suspect. But as the other guy pointed out in the article he posted Digicel is in serious financial problems, so you really can't blame them if this is what they have to do to survive.

People like me are in the very few who just purchase internet alone, most households use both Television and Internet service, so this raise won't affect most people. I think is only a handful of people does take internet alone, I personally rather use Netflix than watch cable TV tho

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » April 4th, 2019, 5:02 pm

maj. tom wrote:Competition is always a good thing. But nobody forcing you to use a service because there are more than 3 providers for the entire country. And all offer different things. Depends on what the customer wants. You may ask why some people would pay for TSTT's ridiculous broadband prices and they seem to be offering much less than the other Big 2. But yet people are still purchasing their services and being loyal customers. They cater for their market and demographics. They hire people to decide these plans after much research that you and I have no clue about.

If you all think Digicel's prices are getting too high, then Flow can hook you up in less than 5 working days. But there are people who will stick with them because of what they offer, and at a reasonable price. If market forces are against them, then Digicel will fail, that's all.

I agree that this is not an issue in areas where all services are available. The problem is in areas where there is less competition. Another tuner above mentioned only Digicel and TSTT DSL being available in some rural areas. People like that basically f*cked is what I'm saying.

Also, note that a dangerous precedent has been set where service providers get rid of cheaper but completely adequate packages to force customers to pay for services that they don't need or will never use. Remember when bmobile started offering unlimited data for $345 and completely removed the 2GB monthly data plan for $150? Thankfully enough people complained that they brought back a limited data plan but now its 3GB data for $215.

Right now this issue doesn't affect me but it may in the future and it is affecting other people right now, so why ignore it?

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » April 4th, 2019, 6:36 pm

digicel i feel yall lurking in this thread. when you raise the price again in july/august is the lowest package gonna be 100mb for $350 ?
just throwing some ideas out there for you.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » April 4th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Also, note that a dangerous precedent has been set where service providers get rid of cheaper but completely adequate packages to force customers to pay for services that they don't need or will never use. Remember when bmobile started offering unlimited data for $345 and completely removed the 2GB monthly data plan for $150? Thankfully enough people complained that they brought back a limited data plan but now its 3GB data for $215.

Right now this issue doesn't affect me but it may in the future and it is affecting other people right now, so why ignore it?

Exactly the kind of thing Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago should prevent as the branch of consumer affairs for those industries. But who knows what the firettruck they really doing?
Retirees (pension is the primary income) were quite happy with subscribing to a 15mb service
Jan 2017 - $199 - 15Mb
Nov 2017 - $209 - 20Mb
Aug 2018 - $229 - 30Mb
Mar 2019 - $249 - 40Mb.

They were quite good with 15Mb bundle., occasional news videos online, web browsing, email and whatsapp.
They don't need 40Mb for that, and the television channels in the bundles keep getting worse.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”