Forums

Online amazon currency conversion

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Online amazon currency conversion

Postby Ben_spanna » August 22nd, 2019, 7:52 am

Now sure how many people have realized but when you shop online at amazon, when youre checking out if youre paying with a credit card when you get to choose your currency if you choose to pay in TT dollars online the conversion works out to just over 7.1 :1 .
Is this because of local banks? or is it amazon that makes the extra money on every transaction?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Online amazon currency conversion

Postby maj. tom » August 22nd, 2019, 8:01 am

The local banks and Central Bank have been lying about the real currency exchange rate for the USD:TT dollar. That's why every online transaction as well as Western Union and MoneyGram have been using a higher rate, which is likely the real rate on the market. That's also why there is never any USD available (at the bank's set price) to the average citizen to perform any transactions.

There's a thread about devaluation of the USD.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 22nd, 2019, 8:04 am

Whenever I buy online like Amazon and attempt to pay in TT they will charge atleast $7TT for 1 US

But when I pay in US and then pay my republic bank credit card online it only costs me $6.79 TT

This is why I never pay in TT on Amazon and I just pay in USD cause its just cheaper

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 22nd, 2019, 8:23 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Whenever I buy online like Amazon and attempt to pay in TT they will charge atleast $7TT for 1 US

But when I pay in US and then pay my republic bank credit card online it only costs me $6.79 TT

This is why I never pay in TT on Amazon and I just pay in USD cause its just cheaper

I know- but who is receiving the extra $$ in these transactions where you pay in US on Amazon? is it amazon itself or do our local banks profit from it?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » August 22nd, 2019, 8:42 am

PayPal also. Small amounts is minimal but for larger values it will cost you.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » August 22nd, 2019, 9:14 am

Short answer
TTD is not of any value to them, & you pay the additional for the cost to them to conduct business with you in a currency they have no use for

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » August 22nd, 2019, 9:19 am

Certain stores in the US also has a 2 currency option at their physical stores check out counter - Ross, Burlington etc. I guess it comes up automatically once they detect the country of origin of the Credit Card.

With those its the aame thing, the TT values are more than 6.8 x whatever value of US$ goods you buy.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 22nd, 2019, 10:44 am

88sins wrote:Short answer
TTD is not of any value to them, & you pay the additional for the cost to them to conduct business with you in a currency they have no use for

yes this makes sense

useful if we no longer have access to usd when the world no longer has use for our oil and gas

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » August 22nd, 2019, 2:45 pm

Paying Paypal or Amazon's 7.1-7.2 is very helpful at least to me to circumvent USD limit on my republic CC.
You can literally send tens of thousands of dollars that way in one shot rather than waiting for USD to become available in a large bulk.
At a higher cost yes but sometimes the only way to send alot of money quickly when needed.
Maybe if i was a 1%'er i would get thru with a wire transfer but dem does ask too much question ah find.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 22nd, 2019, 2:59 pm

I accepted that $7.15 conversion rate at least 18mths ago...it is what it is

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 22nd, 2019, 3:57 pm

Sooo, about that.
I tried that with a pair of running shoes - came up to about 280 TTD.
When Aeropost got it, they charged me Duties, Vat, and Shipping on 280USD, although the amount was clearly stated in TTD on the receipt and I did the USD conversion in the Prealert.

Took a couple months of me quarelling, but they waived it and let me pay the rightful amount. Remember, they pay these charges on your behalf, so they took a hit there.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 22nd, 2019, 5:25 pm

Idk how people go make out when that 25% tax takes effect...

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 22nd, 2019, 5:43 pm

WATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Idk how people go make out when that 25% tax takes effect...

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » August 22nd, 2019, 5:44 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Idk how people go make out when that 25% tax takes effect...

what 25% tax bai

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » August 22nd, 2019, 6:17 pm

Like Imbutt raising again owha?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 22nd, 2019, 6:36 pm

88sins wrote:

what 25% tax bai

Well it will only be for items from China...which is like a lot....trump has imposed further tariffs on goods from China

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » August 22nd, 2019, 7:21 pm

Donald Dump imposing more or higher tariffs on American imports from China will increase prices there & by extension here. It's not an original thought on his part, he just following the recent push for Americans to buy American made products to stimulate their economy & create jobs at home. But the Chinese gonna most likely respond by lowering prices wherever possible as much as possible to remain competitive source for goods to Americans.

but in any event, there is an easy workaround to avoiding all that American tariff imposed by an idiot nonsense

As a Trini, just buy direct from China if/when possible & leave out the American middle man. Goods may take longer to reach once you can source what you want in the quantities you want, shipping costs might be higher too. Or buy items online from the US that were not made in China.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 22nd, 2019, 7:42 pm

88sins wrote:Donald Dump imposing more or higher tariffs on American imports from China will increase prices there & by extension here. It's not an original thought on his part, he just following the recent push for Americans to buy American made products to stimulate their economy & create jobs at home. But the Chinese gonna most likely respond by lowering prices wherever possible as much as possible to remain competitive source for goods to Americans.

but in any event, there is an easy workaround to avoiding all that American tariff imposed by an idiot nonsense

As a Trini, just buy direct from China if/when possible & leave out the American middle man. Goods may take longer to reach once you can source what you want in the quantities you want, shipping costs might be higher too. Or buy items online from the US that were not made in China.

Entire tariffs thing gonna take effect from sept 1st...The orion company are already inflating prices...All them people who like to go murica to shop will realise it nuh really make much sense...Nike and Puma already said it....

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » August 22nd, 2019, 9:03 pm

the tariffs are real. i've noticed amazon's prices went up 30% on some stuff i was checking last year. the new sept 1 tariffs will hit everything that wasn't already tariffed

tariffs + USA recession + Trinidad already in recession or depression :drinking:

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » August 22nd, 2019, 10:21 pm

the real Amazon bunnin dong and dais wa u studying? :cry:

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 23rd, 2019, 4:59 am

lol^

for those audio heads, orion hcca line has pulled several of it's products from amazon....the remaining products are now ridiculously priced....just as the distributor here:

the 8k mono which was $8200 would now cost at least $9200

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » August 23rd, 2019, 6:01 am

When Amazon offers TtD charges...they act as a middleman...that comes at a cost...so yes they make money if they do the conversion...just like the bank.

It's Amazon...they there to make margins.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 23rd, 2019, 8:36 am

88sins wrote:Donald Dump imposing more or higher tariffs on American imports from China will increase prices there & by extension here. It's not an original thought on his part, he just following the recent push for Americans to buy American made products to stimulate their economy & create jobs at home. But the Chinese gonna most likely respond by lowering prices wherever possible as much as possible to remain competitive source for goods to Americans.

Exactly- why feed the middle man! eliminate them all together.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » August 23rd, 2019, 12:11 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:Now sure how many people have realized but when you shop online at amazon, when youre checking out if youre paying with a credit card when you get to choose your currency if you choose to pay in TT dollars online the conversion works out to just over 7.1 :1 .
Is this because of local banks? or is it amazon that makes the extra money on every transaction?

you are actually asking if a merchant is selling a service at a profit and blaming someone else for it?
how "special" are you?

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » August 23rd, 2019, 12:53 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:

Entire tariffs thing gonna take effect from sept 1st...The orion company are already inflating prices...All them people who like to go murica to shop will realise it nuh really make much sense...Nike and Puma already said it....

Its actually delayed until December 15th. Trump has stated that he is considering the holiday season for Americans.
But it has affected stocks thus far.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”