TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Construction Work Evaluation

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
bassotronics
Chronic TriniTuner
Posts: 588
Joined: November 12th, 2009, 11:37 am
Location: Where the bass drops
Contact:

Construction Work Evaluation

Postby bassotronics » November 10th, 2019, 10:51 am

Good day everyone,
I am currently constructing my house in which I hired an individual to do this. I have already paid this individual to start and complete the work. This individual got a full time job, and requested to work the weekends so i agreed to facilitate this, now he is failing to show up to do the work. Weeks and weeks goes by leading into months and i probably see the guy once or twice within that time where he does little work. i told him I would like to get the job completed before the year finishes and he still does not show up.
I would like some advice how to deal with this and if to take matters legally, also who can evaluate the rest of work to be completed.

Any assistance extended will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
User avatar
maj. tom
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6812
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: watching for Pigs on the Wing.

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby maj. tom » November 10th, 2019, 11:50 am


User avatar
MaxPower
punchin NOS
Posts: 4795
Joined: October 31st, 2010, 2:37 pm

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby MaxPower » November 10th, 2019, 12:05 pm

^ ahhh boi, how could we ever forget Rahtid that STINK scamp using ppl money for lessons for his duncey head child.

User avatar
Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS
Posts: 3522
Joined: July 1st, 2005, 11:11 am
Location: Second star to the right.

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 10th, 2019, 1:01 pm

bassotronics wrote:I have already paid this individual to start and complete the work.


Mistake #1

User avatar
The_Honourable
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5529
Joined: June 14th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Location: Land of Stupidity and Corruption

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby The_Honourable » November 10th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:
bassotronics wrote:I have already paid this individual to start and complete the work.


Mistake #1


The biggest of them all. You have to lawyer up OP.

User avatar
MaxPower
punchin NOS
Posts: 4795
Joined: October 31st, 2010, 2:37 pm

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby MaxPower » November 10th, 2019, 1:10 pm

OP,

I rel sorry bro but its Christmas time and that lazy dishonest Trini you hire you may come to terms after he full he belly for the season.

User avatar
racedriverpro
punchin NOS
Posts: 3254
Joined: September 12th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby racedriverpro » November 10th, 2019, 2:20 pm

MaxPower wrote:OP,

I rel sorry bro but its Christmas time and that lazy dishonest Trini you hire you may come to terms after he full he belly for the season.
Do you speak in any other tone?

User avatar
ras_elmo
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 155
Joined: June 23rd, 2007, 8:43 pm
Location: Lurkin.....as usual
Contact:

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby ras_elmo » November 10th, 2019, 2:47 pm

OP, I hope you at least had some sort of contract or written agreement with the person. It becomes very hard to get your money back or at least its worth in labour without some evidence of the agreement. Get help from a lawyer in writing a demand letter etc. I hope you know where he lives and works so you can find him.

Worst mistake was paying before the work was done.

User avatar
Mr. Tony Stark
Sweet on this forum
Posts: 350
Joined: July 31st, 2013, 4:28 pm

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby Mr. Tony Stark » November 10th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Hunt him down
Beat him to the point where he can barely walk
In about 3 months he will finish the job
Your welcome

User avatar
Blaze d Chalice
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 894
Joined: April 14th, 2019, 11:35 am

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby Blaze d Chalice » November 10th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Everything mentioned in your original post, points to the person being a Trini.

That was your first and biggest mistake.

Based on that, your second mistake was to pay first. - NEVER EVER do this with Trini sufferers unless you have some legally binding document.

You say months pass by and only seeing the pest once or twice.
Lets say "months" is 2 months, and you only seeing the pest twice.
That means that it is only coming to work 25% of the time.
Which leads to mistake number 3 - You "tell him you would like to get the job finished before year end"
You think if you show up to work 25% of the time, your boss would say "Yeah boi bassotron, I would like to get these things done by so and so date" when he sees you on the rare occasion?

The quickest way out of this chitfest, is to count that money gone and learn from your mistakes.

Now that you lose money, your budget is now less and will now be trying to cut corners, by looking to take advantage of Vene workers because they "cheaper" - DON'T do this.
If you do hire Vene worker(s), pay the people properly. Is it not the same scope of work that will be done?
In fact you should pay them an extra something for the Christmas on completion, for getting you out of this hole that the Trini put you in. Most likely he/she/they will finish the job way faster than that first pest, NOT because of working more days, but because they work harder and faster.

Trini pest will mix one bag of cement and then have to take a 5.
1 hour later, put down 20 brick, and have to go for lunch - AT 10 A.M.
Come back from lunch, minutes to 1'oclock, dig one hole for a concrete post, and then "Yeah boss I feel I go leave a lil early today, I wouldn't get transport to go home" by 2:30

If your original worker was actually a Vene, the reason for this is because it would be a Vene that living in Trinidad for so much years, he adopted the stink Trini culture and mentality, so he would still be counted as a Trini.

Hire the true Venes.

User avatar
bassotronics
Chronic TriniTuner
Posts: 588
Joined: November 12th, 2009, 11:37 am
Location: Where the bass drops
Contact:

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby bassotronics » November 10th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Yes, i agree with you all for paying him before the work was completed, that was a huge mistake, I also have a written agreement with him also all the quotes and prices he estimated to me in his writing. All my payments were in form of cheques issued to his name, so the bank also has this record of this. The total money I paid in labour came up to 120K which is alot to lose, so i prefer not let the man breeze through that.

I am planning to get the lawyer to draft a letter which will basically state that he needs to work the weekends as initially agreed otherwise I will take the matter to court, which I will have him sign, and if he refuses to sign, I will take the matter to court. Now in doing so, who can evaluate the rest of work to be done on the structure?

Any other advice will be appreciated.

Btw, it is a trini.....

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11290
Joined: June 25th, 2010, 10:23 pm
Location: Trinituner 24/7

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby rspann » November 10th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Too late for this advice now, but maybe it can help somebody else. Always pay in stages, make arrangements up front at each stage how much is to be paid ( after the work is done not advances) This works well and if at any time the contractor defaults you can easily get someone else and have your money in hand to continue.

User avatar
MaxPower
punchin NOS
Posts: 4795
Joined: October 31st, 2010, 2:37 pm

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby MaxPower » November 11th, 2019, 7:07 am

Blaze d Chalice wrote:Everything mentioned in your original post, points to the person being a Trini.

That was your first and biggest mistake.

Based on that, your second mistake was to pay first. - NEVER EVER do this with Trini sufferers unless you have some legally binding document.

You say months pass by and only seeing the pest once or twice.
Lets say "months" is 2 months, and you only seeing the pest twice.
That means that it is only coming to work 25% of the time.
Which leads to mistake number 3 - You "tell him you would like to get the job finished before year end"
You think if you show up to work 25% of the time, your boss would say "Yeah boi bassotron, I would like to get these things done by so and so date" when he sees you on the rare occasion?

The quickest way out of this chitfest, is to count that money gone and learn from your mistakes.

Now that you lose money, your budget is now less and will now be trying to cut corners, by looking to take advantage of Vene workers because they "cheaper" - DON'T do this.
If you do hire Vene worker(s), pay the people properly. Is it not the same scope of work that will be done?
In fact you should pay them an extra something for the Christmas on completion, for getting you out of this hole that the Trini put you in. Most likely he/she/they will finish the job way faster than that first pest, NOT because of working more days, but because they work harder and faster.

Trini pest will mix one bag of cement and then have to take a 5.
1 hour later, put down 20 brick, and have to go for lunch - AT 10 A.M.
Come back from lunch, minutes to 1'oclock, dig one hole for a concrete post, and then "Yeah boss I feel I go leave a lil early today, I wouldn't get transport to go home" by 2:30

If your original worker was actually a Vene, the reason for this is because it would be a Vene that living in Trinidad for so much years, he adopted the stink Trini culture and mentality, so he would still be counted as a Trini.

Hire the true Venes.



Wow, could not have said it any better.

Blaze, You speak from the heart. I like it

Ben_spanna
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2156
Joined: October 28th, 2016, 9:25 am

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby Ben_spanna » November 11th, 2019, 8:05 am

Dont EVER pay any construction/contractor up front...……. EVER...… in this country ………… unfortunately youre screwed as you dont have any signed contract im sure...…………. legal battle will be a long drawn out process that you may probably never get any thing at the end.

User avatar
hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5021
Joined: February 4th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby hydroep » November 11th, 2019, 8:16 am

I can empathize, sometimes you does trust people to do the right thing and they end up screwing you.

Life lesson yes, take him to court or take it on the chin and move on.

Either way guaranteed yuh never making that mistake again...:|

User avatar
maj. tom
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6812
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: watching for Pigs on the Wing.

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby maj. tom » November 11th, 2019, 8:33 am

Visit a lawyer and issue a pre-action protocol letter. Make sure it is delivered into his hand, or signature upon collection for evidence. You can do this with TTPost Courier and request signature. Keep it for you records.

$120k on home construction is a good amount of money to just let go. I know of a few persons like that. They does come off as genuine and honest at first, and they could string you up with all kind of words. We mostly judge other people by the same honor code standards we set for ourselves. But they stink.

User avatar
Slartibartfast
punchin NOS
Posts: 4593
Joined: May 15th, 2012, 4:24 pm
Location: Magrathea

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby Slartibartfast » November 11th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:Dont EVER pay any construction/contractor up front...……. EVER...… in this country ………… unfortunately youre screwed as you dont have any signed contract im sure...…………. legal battle will be a long drawn out process that you may probably never get any thing at the end.

If the contractor hit you a sad story about how something happen and he had the money set aside for it but he just need a lil advance to get it done, know that he is what is known as financially unqualified.

A qualified contractor should have the skills and enough liquidity to carry out the works without the given cash drawdown for the project. That means the contractor is supposed to have enough cash flow to carry on the works even when there are issues with payment. This is done so payment issues don't exacerbate construction issues by the stopping and re-starting of construction works. An experienced contractor will know how to manage his cashflow. If he is at risk of going bust on a small time construction project like a piece of a house, don't waste your time. He is biting off more than he can chew and making you take the risk for it.

Oh and if he got a full time job and not working for you, then he is not working for you anymore. The contract should be terminated so your time isn't wasted waiting on him to squeeze you in. Professional contractors will schedule your works, not try to "fit it in when dey get a chance".

User avatar
De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12328
Joined: January 27th, 2004, 3:49 am
Location: Enjoying my little miracles............

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby De Dragon » November 11th, 2019, 5:40 pm

racedriverpro wrote:
MaxPower wrote:OP,

I rel sorry bro but its Christmas time and that lazy dishonest Trini you hire you may come to terms after he full he belly for the season.
Do you speak in any other tone?

Nah,Max Cax is a one trick tunts.

QM
Street 2NR
Posts: 97
Joined: December 26th, 2005, 3:51 pm

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby QM » November 14th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Time for a lawyer, hope you paid with a cheque or got a receipt for the payment.

RedVEVO
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6033
Joined: March 8th, 2017, 1:05 am

Re: Construction Work Evaluation

Postby RedVEVO » November 17th, 2019, 8:33 am

^^

120 K ? Wow !!

Lawyer is good but this is an individual .

He will make himself " a man of straw " and then you will not collect any money .

Lawyers fees are high and courts are slow.

Looks for his assets and call Edward Soon .

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: daring dragoon, spoil_kid123 and 160 guests