Forums

Local bank accounts hacked?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Local bank accounts hacked?

Postby Ben_spanna » October 14th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Been hearing of more and more cases of peoples bank accounts with money gone missing …………….. anyone else has had recent similar experiences? Wondering if one of the local banks have been hacked!?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Local bank accounts hacked?

Postby 88sins » October 14th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Heard similar but not really so much hacked as it was info on ppl accounts stolen and replicated and monies moved. Incidences of electronic theft and identity theft are on the rise ppl.

a word to the wise
when using an atm, even if it's an onsite atm, stand as close as possible to the keypad and put yuh hand over the keypad EVERY TIME you enter your PIN. Skimmers and scanners are literally everywhere.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » October 14th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Which banks?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » October 14th, 2019, 3:25 pm

It could be any bank, even yours.

Be cautious at all times.

Set up online banking for all your accounts and check transactions and balances regularly.

Set up text/email notification alerts for when your card is in use.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 14th, 2019, 5:09 pm

scotia had come compromised cards recently. Seems as though their ATMs were targeted

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » October 14th, 2019, 5:27 pm

OP....please specify. Are you referring to atm scamming or something else.
Atm scamming going on decades now. This is not new.

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » October 14th, 2019, 5:52 pm

88sins wrote:Heard similar but not really so much hacked as it was info on ppl accounts stolen and replicated and monies moved. Incidences of electronic theft and identity theft are on the rise ppl.

a word to the wise
when using an atm, even if it's an onsite atm, stand as close as possible to the keypad and put yuh hand over the keypad EVERY TIME you enter your PIN. Skimmers and scanners are literally everywhere.

Good advice but you also have to check for a PIN pad overlay which defeats attempts to hide PIN entry with your hand.
https://www.hoax-slayer.com/atm-skimming-scam-warning.shtml
http://shieldyourpin.org/photos/pinpad-overlay-photos/

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » October 14th, 2019, 11:03 pm

meanwhile two months passed, and still cant receive the mailed credit card statement for August.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 15th, 2019, 2:26 am

wagonrunner wrote:meanwhile two months passed, and still cant receive the mailed credit card statement for August.

Mailed? Is there some reason you prefer that mode?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » October 15th, 2019, 3:10 am

wagonrunner wrote:meanwhile two months passed, and still cant receive the mailed credit card statement for August.

Someone probably done open that and read it up.

Go paperless bro.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 15th, 2019, 8:51 am

usually a bit of a lag with CC statements because of the odd billing cycles that don't necessarily mesh with month start/end

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » October 15th, 2019, 10:54 am

Still can't understand why people still use ATM's though. Can't remember the last time i even used an ATM. Most places accept card payments now and if u need cash just go in the bank once for the month and withdraw how much cash u need for the month (it is a lot less than u might be thinking).

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » October 15th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Wife's card got skimmed at the fcb atm in shoppes of arima over the weekend. Be careful!

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 15th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Nexus wrote:Wife's card got skimmed at the fcb atm in shoppes of arima over the weekend. Be careful!

FCB? that's a first (budum tss)

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » October 15th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Nexus wrote:Wife's card got skimmed at the fcb atm in shoppes of arima over the weekend. Be careful!

All ATMs should have cameras watching activities like illegal installation of these devices, as well as monitoring outside the atm for potential bandits. I know RBL has cams for all ATMs I've been to. Not sure about the other banks.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 15th, 2019, 6:06 pm

fokhan_96 wrote:Still can't understand why people still use ATM's though. Can't remember the last time i even used an ATM. Most places accept card payments now and if u need cash just go in the bank once for the month and withdraw how much cash u need for the month (it is a lot less than u might be thinking).

maybe not for you, but it not so simple for everyone eh sonny Jim
For example, during any given month I may spend anywhere between $2500 and $6000 in expenses I pay for in cash. it could be business related or personal expenses like lunch and other costs, or wifey pin money or bills or items for the kids or the harem or to pay for things used for charity. Cash makes it easier, and atm's make it convenient. I not seeing the sense in standing in a line for 30-40 minutes to withdraw 6K and everyone seeing me leaving with that when I might only spend 3K that month, when I can just pull out what I need when I need it from an atm.
once you take precautions and keep an ever vigilant eye on your daily balances you'll be able to spot any suspect movements and take action to suit.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » October 15th, 2019, 6:32 pm

redmanjp wrote:

All ATMs should have cameras watching activities like illegal installation of these devices, as well as monitoring outside the atm for potential bandits. I know RBL has cams for all ATMs I've been to. Not sure about the other banks.

Lol banks are discouraging use of the counter and I believe it’s cheaper to use the atm

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » October 15th, 2019, 8:48 pm

hmmmm..........

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » October 15th, 2019, 11:10 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:

usually a bit of a lag with CC statements because of the odd billing cycles that don't necessarily mesh with month start/end

the statements are monthly and usually arrive within two weeks of statement date.
Received July 14 statement By July 30th.
Waiting on August 14 and September 14 statements.
Today is October 15th.

MaxPower wrote:Someone probably done open that and read it up.
Go paperless bro.

I'm all ears on how to get access to that, since the institution (FCB) does not currently offer it.
I use online banking, but there are discrepancies, which the statements are used to rectify.
De Dragon wrote:Mailed? Is there some reason you prefer that mode?

Read above.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 16th, 2019, 1:36 am

wagonrunner wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

the statements are monthly and usually arrive within two weeks of statement date.
Received July 14 statement By July 30th.
Waiting on August 14 and September 14 statements.
Today is October 15th.

MaxPower wrote:Someone probably done open that and read it up.
Go paperless bro.

I'm all ears on how to get access to that, since the institution (FCB) does not currently offer it.
I use online banking, but there are discrepancies, which the statements are used to rectify.
De Dragon wrote:Mailed? Is there some reason you prefer that mode?

Read above.

I wouldn't have asked if I had known this. In this day and age no online CC statements? Then again it's the "government" bank :roll:

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 16th, 2019, 9:04 am

wagonrunner, I'm with FCB and I know the lag of which you speak.
I must say that in my opinion, their online banking interface is the best I've used locally (compared with RBL and Scotia).
I've never had any discrepancies with the online report - but perhaps it's because my card is used < 20 times per month

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » October 16th, 2019, 12:24 pm

FCB online system was fantastic. In many ways it still is.
The service from staff has declined in the last few years sadly

interest charges do not show up online. neither does the membership fee.
there have been two instances where charges made in 2017 and 2018, were duplicated in 2018 and 2019 respectively.
interest was charged. the charges were reversed but I had to use the statements to get the interest reversed.

also issues where purchases were made. posted. and paid off.
the online system showed a hold on funds. querys say there is a hold on funds that is not their end. but the statement shows the correct balance, which can then be amended.

you're losing money by spending cash.
the credit card gives you minimum $1 for every $100 you spend.
cash gives you nothing.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 16th, 2019, 12:34 pm

wagonrunner wrote:FCB online system was fantastic. In many ways it still is.

there have been two instances where charges made in 2017 and 2018, were duplicated in 2018 and 2019 respectively.
interest was charged. the charges were reversed but I had to use the statements to get the interest reversed.

the online system showed a hold on funds. querys say there is a hold on funds that is not their end. but the statement shows the correct balance, which can then be amended.

cash gives you nothing.

Just checked and you are correct. That's rather dumb on their end. Why won't all charges/fees not show up on the online report? Somebody need to rewrite that sql query lol

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 16th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Is it a discrepancy or a delay in reporting?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 16th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Is it a discrepancy or a delay in reporting?

Online report contains less/different information than the printed version.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » October 16th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Is it a discrepancy or a delay in reporting?

FCB usually gave out transaction IDs.
Received two regarding a query for duplicate amounts regarding an amazon transaction, (one payment, one hold) and was told the vendor would have to clear the hold.
I responded with the email from the vendor stating one transaction ID was the payment and they (amazon) has no hold with the other transaction ID.
Since then, they have stopped providing transaction ID's.
Does that seem to be a step in the cover their ass direction regarding discrepancies.?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 17th, 2019, 12:37 am

cash gives you nothing.

oh how I beg to differ
cc may give you 1% back, but let's not forget, depending on the card and bank that's not going to be on every single purchase. Add to that, if you don't pay back what you spend on or before time they charge you 2% interest. So using a cc can turn out to be actually more costly than using cash. The trick is as you spend it, pay it, but many ppl can't do this for varying reasons (no time to go to bank & they don't have online banking, or most commonly they used the cc for an emergency payment because they didn't have sufficient cash to do so & they simply don't have the cash to make the payment on the cc before the due date)
Using a cc over cash can help build your credit standing, but that depends on how you service it and the way you manage your other cash accounts with it. If your cc forever has an o/s balance and interest payments, (even if you keep adding to your savings regularly) it will negatively affect if and how you get other forms of financing, because many banks look at cc debt as something very close to a double sided on demand loan. You demand a loan from the bank instantly and get it, (and they have the right to demand full payment of o/s amnounts as well even tho they hardly ever do). Fail to maintain your loan properly and you can probably expect to either get blanked or a reduced borrowing limit or higher interest rate in the future when seeking financing.

I will keep using cash, using my cc the way I usually have over the years which is really for whenever I travel, online expenses, and only for local purchases if I don't have enough cash on me or my debit cards and I'm not in a position to move my money around from my other accounts at the immediate point in time. This has been working very well for me over the decades.

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » October 17th, 2019, 8:44 am

88sins wrote:Heard similar but not really so much hacked as it was info on ppl accounts stolen and replicated and monies moved. Incidences of electronic theft and identity theft are on the rise ppl.

a word to the wise

Do exactly this to prevent ur pin from being captured, even if the fraudster skim ur card ur Pin is protected:

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » October 17th, 2019, 10:06 am

88sins wrote:oh how I beg to differ
cc may give you 1% back, but let's not forget, depending on the card and bank that's not going to be on every single purchase.

as said it's at FCB. this is the feature of the Visa Classic Card.
It is on every single purchase. It is the minimum, on some type purchases the return is even higher.
And since these are purchases that would be made anyway, why are you suffering interest charges?
Using a credit card as an emergency fund that ou cannot afford to pay is irresponsible. It is not free / extra money.
If you use it as a loan, suffer the consequences.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 17th, 2019, 10:18 am

cash gives you nothing.

I never reconcile my FCB online with the paper based statement. By the time the paper one comes I usually would have paid using the online amounts.

I should really start checking them both.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”