Forums

Trinidad & Tobago Are The Biggest Plastic Polluters Per Capita In The World

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Trinidad & Tobago Are The Biggest Plastic Polluters Per Capita In The World

Postby abducted » September 20th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Of the top thirty global polluters per capita, ten are from the Caribbean region. These are Trinidad & Tobago, Antigua & Barbuda, St. Kitts & Nevis, Guyana, Barbados, St. Lucia, Bahamas, Grenada, Anguilla and Aruba; and every year, these ten island nations generate more plastic debris than the weight of 20,000 space shuttles.

The biggest culprit is Trinidad & Tobago, which produces a whopping 3.6 kilograms of plastic waste per capita per day— the largest in the world— and almost six times more than Kuwait, which is in distant second place. At least 5% per capita per day (or 0.19 kg per person per day) of this plastic debris is almost guaranteed to end up in the ocean due to improper disposal, amounting to more marine plastic originating in Trinidad & Tobago (per capita) than 98% of the countries in the world. (2010)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daphneewin ... 5946f1774b

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: Trinidad & Tobago Are The Biggest Plastic Polluters Per Capita In The World

Postby pugboy » September 20th, 2019, 7:56 pm

That figure a bit far fetched
So everybody dumping3.6kg of plastic everyday?
How do they come up with that?

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » September 20th, 2019, 7:56 pm

https://www.trinituner.com/v4/forums/vi ... p?t=696194

Every few years somebody hadda write de same sheit again...

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 20th, 2019, 8:02 pm

pugboy wrote:That figure a bit far fetched
So everybody dumping3.6kg of plastic everyday?
How do they come up with that?

Average per day per capita. The problem is industry and businesses which produce massive amounts of pollution and there are no plans in place to deal with it. Not even attempting to recycle a percentage of that. So on average, when you add it all up, I can believe that figure per day. Unlike the rest of the Caribbean, Trinidad is very industrialized. You can image how much waste per day is generated by just from shipping all those goods and products alone into this country.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » September 20th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Is not just plastic, and it also shows the condition of most trinis' minds.
Their mind/mindset/mentality is so dirty and primitive, that the pollution is just a projection of what is inside.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 20th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Well that is one factor, but the fault lies with the Government. They have no plans, no properly enforced laws, no recycling center in place to deal with the waste except the landfill dumps and illegal dumping. Even the most environmentally conscious citizen's waste ends up there despite the best care, the same as the nastiest polluter.

The Government never took this problem seriously and doesn't seem to have any intentions to do anything about it. I guess they will start when micro and nano plastics get in our food and water supply in larger amounts within 20 to 30 years and there is a decrease in birthrates with increase in cancers and birth defects. This is such a serious problem but it's very latent and has no immediate effects that affects us right now, just like Global Warming. That is why our clown circus politics will never address this issue properly until it's too late.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 20th, 2019, 8:22 pm

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » September 20th, 2019, 8:48 pm

brb, throwing away 3.6kg of plastic.

that seems high tbh. anybody else throwing away that much plastic today?

so one of the points of critical thinking is the need to question the source and not take information at face value. So we have to dig to find the source of the numbers in the "article". It references an aggregator website that links to a journal article from 2015, (i.e., old news that is recycled so a "contributor" on forbes's website can make a click bait article.) What is click bait? Click here to find out.

So let's go to that 2015 article and the numbers. Here's the abstract:
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/347/6223/768/

Considerable progress has been made in determining the amount and location of plastic debris in our seas, but how much plastic actually enters them in the first place is more uncertain. Jambeck et al. combine available data on solid waste with a model that uses population density and economic status to estimate the amount of land-based plastic waste entering the ocean.

So we have a journal article that estimates the amount of plastics pollution entering the oceans by looking at population density (!) and economic status. my take away is that tiny, highly-populated islands being top-of-the-list is an artifact of their model, and not any systematic data gathering on those islands.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 20th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Not discounting plastic disposal is a real problem

But these writers go trolling for data and then write an article based on whatever data they go or wanted to get.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 20th, 2019, 11:19 pm

maj. tom wrote:Well that is one factor, but the fault lies with the Government. They have no plans, no properly enforced laws, no recycling center in place to deal with the waste except the landfill dumps and illegal dumping. Even the most environmentally conscious citizen's waste ends up there despite the best care, the same as the nastiest polluter.

The Government never took this problem seriously and doesn't seem to have any intentions to do anything about it. I guess they will start when micro and nano plastics get in our food and water supply in larger amounts within 20 to 30 years and there is a decrease in birthrates with increase in cancers and birth defects. This is such a serious problem but it's very latent and has no immediate effects that affects us right now, just like Global Warming. That is why our clown circus politics will never address this issue properly until it's too late.

You off by about 20-30 years. :lol: Le Cunte says the Beverage Container Bill 2012 :roll: will be implemented soon.

QM
Street 2NR

Postby QM » September 21st, 2019, 10:30 pm

There should be mandatory sorting of garbage.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » September 22nd, 2019, 11:49 am

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » September 22nd, 2019, 12:25 pm

Wasn't their figure off by a decimal point?

No_Name
Sweet on this forum

Postby No_Name » September 22nd, 2019, 11:37 pm

maj. tom wrote:Well that is one factor, but the fault lies with the Government. They have no plans, no properly enforced laws, no recycling center in place to deal with the waste except the landfill dumps and illegal dumping. Even the most environmentally conscious citizen's waste ends up there despite the best care, the same as the nastiest polluter.

Egg-zackly...!!!
Instead of Govts promoting recycling, proper waste disposal, creating of bio degradable products/industries/employment/better quality of life for all...
Dey presently investing multi millions in useless boats that we don't own, to promote an Island that's Industry-less, that really doesn't add to the bottom line...
Go figure (& that's just one eg)

Sōsuke Aizen
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Sōsuke Aizen » September 23rd, 2019, 12:17 am

all we care about is zessing, going pnm fete 2020, "allyuh too wicked" and promoting this stink ghetto culture because we want struggling with an identity crisis

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » September 23rd, 2019, 2:01 pm

Blaze d Chalice wrote:Is not just plastic, and it also shows the condition of most trinis' minds.
Their mind/mindset/mentality is so dirty and primitive, that the pollution is just a projection of what is inside.

I think the both of you are correctly describing two sides of the same coin. Some of the nicest rivers and waterfalls constantly have old food boxes and bottles floating around or on the river banks. The plastic bottles clogging our drains are from littering as well. I wonder how many of people that litter would treat their own house the same way. I think for some reason they feel no connection to or love for this country and therefore just don't care how they treat it.

On the other had, I wish I could recycle but obviously don't want to put out too much effort to do so cuz I'm busy and can't make a priority out of something that will not enrich me. Selfish but with the economy I know many people feel the same way. Time is a limited resource and bills are infinite. They should start by putting large recycling dumpsters in public locations. I don't mind putting all my recyclable one side and carrying it to drop it off when I heading out the road. So many simple things not being done. Clearly neither political party really cares about this.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 23rd, 2019, 2:34 pm

The vid from yesterday by speed way with all the bottles incl the cooking oil kegs in the drains showed the extent of our nastiness

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”