Forums

UTT Masters Engineering

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chris00007
Street 2NR

UTT Masters Engineering

Postby Chris00007 » March 25th, 2020, 8:18 pm

So I know that everyone says that a BASc from UTT isn't considered a real degree (which I disagree with) and everyone prefers the BSc from UWI. But what I was thinking, if I do the BASc from UTT and then continue to do the M.Eng at UTT, would that be equivalent to a M.Eng as offered in UWI as well?

Is doing a M.Eng at UTT equivalent to "levelling the playing field" for both UTT and UWI graduates?

Master degree holders and UTT graduates, please assist me with understanding this logic. Thanks

Advertisement
ScHoolboySoloQ
Street 2NR

Re: UTT Masters Engineering

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » March 25th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Chris00007 wrote:So I know that everyone says that a BASc from UTT isn't considered a real degree (which I disagree with) and everyone prefers the BSc from UWI. But what I was thinking, if I do the BASc from UTT and then continue to do the M.Eng at UTT, would that be equivalent to a M.Eng as offered in UWI as well?

Is doing a M.Eng at UTT equivalent to "levelling the playing field" for both UTT and UWI graduates?

Master degree holders and UTT graduates, please assist me with understanding this logic. Thanks

UWI is always the safer option but I heard UTT is much more practical and prepares you for fieldwork.

Gladiator
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gladiator » March 25th, 2020, 8:50 pm

UTT in shambles right now... you should stay away, You might register and they might close down halfway through the program

Chris00007
Street 2NR

Postby Chris00007 » March 25th, 2020, 9:00 pm

ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:
Chris00007 wrote:So I know that everyone says that a BASc from UTT isn't considered a real degree (which I disagree with) and everyone prefers the BSc from UWI. But what I was thinking, if I do the BASc from UTT and then continue to do the M.Eng at UTT, would that be equivalent to a M.Eng as offered in UWI as well?

UWI is always the safer option but I heard UTT is much more practical and prepares you for fieldwork.

I'm from South so heading up UWI everyday is a serious struggle. UTT san'do 10 mins away so that's why I was thinking of that. But I know there's the South campus of UWI opening soon, not sure what programmes they're offering there

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » March 25th, 2020, 10:50 pm

For the last 10 years or so I've heard everyone saying how UTT no good, not accredited, etc. I have been fortunate though to meet a lot of senior persons across various local technical industries and they always have good things to say about UTT graduates. Some prefer hiring them over UWI grads because of the practical exposure as someone else said.

The school administration might be whole different issue though like Gladiator said. Lots of layoffs and internal politics in the last few years. Definitely something to pay attention to.

Hope this helps.
BTW, which BASc are you considering, OP?

carluva
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carluva » March 25th, 2020, 11:48 pm

OP, some time ago you created a thread along similar lines and I PMd you with some guidance and also to offer assistance. You declined the assistance as, at that time, I believe you were looking into something along the lines of labwork, iirc.

There are a few tuners who will respond to you with truth and fact and know of what they speak. However, many others will just tell you a heap of fluff based on their limited knowledge and give you false expectations.

I can offer some guidance especially in relation to accreditation of engineering degrees because this is a topic many people are not familiar with and misguide or mis-speak. I can direct you to the right resources and properly explain the concept of accreditation and what this truly means. It's just too much to type.

Just as I did the last time, I am willing to offer some guidance. Feel free to PM me your number and I can call you as it is easier to explain. The ball is in your court once more.
Last edited by carluva on March 25th, 2020, 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

carluva
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carluva » March 25th, 2020, 11:51 pm

viewtopic.php?t=746373

That was the thread you created, along similar lines, to which I offered some guidance.

Chris00007
Street 2NR

Postby Chris00007 » March 26th, 2020, 12:00 am

NR8 wrote:For the last 10 years or so I've heard everyone saying how UTT no good, not accredited, etc. I have been fortunate though to meet a lot of senior persons across various local technical industries and they always have good things to say about UTT graduates. Some prefer hiring them over UWI grads because of the practical exposure as someone else said.

The school administration might be whole different issue though like Gladiator said. Lots of layoffs and internal politics in the last few years. Definitely something to pay attention to.

Hope this helps.
BTW, which BASc are you considering, OP?

Im considering the BASc in Utilities Engineering (Mechanical option) as I did the NETD in mechanical engineering. And getting in to UTT isn't a problem for me at all and everything concerning admission and administration isn't an issue for me

carluva
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carluva » March 26th, 2020, 12:10 am

The current intake for that programme is accredited by the IET and meets some of the educational requirements for CEng as set out in UK SPEC. In order to meet all the educational requirements for CEng as set out in UK SPEC, further learning (i.e. studies and programmes) is required.

I see you sent me a PM but you seem reluctant to give your number. I'm not begging you my friend, but it's just too much to type to explain.

elec2020
Sweet on this forum

Postby elec2020 » March 26th, 2020, 6:58 am

Given that the economic impact of covid 19 will most likely last till mid or late next year (at the rate they are going the price of a barrel of oil may soon be equivalent to a bucket of kfc) is it wise to jump into a 2 year programme when the security of your financial resources for that period may be uncertain

alfa
3NE 2NR for life

Postby alfa » March 26th, 2020, 7:12 am

Accreditation is a non issue. Regardless of if the program is accredited or not local employers will always prefer uwi and in most cases the employers themselves would have went to uwi and have a natural bias as such. I know for a fact ttec does not accept utt degrees at least in the past. So while it is a master's it will never be ranked similar to uwi in Trinidad despite what accreditations and certifying bodies they might be affiliated with

carluva
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carluva » March 26th, 2020, 7:24 am

Unfortunately, that statement about employers is very true.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”