Forums

Meguires vs Mothers vs Turtle Ceramic spray on

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ben_spanna
Shifting into 6th

Meguires vs Mothers vs Turtle Ceramic spray on

Postby Ben_spanna » November 20th, 2019, 8:10 am

Just wanted to get a feel for your opinions before I buy one. (meguires Ceramic Hybrid, Mothers CMX, Turtle ICe seal and shine)
Have been looking at various videos on all products listed above , all seem to have typical water beading effectiveness but Turtle Was Ice seal and shine seems to have the best resistance to being washed off by chemicals.
Anyone has any first hand experience with these spray on protectants?

Advertisement
pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Meguires vs Mothers vs Turtle Ceramic spray on

Postby pugboy » November 20th, 2019, 8:19 am

Interested to know how long they last
I want one simply for ease of washing

None of the detailers willing to do my pickup as they only interested in starting with a new finish

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 20th, 2019, 8:52 am

Seal and shine is not a direct comparison as it isn't ceramic infused. Their new hybrid solutions would be a better comparison to the other 2. That said, it's very good.

Meguiars is easy to apply and goes on all surfaces. It is the least shiny.
CMX also a bit harder to remove and leaves a white residue of you accidentally spray it anywhere. CMX is paint only which is now kinda stupid as all other manufacturers products are all surface including glass.

All of them gives 2 to 3 months Max in our climate. Its not gone but their effect is severely reduced after that time.

I have used all and seal and shine lasted longest but all needed to reapply after that time. I have CMX on a car for about a month and already seeing deterioration.

This is expected with this level of product so do not expect miracles.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » November 20th, 2019, 9:01 am

I was in this same dilemma and went with Lucas instead. Reviews seem to be good so have to try now and see. Lucas seemed to be more compromising on the use than the others.

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pugboy » November 20th, 2019, 10:25 am

Where sells the turtle ice?

aaron17
Riding on 18's

Postby aaron17 » November 20th, 2019, 10:34 am

pugboy wrote:Where sells the turtle ice?
This

aaron17
Riding on 18's

Postby aaron17 » November 20th, 2019, 10:35 am

Is it better than autoglym extra gloss protection in terms of ease of use and longevity?

sotf
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sotf » November 20th, 2019, 4:54 pm

aaron17 wrote:
This

I believe Laughlin & De Gannes sells the Turtle line of products.

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pugboy » November 20th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Will check them,
I not looking for car show shine, just ease of washing

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 20th, 2019, 5:05 pm

aaron17 wrote:
This

I think Auto Image in Valpark sells it. I skyboxed mine at the time.

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pugboy » January 19th, 2020, 9:05 pm

turtle ice wax on over 6 weeks, washed vehicle yesterday and muck came off real easy and still have waxed finish.
will prob do reapplication soon.

well worth the $125, no more paste wax for me.

kamakazi
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kamakazi » January 19th, 2020, 9:44 pm

I have only used CMX and I usually use it when I don't have a lot of time to do anything else. I apply it when I'm drying the vehicle. Durability is on the low side but it kinda depends on the exposure of the panel; quickest breakdown can be observed on the hood, roof and lower half of the doors and rear fenders during rainy season...a bit tougher to observe in the dry season.

The white residue can be observed if sprayed directly onto a dry surface, I normally spray onto the panel when it is wet, or onto microfiber towel

Haven't seen the turtle wax version locally yet, but I've seen the other two. I am also not a professional detailer by any means.

Forgot to mention, CMX smells like straight up chemicals, nothing added to make it smell better.
Last edited by kamakazi on January 19th, 2020, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pugboy » January 19th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Turtle wax available many places,it does not have any “ceramic” in the marketing like the others

kamakazi
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kamakazi » January 19th, 2020, 10:46 pm

pugboy wrote:Turtle wax available many places,it does not have any “ceramic” in the marketing like the others

https://www.turtlewax.com/our-products/ ... x-coating/

The above linked product is what i haven't seen locally (and what i was referring to)...and it does have ceramic in the marketing and in the formula :wink:

16 cycles
punchin NOS

Postby 16 cycles » January 20th, 2020, 8:52 am

pugboy wrote:Will check them,

Meguair's x-press wax

got it at lubetech - very easy to use...can apply in hot sun as well...

kamakazi
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kamakazi » January 21st, 2020, 4:05 pm

What size does this come in
16 cycles wrote:
pugboy wrote:Will check them,

Meguair's x-press wax

got it at lubetech - very easy to use...can apply in hot sun as well...

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » January 25th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Finally got around to using my Lucas Speed wax. I used meguires paste wax on the bonnet, hood and trunk. Lucas spray wax everywhere else. Not bad and did leave a slick finish. Car need a proper cleaner but not too bad for a very quick and easy job.
IMG-20200125-WA0010.jpeg
IMG-20200125-WA0009.jpeg
IMG-20200125-WA0008.jpeg
IMG-20200125-WA0007.jpeg

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pugboy » January 26th, 2020, 11:45 am

boy I just used a hose and handwashed quickly , all dirt came off effortlessly.
Literally washed pickup in 5 mins, piper style

carluva
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carluva » January 26th, 2020, 11:51 am

Does this ease of cleaning with those spray on an wipe off waxes work well on a car that's just washed only? Or is the ease of washing with the spray on wax applied the previous time assume that the car was properly clay bar'd, compounded (if required), polished and waxed before subsequent applications of the spray on wax?

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pugboy » January 26th, 2020, 12:11 pm

I dont think you need to have a regular wax on before using a spray wax, just good wash.

It probably would work on a non-clayed car but at least try and make sure it is quite clean.

I used the rubber clay mitt which I found did a real good job of removing surface contaminants
almost like a mild buffing with no messy cleanup.

carluva wrote:Does this ease of cleaning with those spray on an wipe off waxes work well on a car that's just washed only? Or is the ease of washing with the spray on wax applied the previous time assume that the car was properly clay bar'd, compounded (if required), polished and waxed before subsequent applications of the spray on wax?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » January 26th, 2020, 12:36 pm

The spray waxes pushes the tag that it gives the shine in between waxes and eases with washing and stains when it is used. I am new to this spray wax. Will see how it works as time goes along.

aaron17
Riding on 18's

Postby aaron17 » January 26th, 2020, 1:09 pm

There are those that can be used when the car is wet as a drying aid and others that need to be completely dry to apply.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » January 26th, 2020, 1:45 pm

pugboy wrote:I dont think you need to have a regular wax on before using a spray wax, just good wash.

It probably would work on a non-clayed car but at least try and make sure it is quite clean.

I used the rubber clay mitt which I found did a real good job of removing surface contaminants

Where yuh get the clay mitt?

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pugboy » January 26th, 2020, 2:38 pm

amazon, they are load of them, cost around $20

does wonders for a vehicle

NR8 wrote:
pugboy wrote:I dont think you need to have a regular wax on before using a spray wax, just good wash.

Where yuh get the clay mitt?

carluva
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carluva » January 26th, 2020, 3:18 pm

I have used the spray wax several times but to me, I have never seen the ease of washing results that you all referring to. I know that the spray wax is to give a protective and sacrificial layer between polish and machine waxing intervals but that ease of washing, nah! never seen that so noticeably.

Which one do you recommend to give that ease of washing results?

kamakazi
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kamakazi » January 26th, 2020, 4:30 pm

What did you use as the lubricant when using your clay mitt.

I take it the turtle wax ceramic hasn't reached here as yet. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Spray waxes don't really last that long... Yes it can make washing easier but not in the areas that take the most licks.

Just as an FYI... There is another thread an vehicle polishing, detailing etc.

RedVEVO
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby RedVEVO » January 27th, 2020, 2:33 am

Mothers is BESS ..

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » January 31st, 2020, 12:16 am

In my opinion spray sealants are designed to be a quick, easy and affordable way to maintain your vehicle's exterior. The main drawback of using a spray sealant is its longevity. They were not designed to last years, but was aimed to be cost-effective and repetitively used "in-between" your proper detail jobs.

The longevity of a spray sealant depends on several different factors. The most important, in my opinion, is the condition of your paint. If the surface is heavily contaminated, don't expect the product to last, as it may not adhere directly to the intended surface. While on the other hand, when applied to a decontaminated surface, the product will bond well and consequently last longer.

Ideally, I would recommend having the vehicle decontaminated, and a long term sealant applied to the surface with frequent, scheduled use of spray sealants for long term beauty and protection of your exterior.

When choosing a spray sealant, I recommend the following :

1. Can be used on all surfaces. Nothing is more annoying than a product that stains or cannot be applied to non-painted surfaces.

2. Ease of availability. The worst thing is to find a product that you like, and you cannot get it anymore, or it is difficult to find.

3. Ease of use. Not all products were designed with our climate in mind. Have you ever used a product and it was a real pain in the @rse to use while others worked like a gem. Yup, this is a fact. Some manufacturers, sometimes rush to get their product to market and overlook the varied climates and end up in having problems.

4. Cost. These products where made to be frequently used, so choose something that is within your budget.

When it comes to spray sealants, I am from the old school, and I love the look of a carnauba based spray sealant.

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pugboy » January 31st, 2020, 5:31 am

the borse reach

abducted
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby abducted » January 31st, 2020, 5:18 pm

Karim Khan wrote:In my opinion spray sealants are designed to be a quick, easy and affordable way to maintain your vehicle's exterior. The main drawback of using a spray sealant is its longevity. They were not designed to last years, but was aimed to be cost-effective and repetitively used "in-between" your proper detail jobs.

The longevity of a spray sealant depends on several different factors. The most important, in my opinion, is the condition of your paint. If the surface is heavily contaminated, don't expect the product to last, as it may not adhere directly to the intended surface. While on the other hand, when applied to a decontaminated surface, the product will bond well and consequently last longer.

Ideally, I would recommend having the vehicle decontaminated, and a long term sealant applied to the surface with frequent, scheduled use of spray sealants for long term beauty and protection of your exterior.

When choosing a spray sealant, I recommend the following :

1. Can be used on all surfaces. Nothing is more annoying than a product that stains or cannot be applied to non-painted surfaces.

2. Ease of availability. The worst thing is to find a product that you like, and you cannot get it anymore, or it is difficult to find.

3. Ease of use. Not all products were designed with our climate in mind. Have you ever used a product and it was a real pain in the @rse to use while others worked like a gem. Yup, this is a fact. Some manufacturers, sometimes rush to get their product to market and overlook the varied climates and end up in having problems.

4. Cost. These products where made to be frequently used, so choose something that is within your budget.

When it comes to spray sealants, I am from the old school, and I love the look of a carnauba based spray sealant.

Which ones have carnauba wax? Where does the ceramic come in?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”