TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

1 million International Students in the US to be sent home?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » July 8th, 2020, 7:19 am

One million foreign students risk being frozen out of US colleges. Some might never come back

Trump driven or not? i dont think ameerica really understands how much International students contribute to their educational system as we pay alot more than their Us students for the same thing, but say what , next thing that will happen is that US universities start closing down due to lack of funding.... well done orange face!

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/08/amer ... index.html

(CNN)In two months, 19-year-old Tianyu Fang is due to start his first semester at one of the most prestigious schools in America: Stanford University in California. Now, the Chinese national isn't sure if he'll make it.
Fang is one of the million or so international students who could be made to leave the United States if their universities switch to online-only learning, under a rule announced by Washington on Monday. Those who don't leave voluntarily face deportation.
Some universities have announced they will deliver all courses online due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has infected more than 2.9 million people and killed more than 130,000 in the US alone. Other universities are still planning to run classes on campus, but with the US outbreak still not under control, there's a risk that those institutions could go remote, too.

More than half of international students in the US come from Asia. In the 2018-2019 academic year, 370,000 students were from China, 202,000 from India, and 52,000 from South Korea.
International students may need to leave US if their universities transition to online-only learning
International students may need to leave US if their universities transition to online-only learning
For Fang, who has studied in the US since middle school but returned to Beijing earlier this year, Monday's announcement exacerbates an already complicated situation. To get around the US ban on travelers who have been in China in the past two weeks, he planned to fly from China to Cambodia. After 14 days, he would hopefully fly to the US.
Now, things are even harder. Currently, Stanford plans to stagger which students are on campus each semester to maintain social distancing. First year students will be on campus in the fall and summer terms -- meaning Fang will be studying remotely in one semester and will have to leave the US for that period.
Even that will be challenging. There are few flights between the US and China, where international arrivals have to quarantine for two weeks.
Now, Fang is weighing up whether he wants to pay about $60,000 a year to study remotely from China. If he does, he won't have all the unplanned interactions and conversations that usually come with a school experience.
Tianyu Fang in Boston's Chinatown. Fang completed his high school in the Boston area.
Tianyu Fang in Boston's Chinatown. Fang completed his high school in the Boston area.
Living with uncertainty
For now, 29-year-old Chinese national Chen Na isn't affected by Monday's changes.
At New York University (NYU), where Chen is halfway through a two-year master's degree, her courses will be a combination of online and offline when fall semester starts.
But there's a chance that NYU could go back to online-only classes, as it did in March.
"I can't stop thinking about it," she said. "I just feel kind of powerless and vulnerable. I will try my best to stay here legally."
Chinese students spend billions overseas. Coronavirus travel bans will leave some countries seriously out of pocket
Chinese students spend billions overseas. Coronavirus travel bans will leave some countries seriously out of pocket
If courses go online-only, transferring to another university won't be an option -- few other schools offer the Interactive Telecommunications Program Chen is studying.
Instead, she would have to try to go back to China, which would be expensive.
When Chen first heard the rule change, she felt desensitized as there have been a number of other policies that make things more difficult for international students.
In May, for instance, New York Times and Reuters reported that the US was planning to cancel the visas of thousands of Chinese graduate students and researchers with ties to universities affiliated with the People's Liberation Army. In April, Republican Senator Tom Cotton suggested Chinese students at US universities shouldn't be allowed to study science and technology. The Trump administration has also made a litany of changes to the US immigration system, citing the coronavirus pandemic, which have resulted in barring swaths of immigrants from coming to the country.
"We don't have much power here, and then sometimes we become the sacrifice for all these political games," Chen said. "I'm really aware of my foreign status here, I know I'm a foreigner. I don't necessarily see an increasing hostility from other people, but I do feel like policy-wise, it's crushing us."
The difficulty in getting home
It may be harder for some students to get home than others.
Theresa Cardinal Brown, director of immigration and cross-border policy at the Bipartisan Policy Center, says some student might not be able to home might at all.
"The bigger issue is some of these countries have travel restrictions on and they can't go home, so what do they do then?" she added. "It's a conundrum for a lot of students."
India, the US' second-biggest source of international students, has closed its borders to commercial flights, although it is still running repatriation flights.
Maitri Parsana, who has just finished her third year of biological sciences at the University of Buffalo in New York state, doesn't know how she would get back to India if she was forced to leave.
Maitri Parsana in the United States, where she has studied at the University of Buffalo for three years.
Maitri Parsana in the United States, where she has studied at the University of Buffalo for three years.
Her university has said it will offer hybrid courses, but the 22-year-old fromo Gujarat state, still doesn't know whether her specific classes will be online or offline.
Parsana says there are no flights to India, but she hopes her government would arrange flights to get stranded students back home.
"I am definitely scared, I really don't know what to do. I was already stressed about my school and now i have to stress about one more thing," she said, adding that the US appears to be focusing on international students rather than addressing real problems, such as the pandemic.
"We just feel like we're being pushed away from this country for no reason."
Business impacts
It's not just students who may be hurt by Monday's decision. It could impact the US economy, too.
In 2018, students from China, India and South Korea alone contributed more than $25 billion to the economy, according to non-profit Institute of International Education.
If students are forced to leave the country, they may not be willing to continue paying tuition fees to study remotely from a different time zone.
Nicholas Henderson, the co-founder and director of Essai Education, a Delhi based test-prep and counseling institute for Indian students wanting to study in the US, said that the regulations may prompt colleges to change their policies to hybrid models, for instance, to help people stay.
"I think what Covid has shown is that universities are willing to work with the students," he said.
But even so, there's the risk that the US' policies may discourage future students from choosing to study in the US.
When Parsana first came to the US, she planned to try to settle there. Now, she says she doesn't want to live in the US, and would encourage students looking to study abroad to consider another country, like Australia or Canada.
"I don't know what (the US government is) trying to do because their economy is going to go to ashes if they do this," Parsana said. "If they keep on doing these kinds of rules, not a lot of people are going to come here for their education."
Career impacts
If international students are sent home early, it's not just their education that will be impacted. Students could end up missing out on job opportunities -- often one of the reasons they might have chosen to study in the US in the first place.
In the US, international students qualify for a scheme that allows them to work in the country after they graduate.
Student shares frustration on possibility of having to leave US

Student shares frustration on possibility of having to leave US 03:43
A 24-year-old South Korean university student says he feels "disappointed" that, due to Monday's policy change, he may miss out on that scheme. CNN agreed not to use his real name because of his concerns for privacy.
He only has one semester of his degree to go, and when he signed up for his courses, they were all offline. Now, they have changed to online courses, and it seems like he will either have to go home or transfer to another university for his final semester.
"I have no idea what's going on," he said. "I just renewed my house contract."
If he goes home, he won't qualify for the temporary employment scheme -- and if he wants to work in the US, he'll likely need to find a company to sponsor his visa.
"I'm so frustrated," he said. "I just want to get some opportunities at least to compete."

Chen is faced with a similar situation. Before the pandemic, she planned to stay in the US and find a job after graduating in 2021. But now, Chen is weighing up whether the US is the best place to be, after all.
"I wonder if it's really worth it to go through all of this ... instead of finding a country that values me more," she said.

CNN's Esha Mitra contributed to this story from New Delhi.

MG Man
2NRholic

Re: 1 million International Students in the US to be sent home?

Postby MG Man » July 8th, 2020, 7:51 am

tl;dr
but what's the problem? If a uni is offering distance learning, why do you need to live in the people country?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 8th, 2020, 7:54 am

a lil timezone inconvenience if you living on the otherside of the world to get in on the live classes

MG Man wrote:tl;dr
but what's the problem? If a uni is offering distance learning, why do you need to live in the people country?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 8th, 2020, 8:00 am

Bring ALL Trinis home.

T&T is alot safer and it will give the countries they came from a ease up with the littering.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 8th, 2020, 8:18 am

pugboy wrote:a lil timezone inconvenience if you living on the otherside of the world to get in on the live classes

With those numbers from India and China they would very well run courses to suit Asian time zones

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 8th, 2020, 8:34 am

pugboy wrote:a lil timezone inconvenience if you living on the otherside of the world to get in on the live classes

lulwhut?
Next ting you gonna say it's impossible to work shift

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » July 8th, 2020, 8:47 am

A major part of uni life is socializing... uni life is how most people in academia developed their personalities and/or decided what areas to specialize in... for example in economics their is health econ... finance econ... social econ... energy econ... etc... deciding on which area to go in is not something to take lightly... having peers that u socialize with in these fields helps u make u to make a more informed judgement on which of these areas to go into

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 8th, 2020, 8:49 am

elec2020 wrote:

A major part of uni life is socializing... uni life is how most people in academia developed their personalities and/or decided what areas to specialize in... for example in economics their is health econ... finance econ... social econ... energy econ... etc... deciding on which area to go in is not something to take lightly... having peers that u socialize with in these fields helps u make u to make a more informed judgement on which of these areas to go into
Yup uni life kinda creates an individual.

It like PNM ghettos, they create you in certain behaviours

MG behaviour is borderline PNM and that of the Alphabet community
Last edited by zoom rader on July 8th, 2020, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 8th, 2020, 9:11 am

elec2020 wrote:

The hard part is that with all that you said there which is true, some American unis are still charging the same fees
Students have lost in classroom teaching, the ability to edu socialize, peer learn etc but have to fork out the same fees.
Hopefully students win the class action lawsuit for a reduction and refund in fees
https://www.expertinstitute.com/resourc ... -closures/

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » July 8th, 2020, 9:18 am

zoom rader wrote:
elec2020 wrote:

Yup uni life kinda creates an individual.

It like PNM ghettos, they create you in certain behaviours

MG behaviour is borderline PNM and that of the Alphabet community

Lol at PNM ghettos... wonder what the results for those areas will... so far pics and videos of MPs visiting residents show very displeased individuals... good signs hopefully

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » July 8th, 2020, 9:20 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
elec2020 wrote:

The hard part is that with all that you said there which is true, some American unis are still charging the same fees
Students have lost in classroom teaching, the ability to edu socialize, peer learn etc but have to fork out the same fees.
Hopefully students win the class action lawsuit for a reduction and refund in fees
https://www.expertinstitute.com/resourc ... -closures/

Not sure... student loans (approximately 1.5 trillion dollars in loans has been made to students... and u ignoring the repackaging of these loans as securitized debt instruments and also life insurance policies that may be required for these loans) are a big racket in the US... if fees go down u basically bringing down the returns from that racket... so basically these students battling the educational and financial sector... idk if they will win that battle given the links those two sectors have

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 8th, 2020, 9:26 am

elec2020 wrote:

pretty sure the origin countries have universities too

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » July 8th, 2020, 9:36 am

MG Man wrote:
elec2020 wrote:

yeah, true
but if you were trying to make yourself more marketable with a degree from an internationally accredited & recognized US based university, especially if you plan to live & work in the US after, a degree from attending BackwaterU while you living under d devil toenail will limit your opportunities.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 8th, 2020, 9:42 am

^^ UTT doh matter

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » July 8th, 2020, 9:53 am

zoom rader wrote:^^ UTT doh matter

daz not entirely true eh. UTT does matter.

but that depends on whether or not plan to work outside of T&T and if you actually want to get the position you applying for or not

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » July 8th, 2020, 9:56 am

MG Man wrote:
elec2020 wrote:

Maybe... like us... they realize employers prefer to hire or comepnsate at a higher level foreign university graduates than local university graduates... some employers forever believe foreign university graduates better than local university graduates... for example... in my case i (with my Msc from uwi) was hired alongside someone with a Bsc (from London School of Economics) for the same job positions... from early i was told by someone on the interview committee the Bsc person was their first choice and i scraped through... fast forward 3 months later... following the probation period i was kept on while the other person was let go... they didnt state why but in my opinion it was obviously because their foreigb first class Bsc could not make up the fact that the job calls for people with Msc qualifications

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » July 8th, 2020, 10:49 am

UWI is one of the best Universities on the planet, their Engineering Degrees are triple accredited on par with the top colleges in the world even Ivy League.

Forget useless ranking that incorporates "teaching scores and facilities etc" that has no meaning when it comes to accreditation.

People need to appreciate what we have in Trinidad, when you study locally you also save the country on it's precious Foreign Exchange and you may also limit your narcissistic personality.

In any event this may not even matter one arse since Trump said he would sign an Executive Order to force all schools to reopen.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 8th, 2020, 11:00 am

The problem is that emergency remote teaching due to covid is not necessarily a full distance learning programme. When the normalcy returns, f2f classes will likely resume

There are people who started programmes f2f, have been thrown online due to campus closures, and now their student visa might be in trouble. If they on schol or other funding it can be a nightmare with paperwork and status.

limegreen
3NE 2NR for life

Postby limegreen » July 8th, 2020, 11:17 am

Many US universities have partnerships with uni’s in other countries. They can probably work something out temporarily.

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » July 8th, 2020, 11:36 am

This is another unpleasant and disorienting feature of life in a pandemic world.
The USA is really a study in paradox as it relates to dealing with covid19.......on the one hand no face mask mandate from federal authorities but mandate given to ICE as it relates to deportation of students.
USA covid19 mitigation priorities remains confusing.

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » July 8th, 2020, 12:00 pm

MG Man wrote:
elec2020 wrote:

part ah college live for trinis aboard .... is to "hook up" with a man or woman , get married an neva come back Trinidad. its almost a SOP. (standard operating procedure)

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » July 8th, 2020, 12:05 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:UWI is one of the best Universities on the planet, their Engineering Degrees are triple accredited on par with the top colleges in the world even Ivy League.

Forget useless ranking that incorporates "teaching scores and facilities etc" that has no meaning when it comes to accreditation.

People need to appreciate what we have in Trinidad, when you study locally you also save the country on it's precious Foreign Exchange and you may also limit your narcissistic personality.

In any event this may not even matter one arse since Trump said he would sign an Executive Order to force all schools to reopen.

Uwi is the best in what world? Uwi can't even fund itself. Harvard's endowment fund is over 40 billion USD. That's almost 300 billion TT. Could never compare the two.

Uwi is literally only comparable to what there is in the caribbean. Can't compare UWI to any other region in the world. The english speaking caribbean is only about 6 million ppl and this is who UWI mainly caters for.

I don't think that state funds should be used for foreign study though so I agree with that part about saving foreign exchange. The reality is that for alot of people, a foreign education is a pathway to a foreign life or to migrate.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » July 8th, 2020, 3:06 pm

^ they make top 100 though

http://www.looptt.com/content/uwi-makes-list-top-100-world-university-rankings

UWI makes list of top 100 in World University rankings
LOOP NEWS CREATED : 3 JULY 2020 T&T NEWS

The University of the West Indies (UWI) is now among a list of the world’s top 100 Universities in new rankings released by Times Higher Education (THE).

On June 24, THE revealed its 'Golden Age University Rankings' of established higher education institutions across the world that have been around for 50 to 80 years. This category compares institutions established between 1945 and 1967, using the same criteria and methodology as the World Rankings.

"These results reinforce that in spite of being a relatively young institution, and having limited access to financial and development resources, in just over 70 years the UWI has successfully built a solid reputation as the higher education leader," a statement from the regional university said.

Recently during the annual report presented to its University Council, Vice-Chancellor, Professor Sir Hilary Beckles noted that the academy is among the best in the world. This latest ranking affirms the UWI’s prestige and leadership as it is now a familiar and consistent name in the Times Higher Education's rankings and remains the sole Caribbean university on all the lists.

Reacting to the news, Vice-Chancellor Beckles said: “Our astounding performance in yet another ranking table beseeches the question, again—how does the UWI maintain its elite ranking located as it is, in an economy that has not seen sustained economic growth in 30 years? The answer is—our deep stakeholder commitment, focused leadership, and the power of dedicated, unwavering colleagues. It is no secret that for the greater part of its existence, the UWI has had to function with a significant measure of deficit financing as we deliver this public good, which is time and time again rated as world-class by international ranking standards. As we continue skilfully managing, we look forward to the roll-out of a new financial model that will see the University soaring to even higher heights.”

Vice-Chancellor Beckles also recalled that he set out on a strategic path, five years ago, to globally transform the UWI’s reputation before going to markets to raise revenue. “We are now at this juncture and we are pleased with the outcomes to date.”

Back in April, the UWI also appeared on THE’s Impact Rankings 2020 which maps how universities are responding to the world’s biggest concerns outlined in the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This is the only global performance table that assesses universities on their research, outreach and stewardship of the SDGs. Of the 768 universities from 85 countries on the table, the UWI ranked among the top 200 for its work on SDG3: Good Health and Wellbeing; SDG5: Gender Equality and SDG13: Climate Action.

The UWI’s Office of Global Partnerships and Sustainable Futures works to strengthen the regional university’s positioning and engagement with the 2030 global development agenda. Commenting on the Impact Rankings, the Office’s Director Dr Stacy Richards-Kennedy asserted: “This international recognition of the UWI’s contribution to advancing the 2030 agenda for sustainable development is a tribute to the hard work of our staff and students from various Faculties and Research Centres and Institutes across our five Campuses. Since the 2015 commitment of UN member states to the SDGs, The UWI has championed the central role of universities to national and regional engagement in the global development agenda through teaching, research, advocacy and partnerships, while at the same time serving as ‘living labs’ for sustainable institutional practices. During this UN-declared Decade of Action, The UWI will continue to intensify its efforts at leveraging its inter-disciplinary research and scientific expertise on the unique issues faced by Small Island Developing States (SIDS), to address the multi-dimensional development challenges facing the Caribbean.”

This Impact Rankings recognition further endorses the UWI’s advocacy on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. In January 2019, the International Association of Universities (IAU) selected the UWI as a global leader in the mobilisation of higher education and research institutions for sustainable development. The IAU designated it the lead institution for a Global University Consortium on SDG 13 in recognition of its research contributions on climate change and sustainable development.

The UWI’s work on SDG5 earned the spotlight in 2018, when the University launched a Gender Policy to formalise its commitment to gender justice and establish a framework for its implementation. The Policy serves as a blueprint to incorporate the issues of gender and development and to express the fundamental principles that are deemed vital to sustainable growth and development throughout the Caribbean.

The UWI also scored highly on SDG3 which measures universities’ research on key diseases and conditions, their support for healthcare professions, and the health of students and staff. Its strength in this area was demonstrated and reinforced over the past few months in its leadership through science and medicine in the Caribbean region’s fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, described by Vice-Chancellor Beckles as “The UWI’s finest hour.”

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » July 8th, 2020, 3:15 pm

^ That list is for universities that have been around for under 80 years old. Basically "new" universities. The oldest university in the world was founded in 1088. Oxford university is over 800 years old.

That's a good list to be mentioned amongst though.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 8th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Redress10 wrote:^ That list is for universities that have been around for under 80 years old. Basically "new" universities. The oldest university in the world was founded in 1088. Oxford university is over 800 years old.

University of Karueein, founded in 859 AD in Fez, Morocco.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 8th, 2020, 7:18 pm

zoom rader wrote:
Redress10 wrote:^ That list is for universities that have been around for under 80 years old. Basically "new" universities. The oldest university in the world was founded in 1088. Oxford university is over 800 years old.

And now for the correct answer:

The word university is derived from the Latin: universitas magistrorum et scholarium, which approximately means "community of teachers and scholars". The term was coined by the Italian University of Bologna, which, with a traditional founding date of 1088, is considered to be the first university. The origin of many medieval universities can be traced back to the Christian cathedral schools or monastic schools, which appeared as early as the 6th century and were run for hundreds of years as such before their formal establishment as universities in the high medieval period.

Other institutions of higher learning, such as those of ancient Greece, ancient Persia, ancient Rome, Byzantium, ancient China, ancient India and the Islamic world, are not included in this list owing to their cultural, historical, structural and juristic dissimilarities from the medieval European university from which the modern university evolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... _operation

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 8th, 2020, 7:28 pm

adnj wrote:
zoom rader wrote:

And now for the correct answer:

The word university is derived from the Latin: universitas magistrorum et scholarium, which approximately means "community of teachers and scholars". The term was coined by the Italian University of Bologna, which, with a traditional founding date of 1088, is considered to be the first university. The origin of many medieval universities can be traced back to the Christian cathedral schools or monastic schools, which appeared as early as the 6th century and were run for hundreds of years as such before their formal establishment as universities in the high medieval period.

Other institutions of higher learning, such as those of ancient Greece, ancient Persia, ancient Rome, Byzantium, ancient China, ancient India and the Islamic world, are not included in this list owing to their cultural, historical, structural and juristic dissimilarities from the medieval European university from which the modern university evolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... _operation
I think we are referring to unis that are still running.

popozan
Riding on 13's

Postby popozan » July 8th, 2020, 7:28 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:UWI is one of the best Universities on the planet, their Engineering Degrees are triple accredited on par with the top colleges in the world even Ivy League.

Okay, gimme some advice....what would be a good program for someone to study? Eng? Med? Place stacked with graduates

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » July 8th, 2020, 7:35 pm

popozan wrote:

Okay, gimme some advice....what would be a good program for someone to study? Eng? Med? Place stacked with graduates

Doesn't matter what you study as the university doesn't determine graduate absorption in the workplace, the economy does. As long as the economy is a mess, graduates will always find it hard to be employed.

Why do ppl in TT just use such a generic term as "engineering"? Do they actually mean "electrical engineering"?

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » July 8th, 2020, 8:42 pm

After you graduate, international students usually given a 90 day period.

They use this time to sort out their rents/leases and get back their deposit. End the cell phone contract. Close their bank accounts. Sell or ship their acquired furniture etc.

Do they do all these things now? Won't they need their apartments back for the semester after? Can they break their lease? What about furniture/phone, or even a car they purchased. It seems like a logistical nightmare.

DT seems to be using this as leverage to get universities to open, so he can claim schools are reopening.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”