TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Chernobyl (2019) HBO Series

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Chernobyl (2019) HBO Series

Postby Monk BANzai » June 4th, 2019, 8:08 pm

I know there's a trailer for this in the "Chrailer Ched" but im doing this by itself becuz the mini series was that facking good!

Check it out....5 episodes. Proper stuff.

wingnut
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Chernobyl (2019) HBO Series

Postby wingnut » June 4th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Aye i taut i alone was hooked after the first ep. I now watchin ep 4.....i cyah believe is only 5 ep.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 4th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Good show! The realism of the HBO series is very close to the actual incident.

The reality of the radiation today, what a real post-apocalyptic world looks like:

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » June 4th, 2019, 8:31 pm

wingnut wrote:Aye i taut i alone was hooked after the first ep. I now watchin ep 4.....i cyah believe is only 5 ep.

Simple, dive into the history books after.
A few years ago I bought Voices From Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster, a collection of translated interviews from survivors and the displaced residents of Pripyat.

Imagine, the farmers knew the land was dead because there were no worms or beetles to be found in affected soil. One hell of a read.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 4th, 2019, 9:49 pm

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » June 4th, 2019, 9:53 pm

The casting was on point too!!!

https://www.boredpanda.com/chernobyl-di ... gn=organic

the veritasium video compared to the series with the firemen clothes in the basement was creepy :shock:

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » June 4th, 2019, 10:14 pm

A truly excellent series.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » June 4th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Les Bain wrote:
wingnut wrote:Aye i taut i alone was hooked after the first ep. I now watchin ep 4.....i cyah believe is only 5 ep.

A few years ago I bought Voices From Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster, a collection of translated interviews from survivors and the displaced residents of Pripyat.

Imagine, the farmers knew the land was dead because there were no worms or beetles to be found in affected soil. One hell of a read.

bhai. level pausing and google/Wiki'ing. episodes two and three with the Fireman's wife tho.....

SnipeR
Trinituner Peong

Postby SnipeR » June 4th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Just finished watching the last episode. Excellent mini-series. Very informative as well.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » June 5th, 2019, 8:06 am

Monk BANzai wrote:
Les Bain wrote:

bhai. level pausing and google/Wiki'ing. episodes two and three with the Fireman's wife tho.....

I waiting on the wife to continue to episode 2, but as you mention the fireman's wife, that sounds like the interview that started off Voices From Chernobyl. Endless tears reading that woman's experience.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Monk BANzai » June 6th, 2019, 3:48 am

Les Bain wrote:
Monk BANzai wrote:
Les Bain wrote:

I waiting on the wife to continue to episode 2, but as you mention the fireman's wife, that sounds like the interview that started off Voices From Chernobyl. Endless tears reading that woman's experience.

Yup....i mean even the series would hide some truths that would never see the light of day... but yeah...

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » June 6th, 2019, 7:33 am

Monk BANzai wrote:
Les Bain wrote:
Monk BANzai wrote:
Les Bain wrote:

Yup....i mean even the series would hide some truths that would never see the light of day... but yeah...

Well boy...we finish watch the whole thing yesterday. The fireman's wife was indeed adapted from Voices From Chernobyl. I agree with Gorbachev's thought in the ending montage that this incident played a part in dissolving the U.S.S.R. Very well done miniseries.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » June 6th, 2019, 9:09 am

Bitter Sweet feelings about it here yes.

Glad it was fairly short, to the point and factual.
Sad its over

Will do a binge rewatch soon tho

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 6th, 2019, 9:12 am

Had HBO up to yesterday but only saw bits of different episodes.
Reading the comments in here seems I missed a trick in not following this series.

D.S.S
Sweet on this forum

Postby D.S.S » June 7th, 2019, 10:19 am

Did they show the lead up to the disaster? i now on ep 1 an it start after the lead up

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » June 7th, 2019, 10:22 am

I am guessing they will go into the lead up as they progress but I am about mid way into episode 1 myself based on the recommendation of the folks here.

I need something to watch casually till the Expanse starts back up.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 7th, 2019, 10:42 am

Flow is offering HBO this weekend for the debut of the new season of Big Little Lies.

There is also a marathon (lol) of Chernobyl. Will take it in.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 7th, 2019, 11:10 am

D.S.S wrote:Did they show the lead up to the disaster? i now on ep 1 an it start after the lead up

Episode 5 details what was known at the time of the 1987 trial. Wikipedia article has further reports generated over 20 years of future investigations, but what is shown in Episode 5 is mostly correct. The design of the reactor was very flawed, in addition to the human operator error that pushed the reactor to the limits which caused the explosion and meltdown that will pollute and scar the earth for 50,000 years to come. At least it will give future paleontologists 50 million years in the future a reference date when they find a layer of radioactive decay particles in a layer of rock all over the world, much like how we see the K-T boundary today from 66 million years ago.

The last episode has an underlying theme of the entire lie that the Soviet Union was for 70 years, at the cost of millions and millions of lives to save the lie. And if you read further, you would see how communism is so evil. Every single communist regime in history has commited mass genocide and crimes against humanity... murdering and suffering their own people for even having thoughts, just to make sure the lie is preserved. You thought the Nazis were bad? Compare the Holocaust with the Holodomor. This Chernobyl incident started the reforms that lead to the end of the Soviet Union.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » June 7th, 2019, 11:19 am

D.S.S wrote:Did they show the lead up to the disaster? i now on ep 1 an it start after the lead up

The explosion happens early in episode 1.

The timing isn't strictly linear as the last episode (best one imo) goes over the events of the fateful day.

However the show mostly deals with the fallout immediately afterwards and how the USSR reacted.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » June 7th, 2019, 11:37 am

maj. tom wrote:
The last episode has an underlying theme of the entire lie that the Soviet Union was for 70 years, at the cost of millions and millions of lives to save the lie. And if you read further, you would see how communism is so evil. Every single communist regime in history has commited mass genocide and crimes against humanity... murdering and suffering their own people for even having thoughts, just to make sure the lie is preserved. You thought the Nazis were bad? Compare the Holocaust with the Holodomor. This Chernobyl incident started the reforms that lead to the end of the Soviet Union.

You have to remember the US and Russia were engaged in a decades long cold war. You were not allowed to present weakness on any front or it would be seen as a win for the other side.

Lies, censorship, propoganda and prison camps were the main tools of Russia to maintain the status quo among their population.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Monk BANzai » June 7th, 2019, 3:23 pm

https://people.com/tv/chernobyl-highest ... time-imdb/

Chernobyl Is Now the Highest-Rated TV Series of All Time on IMDB
The five-episode HBO miniseries also received a 95 percent on Rotten Tomatoes

Step aside Breaking Bad, another show has claimed the top spot on IMDb.

Just days after its series finale, HBO’s Chernobyl became the top-ranked TV show on IMDb’s all-time TV rankings. According to Variety, as of Tuesday, the show achieved a 9.7-star average rating out of 10, from the nearly 140,000 users on IMDb.

The gripping five-episode miniseries concluded on Monday after retelling the catastrophic nuclear disaster at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine, on April 26, 1986. The explosion — which occurred during system testing — killed an estimated 4,000 to 90,000 victims, according to reports obtained by TIME, and left horror in its wake, with some areas of Eastern Europe heavily affected by radiation to this day.

The series follows nuclear physicist Valery Legasov, played by Jared Harris (Mad Men, The Crown), as he works with the Soviet Union government — who controlled Ukraine at the time and wanted to hide the truth about the disaster — to manage the nuclear crisis and save the country from extreme repercussions.

The show’s first episode begins in the early hours of April 26, when the explosion erupts but goes almost unnoticed by those not near the actual plant. In the following episodes, it depicts the weeks after the disaster and what the affected citizens had to endure to survive.

Chernobyl beat out AMC’s critically acclaimed Breaking Bad, which scored 9.5/10 stars, as well as HBO’s other shows, Band of Brothers (9.5), Game of Thrones (9.3) and The Wire (9.3), in addition to BBC’s Planet Earth II (9.5) and the original Planet Earth (9.4).

However, the show did not claim a higher Rotten Tomatoes score. It received a 95 percent from the Fandango site, while Breaking Bad sits with a 96 percent.

Variety TV critic Caroline Framke attributes the show’s success to writer Craig Mazin and director Johan Renck’s (who also directed Breaking Bad) steady story arc.

“Rather than bursting into shocking twists, writer Craig Mazin and director Johan Renck build a steadily creeping unease,” she wrote in her review. “Allowing the scale of the atrocity to sink in with terrible, fitting gravity.”

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » June 7th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Putin: Nah, we eh takin' dat...

Russia to make its own show about Chernobyl that implicates the US

Russian state TV is working on its own version of Chernobyl, a series based on the worst nuclear accident in history.

The NTV drama will deviate from the acclaimed HBO series - and from historical reality - by claiming that the CIA was involved in the disaster.

Director Aleksey Muradov claims it will show "what really happened back then".

HBO's miniseries, which concluded on Monday, received the highest ever score for a TV show on IMdB, as well as a 9.1 rating on Russian equivalent Kinopoisk.

But in an interview with Komsomolskaya Pravda, Russia's most widely-read tabloid, Mr Muradov said his version of the show "proposes an alternative view on the tragedy in Pripyat".

"There is a theory that Americans infiltrated the Chernobyl nuclear power plant," he told the paper. "Many historians do not rule out the possibility that on the day of the explosion, an agent of the enemy's intelligence services was working at the station."

The Hollywood Reporter reports that the Russian culture ministry has contributed 30 million rubles ($463,000; £363,000) to the show.

The No. 4 reactor at the Chernobyl nuclear plant exploded on 26 April 1986 in the Ukrainian city of Pripyat.

At least 31 people were killed in the immediate aftermath, and the effects continue to be felt to this day.
What did Russia think of HBO's Chernobyl?

There has been plenty of praise in Russia for the authenticity of Chernobyl.

Izvestia newspaper declared it a more 'realistic' portrayal of the era than most Russian films manage. There's also admiration of how the series conveys the heroism of ordinary people.

But there's been a crescendo of criticism, too. One columnist declared the show a plot to undermine Russia's current atomic agency. Others called it American 'propaganda', blackening the image of the USSR and exaggerating the callousness of the Soviet response.

No-one disputes that it's got people talking. They're been busy sharing their own Chernobyl stories on social media, with younger Russians often hearing them for the first time. So one Twitter user thanked the series for 'giving us back our history.'

In the end, as one commentator concludes, the main reason for the backlash is likely a feeling of shame that it was the US that told the tale of Chernobyl, not Russia itself.

The show has been particularly unpopular with Russian state TV and the country's tabloid newspapers.

Speaking to TV website Teleprogramma, columnist Anatoly Wasserman said: "If Anglo-Saxons film something about Russians, it definitely will not correspond to the truth."

This, he continued, was because "they don't like us" and "they cannot understand us".

Komsomolskaya Pravda published several negative articles about the show - including one floating a conspiracy theory that it was produced by competitors of Rosatom, Russia's state nuclear company, to ruin the country's reputation as a nuclear power.

But reviewers in independent media outlets praised its writer Craig Mazin for his minute attention to detail.

Slava Malamud, a US-based journalist who grew up during the Soviet era in what is now Moldova, wrote on the independent Russian news site Meduza that "the respect and meticulousness the show's creators brought to their work is breathtaking".

"Like I see the license plate for a car in one scene has the real numbers for the [Kiev] region," he said. "Who's going to notice that in America or England?"

For the Kremlin, the topic of history is a highly sensitive one - especially about the Soviet Union.

Official media now tend to paint a sanitised, idealised vision of the USSR, and portray Putin's Russia as its spiritual heir.

This makes it easy to see any critical view of the Soviet past as an attack on the Kremlin's ideological power base.

It's a narrative it seeks to completely control and guard from outside influences - particularly from a West it sees as hostile.

Some Russians feel the version of reality offered by Kremlin-controlled media is not entirely unlike the lies told by the Soviet state.

As a result, perhaps the most dangerous idea was the key question running though Chernobyl - what is the cost of lies?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48559289

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 7th, 2019, 6:47 pm

There is zero evidence to back the Russian Media's claims on American spying sabotage in the Chernobyl reactor. It was 100% the product of the Soviet Union culture of corruption and lies and no regard for human safety or even proper training. And what would the Americans gain from such a nuclear disaster anyway? The truth would have come out and they would be branded as the people who poisoned the Earth with radiation and death for 1000 generations. All to show up the USSR as a failed state and communism as a wrong ideology? They did that on their own.

Same thing with the Space program. The only reason Yuri Gagarin was 1st in space was because the USSR didn't give a sheit about safety of their cosmonauts. The Americans were ready to send their man Alan Shepard 3 weeks later, but with NASA ensuring full safety compliance and covered every possible emergency and rescue situation. The world would later witness just how terrible the USSR actually were in the space race when it came the Moon and developing a rocket to leave Earth orbit at 11 km/s. They developed the N1 rocket which was underfunded and very rushed and failed 4 times without ever leaving Earth! The Americans made the Saturn rocket which is still one of the greatest engineering marvels of humanity.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » June 7th, 2019, 11:39 pm

maj. tom wrote:The only reason Yuri Gagarin was 1st in space was because the USSR didn't give a sheit about safety of their cosmonauts

Agreed!!!

Yuri Gagarin's when he returned from space...

mars
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mars » June 8th, 2019, 1:02 am

Series was the scariest ting I've seen for a while.

And if you want to scare yourself further, there's this...

https://www.endtime.com/articles-endtime-magazine/chernobyl-third-trumpet-revelation/

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Monk BANzai » June 8th, 2019, 8:37 am

maj. tom wrote:There is zero evidence to back the Russian Media's claims on American spying sabotage in the Chernobyl reactor. It was 100% the product of the Soviet Union culture of corruption and lies and no regard for human safety or even proper training. And what would the Americans gain from such a nuclear disaster anyway? The truth would have come out and they would be branded as the people who poisoned the Earth with radiation and death for 1000 generations. All to show up the USSR as a failed state and communism as a wrong ideology? They did that on their own.

Same thing with the Space program. The only reason Yuri Gagarin was 1st in space was because the USSR didn't give a sheit about safety of their cosmonauts. The Americans were ready to send their man Alan Shepard 3 weeks later, but with NASA ensuring full safety compliance and covered every possible emergency and rescue situation. The world would later witness just how terrible the USSR actually were in the space race when it came the Moon and developing a rocket to leave Earth orbit at 11 km/s. They developed the N1 rocket which was underfunded and very rushed and failed 4 times without ever leaving Earth! The Americans made the Saturn rocket which is still one of the greatest engineering marvels of humanity.

I agree with everything you said with one correction. The Saturn rocket was really made by German Nazis. They just happened to be in america.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » June 8th, 2019, 11:42 am

https://www.rt.com/news/461152-chernoby ... eacts-hbo/

‘Terrifying sight’: General portrayed in HBO’s ‘Chernobyl’ shares what disaster was really like

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”