Forums

Top 3 S.E.A. Performers in South Schools

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rockram
3NE 2NR for life

Top 3 S.E.A. Performers in South Schools

Postby Rockram » June 28th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Top SEA pupils Siri Vadlamudi, Megan Ramoutar and Manasseh Mohammed.

Pupils attending denominational primary schools in San Fernando have taken the top three places at the 2019 Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA).

The Caanan Presbyterian Primary School at Duncan Village, San Fernando has produced the pupil scoring the third highest mark at the Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA).

The announcement was made by Education Minister Anthony Garcia who visited the school at around 11.30a.m to disclosed the name.

It’s a boy, 12-year-old Manasseh Mohammed who with be attending Naparima College.

Earlier, Garcia went to the Grant Memorial Presbyterian Primary School to announce that 11-year-old Siri Vadlamudi had scored the highway mark of the 18,849 pupils who wrote the 2019 examination.

She will be attending the St Joseph Convent, San Fernando.

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: Top 3 S.E.A. Performers in South Schools

Postby pugboy » June 28th, 2019, 3:07 pm

In before zoom comments

antlind
Riding on 17's

Postby antlind » June 28th, 2019, 3:09 pm

pugboy wrote:In before zoom comments

Heh heh heh.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 28th, 2019, 3:41 pm

pugboy wrote:In before zoom comments
Nah I read it long time but decided not to comment on it. Every year it's the same crap, always meeting the top scorers and kicking aside the low scorers.

I myself fail the then common entrance (health) when I sat it. What i learned is that some of kids who passed for the top schools in my era are present day bums.

They went to best schools and some uwi. In this day and age they are no better than me. Some are still working and living from pay check to pay check. Most are broke as hell and made a mess of their lives.

Rather than the Minster meet with the top scorers, he should also meet the kids that have difficulties learning.

SEA is all about who remembers and has nothing to do with learning or thinking on your own.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 28th, 2019, 4:09 pm

zoom rader wrote:I myself fail the then common entrance (health) when I sat it. What i learned is that some of kids who passed for the top schools in my era are present day bums.

They went to best schools and some uwi. In this day and age they are no better than me. Some are still working and living from pay check to pay check. Most are broke as hell and made a mess of their lives.

Rather than the Minster meet with the top scorers, he should also meet the kids that have difficulties learning.

SEA is all about who remembers and has nothing to do with learning or thinking on your own.

This is simply not true.

Children who score well on any standardized test have digested and internalized huge amounts of information. Kudos to them.

I don't believe in denigrating the less fortunate or the less capable. But I don't see any reason to reward it in lieu of rewarding achievement.

If you did poorly on your exams, telegraphing another person's misfortune is typically described as a thinly veiled attempt to feel better about yourself at another's expense. I expect a more empathic response from any adult.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 28th, 2019, 6:42 pm

adnj wrote:
zoom rader wrote:I myself fail the then common entrance (health) when I sat it. What i learned is that some of kids who passed for the top schools in my era are present day bums.

This is simply not true.

Children who score well on any standardized test have digested and internalized huge amounts of information. Kudos to them.

I don't believe in denigrating the less fortunate or the less capable. But I don't see any reason to reward it in lieu of rewarding achievement.

If you did poorly on your exams, telegraphing another person's misfortune is typically described as a thinly veiled attempt to feel better about yourself at another's expense. I expect a more empathic response from any adult.
And this is why we have uwi grads who don't know their ass from the elbow.
They bright as a spark but cannot function on their on own or make a simple decision.

We have all seen them and I am sure other tuners can attest to this.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 28th, 2019, 7:08 pm

All credit to the youths....BUT why d mc faris and randall mitchell up in the chirren pics?? What school them pass for? How they did assist those children in doing well??? Steupse

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » June 28th, 2019, 8:19 pm

it is not good to focus on the results of 3 students out of 18,000 test takers.

the newspaper tomorrow should focus on the worst performing schools. Historically, every year we have thousands of students who could not pass the exam.

focus on the thousands, not the three.
Last edited by paid_influencer on June 28th, 2019, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 28th, 2019, 8:20 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:All credit to the youths....BUT why d mc faris and randall mitchell up in the chirren pics?? What school them pass for? How they did assist those children in doing well??? Steupse
My point is they only celebrate the top students. What about those that have difficulties. These kids are just dumped and left on the road side.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » June 28th, 2019, 8:21 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:All credit to the youths....BUT why d mc faris and randall mitchell up in the chirren pics?? What school them pass for? How they did assist those children in doing well??? Steupse
Ent. Big Steupsss

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » June 28th, 2019, 8:34 pm

is true.

in a well run organization, today the minister would be presenting the scores with median values represented, emphasis on lower quartile scores and comparisons to previous years.

but why do that when you can instead have a guaranteed celebration complete with photo ops?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 28th, 2019, 8:38 pm

IMG-20190628-WA0012.jpeg

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » June 28th, 2019, 8:49 pm

zoom rader wrote:
My point is they only celebrate the top students. What about those that have difficulties. These kids are just dumped and left on the road side.

Same goes for all sporting events. Everyone only celebrates the World Cup winners or champions league winners pal. Everyone knows about France and Liverpool and forget about Young Guns and Panama.

The world does not celebrate sub par performance....get with the times saddis.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 28th, 2019, 9:56 pm

randolphinshan wrote:
zoom rader wrote:

Same goes for all sporting events. Everyone only celebrates the World Cup winners or champions league winners pal. Everyone knows about France and Liverpool and forget about Young Guns and Panama.

The world does not celebrate sub par performance....get with the times saddis.
But the sub performers are those that come from PNM families
Last edited by zoom rader on June 28th, 2019, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 28th, 2019, 10:01 pm

I don't want no racist answer eh. Is there any reason why mostly Indians always top SEA?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 28th, 2019, 10:40 pm

But that is a racist question!!!!!!

BTW - Did you notice that BOTH parents of the top performers were there with their children?

Did you also notice the emphasis that the students placed on prayer?

I suppose that is not important.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » June 28th, 2019, 10:44 pm

Congrats to all those children who saw the results of years or hard work.......
your journey into the world of education for your future has now started.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 28th, 2019, 11:03 pm

So is only Indian children have two parents, and pray? Don't deflect and try to make my question into what it's not. How is asking for an explanation of a regularly occuring event racist?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 28th, 2019, 11:04 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:Congrats to all those children who saw the results of years or hard work.......
your journey into the world of education for your future has now started.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » June 28th, 2019, 11:04 pm

bluefete wrote:But that is a racist question!!!!!!

BTW - Did you notice that BOTH parents of the top performers were there with their children?

Did you also notice the emphasis that the students placed on prayer?

I suppose that is not important.

With all due respect, that is a pile. Prayer has nothing to do with academic success, nor is having both parents together. Not taking anything from these children who did well in an exam, but I agree with zoom, unless we develop them into critical thinkers and leaders, they and we as a nation will not progress. Think of any SEA top three or schol. winner that is making a real difference HERE today.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » June 28th, 2019, 11:12 pm

rspann wrote:I don't want no racist answer eh. Is there any reason why mostly Indians always top SEA?

Emphasis on traditional education. Among indo-trinis this is stressed in just about every socio-economic class from destitute straight up to generationally wealthy.

Among the other races it is generally not as stressed, such as in the syrian community where entrepreneurship and business mindedness is stressed over book sense; they send their children to foreign universities either way, so SEA, CSEC and CAPE not important. They get them into a good secondary school then transfer to international school for SAT prep to go to the US.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » June 28th, 2019, 11:34 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
rspann wrote:I don't want no racist answer eh. Is there any reason why mostly Indians always top SEA?

Emphasis on traditional education. Among indo-trinis this is stressed in just about every socio-economic class from destitute straight up to generationally wealthy.

Among the other races it is generally not as stressed, such as in the syrian community where entrepreneurship and business mindedness is stressed over book sense; they send their children to foreign universities either way, so SEA, CSEC and CAPE not important. They get them into a good secondary school then transfer to international school for SAT prep to go to the US.

X2

Education is a main strong pillar. Indian families, especially indian grandparents who came from the cane fields made it their business for their children to be in school as they didn't have the opportunity to do so and they understood the importance. They also don't allow any forces to distract their children from education, especially that does not add to the educational experience.

I know many indian couples who break up but one of the parents or both don't mix matters when it comes to their children's education.

Also, because of the above many Indo-children who write SEA face a lot of stress. If they don't perform well, many parents come down on them.
Last edited by The_Honourable on June 28th, 2019, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » June 28th, 2019, 11:38 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:

The same goes for indos in the UK, US and Canada as well...

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » June 29th, 2019, 1:25 am

Tiger parenting is oftentimes parents looking to show worth and status through the achievements of their children. They look for the praise of raising a "successful" child, but fail to prepare them for actual life.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » June 29th, 2019, 5:26 am

Congrats to all the younguns' who sat this years exam.

The_Honourable wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

X2

Education is a main strong pillar. Indian families, especially indian grandparents who came from the cane fields made it their business for their children to be in school as they didn't have the opportunity to do so and they understood the importance. They also don't allow any forces to distract their children from education, especially that does not add to the educational experience.

I know many indian couples who break up but one of the parents or both don't mix matters when it comes to their children's education.

Also, because of the above many Indo-children who write SEA face a lot of stress. If they don't perform well, many parents come down on them.

This. For some parents, the push for success is often selfish in that they view their child's performance as a reflection on themselves i.e. good performance = great parent; bad performance = bad parent.

For others it's a status thing: "My child passed for [Insert prestige school here], and yours?"

The sad part is if the affected children don't have a strong constitution they crack. I know of a young lady who got a nervous breakdown because her parents were on her to "help out the situation" by winning a scholarship...:|

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » June 29th, 2019, 5:36 am

PNM attention whores...:|

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 29th, 2019, 7:36 am

Gladiator wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

The same goes for indos in the UK, US and Canada as well...
Not really true as Muslim Pakistani/ Indians in the UK are not top performers and are becoming lowlifes

A UK report showed that it's mostly Hindu and Sikh kids that are the top performers.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 29th, 2019, 7:44 am

When PNM kids don't perform. The PNM goverment offers them secret scholships, lowers entry requirements for courses. I remember one PNM bigwig saying Indian teachers don't teach African kids and Indian schools don't accept African kids.

Would you send kwame to a Sat school?

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 29th, 2019, 7:49 am

As i always say, thin line between racism and facts and this is a fact...Indian homes (from grandparents come down) stress on education from 1st year...starting with which school the child attends to extra lessons almost 5 days of the week..90% of Indian parents will make the extra sacrifice to spend the little that they have for their child's education and leave themselves incomplete...

It's just in their nature, especially where you have grandparents who survived on farming etc..another question is how come when you see school fights, children playing with guns, children cussing the teacher etc (they are mainly from children of the african race?) It is not racist...just facts..

Then it have those in society who will watch the oily hair and laugh at them...but who cares

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 29th, 2019, 8:13 am

You're mixing up "nature" with "culture."
Nature is something that is inherent and programmed through genetic memory. Things like a spider building a web, sex drive in living things, etc.

Culture is passed on from one generation to the next to preserve ideas and practices.

How the people that were brought here as slaves going to have culture when everything was stripped away by the slave owners? (ref: Roots historical TV series). So therefore from 1838 and onward they would have had to develop their own unique culture to survive, without having the luxury of historical culture passed on that Indian migrant workers had. Thoughts, ideas and practices were retained from those who came from India. Any of you all ever sat down and take in a Roots session without weeping for the pain of our ancestors?

But it's quite different now, where we have more freedom and equality in society and there is real culture that has been developed over the last hundred years. A lot of people love... they so love to stick to their racist ideas and promote constant and continuous division and hate. And they will make up a lot of theories to justify those ideas. Just listen to your grandparents talk. There are ideas about race and scholarships, and Mt. Hope entry. They are wrong ideas. Indian culture used to be different from African culture, but today in 2019 Trinidadian culture is the same between both races. In time you will see these lines drawn in education performance being blurred.

But as Mr. Marley once said, at this point in our society it's really about emancipating yourself from mental slavery. Abolish SEA.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”