Forums

absent from work

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: absent from work

Postby redmanjp » December 30th, 2019, 12:20 pm

fokhan_96 wrote:You are the type of employee that says home as soon as you get a lil sneeze or cough. Typical lazy trini. Once you take proper precautions and maintain your personal hygiene you would not "spread" anything.

usually i'd agree but this flu season d virus real nasty- i had fever from d flu for a couple days some weeks ago and was weak af- would be no good at work and only spread it especially as it have no soap in d bathroom. d only thing to do is to rest and recover.

as for last week i take 3 days off- family/siblings from US was down and liming so wasn't going to miss it :D

back at work today tho

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » December 30th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Not for anyone here, but I will never understand why people BOAST about not taking vacation days/casual days for the year. This is not a boast. Is either you dont have a life or you dont care about your life. Also some peoples lives are their work, which is unfortunate.

Also taking work calls after hours and weekends. Not a single boss sees this as that you're dedicated; in actuality once a boss realizes he could do this he will, its advantage & will never form a part of a work appraisal.

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » December 30th, 2019, 2:26 pm

The issue is not taking sicks days or vacation it is taking it to your convenience.
I find it strange that some people get sick for 14 days only each and every year. Also they get sick only on Mondays and fridays or the days before or after a holiday. The thing is as an employee you wouldn't understand. But when people do these things they put more pressure on the other staff that actually turn up for work. It means that the remaining staff have to work harder or put in extra hours because someone decided they not "feeling " to go to work. It's just poor work ethic by many trinis. The same ones that would reach late for work and their excuse is that it had traffic. I does wonder if i does pass in some special road that doesn't have traffic to reach one time.
But anyways, to each his own. You do your thing I'll do mine.
goalpost wrote:Not for anyone here, but I will never understand why people BOAST about not taking vacation days/casual days for the year. This is not a boast. Is either you dont have a life or you dont care about your life. Also some peoples lives are their work, which is unfortunate.

Also taking work calls after hours and weekends. Not a single boss sees this as that you're dedicated; in actuality once a boss realizes he could do this he will, its advantage & will never form a part of a work appraisal.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 30th, 2019, 2:32 pm

goalpost wrote:Not for anyone here, but I will never understand why people BOAST about not taking vacation days/casual days for the year. This is not a boast. Is either you dont have a life or you dont care about your life. Also some peoples lives are their work, which is unfortunate.

your vacation is yours to take as you wish. Some ppl only get 2 weeks v/l, so they like to accrue it for a couple years to have some extra inside. nothing wrong with that. As long as you don't exceed what is yours or expect more than your due. Some ppl like to think of sick leave as extra vacation leave, and it ain't. these are the ones that will go to HR, and demand to know how much sick leave they have unused, & want to dead when HR refuse to tell them. You know who they are, the long weekend makers.

As to that taking work calls after hours, I don't encourage that at all. As far as I concerned, once our agreement is that I perform set tasks for 8 hrs/day Monday to Friday, I owe you nothing after I leave for the day or before I report for duty. So don't expect me to answer the phone after hours and IF I do is only to tell you to don't call back & whatever it is can wait till the next working day, and if it can't and you want it done immediately, either you do it yourself or expect to be disappointed. Unless somebody is literally dying or in extreme physical suffering , do not interrupt my personal time or space. cuz yuh will get cuss, no maybe about it, & I does cuss like a drunk sailor. call after hours at your own risk.
I do not entertain last minute requests that I do more than I'm paid to do either. If you ask me at least 8 hrs in advance, (ideally as I reach in the morning, & no more than once a month) I might be more likely to try to assist you. Keywords there being ask, in advance, and assist.

There's these things called boundaries and reasonable limitations, some ppl need to learn them, either on their own or by being directly shown where and what they are.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » December 30th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Imagine men bashing you for not using up all your leave :? You get vacation for a reason, make it count, or get a job with more Vacation days. I worked Christmas Eve and Christmas, and I have to work New Years as well.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » December 30th, 2019, 11:01 pm

I dont like this calling after work hours either. The bosses get an on call allowance, let them handle it :roll:

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » December 31st, 2019, 7:08 am

Gem_in_i wrote:I dont like this calling after work hours either. The bosses get an on call allowance, let them handle it :roll:

Getting called after hours depend on the company you work and job spec...it happens to me and my boss doh play with giving me back my time...no hard feelings..

I going on 7 years without taking sick leave...I did shift changes though....sick leave is for when you dying or close to dead...I took my vl for a medical issue....contrary to what 95% of trinidad believe, because you entitled to 14 days sick for the year, doesnt mean you have to take it....imo, ur a pu$$%

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 31st, 2019, 7:46 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
Gem_in_i wrote:I dont like this calling after work hours either. The bosses get an on call allowance, let them handle it :roll:

Getting called after hours depend on the company you work and job spec...it happens to me and my boss doh play with giving me back my time...no hard feelings..

I going on 7 years without taking sick leave...I did shift changes though....sick leave is for when you dying or close to dead...I took my vl for a medical issue....contrary to what 95% of trinidad believe, because you entitled to 14 days sick for the year, doesnt mean you have to take it....imo, ur a pu$$%
Hoss well done

Sometimes you don't have to be physically sick.

Dealing with idiots and PNM ppl at work is enough to take a day or two.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 31st, 2019, 9:02 am

I have no issue working on weekends if it means getting compensatory days in the week (our policy allows for it). Typically weekends its 1/2 or less traffic, meals are provided and you put in 1/2 day work to get a full day off. I would welcome a Saturday once a month if it means a day off during the week.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » December 31st, 2019, 9:08 am

I usually put down myself to work on weekends and public holidays....days off are guaranteed

frydry
Ricer

Postby frydry » December 31st, 2019, 9:09 am

Dizzy28 wrote:I have no issue working on weekends if it means getting compensatory days in the week (our policy allows for it). Typically weekends its 1/2 or less traffic, meals are provided and you put in 1/2 day work to get a full day off. I would welcome a Saturday once a month if it means a day off during the week.

I definitely agree with that. Wish my company had that policy in place

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 31st, 2019, 9:35 am

Dizzy28 wrote:I have no issue working on weekends if it means getting compensatory days in the week (our policy allows for it). Typically weekends its 1/2 or less traffic, meals are provided and you put in 1/2 day work to get a full day off. I would welcome a Saturday once a month if it means a day off during the week.

that's flexed time, & it's normal practice globally

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 31st, 2019, 9:50 am

88sins wrote:

that's flexed time, & it's normal practice globally

But its not structured. It only ever happens once in a while based on some emergency/exigency.

I wish it was structured.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » December 31st, 2019, 9:59 am

Working on weekends is a normal structured thing in the medical fields. It depends on the need for service on weekends.
Eg. Airports have that organization because the never close. Malls have Saturday hours for most businesses located there because that's the busiest day. Lots of banks in Canada are now open on Saturdays and employees get their 2nd "weekend" day off on a flexible schedule.

If there's no need to work on weekends, a company will not restructure its schedule.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » December 31st, 2019, 11:55 am

all we do make phonecalls, host/join online meetings, and work on slide decks or reports.
literally no need for me to come into the office, period.... I and my staff can do all our work from home.

but our wise and wonderful company requires us to be in at a specific time, have phones on our desks even though we have company phones, dress a certain way, and leave at a certain time, because employees need to be seen, not heard.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 31st, 2019, 11:59 am

FrankChag wrote:all we do make phonecalls, host/join online meetings, and work on slide decks or reports.
literally no need for me to come into the office, period.... I and my staff can do all our work from home.

but our wise and wonderful company requires us to be in at a specific time, have phones on our desks even though we have company phones, dress a certain way, and leave at a certain time, because employees need to be seen, not heard.

Glad this is not a prime consideration for where I work. Been wearing Jeans the past week almost daily.
And ties are not mandatory thankfully.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » December 31st, 2019, 1:10 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
FrankChag wrote:all we do make phonecalls, host/join online meetings, and work on slide decks or reports.

Glad this is not a prime consideration for where I work. Been wearing Jeans the past week almost daily.
And ties are not mandatory thankfully.

Ahh boy, you made me remember the good old days when jeans an tee shirts were accepted wear on the Estate. :lol:

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » December 31st, 2019, 1:26 pm

was going to ride out by 2, boss say ah need to stay till 3:30

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » January 2nd, 2020, 7:36 pm

What is the opinion with a workplace whatsapp group? I'm not talking about ole talk. But specifically to discuss work.

How does one leave such a group?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 2nd, 2020, 7:52 pm

goalpost wrote:What is the opinion with a workplace whatsapp group? I'm not talking about ole talk. But specifically to discuss work.

Never engage in work place social media, especially with women in the group.

Don't ever resound on any work place social media, it will come back to you and used against you.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » January 2nd, 2020, 7:57 pm

goalpost wrote:What is the opinion with a workplace whatsapp group? I'm not talking about ole talk. But specifically to discuss work.

mute the group and its notifications for a year

only read the postings once in a while and do not engage, anything you type in such a group can and will come back to bite you, with or without one's supervisors or managers in the group

also expect that offshoot, branching and 'secret' groups will be formed both with and without you over the years

dont type anything in the groups

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 2nd, 2020, 7:59 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:

mute the group and its notifications for a year

only read the postings once in a while and do not engage, anything you type in such a group can and will come back to bite you, with or without one's supervisors or managers in the group

also expect that offshoot, branching and 'secret' groups will be formed both with and without you over the years

dont type anything in the groups
This is correct

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » January 2nd, 2020, 8:04 pm

also side note, never exit a work whatsapp group because that will cause all kinda bacchanal

men does kekeke and start commess just as much as anything else

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » January 2nd, 2020, 9:42 pm

Is this an official company WhatsApp group solely for work matters or one in which employee voluntarily join and is only for old talk?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 2nd, 2020, 9:52 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:

Our company policy is that anyone on shift who calls in sick has to call me and inform me so that I can make arrangements for coverage. I have a company issued, fully paid, data to the max device solely for this purpose. My line of work is different from a lot of you I guess, so this "X time I supposed to finish, I'm off" cannot always work for me. Imagine me telling my boss, "well I know part of the facility is on fire, but its 7am so I'm off" :lol:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”