TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

How many tuners with kids that would......

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

How many tuners with kids that would......

Postby Ben_spanna » May 16th, 2019, 3:21 pm

How many tuners here have kids that will soon be going for their drivers permit will allow them to go and get a simple Automatic only permit and how many would spur on their kids to go and learn on the ole standard shifter like we had to?

And how many tuners themselves can only drive Automatic?

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: How many tuners with kids that would......

Postby gastly369 » May 16th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Manualllllllll

Up to meh dog better be driving stick shift in this dam house

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 16th, 2019, 4:13 pm

When I learned manual with the instructor, he encouraged me to get a Haynes manual to really understand what was going on in there. It was a Nissan Sunny B14. Next few lessons it became quite easy because I could visualize that entire system and what I was really doing with the clutch.

I think learning manual will make a boy appreciate the newer technologies in transmissions, and be able to control the car better.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 16th, 2019, 4:25 pm

gastly369 wrote:Manualllllllll

Up to meh dog better be driving stick shift in this dam house

Same

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 16th, 2019, 4:27 pm

I have a manual permit.
Wife auto.

When the time comes for my 5yo, I'll teach her manual. Not sure if stickshift will be around by then tho.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 16th, 2019, 4:59 pm

my 17 yr old is currently doing his... manual. TBH he could have done automatic and it would not have bothered me, I don't envision him driving a manual vehicle anytime soon

l33t2
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby l33t2 » May 16th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Why? Just get some paddle shifters in the end.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 16th, 2019, 5:59 pm

back in my time only gyul used to go for automatic license , all guys went for manual license - dunno what nowadays fellers does choose especially how some of dem does wear tight pants & tight clothes

not because u doh own a manual vehicle doh mean u will never drive 1 , must have a day when u will need it so might as well have d ability & license to drive both ...

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » May 16th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Did some manual lessons then I just ended up doing the test with an auto vehicle. The instructor came up to me while I was doing my 3 point turn and ask if ah want manual, pass ah $200, just like that. Said I had no money and I was cool. When license came, it was manual.

All these years after that and up till now, I never had the opportunity to drive a manual vehicle on a regular basis or almost any at all. I can drive it, but not at the level of comfort and confidence I'd like to, especially in tricky situations where I have no experience yet. Hoping to drop a gearbox in my car later on though, along with some other things to match and truly get to enjoy my vehicle.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » May 16th, 2019, 6:50 pm

maj. tom wrote:When I learned manual with the instructor, he encouraged me to get a Haynes manual to really understand what was going on in there. It was a Nissan Sunny B14. Next few lessons it became quite easy because I could visualize that entire system and what I was really doing with the clutch.

I think learning manual will make a boy appreciate the newer technologies in transmissions, and be able to control the car better.
I hear haynes manual is 50 percent off..limited time?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 16th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Rovin wrote:back in my time only gyul used to go for automatic license , all guys went for manual license - dunno what nowadays fellers does choose especially how some of dem does wear tight pants & tight clothes

not because u doh own a manual vehicle doh mean u will never drive 1 , must have a day when u will need it so might as well have d ability & license to drive both ...
22 years driving and never had the need to drive a manual. Don't anticipate the need to come either. Have a manual permit but don't know how competent I would be given the lack of wheel time with a clutch

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 16th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Rovin wrote:back in my time only gyul used to go for automatic license , all guys went for manual license - dunno what nowadays fellers does choose especially how some of dem does wear tight pants & tight clothes

have man calling roadside assistance to change flat tyre.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 16th, 2019, 10:18 pm

I did manual, cant say the driving school taught me jack sh1t.
My parents, didn't teach me jack sh1t either.
Drove mostly auto many years after getting my permit cuz mom and dad never buy jack sh1t for me, had to buy my own ride.
In later years I fully understood how a manual transmission worked and had the pleasure of owning one of the easiest vehicles to drive, Nissan d22 frontier, 5 speed manual. Mastered that and when switching between that and the automatic vehicle I used to run into problems driving auto. Got accustomed sinking the accelerator pedal, release and slam the shifter up from 2nd to 3rd. Used to panic mash and hit the f**king brakes for clutch while feeling for a clutch pedal or slam it in neutral for third. Sold that and got the subaru.
Best part is the same driving school that didn't teach me jack sh1t does be telling students "I teach dah man to drive" when they see the car passing. 0X

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » May 16th, 2019, 10:53 pm

they will learn manual just to know have it.. i did not learn anything from the driving school either.... i bought a KE70 4 speed manual as my first car.. first few drives I would hear the clutchplate grinding cuz i was doing shiz i mash up gearbox 2 times one time because of gearoil leak :lol:.. currently driving a 5 speed B2500 but not a daily just cuz i does feel to drive manual sometimes

manual is fun to drive but not in this mc traffic

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 16th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Cant push start an auto
Cant stop an auto with failed brakes
Cant drive an auto with failed transmission. Drove my bt50 from past rio claro back to fyzabad with no clutch. Slave cylinder blew out. And had time to stop for beers.
Seems too many companies had issues with automatic transmissions and they need to be repaired or owners not maintaining them. Many throw brake fluid in shot transmission to make seals swell and temporarily work.
I agree the stick shift like its dead as most vehicles going auto now, but what fun cars they ahve as of late anyways? Long live the stick shift. :evilbat:

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 17th, 2019, 12:01 am

Doesn't make a damn difference. Whatever my kids comfortable with.

I drove a twin turbo vehicle with copper clutch everyday in that north south traffic.
At my age now I appreciate a grocery getter with an auto. I'll can't stand that sheit anymore.

Keyser Soze
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Keyser Soze » May 17th, 2019, 4:44 am

rollingstock wrote:Doesn't make a damn difference. Whatever my kids comfortable with.

I drove a twin turbo vehicle with copper clutch everyday in that north south traffic.
At my age now I appreciate a grocery getter with an auto. I'll can't stand that sheit anymore.

This explains it all for me.

Had permit for about 25 years and it was more important back then than it is now IMO. After hitting the daily lady young traffic with an ACT clutch with an A31 cefiro i bought an A33 to use during the week, then realized how little sense that manual thing making in this time.... unless you have a race vehicle. Van is auto now and the only exercise my left foot gets these days is when I doing squats. Too old for that sheit now.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » May 17th, 2019, 6:15 am

got my permit automatic, i own a manual pickup for the past 8 months or so. It has its time of being fun but gets annoying so quickly. My first vehicle was a box lancer, that was manual too.

drove automatic for 3 years, doesn't really have a preference, but then again my commute isnt that much. 160km a week?

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » May 17th, 2019, 6:32 am

How many new cars are available locally from the dealor?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 17th, 2019, 7:10 am

SR wrote:How many new cars are available locally from the dealor?
Not many cars, pick ups yes

Few years ago I had to twist Fords arm in bringing in one for me . Had to deal with dumb arse salesmen to get it done. Keep getting offers to buy from folk cause most have never seen a manual car. In early 80s about 75% of cars were manual. Now it's like 0%.

A manual car keeps you more alert and focused on the road. It is a pain to drive in heavy traffic but nothing beats having more control over your car on those twisty roads and up and down hills.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 17th, 2019, 7:37 am

Maybe none. A hyundai rep was telling me the manual elantras they offered a year or two ago was actually a mistake. A staff member mistakenly ordered manual instead of autos and Massy ketch they tail to sell those manuals. That's why 2.0l cars were less than 200k.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 17th, 2019, 9:31 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
Maybe none. A hyundai rep was telling me the manual elantras they offered a year or two ago was actually a mistake. A staff member mistakenly ordered manual instead of autos and Massy ketch they tail to sell those manuals. That's why 2.0l cars were less than 200k.
This is not really true.

In the pass and up to now salesmen push auto cause it's more money involved for them. Manual cars are cheaper to buy.

Salesmen changed the culture of driving for their own greed

In Europe manual cars sell more that that autos.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 17th, 2019, 9:40 am

Your calling the actual rep in Massy a liar? What has he to gain to say they ordered manual by mistake and they not selling? Even the 160 k price for a 2l engine and added flairs weren't enticing trinis to buy those cars so clearly its not the company fault they bring autos only.
zoom rader wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
This is not really true.

In the pass and up to now salesmen push auto cause it's more money involved for them. Manual cars are cheaper to buy.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 17th, 2019, 9:43 am

Dizzy28 wrote:Your calling the actual rep in Massy a liar? What has he to gain to say they ordered manual by mistake and they not selling? Even the 160 k price for a 2l engine and added flairs weren't enticing trinis to buy those cars so clearly its not the company fault they bring autos only.
zoom rader wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
This is not really true.

What i said is that salesmens have pushed to sell autos in favour of manual because it is more money for them .

Car dealers changed the culture of driving over the years

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » May 17th, 2019, 11:00 am

I drive manual cars and have done for all but 1 of the past 8 cars I drove. No real reason other than i am used to them and and ZR said in other countries manual is far more common than automatic so its good to be able to drive a rental without killing yourself cause you cant use gears.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » May 17th, 2019, 11:11 am

eliteauto wrote:my 17 yr old is currently doing his... manual. TBH he could have done automatic and it would not have bothered me, I don't envision him driving a manual vehicle anytime soon

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 17....

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » May 17th, 2019, 11:12 am

Many years still, but manual as of now...still.

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » May 17th, 2019, 11:20 am

best vehicle to learn with is a manual vehicle, you will learn to control your vehicle and be more focus.

i learnt to drive with a manual vehicle when i was 10 years old, i prefer manual over automatic any day, except when there is traffic..i like manual so much, i bought a tiptronic vehicle to imitate the drive of a manual vehicle..

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 17th, 2019, 11:39 am

they could go for whatever they prefer, manual or auto, is up to them if they choose to limit themselves.
& if they choose to limit themselves, they better know they eh livin in my house wit dat slacker mentality.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 17th, 2019, 12:21 pm

I learned to drive gears on the column shift madness(datsun 710).....never forget to send the lever up is first gear, pull it to you and bring it down is reverse.....went for license using the standard floor shift....went for heavy t and extra and for the sake of having it and well heavy T is needed for the panel van...light years away from saying what my kid should learn to drive, but I'd prefer if they learn to operate the gears.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”