Forums

Top 3 S.E.A. Performers in South Schools

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Top 3 S.E.A. Performers in South Schools

Postby rspann » June 29th, 2019, 8:16 am

zoom rader wrote:When PNM kids don't perform. The PNM goverment offers them secret scholships, lowers entry requirements for courses. I remember one PNM bigwig saying Indian teachers don't teach African kids and Indian schools don't accept African kids.

Would you send kwame to a Sat school?

Does Sat want Kwame in his schools? If the answer is no, why doesn't he?

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 29th, 2019, 8:27 am

rspann wrote:
zoom rader wrote:When PNM kids don't perform. The PNM goverment offers them secret scholships, lowers entry requirements for courses. I remember one PNM bigwig saying Indian teachers don't teach African kids and Indian schools don't accept African kids.

I know of schools in central that dont want the kwame and diokeek..A coworker tried to register her daughter and another parent simply told her to not waste her time...The parent only pointed to her hair and my coworker got the point...So said so done, teachers didnt even pay attention to her..

As per your question(rspann) If I put my answer here people go tell me I racist...so id check you by the garage and tell you the reasons...lolll

doggal
Riding on 13's

Postby doggal » June 29th, 2019, 8:51 am

Does anyone have the link for the list of students and their passes?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 29th, 2019, 9:15 am

rspann wrote:

As far as I know he accepts them. Problem is most afro parents see his schools idol worship.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » June 29th, 2019, 9:29 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
rspann wrote:

I know of schools in central that dont want the kwame and diokeek..A coworker tried to register her daughter and another parent simply told her to not waste her time...The parent only pointed to her hair and my coworker got the point...So said so done, teachers didnt even pay attention to her..

As per your question(rspann) If I put my answer here people go tell me I racist...so id check you by the garage and tell you the reasons...lolll
This is not true. There are quite a number of Africans attending Hindu schools. They even assimilate with the Hindu culture bhagans and all.

Shiva boys Hindu college for example has a healthy afro population.

Also one must remember the small church influence in the African population that denigrates Hindus and their religion and would not even want their kids to walk in front of an sdms school.

Slavery is not an excuse for the lack of performance. If anything it should be a motivator. Some of the brightest and most brilliant people I know are of African decent.

The problem is Trini culture. The party and carnival culture. Where Monday could fall on Sunday and you don't care. Where the most important thing is what soca song Machel sing etc. These nonsense are bring pushed down the throats of children today to force a Trini culture resulting in massive mental destruction .

Intelligence does not come with race. Everyone has the same aptitude to learn. The environment and support structure is what determines the performance of the individual.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 29th, 2019, 9:32 am

rspann wrote:I don't want no racist answer eh. Is there any reason why mostly Indians always top SEA?

Because the whites and chinese focused on family business and afros on sports.No mystery there

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » June 29th, 2019, 9:49 am

The entire problem with SEA is parental pressure. SEA results is a pissing content between parents to see who can outdo who, just another keeping up, and even surpassing the Jones situation.

You all see that some parents request the ministry redact their kids' names from the results in the papers and it was honored? What does that say. It says that the parents are pre-emptively embarrassed of their childrens' potential failures. Not actual failures, but just in case. What do you think that will do to those children, it will be one of those things that would begin to break their spirit from a young age. How is the government responsible for that?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 29th, 2019, 10:59 am

rspann wrote:I don't want no racist answer eh. Is there any reason why mostly Indians always top SEA?

it eh have no answers that somebody not gonna find a race slant to it .... :| :| :|

if anybody achieve anything in life by working hard for it somebody gonna jump up & say so wam allyuh feel we ppl doh wuk hard too

every yr when any kind of exam results comes out go on fb & read some of d comments .... u cuda swear u eh know T&T had so many racial ppl from all sides ........ :|

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 29th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Gladiator wrote:
rspann wrote:

This is not true. There are quite a number of Africans attending Hindu schools. They even assimilate with the Hindu culture bhagans and all.

Shiva boys Hindu college for example has a healthy afro population.

Also one must remember the small church influence in the African population that denigrates Hindus and their religion and would not even want their kids to walk in front of an sdms school.

Slavery is not an excuse for the lack of performance. If anything it should be a motivator. Some of the brightest and most brilliant people I know are of African decent.

The problem is Trini culture. The party and carnival culture. Where Monday could fall on Sunday and you don't care. Where the most important thing is what soca song Machel sing etc. These nonsense are bring pushed down the throats of children today to force a Trini culture resulting in massive mental destruction .

Intelligence does not come with race. Everyone has the same aptitude to learn. The environment and support structure is what determines the performance of the individual.

Where did I say Africans are not allowed in hindu schools? I simply said that there are schools who turn a blind eye to the afro children

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 29th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Gladiator wrote:Slavery is not an excuse for the lack of performance. If anything it should be a motivator. Some of the brightest and most brilliant people I know are of African decent.

This is what I am trying to explain. That some people like to have a different narrative because they are racist and have racist ideas without ever exploring why the graph used to be skewed when it came to education performance and race. But I then also said that it's 2019 and we have changed that culture over the last generation and now it's one Trinidadian culture rather than Indian culture vs. African culture. And we all have the same goals, so the relationship between race and education performance is going to be blurred further every year. Which we are observing at higher levels of education.

But some people love to repeat the wrong things that they learned as a child over and over and over to justify racism and push the hatred one more generation down. You not seeing it in almost every single thread concerning race? And even the ones not concerning race it always have some who will jump up and point fingers at race because that is all they were taught and can't go further with their brains. These kind of people are the weak and cowardly and have the most degraded type of minds that they could never realize that they are wrong and fight against wrong.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » June 29th, 2019, 3:28 pm

doggal wrote:Does anyone have the link for the list of students and their passes?

kstt
Riding on 16's

Postby kstt » June 29th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Is there a breakdown of the top 100 performing schools?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Top 3 S.E.A. Performers in South Schools

Postby MaxPower » June 29th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Has anyone noticed an increase in domestic violence?

Went to check on my nephew who did quite well and he mentioned a few of his classmates got a cut ass for not performing. I guess this is normal this time around and some parents should be ashamed of themselves.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 29th, 2019, 7:30 pm

MaxPower wrote:Has anyone noticed an increase in domestic violence?

Went to check on my nephew who did quite well and he mentioned a few of his classmates got a cut ass for not performing. I guess this is normal this time around and some parents should be ashamed of themselves.

I expect this from them injun

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » June 29th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Blaze d Chalice wrote:
doggal wrote:Does anyone have the link for the list of students and their passes?

You DO know that every year it’s published in the news papers the day AFTER the results are given to the students, so if you go Today’s (Saturday) papers you would have that mysterious list.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » June 29th, 2019, 10:49 pm

people use this as an excuse to stereotype. But just looking at the top 0.005% of students tells you nothing about the performance of the indian population or african population generally.

the results are consistent enough that you might be looking at the work of one very small cohort of parents and teachers over the years.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » June 29th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Rather disturbing that some of you think that parents push their kids to do better to “ keep up with the Jones “, sad actually, but I’m sure most of you who think this way don’t have children.
remember not everyone can afford to pay for a private school, so they have to make the best of our local education system.

doggal
Riding on 13's

Postby doggal » June 29th, 2019, 11:51 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:
Blaze d Chalice wrote:

You DO know that every year it’s published in the news papers the day AFTER the results are given to the students, so if you go Today’s (Saturday) papers you would have that mysterious list.

If I WERE in T&T I would have done so...no need to be hasty in your replies especially when you cannot provide what I asked for :roll:. .
Rgds

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » June 30th, 2019, 12:42 am

Ben_spanna wrote:Rather disturbing that some of you think that parents push their kids to do better to “ keep up with the Jones “, sad actually, but I’m sure most of you who think this way don’t have children.
remember not everyone can afford to pay for a private school, so they have to make the best of our local education system.

I say so because I myself am the direct product of such a system, placing high in the top 100 in the first year that the top 95% was also introduced.

You might think you know this system, but I've lived in it. I know it. It is a giant pissing contest between parents and parents alone. Even when these students, like this one who will go to NGHS from GMPS, all eyes will be on her to get all her commendations from form 1 straight to 6 and get an open scholarship. If she gets anything else it will be viewed as failure, and that even applies to an additional scholarship since the bar was set so highly by herself.

If any naps girls reading this message they will all agree. If anyone has a close friend or relative going to a 'prestige school,' they know that the demand to perform is placed as hard as life and death for a large group of the students.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » June 30th, 2019, 1:06 am

Time to put down that slavery/racism crutch. Almost everyone has the same capacity for learning and development. Time to put down that single parent crutch as well, as children from those households, like I was, can have the motivation to educate and better themselves and their children.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 30th, 2019, 6:21 am

doggal wrote:If I WERE in T&T I would have done so...no need to be hasty in your replies especially when you cannot provide what I asked for :roll:. .
Rgds

TT Newspapers are available online, the print version. Download the free TT Guardian app on your tablet, it's the exact print copy that you buy here. And if you really want, the 3 daily newspapers here offer online subscriptions for the print version. Most newspapers in the world do, so I dunno where you coming from with that attitude.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 30th, 2019, 10:16 am

All good and well but I think that we can agree that none of these children are "gifted" or even demonstrate high functioning intelligence.

Can any of them build a computer from scratch or even a circuit board? Can they conversate in a foreign language or maybe even 2.

I think we keep misunderstanding what intelligence really is. If these kids were to be exposed to their peers from the developed world they would be enturely embarrassed. Always remember that the smartest ppl in the US and UK etc are too intelligent for university. They are identified early on and pulled from formal education.

So after all this stress to perform at SEA, CXC and CAPE and possibly university where do these people end up? Where do they work? Trinidad doesn't have a space program or even a silicon valley that gires the "best and brightest".

I know ppl who had open scholarships who couldn't even get proper employment. So what's the point?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 30th, 2019, 10:24 am

Redress10 wrote:All good and well but I think that we can agree that none of these children are "gifted" or even demonstrate high functioning intelligence.

Can any of them build a computer from scratch or even a circuit board? Can they conversate in a foreign language or maybe even 2.

I think we keep misunderstanding what intelligence really is. If these kids were to be exposed to their peers from the developed world they would be enturely embarrassed. Always remember that the smartest ppl in the US and UK etc are too intelligent for university. They are identified early on and pulled from formal education.

So after all this stress to perform at SEA, CXC and CAPE and possibly university where do these people end up? Where do they work? Trinidad doesn't have a space program or even a silicon valley that gires the "best and brightest".

I know ppl who had open scholarships who couldn't even get proper employment. So what's the point?

Totally agree....where do they end up?? All that studying and Trinidad is a sheithole when it comes to jobs for certain skills...

My brother has a 3.9 GPA finishing a masters program in cyber security at FIU and people here watch his resume like is madarin they reading..His next best step is to do a PHD and stay up there

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 30th, 2019, 11:23 am

For selfish reasons they keep promoting this whole "prestigious" school myth. There is nothing special or prestigious about those schools. It's the same teachers from the government schools and the facilities in the prestigious schools may be marginally better. Gov't spends more on gov't schools I believe.

The only thing separating those schools may be the level of indiscipline and anyone who went a "prestigious" school in town would confirm indiscipline in those schools as well.

The ruling class needs to keep our education system the way it is for future cheap labour to pack fries and chicken in a box.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » June 30th, 2019, 11:28 am

Redress10 wrote:All good and well but I think that we can agree that none of these children are "gifted" or even demonstrate high functioning intelligence.

Those kids are only 11 yrs old bro... plenty time to develop skills yada yada... stop hating so much and go live your life.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » June 30th, 2019, 11:37 am

Prestige schools are a self fulfilling entity.

What makes the exam success of their students is the school culture and common pressures. When it gets close to CAPE time, and some of the students have their own cars at that point, they themselves choose to drive to school on saturdays and sundays to get into groups and do past papers.

Study, go outside and sweat, come back in and do more past papers. You could take identical twins and send one to a government school and one to naps. The exam results will speak for themselves.

Exam results, not necessarily natural business acumen and entrepreneurial drive.

l33t2
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby l33t2 » June 30th, 2019, 11:44 am

Totally agree....where do they end up?? All that studying and Trinidad is a sheithole when it comes to jobs for certain skills...

My brother has a 3.9 GPA finishing a masters program in cyber security at FIU and people here watch his resume like is madarin they reading..His next best step is to do a PHD and stay up there

Rel confused about the points two of you trying to make.

Top SEA students are gifted - it's not just rote learning, they need to disciplined, mature under pressure and I know many who have moved on to great things in life. I don't see why you need to bash them, SEA isn't perfect, no standardized exam especially when given at such a young age, is perfect.

There are many other gifted students who would not have had success in SEA. It's just the way it is, doesn't mean the top ones aren't.

The issue with T&T, which I alluded too in the other Vene thread concerning work ethic, is that we don't have the environment to push ppl to greater things.

We don't have top researchers pushing the envelope in their fields. We have a few people who are good and it goes to their heads. Instead of building up potential great students they put them down and denegrate them (not all but happened to me).

We have lots of potentially extremely smart and ambitious ppl in Trinidad who end up getting ruined in UWI or in the work place. In the US or UK they'd blossom.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 30th, 2019, 11:48 am

Prestige schools? So why all exam students at all levels before university go to lessons for then? It's all a bold faced cultural lie that we all enjoy and do nothing about it. Not to even start with cheating the taxman from that income. I not talking about a few university students tutoring for a few dollars eh. I talking big establishments at private homes in Valsayn, Couva, etc. with hundreds of students. With students from the same damn school!

But can you really blame parents who just want the best for their children? Yes you can blame them. Soley and squarely blame them for this nasty culture.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 30th, 2019, 12:03 pm

l33t2 wrote:

Rel confused about the points two of you trying to make.

Top SEA students are gifted - it's not just rote learning, they need to disciplined, mature under pressure and I know many who have moved on to great things in life. I don't see why you need to bash them, SEA isn't perfect, no standardized exam especially when given at such a young age, is perfect.

There are many other gifted students who would not have had success in SEA. It's just the way it is, doesn't mean the top ones aren't.

The issue with T&T, which I alluded too in the other Vene thread concerning work ethic, is that we don't have the environment to push ppl to greater things.

We don't have top researchers pushing the envelope in their fields. We have a few people who are good and it goes to their heads. Instead of building up potential great students they put them down and denegrate them (not all but happened to me).

We have lots of potentially extremely smart and ambitious ppl in Trinidad who end up getting ruined in UWI or in the work place. In the US or UK they'd blossom.

You answered your own question wrt to what I was trying to say...we have lots of smart people and only a handful get the opportunity to really make it...and the ones that make it, do so abroad...My brother went to uwi to seek advice regarding pursuing a phd and they told him they dont have the expertise in his field here...so where he end up...back in florida

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » June 30th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Venezuelan girl in tears after SEA

A Venezue­lan girl who was al­lowed to write this year’s Sec­ondary En­trance As­sess­ment (SEA) ex­am even though her stu­dent per­mit had ex­pired, will not be mov­ing on to sec­ondary school just yet.

And while her par­ents are up­set by the de­ci­sion of the Min­istry of Ed­u­ca­tion not to as­sign the 13-year-old, they are ap­peal­ing for help to reg­u­larise their sta­tus so she can con­tin­ue her ed­u­ca­tion.

Re­quest­ing their names not be pub­lished, the fam­i­ly who cur­rent­ly live in Ch­agua­nas ar­rived in the coun­try in 2012 via le­gal chan­nels. How­ev­er, their pass­ports have since ex­pired along with the stu­dent’s per­mit that was grant­ed to the young la­dy for one year.

The fam­i­ly was among the 16,000 plus mi­grants that reg­is­tered dur­ing the Venezue­lan Mi­grant Reg­is­tra­tion Ex­er­cise that took place dur­ing May 31 to June 14.

Hav­ing en­rolled at a de­nom­i­na­tion­al school in Port-of-Spain in 2012, the girl con­tin­ued at­tend­ing school even though her stu­dent’s per­mit ex­pired in 2013.

In­di­cat­ing her daugh­ter had been per­form­ing well, the emo­tion­al moth­er said they at­tend­ed the grad­u­a­tion cer­e­mo­ny last Thurs­day and did not sus­pect the girl would have been left in tears on Fri­day.

The girl who speaks Eng­lish quite well said, "At school, we did the SEA book­lets and though they were hard, I got through. I even went to lessons every Sat­ur­day.”

De­scribed as one of the top per­form­ers in her class—the stu­dent in­di­cat­ed her first choice school had been St Joseph’s Con­vent, Port-of-Spain.

In­di­cat­ing she had ex­pe­ri­enced a sense of con­fu­sion and dis­ap­point­ment af­ter learn­ing she had not been placed, the young woman plead­ed, "I would love to go to my first choice and study there and then go on to uni­ver­si­ty."

Hop­ing to get re­sults be­fore the new aca­d­e­m­ic year be­gins in Sep­tem­ber, the moth­er said they were un­cer­tain as to their next move.

Ed­u­ca­tion Min­is­ter An­tho­ny Gar­cia con­firmed that nine non-na­tion­als had been al­lowed to write the SEA ex­am even though their stu­dent per­mits were not in or­der.

He said, "They were giv­en un­til May 31 to have their stu­dent’s per­mits reg­u­larised. Al­though they were al­lowed to write the ex­am, the im­mi­gra­tion au­thor­i­ties and the laws of the coun­try de­mand that stu­dents must have a stu­dent’s per­mit. At this point, that has not been done as yet in spite of re­peat­ed calls for it. As such, they can­not be placed in any school un­less they have the stu­dent’s per­mit."

Gar­cia said, "It was on the ex­pec­ta­tion that they would have reg­u­larised their po­si­tion, that they were al­lowed to write the ex­am and have an op­por­tu­ni­ty to move on to sec­ondary school."

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/venezuel ... 5f53a4c30a

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”