Forums

High sulphur diesel endangering luxury vehicles

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Re: High sulphur diesel endangering luxury vehicles

Postby carluva » January 22nd, 2020, 10:05 pm

kamakazi wrote:I inform people that if they don't have a mechanical bone in their body change their mind from owning a diesel powered vehicle/s.

It requires more consistent care and attention.

I usually put additives in my fuel every other fill-up; power service diesel kleen(current) and penray diesel fuel conditioner, cause I believe the fuel sold locally is deficient in a couple of areas... Not just sulphur.

Forgot to mention... Synthetic oils and those suited for more stringent emissions standards tend to have lower TBN (total base number) which reduces its ability to neutralize acids. This combined with longer oil drain intervals that manufacturers are pushing, and greater volumes of acid as result of burning high sulphur diesel are compounding the problem
Excellent point regarding TBN of oils. But thant's especially important for engine protection due to acids developed thru burning fuels particularly fuels with high sulphur. But a high TBN oil is of no relevance for fuel system and injection as that's a separate part of the engine. In other words, poor diesel can wreak havoc on a fuel system, high TBN oil or not.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 22nd, 2020, 10:29 pm

the 5W40 synthetic oils that most new diesel engines require are formulated for ultra low sulfur diesel, and typically have lower TBN levels. Higer TBN oils have higher sulfated ash and aren't good for emissions systems, so you can't even use higher TBN oils...the only thing you can do is change your oil at 5k
Re fuel....sigh....Diesel Kleen etc helps but nothing can save us from fine particle contamination

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 22nd, 2020, 11:12 pm

does this new diesel fuel have d same effect on older diesel engines from say 10-15yrs ago models ?

i wondering if it will affect my L300 .....

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 22nd, 2020, 11:22 pm

Rovin wrote:does this new diesel fuel have d same effect on older diesel engines from say 10-15yrs ago models ?

Scroll through page 1...when you see it, come back and cuss meh :lol:

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 22nd, 2020, 11:27 pm

nah nah doh put dat kinda goat mouth nuh

L300 is work donkey that no weight does stop , it going like d energizer bunny ....
Last edited by Rovin on January 23rd, 2020, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » January 22nd, 2020, 11:58 pm

Rovin wrote:nah nah doh put dat kinda goat mouth nuh

L300 is work donkey that no weight does stop , it going like d duracel bunny ....

energizer bunny

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 23rd, 2020, 12:16 am

wow i cyar believe i typed dat ...... :oops: ............ :lol:

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » January 23rd, 2020, 4:35 am

Rovin wrote:wow i cyar believe i typed dat ...... :oops: ............ :lol:

duracel had the pink bunny first, energizer bunny is a copy of the duracel bunny.

When the Duracell Bunny debuted in North America in 1973, it was slated to be just a one-shot character in the "Drumming Bunny" advertisement. Duracell purportedly trademarked their bunny, but by 1988, that trademark had lapsed.[3] Sensing an opportunity, Duracell's North American rival Energizer created a parody of the "Drumming Bunny" in 1988. Energizer's parody ad began much as Duracell's original 1973 ad did, except that midway through the discussion of which drumming rabbit would last longest, it was interrupted by the Energizer Bunny, a different pink rabbit wearing sunglasses, flip-flops, and beating a bass drum.[4] Energizer created a multi-year campaign around the Energizer Bunny. While the campaign was regarded as entertaining advertising, the Energizer Bunny was initially often confused for the Duracell Bunny in stores, and between 1988 and 1991, Energizer's market share actually shrank in comparison to Duracell's.[5] Energizer subsequently tuned their advertising campaign, packaging, and in-store displays, successfully growing its market share compared to Duracell in the 1990s. There are significant differences in appearance between the two companies' mascots — the Energizer Bunny wears sunglasses, has larger ears, is a different shade of pink, and has a different body shape. Also, while the Energizer Bunny is a single rabbit, the Duracell Bunnies are a species. The Duracell Bunny advertising campaign has evolved, and Duracell Bunnies are usually depicted as doing something other than beating a drum as they did in the original 1973 advertisement.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 23rd, 2020, 10:40 am

well well by fluke it turns out i was fortunately right either way , dise b4 my time but i learn something new today

man how u come across such info ? , either u rel ole or u stumbled across this info for whatever reason researching d battery bunny ...

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 23rd, 2020, 10:56 am

Rovin wrote:well well by fluke it turns out i was fortunately right either way , dise b4 my time but i learn something new today

man how u come across such info ? , either u rel ole or u stumbled across this info for whatever reason researching d battery bunny ...

some of us old enough to remember the original Duracell bunny ad and the subsequent Energizer bass-drum bunny ad :lol:

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 23rd, 2020, 10:59 am

Rovin wrote:does this new diesel fuel have d same effect on older diesel engines from say 10-15yrs ago models ?

high-pressure diesel fuel systems are most susceptible to crappy fuel (pumps, injectors take more jammin and get more vex when you feed them sulphur and sediments)
Added to that some newer engines, particularly euro diesels have a cylinder wall coating that gets eroded, leading to a loss of compression

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » January 23rd, 2020, 12:07 pm

Plenty people who imported euro diesels via roro learned that the hard way

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » January 23rd, 2020, 1:49 pm

Strange thing though... Nobody is complaining about sulphur causing their injectors to fail... Quite the opposite, the lack of sulphur (ulsd diesel) is causing injector failure in regions where they have it. So it's down to contamination and inadequate cetane

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 23rd, 2020, 1:58 pm

kamakazi wrote:Strange thing though... Nobody is complaining about sulphur causing their injectors to fail... Quite the opposite, the lack of sulphur (ulsd diesel) is causing injector failure in regions where they have it. So it's down to contamination and inadequate cetane

sulphur is only one issue with our deezl...particulate is another problem, which is what kills high pressure pumps and injectors

eliteauto wrote:Plenty people who imported euro diesels via roro learned that the hard way

correct
Highend euro deezl cars cheap, but they are doomed here...anything with piezo injectors will have dribbling problems
Anything from BMW will have cylinder wall coating issues
I know mine is a ticking time bomb but I knew that when I bought it...when it finally dies, I'll drop in a petrol engine

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 23rd, 2020, 5:43 pm

With the increase in the price of diesel fuel and the higher cost of maintaining diesel engines do not see the advantage of diesel over petrol vehicles

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » January 23rd, 2020, 6:05 pm

PariaMan wrote:With the increase in the price of diesel fuel and the higher cost of maintaining diesel engines do not see the advantage of diesel over petrol vehicles

especially when the interior of them vans small just like most cars and van tyres more expensive too. so unless u have a garden planting somewhere where it have dirt tracks buying a van is pointless.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 23rd, 2020, 6:18 pm

yup, plus diesel oil change interval is much shorter than gasoline engine

hilux is pretty much a fully sized interior front and back
not sure about np300 but prior nissans are much tighter

screwbash wrote:
PariaMan wrote:With the increase in the price of diesel fuel and the higher cost of maintaining diesel engines do not see the advantage of diesel over petrol vehicles

especially when the interior of them vans small just like most cars and van tyres more expensive too. so unless u have a garden planting somewhere where it have dirt tracks buying a van is pointless.

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » January 23rd, 2020, 6:28 pm

screwbash wrote:

Agreed, 100%. Not only maintenance, but repairs as well..when a set of injectors and high pressure injector pump for a common rail diesel engine can cost more than a whole engine replacement for some gas counterparts, one really starts second guessing owning a diesel vehicle.

With our terrible roads and frequent floods though, I love a pickup or an SUV. Unfortunately there aren't many gas powerplants available for pickups available at our local dealerships, unless via special order, I guess. So outside of that, gasoline powered SUVs for it..

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » January 23rd, 2020, 6:53 pm

Yeah, but Rajments are very small with a car.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 23rd, 2020, 6:54 pm

yeah hilux esp with the spaceship fittings is like kwame drop low wetman

rspann wrote:Yeah, but Rajments are very small with a car.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » January 23rd, 2020, 7:10 pm

These vehicles are what defines Raj and Kwame.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » January 23rd, 2020, 11:53 pm

Same vehicle with the only difference being the engine(diesel and gas), maintenance costs are about equal. Replacing non maintenance components is where it starts to deviate in a big way.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 24th, 2020, 6:19 am

Spoke to a sales rep from the Chrylser company a few days ago...he actually said that some Jeep models are built to withstand the sheity diesel in Caribbean countries....shrugs shoulders

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » January 24th, 2020, 6:57 am

kamakazi wrote:Same vehicle with the only difference being the engine(diesel and gas), maintenance costs are about equal. Replacing non maintenance components is where it starts to deviate in a big way.

This is not entirely true. I know people may have different definitions of maintenance, but here's an example. There are two Tucsons in my family, both with 2.0L engines, but one gas, one diesel. The diesel takes almost twice as much oil than the gas version. The fuel filter on the diesel is also changed every service or every other service, something that isn't done as regularly on the gas version. These factors will increase the maintenance cost.

I know the thread has been derailed because Tucsons, Hiluxes, etc. aren't luxury vehicles, but the advantage diesel once held in Trinidad is lost except for heavier commercial vehicles.

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » January 24th, 2020, 11:13 am

rspann wrote:These vehicles are what defines Raj and Kwame.

Raj does have speaker boxes facing outside with crix pan bass
Kwame does drive drop low, extra dark tint, big crims with HID 10000k
Ali like big van with spaceship fittings, wide tyres, big cables for towing and taking pictures of the mud on the van after every off road trip to impress Farah

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » January 24th, 2020, 11:18 am

ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:

Ali like big van with spaceship fittings, wide tyres, big cables for towing and taking pictures of the mud on the van after every off road trip to impress Farah

Oaaarrr. I hear height is inversely proportional to length , dais true?

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » January 24th, 2020, 3:25 pm

rspann wrote:
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:

Oaaarrr. I hear height is inversely proportional to length , dais true?

Yes its true
Raj - average height so average length
Kwame - low height so greater length
Ali - extreme height so length is measured in micro metres

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 24th, 2020, 3:32 pm

Wah kinda booolerman thing is this

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » January 24th, 2020, 3:56 pm

So did some research and it is more vehicle specific than I thought.
In regards to the hilux; the difference is 1.5 litres more oil and no sparkplugs for the diesel (depending on the oil you buy that could be as low as $50 or more than $200)

BMW like for like, Oil capacity is the same for the 2.0l engines (in gas and diesel)

Mercedes requires a Little less oil in their diesel than the petrol version... If the internet is to be believed (10000km longer change internal as well but that will take a hit with our diesel being burnt).

The Korean twins... Yeah oil capacity for diesel is approaching 2x (5l for gas versus 8l for the diesel)

So it depends.

Joshie23 wrote:
kamakazi wrote:Same vehicle with the only difference being the engine(diesel and gas), maintenance costs are about equal. Replacing non maintenance components is where it starts to deviate in a big way.

This is not entirely true. I know people may have different definitions of maintenance, but here's an example. There are two Tucsons in my family, both with 2.0L engines, but one gas, one diesel. The diesel takes almost twice as much oil than the gas version. The fuel filter on the diesel is also changed every service or every other service, something that isn't done as regularly on the gas version. These factors will increase the maintenance cost.

I know the thread has been derailed because Tucsons, Hiluxes, etc. aren't luxury vehicles, but the advantage diesel once held in Trinidad is lost except for heavier commercial vehicles.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 24th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Problem is not so must the cost of regular maintenance but when things do go wrong it is much more expensive

A used engine for a hilux is 25000 dollars and of all the pickups this maybe the cheapest

Turbos run into the thousands of dollars some where around 5000 is what I hear

One injector is also a few thousand dollars

Also there are a lot more components that needs to be lubricated by oil

Rear diff
Front diff
Transfer case
Gearbox
Power steering
Brake fluid
Engine oil

Also my hilux have 7 points to be greased in the drive train
kamakazi wrote:So did some research and it is more vehicle specific than I thought.
In regards to the hilux; the difference is 1.5 litres more oil and no sparkplugs for the diesel (depending on the oil you buy that could be as low as $50 or more than $200)

BMW like for like, Oil capacity is the same for the 2.0l engines (in gas and diesel)

Mercedes requires a Little less oil in their diesel than the petrol version... If the internet is to be believed (10000km longer change internal as well but that will take a hit with our diesel being burnt).

The Korean twins... Yeah oil capacity for diesel is approaching 2x (5l for gas versus 8l for the diesel)

So it depends.

Joshie23 wrote:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”