Forums

Rebooting manually router everytime electricity cuts

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Rebooting manually router everytime electricity cuts

Postby aaron17 » April 27th, 2019, 9:31 am

I have a problem. I have to do this everytime and is a pain.
I have a flow wired connection box connected to a wifi router. When electricity goes and comes back...I have to take out the power in both boxes, start the flow box, wait about 30 secs and then power the router until it stabilises. If the connection does not come back, I would have to go in the router and to reboot it in the settings. I called flow about an all in one wireless box but they said that an external wifi one will always perform better. linksys wrt120n is my router. By getting a new router would solve the problem? I would like when the power comes and goes for it to reset and normalize automatically. Thanks.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Re: Rebooting manually router everytime electricity cuts

Postby Gladiator » April 27th, 2019, 9:35 am

get a UPS

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 27th, 2019, 9:36 am

get a UPS

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 27th, 2019, 9:49 am

What kind?

l33t2
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby l33t2 » April 27th, 2019, 9:53 am

Sounds fun

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » April 27th, 2019, 9:54 am

aaron17 wrote:What kind?

PriceSmart has but you will have to see how much money you are willing to spend , their routers use minimal energy so when current goes for an hour or two you should be safe

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 27th, 2019, 10:00 am

What about if flow on their end is down? Would the ups work for that? I doubt since ups is for electricity.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » April 27th, 2019, 10:26 am

1st of all, what wrong with the Flow built-in router? You have the white Connect-Box right? I use it and it works fine, never had a dropped connection, and have decent coverage. The cable modem reboots faster than the wifi router, and that often means a manual hard reboot on your router. The Flow Connect-box has software that solves this issue. Older routers don't have this and you often get a DHCP addressing problem from the router likely because the ISP modem connection boots up first and gives the router the same LAN IP address (192.168.0.1) as the default for the router causing a conflict. This is why most public wifi never works and cannot assign a device ip address because they never reboot the blasted router when power fails. It can help if you change the ip address range on your router to something like 10.0.0.1, but don't count on it too much.

2nd, update the firmware on your Linksys device. Find the device in Linksys support, do some reading, and if you brick it that's your business.

3rd, get a UPS and use the battery backup plugs for your critical hardware. If the Flow cable down, then call Flow, the UPS can't help you.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » April 27th, 2019, 1:13 pm

maj. tom wrote:you often get a DHCP addressing problem from the router likely because the ISP modem connection boots up first and gives the router the same LAN IP address (192.168.0.1) as the default for the router causing a conflict. This is why most public wifi never works and cannot assign a device ip address because they never reboot the blasted router when power fails.

ip addresses do not change to default due to power outages. else he'd still have to do your method each time.
but setting a static ip on the linksys router wan connection would work best.
changes are the linksys box comes up, gets no ip from the flow box, and assigns itself a 169.x.x.x ip.
if left alone long enough, it would get the correct ip from the flow box eventually, but OP has no time with that so he power cycles it again.

I have not used the stock linksys firmware in so long, i cannot remember if there is a setting for dhcp interval on the wan connection.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » April 27th, 2019, 7:34 pm

maj. tom wrote:1st of all, what wrong with the Flow built-in router? You have the white Connect-Box right? I use it and it works fine, never had a dropped connection, and have decent coverage. The cable modem reboots faster than the wifi router, and that often means a manual hard reboot on your router. The Flow Connect-box has software that solves this issue. Older routers don't have this and you often get a DHCP addressing problem from the router likely because the ISP modem connection boots up first and gives the router the same LAN IP address (192.168.0.1) as the default for the router causing a conflict. This is why most public wifi never works and cannot assign a device ip address because they never reboot the blasted router when power fails. It can help if you change the ip address range on your router to something like 10.0.0.1, but don't count on it too much.

2nd, update the firmware on your Linksys device. Find the device in Linksys support, do some reading, and if you brick it that's your business.

3rd, get a UPS and use the battery backup plugs for your critical hardware. If the Flow cable down, then call Flow, the UPS can't help you.
Yeepp basically the problem there....

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 27th, 2019, 8:20 pm

maj. tom wrote:1st of all, what wrong with the Flow built-in router? You have the white Connect-Box right? I use it and it works fine, never had a dropped connection, and have decent coverage. The cable modem reboots faster than the wifi router, and that often means a manual hard reboot on your router. The Flow Connect-box has software that solves this issue. Older routers don't have this and you often get a DHCP addressing problem from the router likely because the ISP modem connection boots up first and gives the router the same LAN IP address (192.168.0.1) as the default for the router causing a conflict. This is why most public wifi never works and cannot assign a device ip address because they never reboot the blasted router when power fails. It can help if you change the ip address range on your router to something like 10.0.0.1, but don't count on it too much.

When I first aquired flow a few years ago.. they provided me with the wireless box. For me the wifi was dropping constantly.Flow said this box does give trouble and the wired box connected to an external wifi router works better. It did. But recently flow acting up....on their end....and then power cuts ...which means the problem of a long hardbooting instead of a simple automatic boot.

Is the white box a newer version? I need some ports in the back as well.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » April 28th, 2019, 2:26 am

ah yes...ye ole router / modem fighting for supremacy. lol

had the same issue when I was with flow....my modem would boot first and play boss over my WiFi router. At the end of the day it was a DHCP problem as Maj. Tom said.

PM me when u get a chance OP...install teamviewer and I can check it out for u... We'll update your firmware (if possible) and do some troubleshooting and post the results here to help others.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » April 28th, 2019, 6:26 am

Neither Tomato nor DD-WRT has support for the Linksys WRT120N. Checking the Linksys support page, that router is old, last firmware released in 2012. The hardware was released 2009. That's 10 years!

So Aaron, call Flow and tell them your internet giving trouble, that the speed only dropping randomly. Tell them that you have the old modem, and want to upgrade to the new white Connect-Box modem. They will send someone and upgrade it for free. Mine was upgraded for free. Tell them what I telling u here eh, don't give them a set of sad story about your router. That should solve your issues. You're using outdated hardware.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 28th, 2019, 7:09 am

maj. tom wrote:Neither Tomato nor DD-WRT has support for the Linksys WRT120N. Checking the Linksys support page, that router is old, last firmware released in 2012. The hardware was released 2009. That's 10 years!

So Aaron, call Flow and tell them your internet giving trouble, that the speed only dropping randomly. Tell them that you have the old modem, and want to upgrade to the new white Connect-Box modem. They will send someone and upgrade it for free. Mine was upgraded for free. Tell them what I telling u here eh, don't give them a set of sad story about your router. That should solve your issues. You're using outdated hardware.
Ok i will do that.. thx

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”