TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

PODCAST - Episode 15 - Dr. Dr. Luis Guío Suárez (PhD Int. Law, Colombia) - Corruption!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

MG Man
2NRholic

Re: UPDATE - Podcast live (beta) Interested in Feedback

Postby MG Man » May 18th, 2019, 11:58 am

ah whut?

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » May 18th, 2019, 1:40 pm

MG Man wrote:ah whut?

Well thats what I going to find out! Lol.

Edit: Show postponed due to technical difficulties. The Orisha temple didn't have an electrical outlet to plug in my stuff :(

The Orisha priest was real cool though. Definitely gonna go back and do a show once we get stuff in order

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » May 20th, 2019, 7:33 am

nice, looking forward to that one

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Re: Starting a podcast. Interested in feedback

Postby Slartibartfast » May 21st, 2019, 2:57 pm

maj. tom wrote:History is always a good topic, and you know you can invite professors and cultural icons and get things documented for Trinidad and Tobago. And document some really old people stories too. I remember a very old guy was telling me how he used to ride the rails in the 1930s and all the baytee he was with in the cane fields... and I wish I could have listened to him all day, how his face lit up with memories. Document experiences during WWII. They're almost all gone. This is a big reason why our country, and most 3rd world countries are so lost in their self-development. The history is not documented properly and taught to the next generation.

Took a day off work today to sit down with Professor Selwyn Cudjoe. I still have two podcasts that I am editing the videos for so that one may take a while to be released but this was definitely the most fun podcast so far. He is also an advocate for black empowerment and shared his views on the current state of our African and black youth and even answered my questions as to why blacks and Africans are not empowered even after having a black prime minister for the first 33 years of our independence.

Also, he just published a book called "The Slave Master of Trinidad" so there was a ton of random history thrown in there.

Sadly he could only be on for about an hour so we could not go as in depth into some topics as I liked. Anyway, he knows that he has an open invitation to come back on the podcast in the future and he likes the idea of the podcast so I should be able to get him back on when he comes back into the country.

If you guys want to know anything in particular about local African history let me know and I can take note of it for the next podcast I do with him.

https://www.wellesley.edu/africana/faculty/cudjoe
Books
http://www.selwyncudjoe.com/new-page
Blog
http://www.trinicenter.com/Cudjoe/

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

UPDATE - Podcast EP05 Live - Interested in Feedb

Postby Slartibartfast » June 3rd, 2019, 11:47 am

UPDATE 03-06-2019

Episode 05 - Professor Selwyn Cudjoe

Professor Cudjoe is a university professor, local historian, author and political activist.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 3rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

Have not really looked at this chead, so will give some comments when I go over it.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » June 3rd, 2019, 1:36 pm

Nobody

zoom rader wrote:Have not really looked at this chead, so will give some comments when I go over it.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Re: UPDATE - Podcast EP05 Live - Interested in Feedb

Postby zoom rader » June 3rd, 2019, 4:45 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:UPDATE 03-06-2019

Professor Cudjoe is a university professor, local historian, author and political activist.
Very Good on this podcast

But it's really nothing new. Over the years on tuners I tried to explain various trini History especiallly the British/US Black Soilders of Moruga, it was not only Moruga but also New Grant & Hard Bargain . These Soilders was paid in land rather than coin cause at the time the Brits was broke and used this deal.

The name of "New Grant" was given because it was a new grant given to the black British Soilders at that time. Most of them went in to farming as free men.

The Village of Hard Bargain was given to the troops and because the land was of little use, they called it a Hard Bargain as it was a hard deal for them.

There is far more history to tell, but some folk just don't want to recall the past nor hear about it.

Rough lands for Afros and lagoons for injuns. As he said it was always a fight down, and it continues with our new slave masters.

I think he made an error as slavery ended in 1834 so no slaves built the building he described as in 1837

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » June 3rd, 2019, 5:51 pm

zoom rader wrote:

But it's really nothing new. Over the years on tuners I tried to explain various trini History especiallly the British/US Black Soilders of Moruga, it was not only Moruga but also New Grant & Hard Bargain . These Soilders was paid in land rather than coin cause at the time the Brits was broke and used this deal.

The name of "New Grant" was given because it was a new grant given to the black British Soilders at that time. Most of them went in to farming as free men.

The Village of Hard Bargain was given to the troops and because the land was of little use, they called it a Hard Bargain as it was a hard deal for them.

There is far more history to tell, but some folk just don't want to recall the past nor hear about it.

Rough lands for Afros and lagoons for injuns. As he said it was always a fight down, and it continues with our new slave masters.

I think he made an error as slavery ended in 1834 so no slaves built the building he described as in 1837

Thanks zoom. I know a lot of this history might be old news (pun intended, lol) to fellas like you but this younger generation (me included) is ignorant of most of it. Most people my age that not from south have no idea about that history.

Anyway, he agreed to come on again anytime I ready once he in trini so I'll have a next one with him where we go more in depth into more specific stories. I just have to give his new book a read first.

I really want to get someone in that could talk about our local history from an indian and native trinidadian perspectives as well though. If you have any ideas let me know.

I still have to organise one with the babalao priest (obeah man). Just need to find a venue cuz his temple has nowhere to plug in.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 3rd, 2019, 9:22 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
zoom rader wrote:

Thanks zoom. I know a lot of this history might be old news (pun intended, lol) to fellas like you but this younger generation (me included) is ignorant of most of it. Most people my age that not from south have no idea about that history.

Anyway, he agreed to come on again anytime I ready once he in trini so I'll have a next one with him where we go more in depth into more specific stories. I just have to give his new book a read first.

I really want to get someone in that could talk about our local history from an indian and native trinidadian perspectives as well though. If you have any ideas let me know.

I still have to organise one with the babalao priest (obeah man). Just need to find a venue cuz his temple has nowhere to plug in.
Getting an old Indo to talk about history is a bit difficult, they not interested. Those that are , are very controversial and will go off on an different angle if the interview goes off. By all means try getting Sat to talk from his prospective. Try getting him to talk about life before 1956 , If you don't he's gonna blame PNM for stuff.

Do continue with Cudjoe

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » June 4th, 2019, 11:49 am

zoom rader wrote:Getting an old Indo to talk about history is a bit difficult, they not interested. Those that are , are very controversial and will go off on an different angle if the interview goes off. By all means try getting Sat to talk from his prospective. Try getting him to talk about life before 1956 , If you don't he's gonna blame PNM for stuff.

Do continue with Cudjoe

That's a good idea. I'll try to get Sat on but you know I'll eventually have to bring up a discussion about child marriage.

All jokes aside though I'm sure he didn't get that position just so. I'm sure he will have some interesting stuff to say.

Country_Bookie
punchin NOS

Postby Country_Bookie » June 5th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Good start on the whole podcasting thing. It's a good addition to our local media. I disagree with the others about Sat and Cujo. While they have a lot of knowledge, their utterances over the years have painted both of them as some odd the nastiest racists in public life.
There's other ppl u can find to bring on your podcast who are not as controversial as these 2. Ppl like me are immediately turned off when I see either of those 2 names. While u want guests that are interesting, u don't want to turn off a big part of your potential audience by bringing offensive speakers. Just my $0.02. Wait should I round that down to 0 now that nowhere accepts cents anymore?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 5th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Country_Bookie wrote:Good start on the whole podcasting thing. It's a good addition to our local media. I disagree with the others about Sat and Cujo. While they have a lot of knowledge, their utterances over the years have painted both of them as some odd the nastiest racists in public life.
There's other ppl u can find to bring on your podcast who are not as controversial as these 2. Ppl like me are immediately turned off when I see either of those 2 names. While u want guests that are interesting, u don't want to turn off a big part of your potential audience by bringing offensive speakers. Just my $0.02. Wait should I round that down to 0 now that nowhere accepts cents anymore?
That's why I told OP dont engage Sat in history after 1956.

On Sats radio program he explains some of indo history, the man is a walking book of history on the indo prospective, but few recognise him as they all quick to jump on he's a racist.

Cudjoe podcast was very good.

David Mohammed use to explain trini afro history in detail on his radio program. He was the only one beside Morgan Job that went into detail.

People that are turned off from these folk are not into real history. I listen to all of them even Umbala knows more than the agv Trini.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 5th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Not to side track OP chead.

This is a must read book that tells of true life in 1920s trinidad.

th.jpeg.jpeg

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » June 6th, 2019, 6:41 am

zoom rader wrote:
Country_Bookie wrote:Good start on the whole podcasting thing. It's a good addition to our local media. I disagree with the others about Sat and Cujo. While they have a lot of knowledge, their utterances over the years have painted both of them as some odd the nastiest racists in public life.
That's why I told OP dont engage Sat in history after 1956.

On Sats radio program he explains some of indo history, the man is a walking book of history on the indo prospective, but few recognise him as they all quick to jump on he's a racist.

Cudjoe podcast was very good.

David Mohammed use to explain trini afro history in detail on his radio program. He was the only one beside Morgan Job that went into detail.

People that are turned off from these folk are not into real history. I listen to all of them even Umbala knows more than the agv Trini.

Thanks Country Bookie.

Part of the idea is to capture the personalities that make up TnT. Sat and Cudjoe included. There will be many other non-offensive guests for other viewers. I'm trying to be as neutral as possible to create a safe space for the sharing of ideas.

I think people like Sat and Cudjoe not as racist as people think. I think they just got too caught up in what they fighting and come across as racist when people are constantly attacking their beliefs. You don't really get chance for that type of discussion in TV interviews that have a set topic or agenda. At least in Prof. Cudjoe case I could say the man is a very patriotic trini that wants to see black people do better. If you talk to him in a way that is not attacking his beliefs you see that he has nothing against indian people.

I can't speak for Sat as yet though. I hope if I get him on the experience will be as positive as Prof Cudjoe's own.

And yeah zoom, gonna add that book to my reading list.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » June 8th, 2019, 5:06 pm

On the topic of black empowerment vs. racism.

Think some of you all might find this interesting

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 8th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:On the topic of black empowerment vs. racism.

Another good podcast. I wish more tuners will look at this and learn something. When I explained these things over the years I am called racist, anti trini ect. There are alot of ignorant folk by the masses around.

As he said hardly anyone reads 3 newspapers. There is a reason for that as the media houses are all controlled by one group of people. The nation is slowly programed to read trash and many half truths. Same reason why I don't look at some TV stations. I stopped buying newspapers a few years. I will read it. But I am not spending my money to buy it. The same way I spend my money at 99% of trini bussiness. If black people (black and Indian) want empowerment they should know where to spend their money. Stop supporting these people.

He talks about Sat and hindu schools maintaining their culture , there are alot of folk that veiw this as racists because there are ingorant. They think anything Hindu is to worship idols ect. As Cudjoe said before 1955 these school did not exist and Indian folk was left behind.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » June 10th, 2019, 10:52 am

zoom rader wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:On the topic of black empowerment vs. racism.

Another good podcast. I wish more tuners will look at this and learn something. When I explained these things over the years I am called racist, anti trini ect. There are alot of ignorant folk by the masses around.

As he said hardly anyone reads 3 newspapers. There is a reason for that as the media houses are all controlled by one group of people. The nation is slowly programed to read trash and many half truths. Same reason why I don't look at some TV stations. I stopped buying newspapers a few years. I will read it. But I am not spending my money to buy it. The same way I spend my money at 99% of trini bussiness. If black people (black and Indian) want empowerment they should know where to spend their money. Stop supporting these people.

He talks about Sat and hindu schools maintaining their culture , there are alot of folk that veiw this as racists because there are ingorant. They think anything Hindu is to worship idols ect. As Cudjoe said before 1955 these school did not exist and Indian folk was left behind.

I feel I'm beginning to understand your perspective a bit better now. I had previously written you off as racist but that seemed to be me oversimplifying your pointa of view which is something I'm trying to avoid. Since starting this I've been meeting a lot of people and the more people I interact with is the more I see that trinis aren't as simple as we like to pretend we are. I think we act simply because we are treated like simpletons and we treat oursleves like simpletons because we act simply. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy. A good example is the "Trinidad is not a real place" meme that seems to be catching on.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 10th, 2019, 12:41 pm

^^^ You are going in right direction, keep chatting to more folk and especially from different ecthic back grounds and groups . Get their insite on Trinidad history from their angle. People see history different from their culture. Nearly every group will say history is against them or they where left behind.
Who knows maybe you can write a
Paper on this research by comparing your findings.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Re: UPDATE - Local Podcast - (iTunes, Google, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn, Podbean)

Postby nick639v2 » June 12th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Loving the Spotify addition, listening atm.

Good job brother.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Re: UPDATE - Local Podcast - (iTunes, Google, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn, Podbean)

Postby Slartibartfast » June 12th, 2019, 10:35 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Loving the Spotify addition, listening atm.

Good job brother.

Noice! Glad you enjoying it. Gonna try to keep them coming.

If anyone wants it available in another podcast directory just let me know and I'll see what I can do. Also, most podcast apps allow younto add the rss feed which is at the bottom of the website.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Re: PODCAST - EP07 - Nikoli Edwards - Progressive Party Founder (iTunes, Google, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn, Podbean)

Postby Slartibartfast » June 17th, 2019, 8:21 am

New Podcast Available.

Let's Talk About It EP07 | Nikoli Edwards

Nikoli Edwards is the founder and leader of the Progressive Party. Edwards was elected to the Commonwealth Youth Council in November 2015 and serves as Vice Chair for Policy, Advocacy and Projects. He is also founder and chair of the Trinidad and Tobago Youth Convention.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/progressivestt

Comment. Like. Subscribe.

Keep updated with Let's Talk About It on you favourite social media platform. Join the website and become a part of the discussion.

Forums: https://www.letstalkaboutit.media/forums

Podcast: http://podcast.letstalkaboutit.media/

meccalli
punchin NOS

Re: PODCAST - EP07 - Nikoli Edwards - Progressive Party Founder (iTunes, Google, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn, Podbean)

Postby meccalli » June 18th, 2019, 5:47 am

From persons who worked with him while he was on guild at UWI, heard nothing but good things in terms of leadership and proactivity.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 18th, 2019, 6:45 am

Reading they looking to contest the general next year...good luck to them, imo I dont see them gathering that much support to sway anything though...if they around in 2025, something could happen

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » June 18th, 2019, 10:34 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Reading they looking to contest the general next year...good luck to them, imo I dont see them gathering that much support to sway anything though...if they around in 2025, something could happen

I was telling him this as well. Especially after COP joined with UNC they kind of soured the field for new independent parties starting up. But, we need to put out the effort now and pay serious attention to all the independent parties coming out now. Sure there will be more waste of times ones than any thing else but if we don't continue to pay attention we will not recognise the change we want when we see it and it will pass us by.

I'm not endorsing anybody, I'm just saying if you really serious about change you would pay attention to what he has to say, and PEA, and Panday, because you never know where change will come from.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 18th, 2019, 10:49 am

may the best man win. i want a change. he sounding good, but more or less the same tings that PEP says.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 18th, 2019, 10:57 am

I respect the youth for jumping in the ring...im all for it but you all know the reality too well...he spoke about depending on supporters to finance...we all know that not working out in his favor.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » June 21st, 2019, 8:35 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:I respect the youth for jumping in the ring...im all for it but you all know the reality too well...he spoke about depending on supporters to finance...we all know that not working out in his favor.

I guess our current government is a classic case of "you get what you pay for"

Sheriff!
Sweet on this forum
Location: Some Where Out There Shouting "All'uh Buy Zorce From Meh Na"

Re: Starting a podcast. Interested in feedback

Postby Sheriff! » June 22nd, 2019, 6:59 pm

MG Man wrote:Why do indo trinis feel everything wrong with this country has to do with our negro brethren?

Why we as a people rant and complain on facebook but nobody is willing to make the personal sacrifices that will make this country a better place to live?

Sat Maraj and Leroy Clarke: they are different but similar: discuss

Things we need to legalize: herb, prostitution (with mandate that hookers must provide current std screening certificates and a list of 'will and won't do's' before transactions are made

So much sense..........

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”