TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS
Posts: 3426
Joined: July 1st, 2005, 11:11 am
Location: Second star to the right.

Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby Strugglerzinc » October 21st, 2019, 11:17 am

Thoughts on this?


https://newsday.co.tt/2019/10/21/tt-student-in-us-seeks-help/

A Chaguanas father is making a desperate plea to the public for any assistance that can help reduce the financial burdens he faces in his attempts to fund his daughter's last few months in a US college.

Speaking to the Newsday in an interview, Paul Tobitt shared that his 23-year-old daughter Anella Tobitt is currently enrolled at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York pursuing a degree in fraud investigation and financial forensics.

"She is doing very well academically. She has been on the dean's list from the first semester," said Paul.

Anella maintains a GPA of 3.58.

Anella previously pursued a degree in accounting at the University of the Southern Caribbean. Due to her performance in the programme, she was able to transfer her credits to the John Jay College which has granted her the ability to complete her current course of studies in just under two years as opposed to four years. She is expected to graduate in May 2020.

Though Paul had retired from his job in the defence force several years ago, he sought employment in 2013 with a private company. He had also planned ahead of funding any eventual studies for Anella by creating a savings account.


Anella Tobitt is in desperate need of financial assistance to complete her studies at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York. -
It was on these savings and income that Paul sought to fund Anella's way through the US-based college. Those plans were, however, thrown off course when Paul was forced to leave his job three months ago.

Describing the cost of Anella's studies, Paul said, "It costs roughly TT$120,000 per semester."

In a tight financial situation Paul says the pressures of funding his daughter's studies have become overwhelming.

The family is now aiming to raise US$20,000. This will help with the remaining tuition and accommodation fees for Anella's last few months of studies.

"She has just started working, but has not collected her first salary as yet."

In addition to starting a GoFundMe page, Paul is also teaming up with the Svaada Restaurant in St James for a fundraiser.

"The partnership with the restaurant would be done over a period of time." The fund-raising initiative which starts this week will give patrons the options of purchasing $50 meal tickets from which proceeds will go towards Anella.

Anella spoke briefly to the Newsday via phone from New York. Describing the experience thus far at the college she says, "It's really interesting. You get different perspectives."

Revealing her current degree was inspired by her love for law and accounting she said, "It's a balance between both and I enjoy it."

Anella says that white collar crime is not something that most people are aware of and the issue is damaging to not only businesses but also customers. She hopes to tackle this issue though as she said, "If I can assist I am all for it.

"I definitely want to come back to TT because the degree will be useful to the anti-fraud unit." She hopes to work her way up and help change the system.

She is asking anyone that can lend a helping hand to reach out.

"The help will be important. Wherever I get help from I want people to see it was not in vain."

Advertisement
User avatar
maj. tom
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5938
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: watching for Pigs on the Wing.

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby maj. tom » October 21st, 2019, 12:56 pm

:|
Last edited by maj. tom on October 21st, 2019, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 13112
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
Location: ���

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 21st, 2019, 12:58 pm

Seems like he's doing what any good father would do.
He can't make so he's asking for help. Do you know how bitter that pill is to swallow for most men?

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7052
Joined: August 19th, 2004, 2:48 pm

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby Redman » October 21st, 2019, 1:06 pm

^^^^^
Tough call for the dad.

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 962
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby vaiostation » October 21st, 2019, 1:09 pm

If the boy from laventille could get help to go princeton, I don't see why this father won't succeed.

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/05/06/change ... aventille/

User avatar
nemisis
punchin NOS
Posts: 4045
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 10:09 am

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby nemisis » October 21st, 2019, 1:25 pm

With the way things are in the country, all he needs to do to raise them funds is have an EDM LATIN SECRET PARTY

User avatar
rebound
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1007
Joined: July 2nd, 2010, 12:40 pm

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby rebound » October 21st, 2019, 1:56 pm

Kudos to the Dad for putting "pride" aside and focusing on the prize.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10074
Joined: June 25th, 2010, 10:23 pm
Location: Trinituner 24/7

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby rspann » October 21st, 2019, 4:29 pm

Daddy might not get any help from the PNM or the UNC.

User avatar
VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 13112
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
Location: ���

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 21st, 2019, 5:58 pm

rspann wrote:Daddy might not get any help from the PNM or the UNC.
Probably..it's an election year. People will be jumping out deyself to make a lil news

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10074
Joined: June 25th, 2010, 10:23 pm
Location: Trinituner 24/7

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby rspann » October 21st, 2019, 6:13 pm

Nah. With what she study, she is a danger to both of them. They wouldn't want her to qualify and come back here.

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 23773
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 21st, 2019, 6:30 pm

Firstly nuff respect to the father...

Secondly, dont expect one mc from govt...I am speaking from and still experiencing it through my brother and other close relatives studying at FIU

My brother's fees cross 300k tt at the end of masters(not one cent from either govt)..however, his field of study is one which can turn him into a millionaire just like that and this is where the govt of the day will preach and say he is a son of the soil and all kinda fckery....but when we asked for assistance...nothing...my parents worked day and night to pay those fees...he tried for local scholarships and still nothing (mind you his GPA @ 3.9 eh

Bottom line, studying abroad....yuh hada find yuh way...

He has a bsc in computer eng
Masters in cyber sec& ethical hacking
Moving on to phd

bluefete
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6668
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Location: POS

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby bluefete » October 21st, 2019, 8:05 pm

Just like the young lady, both PNM and UNC will be afraid to hire him.

User avatar
sMASH
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 13223
Joined: January 11th, 2005, 4:30 am

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby sMASH » October 21st, 2019, 8:25 pm

she can be the hero this sh!thole needs.

User avatar
88sins
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5943
Joined: July 22nd, 2007, 3:03 pm
Location: Corner of Everywhere Avenue & Nowhere Drive

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby 88sins » October 22nd, 2019, 9:55 am

There's these things called student loans that I heard about. maybe someone should tell her about them

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 733
Joined: June 5th, 2007, 3:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby mitch1980 » October 22nd, 2019, 10:58 am

Father swallowed his pride.
why don't she take a year off and work and or apply for loan?
that was how the Pre- GATE/ Dollar for Dollar people knew about Tertiary Education.

User avatar
88sins
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5943
Joined: July 22nd, 2007, 3:03 pm
Location: Corner of Everywhere Avenue & Nowhere Drive

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby 88sins » October 22nd, 2019, 12:02 pm

mitch1980 wrote:Father swallowed his pride.
why don't she take a year off and work and or apply for loan?
that was how the Pre- GATE/ Dollar for Dollar people knew about Tertiary Education.

that requires an amount of willingness to be responsible for one's own actions that this student apparently does NOT have.




Father has no shame & it seems he doesn't mind showing his offspring that that's something to aspire to
When I was going to school, is not only my parent's had the responsibility for my tuition, I had to work for money to eat, travel, for books, even to pay for exam fees. Same goes for millions of others around the globe .
he need to realize, his kid might be special in his eyes, but that's where that ends. If she really wants money for tuition & exam fees & even accommodation, all she hadda do is take a student loan & pay it back when she finish school & start working.

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 733
Joined: June 5th, 2007, 3:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby mitch1980 » October 22nd, 2019, 12:18 pm

88sins wrote:
mitch1980 wrote:Father swallowed his pride.
why don't she take a year off and work and or apply for loan?
that was how the Pre- GATE/ Dollar for Dollar people knew about Tertiary Education.

that requires an amount of willingness to be responsible for one's own actions that this student apparently does NOT have.




Father has no shame & it seems he doesn't mind showing his offspring that that's something to aspire to
When I was going to school, is not only my parent's had the responsibility for my tuition, I had to work for money to eat, travel, for books, even to pay for exam fees. Same goes for millions of others around the globe .
he need to realize, his kid might be special in his eyes, but that's where that ends. If she really wants money for tuition & exam fees & even accommodation, all she hadda do is take a student loan & pay it back when she finish school & start working.



In full agreement here.
I have a friend who was simply brilliant - 8 Ones , 4 Bs from A Levels (Cambridge)- She was from a poor home and got a part time job here and there then got into the bank casual labour - She did ACCA and took 5 years. Along the 5 years she topped 6 courses world wide.

Even during my UWI days - worked in the cafe and odd part time jobs to get some pocket change. At the end of my UWI days I had no job as yet and over 100,000 Student loan. Got 2 jobs -56 avg hour work weeks to help pay off that over the next few years.

Many people today have "Entitlement Syndrome" . Hard work and making sacrifices are a thing of the past.

User avatar
Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10381
Joined: February 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: People's Republic of Bananas

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby Dizzy28 » October 22nd, 2019, 12:38 pm

Bunch of sour fcuks in here. The father is not demanding money, he is merely asking on top of the fund raising which he is also doing. You are free not to give.

And before you all go off on your sad stories I too did under grad at university before dollar for dollar and GATE so I am fully aware of the struggles of paying fees then coming out and getting shitty jobs while trying to balance debts.

speedmelter
30 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2507
Joined: October 1st, 2011, 7:15 pm
Location: counting stars..

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby speedmelter » October 22nd, 2019, 1:38 pm

Don’t mean to be a bum but both her and her dad could be financially free if they were trading forex and networking and marketing iml education.

As a matter of fact they would be making so much money from it that she would not be wasting time doing that expensive degree.

User avatar
Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10381
Joined: February 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: People's Republic of Bananas

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby Dizzy28 » October 22nd, 2019, 1:41 pm

speedmelter wrote:Don’t mean to be a bum but both her and her dad could be financially free if they were trading forex and networking and marketing iml education.

As a matter of fact they would be making so much money from it that she would not be wasting time doing that expensive degree.


Laughs Zorcefully!!!!

User avatar
Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS
Posts: 3426
Joined: July 1st, 2005, 11:11 am
Location: Second star to the right.

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby Strugglerzinc » October 22nd, 2019, 2:32 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Bunch of sour fcuks in here. The father is not demanding money, he is merely asking on top of the fund raising which he is also doing. You are free not to give.

And before you all go off on your sad stories I too did under grad at university before dollar for dollar and GATE so I am fully aware of the struggles of paying fees then coming out and getting shitty jobs while trying to balance debts.


Sure it wasn't costing 120k at her initial school but now he need help because they play bright and want to go big school without having the money to pay for it?

speedmelter
30 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2507
Joined: October 1st, 2011, 7:15 pm
Location: counting stars..

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby speedmelter » October 22nd, 2019, 3:05 pm

We Trini people don’t know what is the meaning of sacrifice.

We don’t know what is gratitude.

We don’t know what is charity.

We manipulate the three to benefit ourselves.

User avatar
88sins
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5943
Joined: July 22nd, 2007, 3:03 pm
Location: Corner of Everywhere Avenue & Nowhere Drive

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby 88sins » October 22nd, 2019, 3:06 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Bunch of sour fcuks in here. The father is not demanding money, he is merely asking on top of the fund raising which he is also doing. You are free not to give.

And before you all go off on your sad stories I too did under grad at university before dollar for dollar and GATE so I am fully aware of the struggles of paying fees then coming out and getting shitty jobs while trying to balance debts.

not sour, just eh dotish
fact of the matter remains, princess have options she herself can pursue to finance her education other than daddy asking for handouts.
If you have kids, don't matter if you make one dotish mule or 50 geniuses, you should project and plan financially for all of their educations. & you can tell a childs potential for academia from young, so you know who has the potential to go very far given they receive encouragement to do so. That way, if the one or some of the 50 don't want to pursue higher learning, the resources are there that and can easily be reallocated to those that need it & have potential. This reeks of a case of daddy failed to plan and prepare, so now bright girl needs money to finish what her father never planned for her to start. If ever he did, she wouldn't be in this predicament now would she?


put aside a minimum of $1K, every month, for each child, starting the month they born it & continue to do so till they are 20 years old. at the end of that time, child has a easy 250K that can go towards school, and that's besides whatever money can be raised by way of student loans, parents parents taking loans, parents sacrificing their savings or vacation funds, mortgaging the family home or whatever else they opt to do to raise funds short of begging for handouts.

User avatar
Blaze d Chalice
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 712
Joined: April 14th, 2019, 11:35 am

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby Blaze d Chalice » October 22nd, 2019, 3:12 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:his field of study is one which can turn him into a millionaire just like that


By chance his lecturer had a zug up head?

User avatar
88sins
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5943
Joined: July 22nd, 2007, 3:03 pm
Location: Corner of Everywhere Avenue & Nowhere Drive

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby 88sins » October 22nd, 2019, 3:20 pm

speedmelter wrote:We Trini people don’t know what is the meaning of sacrifice.

We don’t know what is gratitude.

We don’t know what is charity.

We manipulate the three to benefit ourselves.



just my pov here,
I know a quite a few ppl that literally sacrificed everything they could (and even some things they shouldn't have) for their kids.

Charity to the undeserving is not charity, tis folly. If you think otherwise, go support you local spranger with some charity by giving him a lil $20/day every day. True charity should uplift the spirits and effect a positive change that improves the situation of the receiver of said charity. That only happens with the deserving. Rough example, that's why known alcoholics don't get liver transplants without getting sober first.


Humans manipulate. can't really avoid that entirely without totally isolating yourself from all other humans, and then, who you gonna be charitable to?

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 23773
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 22nd, 2019, 3:29 pm

Blaze d Chalice wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:his field of study is one which can turn him into a millionaire just like that


By chance his lecturer had a zug up head?


nah, they just crazy af, einstein looking mofos

88sins wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:Bunch of sour fcuks in here. The father is not demanding money, he is merely asking on top of the fund raising which he is also doing. You are free not to give.

And before you all go off on your sad stories I too did under grad at university before dollar for dollar and GATE so I am fully aware of the struggles of paying fees then coming out and getting shitty jobs while trying to balance debts.

not sour, just eh dotish
fact of the matter remains, princess have options she herself can pursue to finance her education other than daddy asking for handouts.
If you have kids, don't matter if you make one dotish mule or 50 geniuses, you should project and plan financially for all of their educations. & you can tell a childs potential for academia from young, so you know who has the potential to go very far given they receive encouragement to do so. That way, if the one or some of the 50 don't want to pursue higher learning, the resources are there that and can easily be reallocated to those that need it & have potential. This reeks of a case of daddy failed to plan and prepare, so now bright girl needs money to finish what her father never planned for her to start. If ever he did, she wouldn't be in this predicament now would she?


put aside a minimum of $1K, every month, for each child, starting the month they born it & continue to do so till they are 20 years old. at the end of that time, child has a easy 250K that can go towards school, and that's besides whatever money can be raised by way of student loans, parents parents taking loans, parents sacrificing their savings or vacation funds, mortgaging the family home or whatever else they opt to do to raise funds short of begging for handouts.


how much people in today's generation actually do this?? honestly....when I do have children, I'd do it for sure but not many people today think like people of yesteryear

speedmelter
30 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2507
Joined: October 1st, 2011, 7:15 pm
Location: counting stars..

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby speedmelter » October 22nd, 2019, 4:48 pm

88sins wrote:
speedmelter wrote:We Trini people don’t know what is the meaning of sacrifice.

We don’t know what is gratitude.

We don’t know what is charity.

We manipulate the three to benefit ourselves.



just my pov here,
I know a quite a few ppl that literally sacrificed everything they could (and even some things they shouldn't have) for their kids.

Charity to the undeserving is not charity, tis folly. If you think otherwise, go support you local spranger with some charity by giving him a lil $20/day every day. True charity should uplift the spirits and effect a positive change that improves the situation of the receiver of said charity. That only happens with the deserving. Rough example, that's why known alcoholics don't get liver transplants without getting sober first.


Humans manipulate. can't really avoid that entirely without totally isolating yourself from all other humans, and then, who you gonna be charitable to?


you read me completely wrong,

what i am saying is that us trinis deliberately put ourselves into situations to be given handouts and "charity". It happens alot, this case may very well be a good example. Same thing with offering gratitude, we give appreciation mainly when its in our interest to gain from it in a marketing sense, often when its too late, when the recipient has suffered and died. Sacrifice as well, your sacrifice is your personal commitment, trinis drag all their friends and families into their sacrifices as much as they could.

User avatar
88sins
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5943
Joined: July 22nd, 2007, 3:03 pm
Location: Corner of Everywhere Avenue & Nowhere Drive

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby 88sins » October 22nd, 2019, 10:15 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
88sins wrote:put aside a minimum of $1K, every month, for each child, starting the month they born it & continue to do so till they are 20 years old. at the end of that time, child has a easy 250K that can go towards school, and that's besides whatever money can be raised by way of student loans, parents parents taking loans, parents sacrificing their savings or vacation funds, mortgaging the family home or whatever else they opt to do to raise funds short of begging for handouts.


how much people in today's generation actually do this?? honestly....when I do have children, I'd do it for sure but not many people today think like people of yesteryear

In todays generation? I'd guess hardly any, because it's not something ppl like to think about. The first ting they study is what THEY could do with that money, not ever considering how not doing it affects their kids future and security.
It's the inevitable result of what happens when stupid ppl that never grew and up that have zero financial management skills and are contented to subsist on limited means and start to have children that they literally cannot afford, all because of poor judgement and the desire to buss a nut.

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 733
Joined: June 5th, 2007, 3:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby mitch1980 » October 23rd, 2019, 8:57 am

Some of you understand about financial planning.

for every educational option available there is some level of Fixed cost - Tuition, Boarding etc and the Operational or Variable costs - day to day living.

If the the father had planned out properly he would have seen what he was able to afford or not.
the variance would be external funding via bank loans etc.
these would come with a time period to repay etc.

in this case "take a year off and get a job and work for your own funds to finish degree.

to publicly come out and request money for education is his way of getting attention.

Personally, would much rather help a family requiring medical attention.

speedmelter
30 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2507
Joined: October 1st, 2011, 7:15 pm
Location: counting stars..

Re: Father needs you to pay for U.S. Education

Postby speedmelter » October 23rd, 2019, 9:09 am

mitch1980 wrote:Some of you understand about financial planning.

for every educational option available there is some level of Fixed cost - Tuition, Boarding etc and the Operational or Variable costs - day to day living.

If the the father had planned out properly he would have seen what he was able to afford or not.
the variance would be external funding via bank loans etc.
these would come with a time period to repay etc.

in this case "take a year off and get a job and work for your own funds to finish degree.

to publicly come out and request money for education is his way of getting attention.

Personally, would much rather help a family requiring medical attention.


Correct!!

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: foreignused, redmanjp, SMc, The_Honourable and 81 guests