TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8306
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Location: POS

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby bluefete » September 16th, 2020, 12:11 pm

killercow wrote:
Numb3r4 wrote:Damn....anyone got any ideas as to who might be stepping up to the plate?
I'll take a wild guess and say maybe Sabga, Derek Chin or Mouttet?


Check who was opening businesses by the dozens close to Trincity Mall last year and you will know.

User avatar
Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin
Posts: 22777
Joined: March 24th, 2003, 10:27 am
Location: T&T
Contact:

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 16th, 2020, 12:19 pm

teems1 wrote:Every time I've been to Sawgrass or Dolphin, it's been beyond crowded.

A lot of that is tourists

User avatar
Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11872
Joined: February 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: People's Republic of Bananas

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby Dizzy28 » September 16th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Trinidad have malls but Dolphin and Sawgrass represents a distinctive subset of malls in the US. They are both outlet malls with a very different demographic target market.
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
teems1 wrote:Every time I've been to Sawgrass or Dolphin, it's been beyond crowded.

A lot of that is tourists

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 14819
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby pugboy » September 16th, 2020, 1:35 pm

and george aboud building a mall down the road too


bluefete wrote:
killercow wrote:
Numb3r4 wrote:Damn....anyone got any ideas as to who might be stepping up to the plate?
I'll take a wild guess and say maybe Sabga, Derek Chin or Mouttet?


Check who was opening businesses by the dozens close to Trincity Mall last year and you will know.

User avatar
Les Bain
punchin NOS
Posts: 3613
Joined: May 17th, 2012, 9:46 pm
Location: Cruising for chicks

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby Les Bain » September 16th, 2020, 2:38 pm

1% real making a killing though people throwing around the term like is a bad thing.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8306
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Location: POS

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby bluefete » September 16th, 2020, 2:57 pm

Les Bain wrote:1% real making a killing though people throwing around the term like is a bad thing.


It is not a bad thing if you are benefitting.

"Some animals are more equal than others." (George Orwell - Animal Farm, 1945)

Ben_spanna
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2418
Joined: October 28th, 2016, 9:25 am

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby Ben_spanna » September 16th, 2020, 3:08 pm

mean while amazons owner became the worlds wealthiest man during covid lockdown worldwide!

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8306
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Location: POS

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby bluefete » September 16th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:mean while amazons owner became the worlds wealthiest man during covid lockdown worldwide!


It is all down to your business model.

adnj
punchin NOS
Posts: 2950
Joined: February 24th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby adnj » September 16th, 2020, 3:33 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
teems1 wrote:Every time I've been to Sawgrass or Dolphin, it's been beyond crowded.


A lot of that is tourists


Outlet Malls in the US didn't fare so well Christmas 2919

Outlet Malls Bucked the Shift to Online. Until Now.

By Suzanne Kapner and Esther Fung
Oct. 5, 2019 9:00 am ET

Outlet stores were long a source of growth for retailers, which have been hard hit by the shift to online shopping and competition from startups. Shoppers flocked to these centers for bargains they couldn’t traditionally get at malls, but now outlets are showing the same signs of stress as traditional stores.

There are only about 400 U.S. outlet centers compared with more than 1,100 traditional malls, according to the International Council of Shopping Centers. That means outlet centers aren’t struggling against the oversupply that has plagued traditional malls, which have seen dozens of their retail tenants close stores or go out of business as more shoppers buy online.

But outlets are feeling the effects of retail bankruptcies and the shift to online shopping, too. Chains including Gymboree and Charlotte Russe have closed locations in outlet centers, and Forever 21, which filed for bankruptcy protection this week, plans to close around a dozen outlet stores.

Outlet centers are also facing stiffer competition from off-price chains such as T.J. Maxx and Nordstrom Rack, which are located closer to where most people live, as well as from regular stores that have cut prices to remain competitive.

“The proposition of driving (typically) much further distances to get to an outlet center seems that much less attractive,” Paul Lejuez, a Citi analyst, wrote in a recent research note.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/outlet-mal ... 1570280437
Last edited by adnj on September 16th, 2020, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Les Bain
punchin NOS
Posts: 3613
Joined: May 17th, 2012, 9:46 pm
Location: Cruising for chicks

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby Les Bain » September 16th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Are our 1% saviours to thank for the breath of life given to Piarco Plaza? The place was circling the drain hole before Domino's, Church's and Rituals show up.

Would be nice if they turn it into a food hub. Hopefully George's and Ams cafe benefit from the extra visitors.

User avatar
eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12992
Joined: March 10th, 2006, 1:36 am
Location: Feeding asparagus to dolphins
Contact:

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby eliteauto » October 11th, 2020, 3:08 pm

Movietowne Chaguanas closes permanently: Derek Chin explains why

After a decade in operation the Movietowne Chaguanas branch will be permanently closed.

Business magnate and Movietowne owner Derek Chin issued a statement informing that the decision stems from the Covid-19 pandemic as well as a "difficult landlord".

"I wish to inform you that we will be closing our Movietowne Chaguanas branch for good as the pandemic along with a difficult landlord has made it uneconomical for us to continue," he stated.

Chin cited the uncertainty surrounding Government's Covid-19 measures as also being a factor.

"The extended shut down and the continued uncertainty has made it extremely difficult to continue and in the interest of keeping our overall business in a survival mode we felt this was the best alternative for us," he stated.

Chin stated that Movietowne's other locations in Port of Spain and C3 San Fernando Tobago will remain open when the restrictions are relaxed.

"We wish to thank our many Central and Chaguanas patrons for the support over the last 10 years." he stated.

The deadly Covid-19 virus dealt a financial blow to the cinema world since it hit this country in March forcing all theatres to close.

Cinemas were reopened in June but that was short-lived as they were shut down again a few weeks later in August after the number of cases increased.

Cinemas globally are also closing their doors.

A report in the UK's Sunday Times last week stated that Regal Cinemas owner of Cineworld is closing all of the chain’s locations in the United States as well as its theaters in the United Kingdom.

Cineworld operates 128 venues in the U.K. and Ireland in addition to Regal’s 546 theaters in the U.S. consisting of 7,211 screens.

Regal is the second largest theatrical chain in the US after AMC, while Cineworld is the UK' s biggest cinema operator.

According to the report Cineworld reported a loss of a $1.6 billion (UK currency) in the first half of 2020 in recent days, with “no certainty” as to what impact the pandemic could have in the future.

A BBC report stated that over 5500 jobs are expected to be affected in the UK.

https://trinidadexpress.com/newsextra/m ... 81b27.html

User avatar
ProtonPowder
Riding on 16's
Posts: 1136
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 1:15 pm

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby ProtonPowder » October 11th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Who is the landlord?

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 14819
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby pugboy » October 11th, 2020, 4:22 pm

the main price plaza is rahael
dunno if that side is same

ProtonPowder wrote:Who is the landlord?

Kewell35
Riding on 16's
Posts: 1271
Joined: August 27th, 2014, 8:13 am

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby Kewell35 » October 11th, 2020, 4:41 pm

eliteauto wrote:Movietowne Chaguanas closes permanently: Derek Chin explains why

After a decade in operation the Movietowne Chaguanas branch will be permanently closed.

Business magnate and Movietowne owner Derek Chin issued a statement informing that the decision stems from the Covid-19 pandemic as well as a "difficult landlord".

"I wish to inform you that we will be closing our Movietowne Chaguanas branch for good as the pandemic along with a difficult landlord has made it uneconomical for us to continue," he stated.

Chin cited the uncertainty surrounding Government's Covid-19 measures as also being a factor.

"The extended shut down and the continued uncertainty has made it extremely difficult to continue and in the interest of keeping our overall business in a survival mode we felt this was the best alternative for us," he stated.

Chin stated that Movietowne's other locations in Port of Spain and C3 San Fernando Tobago will remain open when the restrictions are relaxed.

"We wish to thank our many Central and Chaguanas patrons for the support over the last 10 years." he stated.

The deadly Covid-19 virus dealt a financial blow to the cinema world since it hit this country in March forcing all theatres to close.

Cinemas were reopened in June but that was short-lived as they were shut down again a few weeks later in August after the number of cases increased.

Cinemas globally are also closing their doors.

A report in the UK's Sunday Times last week stated that Regal Cinemas owner of Cineworld is closing all of the chain’s locations in the United States as well as its theaters in the United Kingdom.

Cineworld operates 128 venues in the U.K. and Ireland in addition to Regal’s 546 theaters in the U.S. consisting of 7,211 screens.

Regal is the second largest theatrical chain in the US after AMC, while Cineworld is the UK' s biggest cinema operator.

According to the report Cineworld reported a loss of a $1.6 billion (UK currency) in the first half of 2020 in recent days, with “no certainty” as to what impact the pandemic could have in the future.

A BBC report stated that over 5500 jobs are expected to be affected in the UK.

https://trinidadexpress.com/newsextra/m ... 81b27.html


wtf

screwbash
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1606
Joined: April 19th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby screwbash » October 11th, 2020, 5:20 pm

ramish and leela in the crossie in san juan closed down. i seeing it empty.

User avatar
MaxPower
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6204
Joined: October 31st, 2010, 2:37 pm

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby MaxPower » October 11th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Friends,

Remember i told you Trinis many many times...

The 1% is always a step ahead....

Always.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8306
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Location: POS

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby bluefete » October 11th, 2020, 5:34 pm

screwbash wrote:ramish and leela in the crossie in san juan closed down. i seeing it empty.


They had a case of Covid in the earlies.

https://www.cnc3.co.tt/12-grocery-worke ... t-results/

Did they ever re-open though? Phone not even ringing.

If they closed, this should have made the news.

But things really bad when a grocery closes down in a pandemic.

There is more to that than meets the eye.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8306
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Location: POS

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby bluefete » October 11th, 2020, 5:40 pm

Massy bought them out about 6 months ago.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 15774
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby Dave » October 11th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Entire property has been for sale for a long time actually. Don't think covid made that happen.
screwbash wrote:ramish and leela in the crossie in san juan closed down. i seeing it empty.

RedVEVO
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6574
Joined: March 8th, 2017, 1:05 am

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown - Truth Report

Postby RedVEVO » October 11th, 2020, 5:43 pm

FordeG wrote:
eliteauto wrote:Uncorked liquor store Tragarete Road is also closing, small business development needs more focus now. Home based community services are key now


I agree, people need to start changing their business models!


Good comment :D

Business models have to change :!:

Work ethics have to change :!:

Especially in the Public Service because a majority of taxes go into keeping useless jobs alive :roll: :roll:

Example: A Well Known Organization in " Public Service " cuts 2 acres of land by the H'way . But they so slow and efficient than when they finish cut 1 acre and start on the other .. Tall tall grass already in the first acre :lol: :lol:

RedVEVO
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6574
Joined: March 8th, 2017, 1:05 am

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby RedVEVO » October 11th, 2020, 6:02 pm

MaxPower wrote:Friends,

Remember i told you Trinis many many times...

The 1% is always a step ahead....

Always.


Exactly :D

They ( business people ) have already moved or opened business in other islands whose " Administrators " are more business progressive and non-competing in thinking and method. :wink:

Business and "Administrators" in T&T have ALWAYS fought each other viciously .

Government's role is NOT to compete with business or attempt to control .

Gov't wants to be the wholesaler of petrol NP and this is a plan for chaos :roll: :roll:

User avatar
teems1
30 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2610
Joined: March 15th, 2007, 4:44 pm

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby teems1 » October 11th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Rahael jamming Chin is infighting between the 1%.

Not sure how that affects the 99%.
MaxPower wrote:Friends,

Remember i told you Trinis many many times...

The 1% is always a step ahead....

Always.

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 15774
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby Dave » October 11th, 2020, 7:10 pm

The Asians especially the Chinese are a threat to the Syrian community.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8548
Joined: August 19th, 2004, 2:48 pm

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby Redman » October 11th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Of course...Chins major business partner in MT is a Syrian.

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 14819
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby pugboy » October 11th, 2020, 7:48 pm

chin is actually a minority player in the group
it’s the scott folks who are the heavyweight investors

screwbash
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1606
Joined: April 19th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby screwbash » October 12th, 2020, 3:49 am

eliteauto wrote:Movietowne Chaguanas closes permanently: Derek Chin explains why

After a decade in operation the Movietowne Chaguanas branch will be permanently closed.

Business magnate and Movietowne owner Derek Chin issued a statement informing that the decision stems from the Covid-19 pandemic as well as a "difficult landlord".

"I wish to inform you that we will be closing our Movietowne Chaguanas branch for good as the pandemic along with a difficult landlord has made it uneconomical for us to continue," he stated.

Chin cited the uncertainty surrounding Government's Covid-19 measures as also being a factor.

"The extended shut down and the continued uncertainty has made it extremely difficult to continue and in the interest of keeping our overall business in a survival mode we felt this was the best alternative for us," he stated.

Chin stated that Movietowne's other locations in Port of Spain and C3 San Fernando Tobago will remain open when the restrictions are relaxed.

"We wish to thank our many Central and Chaguanas patrons for the support over the last 10 years." he stated.

The deadly Covid-19 virus dealt a financial blow to the cinema world since it hit this country in March forcing all theatres to close.

Cinemas were reopened in June but that was short-lived as they were shut down again a few weeks later in August after the number of cases increased.

Cinemas globally are also closing their doors.

A report in the UK's Sunday Times last week stated that Regal Cinemas owner of Cineworld is closing all of the chain’s locations in the United States as well as its theaters in the United Kingdom.

Cineworld operates 128 venues in the U.K. and Ireland in addition to Regal’s 546 theaters in the U.S. consisting of 7,211 screens.

Regal is the second largest theatrical chain in the US after AMC, while Cineworld is the UK' s biggest cinema operator.

According to the report Cineworld reported a loss of a $1.6 billion (UK currency) in the first half of 2020 in recent days, with “no certainty” as to what impact the pandemic could have in the future.

A BBC report stated that over 5500 jobs are expected to be affected in the UK.

https://trinidadexpress.com/newsextra/m ... 81b27.html


great, hopefully there is an ease up of traffic from east to west with the one mc road for all them cars to pass to get the chaguanas east. so much dotish mayor pass tru and become minister or mp and still do nothing for chaguanas. the porn star and she mamo was the worst. if they fix the traffic problem in chaguanas business will survive and grow. that gridlock from the main road to medford make me bypass chaguanas and take my business elsewhere. i will reach as far as food basket or the two variety store before the gas station, i will drive to couva to go by the wizz rather than go chaguanas

User avatar
ru$$ell
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2465
Joined: August 4th, 2003, 10:01 am
Location: one up....

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby ru$$ell » October 12th, 2020, 6:19 am

screwbash wrote: i will drive to couva to go by the wizz rather than go chaguanas


why not just go to the pennywise plaza location? :!:

screwbash
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1606
Joined: April 19th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby screwbash » October 12th, 2020, 6:46 am

ru$$ell wrote:
screwbash wrote: i will drive to couva to go by the wizz rather than go chaguanas


why not just go to the pennywise plaza location? :!:


if it dont have traffic to get there it have traffic to get out. the medford overpass have too much traffic, chaguanas main road is gridlock and chase village overpass is same pressure. it easier to pass by reinze take one or two back road and buss out rite by wizz than to go anyone in chaguanas. plus it have a young indian fella who working upstairs there, fella brilliant yes.
Last edited by screwbash on October 13th, 2020, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
death365
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 789
Joined: June 24th, 2013, 2:30 pm
Location: San Juan

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby death365 » October 12th, 2020, 6:47 am

Who the burden of adjustment from Covid and low oil and gas prices affects most:

1, Poorer families
2. Poorer communities
3. Smes
4. Lower and middle class workers
5. Government
6. Goodwill org
7. Big businesses
8. Upper class of society

In that order.

User avatar
zoom rader
TunerGod
Posts: 22024
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: Grand Cayman

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby zoom rader » October 13th, 2020, 7:51 am

death365 wrote:Who the burden of adjustment from Covid and low oil and gas prices affects most:

1, Poorer families
2. Poorer communities
3. Smes
4. Lower and middle class workers
5. Government
6. Goodwill org
7. Big businesses
8. Upper class of society

In that order.
It's the lower class of ppl wanted this red Goverment.

Let dem take wood

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: De Dragon, Dizzy28, Duane 3NE 2NR, SMc, timelapse and 180 guests